post #121 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy View Post

I was not referred to eD with that statement, I had been dragged into an OT debate concerning sub manufacturers in general. The 3 month example is actually another well regarded sub, and shows what can happen when parts and finances are not readily available. My apologies to eD for any confusion!

LOL, I tried to drag you back ON topic. No one ever has to drag you off topic, you do fine on your own. Just like with your veiled reference quoted above. Say what you mean instead of beating around the bush, then people can take what is said in the proper context.

Back on topic. FPB, have you ever considered that the Dayton powered A7S-450 might be a better sub than before? No need to answer, just consider it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I was not referred to eD with that statement, I had been dragged into an OT debate concerning sub manufacturers in general. The 3 month example is actually another well regarded sub, and shows what can happen when parts and finances are not readily available. My apologies to eD for any confusion!

I believe JTR still garners less punishment from you in comparison to CHT, though if I'm not mistaken Chase has never charged someone and shipped their product 3 months later. In fact, I believe they ship everything out next day, or same week at the latest. eD also had (has?) well documented issues with this for awhile- the first sub I purchased from them didn't ship for a month after I ordered, but this was a few years back.
post #123 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGBADDABOOM View Post

I believe JTR still garners less punishment from you in comparison to CHT, though if I'm not mistaken Chase has never charged someone and shipped their product 3 months later. In fact, I believe they ship everything out next day, or same week at the latest. eD also had (has?) well documented issues with this for awhile- the first sub I purchased from them didn't ship for a month after I ordered, but this was a few years back.

Hey, the dynamic duo! You two ever go anywhere without each other? CHT has issues that, IMO, go beyond JTR and eD, WAY beyond, but that's a subject for another thread! JTR should clean up their act if they are, indeed, charging customers credit cards and then not delivering for 3 months, that's unacceptable, but also OT for this thread. If the eD sub is better now let's see the review, then I'll believe it. I've already been lectured by "internet experts" on how the amps don't matter, the power doesn't matter, etc. Let me ask you, would you consider buying the A7-900 with the Dayton amp?
post #124 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I think I'd rather have a passive A7-900 + a Behringer.
post #125 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:

Hey, the dynamic duo! You two ever go anywhere without each other? CHT has issues that, IMO, go beyond JTR and eD, WAY beyond, but that's a subject for another thread! JTR should clean up their act if they are, indeed, charging customers credit cards and then not delivering for 3 months, that's unacceptable, but also OT for this thread. If the eD sub is better now let's see the review, then I'll believe it. I've already been lectured by "internet experts" on how the amps don't matter, the power doesn't matter, etc. Let me ask you, would you consider buying the A7-900 with the Dayton amp?

I would, the Dayton amp puts out nice power. Since we are talking about subs without DSP the only thing that matters is the amp giving enough juice to make the driver work within it's design. In this case it is or eD would not sell it. I drove my eD drivers with 900 watts and it was plenty!! I would not want to put more power into them, I would rather add another driver and amp for more spl.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #126 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

I think I'd rather have a passive A7-900 + a Behringer.

+ something else for HPF.
post #127 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGBADDABOOM View Post

+ something else for HPF.

Correct. That + eq too.
post #128 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I would, the Dayton amp puts out nice power. Since we are talking about subs without DSP the only thing that matters is the amp giving enough juice to make the driver work within it's design. In this case it is or eD would not sell it. I drove my eD drivers with 900 watts and it was plenty!! I would not want to put more power into them, I would rather add another driver and amp for more spl.

Ah, another member of the "amps don't matter, juice does" club! Then maybe it's time for them to mention the Dayton amp on their website, instead of continuing to brag about the (now unobtainable) stock amp?
post #129 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ah, another member of the "amps don't matter, juice does" club! Then maybe it's time for them to mention the Dayton amp on their website, instead of continuing to brag about the (now unobtainable) stock amp?

I own $13000 worth of multichannel amps that will power everything, so I would not say that(class A, AB). The Dayton amp worked much better on the CHT subs than the EP-4000 I used. I don't know if they have EQ built in or CHT relies on the single band EQ but without using the EQ the CHT subs extended much better with the Dayton than the EP-4000. Just what happened and at the time I never really tried to figure out why. I should have taken measurements.

eD would not use the Dayton amp if it did not meet their needs. Also, it has already been stated that this is temporary until they come out with their new amp. I have not used the eD amp so I can not comment on which would be better. I know for a fact that the Dayton works great on the subs I had.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #130 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I own $13000 worth of multichannel amps that will power everything, so I would not say that(class A, AB). The Dayton amp worked much better on the CHT subs than the EP-4000 I used. I don't know if they have EQ built in or CHT relies on the single band EQ but without using the EQ the CHT subs extended much better with the Dayton than the EP-4000. Just what happened and at the time I never really tried to figure out why. I should have taken measurements.

Along with the single band PEQ, there is a bass boost switch as well. About 4dB at 25 Hz. I doubt you used the HPF, but you might have been using the boost?

LL
post #131 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdman View Post

Along with the single band PEQ, there is a bass boost switch as well. About 4dB at 25 Hz. I doubt you used the HPF, but you might have been using the boost?

No way, I used A in my situation which is much flatter in my room. My frequency looked like that graph with the boost on. I had everything off with no EQ when I used the amp. The one thing that flatten out the graph's the best was the phase which got rid of a nasty 50-80hz null I had.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #132 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thought that could have explained why the Dayton had a better response than the EP and gave you better extension. That would mean the EP has a poorer response than the A curve, or just reacts better to the CHT load? I know Craig also tried the EP-4000 with a similar outcome.
post #133 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I never measured so it is just guessing. Let's just say it had more power than the EP-4000 running in stereo. I never used the EP in bridged mode.

AVR-Yamaha A830
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
post #134 of 149 Old 06-20-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
The one thing that flatten out the graph's the best was the phase which got rid of a nasty 50-80hz null I had.
Yep, fixed the same problem here. Variable phase is very helpful to have.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #135 of 149 Old 07-02-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 299
I received a PM from javygonx asking:

Quote:
Hi

I would like to know whats your impression with this sub using Dayton amp. I opened a thread about this few weeks ago named "eD a7s-450 with dayton amp?"

Many ppl were interested with your feedback.

Thanks

Before you read my response I'd just like to say that I don't mean to come off negative towards eD. Every time I spoke/emailed/im'ed one of their staff they were nothing but helpful and genuinely concerned with my needs and questions. Their customer service is/was fantastic. I just don't feel like I got all the information about the subwoofer before I purchased. At the time of ordering I knew nothing about an amp and driver change because it wasn't updated on the a7s-450 web page. For being an internet only dealer I feel that it's important to update a web page when parts and aesthetics are changing, otherwise how do people know what they're buying? I absolutely love my a7s-450 and I highly recommend it. I feel, however, that at the current time eD can't handle the demand because of out of stock parts and it was a little frustrating being charged $850 almost a month before I received the product.

Here's my response:

Quote:
So far I'm loving it. There are a few things that you should be aware of, though. While the sales staff and response time is impressive, it took over 3 weeks after ordering to actually receive the sub and I wholeheartedly think i got it that quick because I called and talked to Alex 3 times before it was sent out to me. I called the day after I ordered and Alex notified me that the LT/1300 was out of stock and I'd have to wait quite a while to receive a sub with that amp or I could get the dayton powered sub within 2 weeks. Three weeks go by so I called Alex back up and he notified me that the sub had been ready to ship for about a week but apparently they didn't have in stock the correct packing materials in stock to ship the sub properly. But Alex assured me that he would personally make sure that he got the sub shipped out the next day with shipping materials they had there to work with the A7s. I called the next day to make sure it got shipped out and after being put on hold by someone in their shipping department for about 20 minutes I was finally notified that it would get shipped out that day and I would receive a tracking number. I'm guessing they forgot to package it and thats what they were doing for the 20 minutes I was on hold. Fedex had it to my house within 3 days. It arrived perfectly intact and safe, but it was only packaged in one box and the only packing materials protecting the sub was some high density foam on each of the corners. If anything poked through the box it could have easily damaged the sub or driver. The next surprise was when I got the sub out of the box. I noticed that the driver was painted matte black, not the typical silver with the elemental designs insignia across it. While it looks okay, it looks a lot worse without the silver paint and decal. Also, I ordered the sub on June 2nd and now it's July 2nd and I have yet to receive the grill. I emailed Alex and he told me that they were out of grill cloth but I should be getting the grill soon. As far as the black driver goes I'll quote Alex in the email he sent me:

"Im sorry, I thought that we discussed this. All A7S-450's are now shipping with black cone drivers. The silver coned drivers had been produced in Asia by our parts vendor. As of the last couple weeks, we actually started producing the 18" woofers here in our Iowa facility. From customer feedback, most ran the product with the grill and the silver was covered up. Because of this, we decided to save some cost by not painting the cones silver. This allows us to invest even more labor in the US. They use the same components internally, but just different cosmetics. If you would like, we can have a small decal made that will be in whatever color you prefer. The decal would be our script logo."

hahaha, sorry for the rant. I LOVE the sub and it performs absolutely amazing. I'd still recommend the sub to people even after all the problems I've gone through. I'm going to post some pictures just so people know what it looks like and what they're buying because eD has yet to update their website about the driver. The only problem with my recommendation is that I've never heard the Asian driver paired with the LT/1300, so I could never give you a definitive answer on which is better. This sub I received works fantastic and is incredibly powerful.

I hope this helps.

-Dylan
Here's the sub I received: (excuse the quality, this was taken from my cell phone)

I just checked their website and apparently they're shipping with the Dayton or Behringer EP2000. If I had the choice a month ago I would have gone with the Behringer EP2000.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #136 of 149 Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Liked: 10
What's with the "list price" on their site?

Velodyne DD-18, dual Elemental Designs A7-450, dual SVS PB13Ultra custom, Axiom EP500v2, dual B&W PCS8 THX, dual Infinity Kappa Perfect 12VQ Avaserfi LowQ, Anthony Gallo TR-3
post #137 of 149 Old 07-03-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsi View Post

What's with the "list price" on their site?

I would imagine they want to make it seem like you're getting a huge deal.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS45 1080p Reference Series 3D Projector - $1849

My Crazy Projector Journey
post #138 of 149 Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 247
That sub looks so much classier now that it no longer has that tacky silver cone and stupid script marring the cone/dustcap.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #139 of 149 Old 07-03-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

That sub looks so much classier now that it no longer has that tacky silver cone and stupid script marring the cone/dustcap.

Huh? I loved it the way it was. To each his own I guess

Velodyne DD-18, dual Elemental Designs A7-450, dual SVS PB13Ultra custom, Axiom EP500v2, dual B&W PCS8 THX, dual Infinity Kappa Perfect 12VQ Avaserfi LowQ, Anthony Gallo TR-3
post #140 of 149 Old 07-03-2011, 05:44 PM

So let me get this straight, is this the same driver but without the silver paint? They already changed the amp, if this is in fact a new driver then the only thing left from the reviewed A7S-450 is what, the enclosure?
post #141 of 149 Old 07-04-2011, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

are they discontinuing the lt1300 amp?
post #142 of 149 Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 AM

I believe that it is on extended backorder, and has been replaced by a Dayton or Behringer amp, buyers choice. We will have to wait and see if the LT1300 ever returns.
post #143 of 149 Old 07-04-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

I believe that it is on extended backorder, and has been replaced by a Dayton or Behringer amp, buyers choice. We will have to wait and see if the LT1300 ever returns.

I had thought I remember Alex mentioning that the LT1300 was just being redesigned. And that the Dayton and the Behringer were just being offered till that newly designed LT1300 comes out.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #144 of 149 Old 07-04-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

post # 30. "Supply issues" at this point in time.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #145 of 149 Old 07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnTBigman View Post

post # 30. "Supply issues" at this point in time.

Thanks for digging that up. But I know I read either here or over at eD that they were going with a revised amp here soon. I'll see if I can find that quote.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #146 of 149 Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Hmmm.... I think that sub is pretty ugly. I too, prefer the silver driver. Does the finish look rougher in the photo than in person?
post #147 of 149 Old 07-06-2011, 12:02 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 45
is the current selling price always what they were selling for? seems like a very good price for a 18" sub
post #148 of 149 Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

The cellphone pic is pretty crappy but it looks like their finish has degraded... i dont remember it being that rough before. I do like the black cone though, like you said the font was horrible. Im a graphic designer and typography makes or breaks the look of something, generic script fonts like that just dont belong on most audio equipment.
post #149 of 149 Old 06-16-2012, 05:43 AM

I apologize for posting this question in an old thread but during my research, I don't come across too many threads that have many followers who know a lot about subwoofer and are eD sub owners so I thought it's a good place to ask.

I am about to pull the trigger on a Hsu STF-2 or an eD A3-250 based on the readings that I've read in these forums. These two are my picks because of the physical size and budget. I'll be using the sub with Infinity Primus speakers and 60/40 with music and movies. From my readings here and a few other forums, most people seem to agree that the STF-2 is better with music while the A3-250 is better with movies. Should I be concerned that the STF-2 is a product that is almost a decade old and many of the professional reviews that endorse it are also not current? Has the technologies changed a lot during these years? The eD owners, would you pick the A3-250 if your budget is $450 or less and will use it for 60/40 music verses movies?

Thanks in advance.
Tiffany K.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page