Funky 15.3 VS HSU-VTF-15H - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I like Bass to go boom and shake the room for movie, but also like a smooth sounding tight accurate bass for listening to music watching TV. It would be 70% TV, movies 30% music. I have a medium sized listening room (17x14) but it is open into my kitchen and dining room.
Just when I thought I had my choice picked out (HSU VTF-15H) I saw the Funky Waves FW 15.3, 1000 watt sub in the same price range.
Any thought pros and cons between these 2 subs. Both look good.

FW 15.3 PSB, Now where did I put my beer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbender View Post
I like Bass to go boom and shake the room for movie, but also like a smooth sounding tight accurate bass for listening to music watching TV. It would be 70% TV, movies 30% music. I have a medium sized listening room (17x14) but it is open into my kitchen and dining room.
Just when I thought I had my choice picked out (HSU VTF-15H) I saw the Funky Waves FW 15.3, 1000 watt sub in the same price range.
Any thought pros and cons between these 2 subs. Both look good.
I wish I could help you decide. I have a pair of the HSU 15H. (which I like very much). I haven't listened to any of the FW subs.

If I was starting from ground zero, that sub is nicely discounted as a demo.
I doubt that sub would disappoint. (I'm a fan of dual subs minimum). You might want to consider the price of duals if you go that route in the future.

When you're figuring out your room size you need to calc cubic feet, that includes all open spaces. In your case, living room + kitchen and dining room.
post #3 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Sputter1,
It is hard deciding when I cant go listen to them before purchasing, also FW only has a one year warranty, and has not been in business very long. (Things to consider) I would like 2 but i can only get one by the wife right now. I have spent more than my share on audio equipment in the last few months.

post #4 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Where do you see a FW 15.3 in the same price range? If I had to choose between a VTF15h and a FW 15.3 with a 1k amp, I would go with the FW, but that FW should be almost twice as expensive. At least it is according to FW's website. Also, FW isn't as old as Hsu but they are not a brand spanking new company, they have been around for a few years at least.
post #5 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Where do you see a FW 15.3 in the same price range? If I had to choose between a VTF15h and a FW 15.3 with a 1k amp, I would go with the FW, but that FW should be almost twice as expensive. At least it is according to FW's website. Also, FW isn't as old as Hsu but they are not a brand spanking new company, they have been around for a few years at least.

Under specials demo for 1000 plus shipping.

Also does more amperage equal better sub?

Im just asking questions to make a better choice.

post #6 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

In that case - I personally would go with the FW....

I would prefer a TC driver in there and that would increase your SQ over whatever driver is in there - perhaps he would be flexible enough for the increase in cost... You won't get a better SQ driver then an 15" TC-LMS-R in comparison to any other sub out there IMO, except something from SVS, JL or Paradigms Sig subs. It would be worth the upgrade in driver.

The Passive Radiator sub will be closer in sound to a sealed sub but still have that enormous output of a ported....

You will absolutely find no better finish work from any manufacturer then funky waves, you can click on my link to see what you get from the pics... only the very best woodwork from Nathan at Funky Waves...

More amp power depends on the efficiency of the driver - so no more amp power doesn't always mean better..
post #7 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Sputter1,
It is hard deciding when I cant go listen to them before purchasing, also FW only has a one year warranty, and has not been in business very long. (Things to consider) I would like 2 but i can only get one by the wife right now. I have spent more than my share on audio equipment in the last few months.

I prefer a longer warranty as well. That wouldn't deter me but it's not my money.
post #8 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

In that case - I personally would go with the FW....

I would prefer a TC driver in there and that would increase your SQ over whatever driver is in there - perhaps he would be flexible enough for the increase in cost... You won't get a better SQ driver then an 15" TC-LMS-R in comparison to any other sub out there IMO, except something from SVS, JL or Paradigms Sig subs. It would be worth the upgrade in driver.

The Passive Radiator sub will be closer in sound to a sealed sub but still have that enormous output of a ported....

You will absolutely find no better finish work from any manufacturer then funky waves, you can click on my link to see what you get from the pics... only the very best woodwork from Nathan at Funky Waves...

More amp power depends on the efficiency of the driver - so no more amp power doesn't always mean better..

The active driver is the Dayton Titanic 15" from Parts express. The passives are the APR 15" from Creative sound solutions. The amp in the one on special is the Elemental designs LT1300.

Also can you please explain the Passive Radiator sub.

post #9 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The active driver is the Dayton Titanic 15" from Parts express. The passives are the APR 15" from Creative sound solutions. The amp in the one on special is the Elemental designs LT1300.

Also can you please explain the Passive Radiator sub.

That's horse of a different colour. Nice info digging on the parts btw.

That explains the 1 year on the amp which is 1/2 of most ID subs. Considering that ED has had amp issues in the past (not sure if this is one of them though) that would make me leary. Too many mixed opinions on ED stuff for my tastes.
I was expecting TC Sound drivers which is somewhat disappointing.

I'm sure it would sound good but not what I was expecting.
The amp alone would put me off. Of course that's my own opinion based on reading ED threads and not personal experience.

YMMV.
post #10 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Well with all the negative comments sputter has you should go with the HSU.
post #11 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Well with all the negative comments sputter has you should go with the HSU.

Those are just my thoughts man, yours or others may differ.
post #12 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Does any one know what driver and amp the HSU is running i have not found any info yet, on the HSU.

post #13 of 60 Old 05-11-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Those are just my thoughts man, yours or others may differ.

Thanks, I asked for people's opinion's and thoughts.

post #14 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does any one know what driver and amp the HSU is running i have not found any info yet, on the HSU.

I haven't seen anything either. One owner was going to post a couple inside the sub pictures but he never did.
post #15 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

I just got off the phone with Pete at HSU and their driver and electronics were designed by and or for, HSU. I feel like the the FW stuff is nice but i don't have enough feed back on the FW subs to go with them. I will be ordering a HSU sub in the am.

post #16 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I think you'll be glad you went with hsu. The customer service is great and my hsu vtf 3 mk 3 is fantastic. Very accurate and smooth in music and a beast on movies. Amp has a two yr warranty and 7 yrs on the speaker with the option to upgrade the amp warranty to 5 yrs. Honestly, while the hsu has a nice satin black finish and I like it, that other sub in the picture is gorgeous. There's nothing quite like the beauty of natural stained wood.
post #17 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Some people feel safer having that extra warranty. Others would prefer the better craftsmanship and performance. Each to their own. Good luck with whichever you choose...come back and give your impressions.
post #18 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just got off the phone with Pete at HSU and their driver and electronics were designed by and or for, HSU. I feel like the the FW stuff is nice but i don't have enough feed back on the FW subs to go with them. I will be ordering a HSU sub in the am.
I don't feel you'll be be disappointed.
post #19 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post
Some people feel safer having that extra warranty. Others would prefer the better craftsmanship and performance. Each to their own. Good luck with whichever you choose...come back and give your impressions.
I feel that FW has some of the best woodwork and craftsmanship bar-none. But the drivers and electronics in that sub are a little off par (on my limited experience and research) especially on a $1700 sub. My opinion is that FW is a great custom speaker manufacture and will build speakers to your wildest dreams and budget. Warpdve had some insane stuff built but he did not use any of the stock drivers or electronics offered by FW. If my budget allowed i would copy Warpdve and have FW build me a sub.

post #20 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I feel that FW has some of the best woodwork and craftsmanship bar-none. But the drivers and electronics in that sub are a little off par (on my limited experience and research) especially on a $1700 sub. My opinion is that FW is a great custom speaker manufacture and will build speakers to your wildest dreams and budget. Warpdve had some insane stuff built but he did not use any of the stock drivers or electronics offered by FW. If my budget allowed i would copy Warpdve and have FW build me a sub.
Not that it matters at this point, but the Titanic MKIII is a very well regarded driver, as are the CSS drivers. I'm not sure one could make a claim that the HSU driver is as good or better. As a DIY you'd be looking at about $800 to $900 for materials alone on that sub, so at $1k is a pretty good deal.

The LT1300 amps have had their bad rap for good measure, haven't heard of many failures of late though, but could be wrong. It's still one of the best performing plate amps under $1k though.

Definitely agree on the warranty side of things.

The HSU has a first class warranty, and lots of documented happy owners on this forum alone, and have been a well known and respected ID brand for numerous years. FW seems to be more geared towards the DIY'r who typically spends much more time researching drivers, enclosures, modelling them in WinISD to get an understanding of how well the sub performs, etc. and is therefore more comfortable than an average consumer in what FW delivers, and wants a custom made kick-*ss enclosure.

Anyhow, you're going to love your sub, and even if the FW one "could" outperform it, you'll not have to worry about it as you'll a) never know and b) will be too happy playing with your new toy to care.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #21 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

At this point i need to go with what i know. I do not doubt that the FW is an insanely good sub. but i do not understand that style of sub, nor could i find one person who has the FW sub and could give me some insight on what is sounds like, or how it performs and so on. I feel as a novice audio guy i need to go on what i know.

Also: all of the good subs seem to be factory direct, it is soooooooo hard to make a decision on audio gear without actually hearing them.

post #22 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Everything that came with Warp's subs were 'stock' items that FW uses regularly.

Anyway, you'll probably love the Hsu sub and it has a solid warranty on the driver.
post #23 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

sorry by stock i meant not offered without upgrade at least on the 15.3

post #24 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 View Post

Everything that came with Warp's subs were 'stock' items that FW uses regularly.

Anyway, you'll probably love the Hsu sub and it has a solid warranty on the driver.

I don't think that's true... he has the LMS drivers in his, which are considered to be the upgraded drivers. yeah they may be "in stock" but that isn't what he meant. The 15.3 FW sub does not have the same drivers. There are two reasons that people are loving his subs.
1.) Great workmanship
2.) The LMS drivers you can get in his beautiful cabinets.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #25 of 60 Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I don't think that's true... he has the LMS drivers in his, which are considered to be the upgraded drivers. yeah they may be "in stock" but that isn't what he meant. The 15.3 FW sub does not have the same drivers. There are two reasons that people are loving his subs.
1.) Great workmanship
2.) The LMS drivers you can get in his beautiful cabinets.

I'd say the LMS driver is what always comes with the sub he ordered, unless you wanted something different. All of the listed drivers that FW uses are great in their own right. The SDX15, Fi, Mach 5, Aurasound and on down the line...they all have their applications. Not everyone can afford the LMS 5400, but many want the incredible craftsmanship that's offered.
post #26 of 60 Old 05-13-2011, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Well i craw-fished and changed my mind. I did a little more research called Elemental designs and got some info on the amp,talked to a couple of DIY guys on the board, did some more research and I ordered the funky waves 15.3 I should have it in a week.
Thanks for all your guys input. Now I will just need to tune my system when it gets here.
Eric

post #27 of 60 Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well i craw-fished and changed my mind. I did a little more research called Elemental designs and got some info on the amp,talked to a couple of DIY guys on the board, did some more research and I ordered the funky waves 15.3 I should have it in a week.
Thanks for all your guys input. Now I will just need to tune my system when it gets here.
Eric

Let us know what you think. (i'm sure it will be decent).
post #28 of 60 Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Eric

Wow that's awesome. You got yourself a sweet lookin' gem with that sub. I'm really looking forward to seeing pics and hearing your impressions. Congrats.
post #29 of 60 Old 05-13-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I'm sure in due time we'll need to start FW owner's thread..... You won't be disappointed...congrats on the new sub..

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics Towers,STC(RAAL) & 200 SE in espresso54" of Panny BlissAnthem MRX 300,Sony BDP-S380, Technics CD player & Apple TV....

{ PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry}
post #30 of 60 Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I have went all Canadian psb and funky waves

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page