Paradigm Sub15 questions.... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 06-23-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to work out the best replacement for 2x MK MX350 Subwoofers.

My knowledge is a bit out of date because I've not really took too much notice of any other Subwoofers for around 6 years, as I've always had 2x MX350's in my room. After looking at a few options recently, I'm currently considering a Sub15.

I should point out that a single MX350 is actually more that enough to fill my room. I had a few reasons to go for 2 of them, but they aren't relevant to the point of the thread, so I won't go into them.

I'm looking for clean, fast, tight, punchy, etc etc bass (aren't we all) that goes as deep as possible but also performs well in the upper frequencies. As my room is fairly small I don't think volume will be an issue. I'm also trying to keep things sensible (in both size and price) which is why the Sub15 is the main contender right now.

So with all that in mind, my questions are:

Can a Subwoofer be too big for a room? Especially when using decent room EQ technology.

Would there be any benefit to me considering 2x Sub12's over a Sub15? Remembering that it's in a relatively small room and I'm not needing high SPL's.

Can anyone comment on the performance difference between an MK MX350 and the Paradigm Sub15?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 111
How about HSU uls 15 dual drive.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls15dualdrive.html

Or maybe dual Rythmik F15, F15HP, or E15.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products1.html

Most here won't tell you that there is ever too much subwoofer. You can always turn a sub down to have low distortion output, but it is easy to run out of headroom.
Multiple subs give you smoother seat to seat frequency response... plenty of info available on the benefits of multiple subwoofers.
The sub 15 is nice, but I like other options for the money better unless you have found a good deal. If you give more detailed infomation it would be helpful.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=989316
post #3 of 31 Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for your response.

I'm in the UK, so I don't have access to all the brands that are available in the USA. The main reason for the Sub15 is because I can get a very good discount on Paradigm. It also seems to be one of the better spec'd subs (available here) in it's price range - on paper at least. I thought 12Hz at -3dB was pretty impressive, thats 6Hz lower than the MX350 can achieve.

To answer the question of more details....

Budget is up to £2k, but that will mean very little to anyone in the USA as prices over here are generally much higher. There isn't really a size restriction. The room is around 1000 cubic feet. Usage is roughly 70% movies, 10% TV, 10% music, 10% gaming. Movies are generally at around 90dB peak (maybe 95dB at the very most) everything else is usually lower. Looks aren't an issue and I am in no rush to purchase right now.

I should also add that I have just one seat in the room, so only have to calibrate for the sweet spot.
post #4 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

1000 cubic feet sealed is a very small room. Small rooms can have problems with bass issues with nulls because bass wavelengths are so long. And will be worse if dimensions are multiple of each other or worse if same 10ftx 10 x 10. Multiple subwoofers will help cure this. Though since for one seat and if you have control over best placement for sub and seat, you should be able to find a pretty good spot for one. You will also get a lot of room gain and boundary gain so you won't need a lot of sub for your listening levels. If it was me in your room, I would still go the dual route with that room and budget. Here is a site that distributes SVSound and Epik Subwoofers in the UK.

http://eu.lsound.no/Search.aspx?q=svs

Dual SVS sb12-nsd's would be nice well under budget. This would probably be my choice in your shoes. Your room will easily have above your listening level output down low smoother bass, with $$ left over for other equipment. The SVS AS eq1 is a fine audyssey subwoofer eq device. Also that space with have need of some bass trapping/acoustic treatment. I think a couple legends or empires would be good as well. The SVS sb13 plus would be a good single sub choice also
post #5 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, but I'm trying to improve on the depth of the MX350's rather than take a sidestep or downgrade.

The Paradigm's seem to be clean, effortless and go very deep. I know this comes at a price compared to some, but the price I can get them for makes it all the more worthwhile.

I'm very limited on placement. 2x 12" subs can only go in the front corners of the room up against the side walls - this is how I have the MX350's at the moment. A 15" sub would be about 2ft in from a side wall and I could rotate it on the spot if required.

I thought that room EQ was supposed to address room problems. I'll be using Audyssey XT32/Sub EQ HT. I know it can't solve/improve every problem, but I expected that if I can get a good performance using a single MX350, that I would be able to improve on it with a better quality sub.
post #6 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SVS - SB13 would be my choice over the more expensive Sub 15

http://www.eu.lsound.no/Avdelinger/P...SP-100717.aspx

Here is the US site with much more info for you...
http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-sb13plus.cfm

One should do it, or get a pair and never look back... That is a very small room, and my since replaced JL F112 in a room almost 2 times that size was spectacular.... SVS will come in cheaper and have spectacular performance in all the areas you listed.... clean, fast, tight, punchy, etc etc bass

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

SVS - SB13 would be my choice over the more expensive Sub 15

Thanks, but SVS isn't an option for me - as there are no longer any UK Dealers. I already have a better Sub, well, 2 of them. The MX350's give me great results but I'm looking for extra depth and the SVS won't give me that. I don't need high SPL's, so as far as I keep reading the Paradigm Subs produce much better sound quality over an SVS. I don't think it will work out that much cheaper than what I can get the Sub15 for either.
post #8 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

You do know to make those inaudible frequencies worthwhile, you need high spl to appreciate (pressurization).

L-sound is still selling SVS as far as I can see. That size room the SVS will go very low, my guess ~ 10hz. Check out pressure vessel gain and boundary gain.

If you want to see difference between one and two subs, turn one of your current subs off and run audyssey.

The acoustics of standing waves in your room will cause sq issues and overhang, so which has better sq is a moot point as the room is KING in subwoofer performance. Any of these subwoofers will give you low distortion bass.

Based on what happens in one vs. two sub testing get one or two paradigm subs as that is what you want. I have heard both paradigm subs you are looking at, and the pb13 ultra multiple times, and have given you my advice. Good Luck!
post #9 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf_uk View Post

Thanks, but SVS isn't an option for me - as there are no longer any UK Dealers. I already have a better Sub, well, 2 of them. The MX350's give me great results but I'm looking for extra depth and the SVS won't give me that. I don't need high SPL's, so as far as I keep reading the Paradigm Subs produce much better sound quality over an SVS. I don't think it will work out that much cheaper than what I can get the Sub15 for either.

I've heard the Paradigm Servo 15v2 in my room and preferred the sound of my PB13, in sealed mode or ported. But in any event, somewhat irrelevant as the levels/FR was not properly matched, and IMO above the $1k class the nuances in "SQ" for subwoofers is not as readily apparent given the frequencies we are talking about.

Eitherway, sounds like the SVS is out of the option for you. The Sub15 should perform, overall, better than the SB13 (price out of the equation as you haven't posted what the price would be for the Sub15).

The Sub15 should be more than adequate for such a small room, and perform incredibly well with its sealed design and dig quite deep with the room gain you're likely to get.

I'm not familiar with the MX350s.

My DIY Subs ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #10 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems to me that your MK MK350's are high passed 18hz...
Rated Power: 350 Watts
Frequency Response: 18 Hz - 200 Hz ±3dB

The SB13's will have no high pass filter and will dig deeper with room gain as pbc stated (likely down into the 10hz range), They will offer more power and more excursion will be far cleaner with less distortion with the far superior constructed drivers SVS offers....

I wouldn't say your more expensive lesser performing MK's are better, they just cost more.... that sounds like an assumption to me. I'll even go the distance to say that the SVS will be even cleaner then the Sub15, and closer to the Sub 25....

post #11 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp View Post

You do know to make those inaudible frequencies worthwhile, you need high spl to appreciate (pressurization).

L-sound is still selling SVS as far as I can see. That size room the SVS will go very low, my guess ~ 10hz. Check out pressure vessel gain and boundary gain.

If you want to see difference between one and two subs, turn one of your current subs off and run audyssey.

The acoustics of standing waves in your room will cause sq issues and overhang, so which has better sq is a moot point as the room is KING in subwoofer performance. Any of these subwoofers will give you low distortion bass.

Based on what happens in one vs. two sub testing get one or two paradigm subs as that is what you want. I have heard both paradigm subs you are looking at, and the pb13 ultra multiple times, and have given you my advice. Good Luck!

They do supply the UK, but they are in Norway. If there was a UK Dealer where I could get a demo, buy one and return to if there were any problems, then I would consider them as an option.

Which SVS would go down to 10Hz? The ones I looked at earlier didn't mention much about anything below 20Hz.

I've used a single MX350 at various times over the years and the results are still excellent, but I really would like to improve the depth.

I know the room has an effect on sound, but surely the better quality to begin with, the better the end result will be. It's not like the room will increase its effect when a better quality signal is being played.

Your input is appreciated, I'm just trying to look at things objectively. It's a big more for me to make and I just want to make sure I get it right, or at least make as good a choice as possible within my limitations.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

I've heard the Paradigm Servo 15v2 in my room and preferred the sound of my PB13, in sealed mode or ported. But in any event, somewhat irrelevant as the levels/FR was not properly matched, and IMO above the $1k class the nuances in "SQ" for subwoofers is not as readily apparent given the frequencies we are talking about.

Eitherway, sounds like the SVS is out of the option for you. The Sub15 should perform, overall, better than the SB13 (price out of the equation as you haven't posted what the price would be for the Sub15).

The Sub15 should be more than adequate for such a small room, and perform incredibly well with its sealed design and dig quite deep with the room gain you're likely to get.

I'm not familiar with the MX350s.

Thanks. I'm still open to other options, but things are more limited over here in the UK. I've still got some researching to do, as I am still not sure what to do for the best.

It just gets confusing that people are saying that they notice an improvement in sound quality with certain subs compared to others, especially if they aren't supposed to be apparent. So either some people have a system or a room that is able to show these differences and others don't, or people are making false claims about what they hear - either purposely or inadvertently.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Seems to me that your MK MK350's are high passed 18hz...
Frequency Response: 18 Hz - 200 Hz ±3dB

The SB13's will have no high pass filter and will dig deeper with room gain as pbc stated (likely down into the 10hz range), They will offer more power and more excursion will be far cleaner with less distortion with the far superior constructed drivers SVS offers....

I wouldn't say your more expensive lesser performing MK's are better, they just cost more.... that sounds like an assumption to me. I'll even go the distance to say that the SVS will be even cleaner then the Sub15, and closer to the Sub 25....

I know the SVS driver will be better, but the push-pull design more than makes up for it. What you have stated above about the specs are not actually correct, but I'm not getting into a debate about it. Your assumptions are very different to most other people I have had contact with.
post #14 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 10:28 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll even go the distance to say that the SVS will be even cleaner then the Sub15, and closer to the Sub 25....

Curious as to what would make you say that? DSP?

I'm thinking with 1750 watts (vs 1000), larger box (19/20" cube vs 17/18"), bigger driver (beefy 15 vs beffy 13), the Sub15 should extend lower than the SB13 and go louder, and be cleaner doing it. The DSP of the SB13 may keep it a tad more behaved when the sub is pushed to extremes though. The Sb13 has a natural 2nd order roll off, admittedly I'm not sure about the Sub15.

Anyhow, was just curiuos.

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #15 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi. Thanks for your response.

I'm in the UK, so I don't have access to all the brands that are available in the USA. The main reason for the Sub15 is because I can get a very good discount on Paradigm. It also seems to be one of the better spec'd subs (available here) in it's price range - on paper at least. I thought 12Hz at -3dB was pretty impressive, thats 6Hz lower than the MX350 can achieve.

To answer the question of more details....

Budget is up to £2k, but that will mean very little to anyone in the USA as prices over here are generally much higher. There isn't really a size restriction. The room is around 1000 cubic feet. Usage is roughly 70% movies, 10% TV, 10% music, 10% gaming. Movies are generally at around 90dB peak (maybe 95dB at the very most) everything else is usually lower. Looks aren't an issue and I am in no rush to purchase right now.

I should also add that I have just one seat in the room, so only have to calibrate for the sweet spot.

I think you are putting too much weight on the specs paradigm has posted. Here is an interesting thread on a similar sub by paradigm.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-paradigm.html

post #16 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know the SVS driver will be better, but the push-pull design more than makes up for it. What you have stated above about the specs are not actually correct, but I'm not getting into a debate about it. Your assumptions are very different to most other people I have had contact with.

You listed your sub as the M&K MK350, did you mean to state a different model # because those numbers were taken directly from their site. http://www.mksoundsystem.com/propages/mkprof_MX350.htm
MX350 SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency Response: 18 Hz – 200 Hz ±3dB
Lowpass Filter, Variable: 50 Hz - 125 Hz
Lowpass Filter, Fixed: 80 Hz THX Filter, Bypass
Finish: Black Satin
Dimensions: (HxWxD) 23.5” x 15.3” x 20”
59.6 x 38.8 x 50.8 cm
Weight: 82 lb/37.3 kg

Output equals = diameter x excursion - I'll put money on the fact that with only a 350 w amp those drivers have a meager amount of excursion with both drivers in comparison to the massive excursion of the SVS subs.... Which is likely double what both of the M&K drivers offer, so its honestly a horse apiece...

Don't worry I'm extremely familiar with the Push Pull as well as Dual Opposed like the subs I built myself with 18" LMS drivers and 8000w per box... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1266665

Quote:

Curious as to what would make you say that? DSP?

I'm thinking with 1750 watts (vs 1000), larger box (19/20" cube vs 17/18"), bigger driver (beefy 15 vs beffy 13), the Sub15 should extend lower than the SB13 and go louder, and be cleaner doing it. The DSP of the SB13 may keep it a tad more behaved when the sub is pushed to extremes though. The Sb13 has a natural 2nd order roll off, admittedly I'm not sure about the Sub15.

Anyhow, was just curiuos.

Paradigm likes to hype their amp numbers IMO...
Take a look at their Sub25 amp numbers.... Please
Amplifier: High-Current, Discrete Output 7,500 watts Dynamic Peak / 3,000 watts RMS

Sorry but I'm doubtful... I doubt they are gettin the kind of excursion they claim either...

sickboy013, thank you.... I agree....

post #17 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 11:22 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Paradigm likes to hype their amp numbers IMO...
Take a look at their Sub25 amp numbers.... Please
Amplifier: High-Current, Discrete Output 7,500 watts Dynamic Peak / 3,000 watts RMS

Sorry but I'm doubtful... I doubt they are gettin the kind of excursion they claim either...

Not in disagreement that their specs may be off (like their useable 9hz quote ), but even with the same size amp with a larger box and woofer diameter it's tough to say that the SB13 would be cleaner?

I would hope it would best their previous offering which was fairly impressive for a sealed sub based on Ed's review of the P'Digm Servo 15 v2.

If you believe Brent's tests at S&V (though not sure which "rig" he was using at the time as apparently the VTF15 numbers are changing for a third time with his new measurement rig), the SB13 is doing 98db at 1M at 20hz for CEA2010 (which is likely burst not RMS? ... though to me seems quite low if one were to deduct 9db from that to get an approximation of Illka's results?). The JL fathom was tested to deliver 101db at 2M RMS, and I thought the Sub15 was noted to dig deeper than the F113? Admittedly I may be confusing this with the Sub25.

The SB13 is half the MSRP of the Sub15 here in Canada, so even with a 20ish% discount off of list it would be a tough one not to go with the SB13 or duals of said sub for a bit more...

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #18 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed..... price is the key - more bang for your buck...

Especially with no limiter like the F112 or F113 in a 1000^3 room...
I always was astounded with my F112 in that 1800^3 room, and I can't imagine that the SB13 would be any slouch either, and thats twice the size room of the OP.

Can't say I have really ever been a fan of the Servo - maybe after many a discussion with Ed Mullen saying, a servo is for drivers that just don't truly have the goods to stay accurate and deliver down low....

I'll throw driver build quality into the mix for better more controlled articulation. SVS is hardly far off of TC Sounds with their designer Mr Ponte....
One thing is for sure, he could always do far better going DIY for the money. Never look back...

post #19 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy013 View Post

I think you are putting too much weight on the specs paradigm has posted. Here is an interesting thread on a similar sub by paradigm.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-paradigm.html

Sorry, but what am I looking for in that thread exactly? It's obvious that all or most manufacturers bend the truth a little when they come up with their specs. But all I have to go on at this stage are specs and opinions.
post #20 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You listed your sub as the M&K MK350, did you mean to state a different model # because those numbers were taken directly from their site. http://www.mksoundsystem.com/propages/mkprof_MX350.htm
MX350 SPECIFICATIONS

Frequency Response: 18 Hz – 200 Hz ±3dB
Lowpass Filter, Variable: 50 Hz - 125 Hz
Lowpass Filter, Fixed: 80 Hz THX Filter, Bypass
Finish: Black Satin
Dimensions: (HxWxD) 23.5” x 15.3” x 20”
59.6 x 38.8 x 50.8 cm
Weight: 82 lb/37.3 kg

Output equals = diameter x excursion - I'll put money on the fact that with only a 350 w amp those drivers have a meager amount of excursion with both drivers in comparison to the massive excursion of the SVS subs.... Which is likely double what both of the M&K drivers offer, so its honestly a horse apiece...

Well it proves how little you know about the MK MX350 then. If you do a little more research you will find the error. But as I said before, I am not getting into a debate. So for the last time.... SVS is not an option.
post #21 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well it proves how little you know about the MK MX350 then. If you do a little more research you will find the error. But as I said before, I am not getting into a debate. So for the last time.... SVS is not an option.

Very well SVS is not an option

I'm curious, if your M&K subs are so grand then why are you looking to replace them.... ?
Looks like to me your M&K's are built with the finest of drivers... LOL

Buy the Sub 15 and don't bother asking for opinions

post #22 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

All I'm trying to do is improve the depth of bass in my room without compromising in other areas. M&K subwoofers always impressed me by giving great results across the frequency range, whereas many subs tend to do a limited range really well and struggle with the rest of it, especially the upper frequencies from around 60-120Hz.

A 12" driver can only go so low in a certain sized box before the box gets to such a size that a 15" driver out-performs it. I can understand certain benefits/differences depending on the room, but in my situation I can't see any 2x 12" subwoofers outperforming a comparable 15" subwoofer. Is that so wrong?
post #23 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Very well SVS is not an option

I'm curious, if your M&K subs are so grand then why are you looking to replace them.... ?
Looks like to me your M&K's are built with the finest of drivers... LOL

Buy the Sub 15 and don't bother asking for opinions

As I have said, I want to improve depth. There is only so far a 12" driver can go. Older 15" drivers were generally quite sloppy, but things have clearly improved in the last few years or so - which is why I believe it's time for me to change.

You can knock M&K all you like, but they are well known for getting amazing results out of relatively cheap drive units. The 20 year old design has held up well, but improvements in driver technology is starting to show up their limitations - although they still put many to shame. Many recording studios around the world use them, can the same be said about SVS?
post #24 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 04:18 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

SVS is one of the leading ID brands when it comes to driver and sub design, though their subs have started to push the limits that most ID buyers are willing to pay.

Dual M&K 350s with their ported design and dual 12" drivers that extend to 18hz may in fact be doing quite well in your room. If you have the capability to measure the response, that would help determine how low they are going with the help of your room and whether another sub such as the Sub15 or otherwise would extend "deeper" which appears to be where you are not satisfied.

I'm not sure what else to tell you, other than get the Sub15. Ideally if you could try it in your room first, that would help.

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #25 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 306
OP, I'd say grab the sub 15 if you can get it for a deal. I've heard the Paradigm sub offerings many MANY times as my brother in law sell them. It's true they don't have the performance of many of the ID company's BUT thats not to say they don't have good performance.
I betting almost everyone that is dissing the sub 2 has never even laid eyes on one, let alone actually heard one. It's a pretty kickass sub! And this is coming from a DIY guy that could blow a sub 2 out of the water with ease with 2 sealed subs and I've got 10 now. If you were happy with your old subs, I'm sure the sub 15 is going to be a great move for you. They are quite a capable sub, expensive for what you are getting vs ID subs or DIY but like I said, if you can get a deal and you're limited on options, there is no way it's a bad choice.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #26 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a SB13 and I liked the Sub 15 when I heard it, I would have bought that instead *if* they were the same price, mainly because I liked the PBK option. Without any EQ, I don't think the Sub15 has any advantage over the SB13 in terms of sound quality

It sounded good and it seemed to reach pretty deep. I think Paradigm is probably pretty heavily EQ'ed in the low end which will give it the advantage on paper.

Personally I'm pretty disappointed in the build quality of some of the Paradigm products lately, cosmetic scars, drivers that look manhandled (dents), glue marks etc. I had though "Made in Canada" meant better quality but I'm not so sure anymore. I had to return my set of speakers because there was an obvious buzzing sound, that should have been caught in their own quality control. The next set was damaged (dent in tweeter) and had scratches (factory unopened box).

I still like their speakers though (soundwise) but I think SVS makes almost a good of a sub for half the price.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #27 of 31 Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 PM

Interesting topic, as I am looking for a sub, either the SVS SB13+ or the MK MX350 MKII, 400W BASH amp. I think the OP has the old M&K MX350.

Yes M&K are famous for producing top notch sound from relatively cheap components, this is the due to great engineering. It would be good to see a ground plane 1m sweep test of the MX 350 to see how it compares to the SB13 plus. I would imagine both subs do well below 20Hz with room gain.

The paradigm products I have heard sound great, but I have found their quality control to be pretty dodgy. My brother got a brand new Servo 15v2, straight out of the box, and it just wouldn't work! This sort of thing just shouldn't happen.

There are plenty good UK reviews of the BK electronics subs. Maybe this could be considered?

I have also read that people are getting good results with MK MX 350 and an SVS PB13 Ultra. SVS have a money back return policy. you would only have to pay for shipping so it's worth a try?
post #28 of 31 Old 06-25-2011, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

SVS is one of the leading ID brands when it comes to driver and sub design, though their subs have started to push the limits that most ID buyers are willing to pay.

Dual M&K 350s with their ported design and dual 12" drivers that extend to 18hz may in fact be doing quite well in your room. If you have the capability to measure the response, that would help determine how low they are going with the help of your room and whether another sub such as the Sub15 or otherwise would extend "deeper" which appears to be where you are not satisfied.

I'm not sure what else to tell you, other than get the Sub15. Ideally if you could try it in your room first, that would help.

As with any manufacturer I've heard good and bad things about SVS. They used to be available through Dealers in the UK, but not anymore. If they still were then I would have considered them as an option.

The MX350's aren't ported. I would never buy a ported subwoofer.

The only graph I have is when I first used a Sub EQ in my room with the 2 MX350's. But I noticed a big difference when moving over to XT32/Sub EQ HT. I don't have XT32 at the moment, and also don't have any way to accurately measure the response.

It would be nice to know if I would get any benefit in my room and like you say the best way is to try it, but I'm not sure if that will be an option or not. I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing the right thing.
post #29 of 31 Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL1000 View Post

Interesting topic, as I am looking for a sub, either the SVS SB13+ or the MK MX350 MKII, 400W BASH amp. I think the OP has the old M&K MX350.

Yes M&K are famous for producing top notch sound from relatively cheap components, this is the due to great engineering. It would be good to see a ground plane 1m sweep test of the MX 350 to see how it compares to the SB13 plus. I would imagine both subs do well below 20Hz with room gain.

The paradigm products I have heard sound great, but I have found their quality control to be pretty dodgy. My brother got a brand new Servo 15v2, straight out of the box, and it just wouldn’t work! This sort of thing just shouldn't happen.

There are plenty good UK reviews of the BK electronics subs. Maybe this could be considered?

I have also read that people are getting good results with MK MX 350 and an SVS PB13 Ultra. SVS have a money back return policy. you would only have to pay for shipping so it’s worth a try?

It is the MK version that I have. But I did also own the M&K version in the past.

After working in the industry I am not aware of a single company that doesn't have FOD's once in a while. If a product isn't in an acceptable state when bought brand new then it gets returned, simple as that. I haven't seen any mention of poor QC on the threads I have been looking at over the past few days.

I've seen the praise that the BK XXLS400 has been getting. I wondered how 4 of them would perform in my room!! I think it would probably be sidestep though, in my room anyway.

The SVS money back policy would be great, if there were Dealers in the UK, but having to ship a subwoofer back to Norway would be very expensive. It's just not worth it for me.
post #30 of 31 Old 06-25-2011, 11:34 PM

Here is an original M&K MX 350 mkII subwoofer test. Note that the new MK Sound MX 350 has a 400W BASH amp and improved drivers, so one can assume that the new sub would perform even better than the old.

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12080

Looks like a pretty damn impressive performer to me, the only worry might be harmonic distortion at high volumes
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page