Advice on a sub purchase-extra large room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 06-23-2011, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello AVS members...
I have been lurking around the forums and gathering info in different areas on my own, but this time I might need some direct input from some knowledgeable members.
I am looking to purchase a sub for a HT. The system will be used mainly for movies.
The "stuff" I have now is an Onkyo HT-RC270 ,
an old pair of JBL G400(they were free, couldn't say no), a center Polk CS2 series II, and a pair of Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II. I know, it's probably an "odd" mix, but that's what I have.

I might upgrade the fronts at sometime, and maybe go for a 7.1 in the future, but for now I'd like to get a sub. The room I'm moving everything in is 28'x22'x8', with a 5 feet opening to the back of the room that leads to a stairwell/different room.
I've been reading for the past week or so trying to decide. I started with a
Polk Audio PSW505, then I came across BIC America F12 , then the BIC PL-200 Acoustech or the H100...Then I was reading about HSU VTF-2 MK3, and now I am lost. I have not had any option to hear any in a store.
So, could you help me decide on a cube under $500-$600. Will a 12" in that price range cover a room that size, or will I need a larger one? Or 2x12" subs?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Might want to look at the Outlaw LFM-1 EX for $552 shipped, http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/lfmEX.html

I'd rather see you go with one quality subwoofer over 2 mediocre subwoofers

Yes 2 subwoofers would even out bass response throughout your room you would miss the quality deep bass.

Subwoofers aren't really needed to do a sound test a good subwoofer is a good subwoofer
post #3 of 24 Old 06-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I agree with crazyrob in that I'd purchase one ~$600 range sub over two ~$300 subs with that budget. You could get a pair of Lava LSP-12's for that price, but I think you'd be better off with the sub Rob mentioned and then another possibly in the future. There are other options for sure, but I like ID for bang/buck.

eD a3-300--- ported
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=102

Rhythmik FV12--- ported
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

Epik Legend--- sealed
http://epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html
I've read a couple threads where people had issues with the amp, fyi
post #4 of 24 Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 520
The above advice is good. My first choice would be the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX while it is on sale. After the sale ends, on the 30th, it will jump back up to 650, plus another 100 for shipping. The current sale is a terrific deal! After that, I would go for the VTF2 or Elemental Designs A3-300. The A3 is back ordered though, so it might take awhile to get that one after you place your order. The Rythmik looks great as well. The Legend looks good too, but I think the ported subs might give you a bit more low end kick which is better for movies and games.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for taking the time to chime in!
I can see I have some homework to do
This will be my first sub. I did some reading about front vs down firing before, but didn't read much about ported vs. sealed subs...
I am not sure I would make the purchase before the sale ends for the LFM-1 EX...I am moving into new home, was hoping to do the purchase in 2 weeks or so, so I wouldn't have to move the ~80 beast around too much...
At least I have some ideas now...Impulsive as I am, Im thinking I should go all the way in for a VTF-3 MK3,to be "future proof", the problem is I might have to sleep downstairs on the couch with the sub as a pillow if my wife sees how much that goes for...
Thanks gain! If anyone sees any good sales, please do tell(is there a thread around here by any chance where people post any good current sales they've come across?)
post #6 of 24 Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by somniantis View Post

Thank you everyone for taking the time to chime in!
I can see I have some homework to do
This will be my first sub. I did some reading about front vs down firing before, but didn't read much about ported vs. sealed subs...
I am not sure I would make the purchase before the sale ends for the LFM-1 EX...I am moving into new home, was hoping to do the purchase in 2 weeks or so, so I wouldn't have to move the ~80 beast around too much...
At least I have some ideas now...Impulsive as I am, Im thinking I should go all the way in for a VTF-3 MK3,to be "future proof", the problem is I might have to sleep downstairs on the couch with the sub as a pillow if my wife sees how much that goes for...
Thanks gain! If anyone sees any good sales, please do tell(is there a thread around here by any chance where people post any good current sales they've come across?)

You should buy the Oulaw EX while it is on sale. Do not unpack it. Move it in its original packaging, then take the time to find the sweet spot in your new listening room. $552 is an excellent price for a sub that is a dollars per db champ at its regular price, and a very very good buy on sale.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Liked: 10
Ported vs Sealed(acoustic suspension)...

Ported is very efficient cause there is no back pressure against the woofer. It has a port(hence ported) that is "tuned" which means it has a piece of pipe a certain length/diameter to accentuate a certain frequency.

pros:
efficient
great for HT

cons:
"one note wonders"

sealed is slightly less efficient(usually 1-2 db less loud on the same power), but makes up for it in bass extension. Sealed sub will almost always create deeper bass than a ported sub...just won't be as loud in doing so.

Pros:
usually deeper bass
more musical

cons:
takes about 30% more power to equal a ported sub...if size of the box and driver are "equal".
post #8 of 24 Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

Ported is very efficient cause there is no back pressure against the woofer. It has a port(hence ported) that is "tuned" which means it has a piece of pipe a certain length/diameter to accentuate a certain frequency.

pros:
efficient
great for HT

cons:
"one note wonders"

sealed is slightly less efficient(usually 1-2 db less loud on the same power), but makes up for it in bass extension. Sealed sub will almost always create deeper bass than a ported sub...just won't be as loud in doing so.

Pros:
usually deeper bass
more musical

cons:
takes about 30% more power to equal a ported sub...if size of the box and driver are "equal".

I guess you haven't read the great reviews of the ported JTR Captivator. Very very close to the highly praised Seaton Submersive in sound quality, and certainly no "one note wonder".
post #9 of 24 Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Ported subs are far from one not wonders.

I would go with the Outlaw LFM-1 EX as its performace should be very close to the HSU VTF3 but over $200 cheaper while on sale. Both subs are designed by HSU as well. Another solid choice is the Rythmik FV12 also on sale until June 26.
post #10 of 24 Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I am following your advice, but I am stuck between the Rhythmik FV12 and the Outlaw LFM-1 EX. The difference in price at this time is not more than $10 or so...Would someone please outline any pros/cons of one over the other? It will definitely be one of the two, just cannot make up my mind from the reviews, owners of either sub seem to be happy though...
Thanks!
post #11 of 24 Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'm wondering if maybe you should up your budget a bit more, if you can, and get something with say a 15" driver or an 18" driver. As that room is really big. I think you will be underwhelmed if you don't. I know I definitely would be if I were you.

Can you swing $740.00 shipped to your door? If you can, then the CHT 18.1 could be a really good option. A concern could be the finish though, as it might look a bit rough. How concerned are you with the fit and finish of whatever sub you might buy?

http://www.chasehometheater.com/inde...art&Itemid=109

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #12 of 24 Old 06-27-2011, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

t would be nice if I had at least $1000, but at $600 I am already "stretching" it!
And the finish does matter, at least for the past year, since I am not a "bachelor" anymore and I am not the only one that has a say on the "looks" of "our" basement. The more it looks like good looking furniture, the better.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

pros:
efficient
great for HT

cons:
"one note wonders"

Pros:
usually deeper bass
more musical

cons:

I have a ported eD a5-350 and it is most certainly not a '1 note wonder'. Not all ported subs can be lumped into that catagory. To the OP, pay no attention to what this guy is saying. Either the Rythmik or the Outlaw would be good to go with.

post #14 of 24 Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Back again,
Finally ready to pull the trigger. Unfortunately, I missed the Outlaw sale...I contacted them for some kind a deal, but no go. I was thinking on buying 2xLFM-1 EX, my budget luckily went up...I really liked the look of it, but it's not going to happen...
Now, I see the VTF-2 MK 3 on sale for $572 shipped...I was thinking on getting 2 of them, but then I thought it would cost about the same as a VTF-15H.
Would anyone chime in and help me make a decision?Is the response better with 2 "smaller" but good subs better then a bigger, louder sub? Or I wonder if a VTF-3 MK3, which is rated for "Huge Rooms" may be enough?
Thanks for input!
post #15 of 24 Old 07-21-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Room size can affect the bass you hear greatly, but there are other factors, like your seating position and the sub's placement, which can factor as well. A VTF15h will have more output than two VTF2s, but two VTF2s might have better room coverage. The guy who knows best is Pete at Hsu, you should give him a call or drop by their forums for the best answer.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-23-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,
I did write to Pete...and I pulled the trigger on a VTF-15H!!
post #17 of 24 Old 07-23-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice! I'm sure you will enjoy it, it looks like a killer sub.
post #18 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Does any of the "Auralex" type of pads, like the Gramma, make a really noticeable difference? Would it make more of a difference if I had a down firing sub? Is there anything else, cheaper,"home made" that I could use if necessary(like styrofoam or something)?
My floor is cement/concrete, carpeted.
Thanks!
post #19 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

For a front-firing sub on a concrete floor, I don't think a bass isolation pad is going to make much difference. I would skip it.
post #20 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks shady, appreciate it!
post #21 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm a huge fan of the gramma. It made a huge difference in both ported and sealed subs in my room. Makes the bass sound much tighter.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post
I'm a huge fan of the gramma. It made a huge difference in both ported and sealed subs in my room. Makes the bass sound much tighter.
Thanks Mpray! Is your ported sub down or front firing?
post #23 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 171
My neighbor has a front firing ported subwoofer on isolation pad and he feels that is has added some tightness to the bass and has lowered the amount of noise complaints from his neighbors in the apartment complex
post #24 of 24 Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I have had both downward and front firing ported subs and a sealed sub and it improved them all.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page