post #91 of 101 Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

I'm curious as to the implementation of the 12" and 15" drivers. Does the 12 roll off down low and the 15 up high or do they both cover the same bandwith? Is there a xover between the two?

In the LARGER you have THREE drivers, one Active 12", one active 15" and one Passive 15".

In effect they ALL are blended to act as a single driver over the FR of the SUB.

Brian, often times blends drivers in ways other designers do not. He has (for lack of a better term) a "magnetizer", which allows him to control the level of magnetic strength of the magnets to the drivers. He has somehow developed a system of magnetization that helps him to use this blending of drivers.

When this is added to the very fine adjustments of adjusting the putty mass you have a SUB that can have exceptionally low distortion in a 3 driver system due to the ability to control the synchronization between the drivers and their actions and reactions to each other.

Regards,

John
CENTURY CITY AV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 101 Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Installed the 12" & 15" Ultramegawoofers into the Large sub and all I can say is "Mama"! Big difference in SQ and output. I'll post pics later and these drivers are heavy with 160 oz magnets (on the 15"). I'm running the crap out of the sub so that I can get those drivers run in.

bsoko2 - Now that you have run the ultras for about a week can you give a a quick update? How do they compare to the megas? Does the TC PR produce nice SQ, or would you suggest the Big Bump PR? Are you using any additional mass (putty) on the TC PR?

I know we are all interested in hearing your input, especially since you have experience with so many different subs.

Thanks
post #93 of 101 Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbsh View Post

bsoko2 - Now that you have run the ultras for about a week can you give a a quick update? How do they compare to the megas? Does the TC PR produce nice SQ, or would you suggest the Big Bump PR? Are you using any additional mass (putty) on the TC PR?

I know we are all interested in hearing your input, especially since you have experience with so many different subs.

Thanks

The TC Sounds PR does not use "putty" for tuning. It has washers on the end of the driver that you add to subract for the low end tuning. This PR comes from the factory with washers for 12 hz in room and I left it at that. Been running both subs now and they more than fill my space (6000 cu ft open to other parts of the house). I am still waiting for a TC Sounds 15" PR to come and they are on backorder until the end of September. So the PR I am using is the Big Bump from VMPS and it is tuned for 10 Hz. I am running both subs 2 channel with a Behringer EPX4000 with 2 X 2000 wpc, so each sub gets 2000 watts. The bass from both of these far exceeds Quad Empires.
post #94 of 101 Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

I am still waiting for a TC Sounds 15" PR to come and they are on backorder until the end of September. So the PR I am using is the Big Bump from VMPS and it is tuned for 10 Hz.

If you want to sell your Big Bump passive once your TC comes in please PM me.

Thanks for the update. There not much info out there on the ultras, I'm glad to hear your enjoying them.
post #95 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tried installing 15" megawoofer but the outside edge is a bit larger than the cutout. The driver sticks out approx 1cm. Should I place some weather stripping in the gap in the cabinet where the rim of the basket used to sit to create an airtight seal? Any other suggestions? The grill still fits fine but I don't know how it will be during use.

Vinod
post #96 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 07:17 AM

Liked: 10
Vino, do you know how old your Larger is? You are replacing the stock drivers with megawoofers right?
post #97 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not sure how old it is. I bought it used locally. I am replacing standard drivers with Megawoofers which I understand are drop in replacements. Lowboy style cabinet like the current model.

Vinod
post #98 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Tried installing 15" megawoofer but the outside edge is a bit larger than the cutout. The driver sticks out approx 1cm. Should I place some weather stripping in the gap in the cabinet where the rim of the basket used to sit to create an airtight seal? Any other suggestions? The grill still fits fine but I don't know how it will be during use.

I read somewhere on these forums that Brian C. has paper gaskets that go between the woofer and box to solve this problem. Call VMPS i'm sure he can help you out.
post #99 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Liked: 10
I believe that he does have those gaskets available however, it may cause certain drivers to stick out to where they hit the grille cloth during operation.

I'm going to buy one of these router bits:

http://www.amazon.com/Magnate-3505-R.../dp/B000VUCB42

...and enlarge the cutout flange so that the new drivers fit at the same depth as the old ones. I don't know if the Ultras will still have enough xmax to hit the grille cloth from there, but there's obviously less chance of it happening.
post #100 of 101 Old 08-08-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian is going to send me some gaskets. I am concerened about the driver hitting the grill. In any case how do I use the router bit? Is there any link to site where it shows how to use it? What size bit do I need?

Vinod
post #101 of 101 Old 08-09-2011, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am still hoping to see pictures of the ultramegawoofers. I found this thread from the parts express forums showing the upgraded 15 inch drivers, it is from a speaker set that looks to have the same woofer setup as the largers.

http://72.9.35.76/showthread.php?t=219142&page=2

Looks like a nice 15 but I would like to see the ultramega's.

Sounds like everyone is enjoying there largers.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page