Another subwoofer help thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As I mentioned before... I'm in a similar boat as you and I'm reading about the Lava 12's. Or if they could offer that 2 10" for 340 deal. Otherwise, another item on my list, albeit pricier, is the Emotiva 12. A few names keep coming up for the budget subwoofer talks, and that's one of them.

Thanks to AVS for helping me with my first home theater system!

Panasonic ST30, Klipsch RB-61 II, RC-42 II, Denon AVR-1611, dual Lava 10" subwoofers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I've thought about the stf-2, but really wanted something that was rated a little lower. The rating on the Bic is a little misleading I think. It lists 22hz at the low end, but doesn't specify if that's the -3 bottom end, or as low as it will go period. Which leads me to consider the Lava 12, but again from what I've read, it drops off after 30 pretty good, even in room. I need to read through the thread again. Need to do more research in general I guess
post #33 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 11:18 AM

Liked: 14
1 more vote for the STF-2 here.
post #34 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Bird View Post

I've thought about the stf-2, but really wanted something that was rated a little lower. The rating on the Bic is a little misleading I think. It lists 22hz at the low end, but doesn't specify if that's the -3 bottom end, or as low as it will go period. Which leads me to consider the Lava 12, but again from what I've read, it drops off after 30 pretty good, even in room. I need to read through the thread again. Need to do more research in general I guess

Everything I've read also states that the Lava drops off sharply below ~35. But for me, the BIC's seem to have very lousy reviews with music. The Lava's appear to be significantly better. For you though, this is worthless because I believe you said music was not a factor.

Thanks to AVS for helping me with my first home theater system!

Panasonic ST30, Klipsch RB-61 II, RC-42 II, Denon AVR-1611, dual Lava 10" subwoofers

post #35 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm of the opinion that you should go for the eD a2-300. Please point me (link) to issues with the amp. Also, if you look in the classified ads for elemental designs you'll see a b-stock a2-300 for $350 which imo is unbeatable in bang/buck. Give eD a call, ask to speak with Alex. While you're at it, call all of these companies and talk to them. It's a lot of money to spend without at least speaking directly with someone who represents the company.

I do realize that there may be issues with the amp... it's just that I haven't read about any and would like to. I actually own an a2-300 and am looking to acquire another for my bedroom setup.
post #36 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

I'm of the opinion that you should go for the eD a2-300. Please point me (link) to issues with the amp. Also, if you look in the classified ads for elemental designs you'll see a b-stock a2-300 for $350 which imo is unbeatable in bang/buck. Give eD a call, ask to speak with Alex. While you're at it, call all of these companies and talk to them. It's a lot of money to spend without at least speaking directly with someone who represents the company.

I do realize that there may be issues with the amp... it's just that I haven't read about any and would like to. I actually own an a2-300 and am looking to acquire another for my bedroom setup.

I've been keeping an eye on that B-Stock unit for a while now. I started to email some of these companies, and I had emailed eD last Friday, haven't heard back, I'll probably give them a call. Was pretty bummed that the Outlaw didn't work out, but I understand why, they emailed me pretty quick

I've seen some issues on other boards, and on this, I'll see if I can find a few:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20388699

http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/...ml#post4918827

Both of those are working on multiple amp failures.

I saw another, can't find it now, that said they really liked their A2-300 when it worked, but they were on their third amp. And I've seen other posts where the amp failed pretty quick or during the first movie. I don't know if these failures were related to the big rush they had last year, if so, it might not be much to worry about. And I'd be interested to see the number sold vs the number of failures. I'm sure it's small, it's just not something I'm all that interested in experiencing really. It does keep coming up as the best bang for the buck sub though, nothing else is rated even close to that low for that price.
post #37 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've been keeping an eye on that B-Stock unit for a while now. I started to email some of these companies, and I had emailed eD last Friday, haven't heard back, I'll probably give them a call. Was pretty bummed that the Outlaw didn't work out, but I understand why, they emailed me pretty quick

I've seen some issues on other boards, and on this, I'll see if I can find a few:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post20388699

http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/...ml#post4918827

Both of those are working on multiple amp failures.

I saw another, can't find it now, that said they really liked their A2-300 when it worked, but they were on their third amp. And I've seen other posts where the amp failed pretty quick or during the first movie. I don't know if these failures were related to the big rush they had last year, if so, it might not be much to worry about. And I'd be interested to see the number sold vs the number of failures. I'm sure it's small, it's just not something I'm all that interested in experiencing really. It does keep coming up as the best bang for the buck sub though, nothing else is rated even close to that low for that price.

Thanks for the links. Even though it's only a couple issues (and we really have no idea of how many they've sold and are working properly), I'd still weigh that in to my decision making process for purchasing a $400+ piece of equipment. Remember also that the eD subs have only a 1 year warranty... whereas some manufacturers boast a 2 year. That said, I have an a2-300 that's a tank and am looking to get a 2nd one for my bedroom. It does make me hesitate just a tad reading of the issues. All in all however, I wouldn't make much of it as it (the issues) seems pretty isolated.

Good luck,
Jeff
post #38 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, it really kind of made me feel silly worrying about it and only linking a couple of incidents. I've seen more, but was on lunch and had a limited time to find more. I have seen a lot more issues with one of their other subs, but it uses a different and and a different driver. I think it was the A5s-350 maybe?

How long have you had your A2-300? I didn't see any issues with the older ones before they revamped the design.
post #39 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, it really kind of made me feel silly worrying about it and only linking a couple of incidents. I've seen more, but was on lunch and had a limited time to find more. I have seen a lot more issues with one of their other subs, but it uses a different and and a different driver. I think it was the A5s-350 maybe?

How long have you had your A2-300? I didn't see any issues with the older ones before they revamped the design.

I bought my a2-300 in 08'. It does a great job in my bedroom. I then bought a pair of a5-350's for my basement HT, and a custom a3-300 from wolvatron who is an employee of eD. I think the amp issue is with the a7s-450 that you refer to which is their 1300 watt amp, it is now not in stock and eD is shipping out a behringer or dayton amp to take its' place until then I believe. I dunno man... I definitely think that you can trust eD just as much as any other bang for yer buck ID company.

SVS, HSU, and Rythmik are the companies that I hear the least about as far as issues (ya know stuff breaking) from a main stream ID company... but you may pay a touch of a premium for these in the bang/buck department.
post #40 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that's the truth. I'll call eD tomorrow and talk to them. Maybe see what the story is on the B-Stock A2-300.

What about the Emotiva Ultra 12? The review looks pretty promising on Audioholics. I think I've seen some good stuff about it on here. I know it's a sealed unit, but it seems like it might do well in a movie environment also. It's currently on sale for 429 shipped. Much closer to the original price of the eD.
post #41 of 41 Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's the truth. I'll call eD tomorrow and talk to them. Maybe see what the story is on the B-Stock A2-300.

What about the Emotiva Ultra 12? The review looks pretty promising on Audioholics. I think I've seen some good stuff about it on here. I know it's a sealed unit, but it seems like it might do well in a movie environment also. It's currently on sale for 429 shipped. Much closer to the original price of the eD.

As far as issues are concerned with the driver/amp, I haven't heard of any with the emo12 sealed. That said, I don't think you would get near the output in your room as you would with the a2-300.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page