HSU VTF-3 MK 3 vs. VTF-2 MK 3 to complement Onix Rockets - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the following setup of Onix Rocket speakers and am looking for a sub-woofer to complete my 5.1 setup. I've heard good things about Hsu sub-woofers and wanted advise on which sub to go with.

Front: Onix RS 850
Center: Onix RSC 200
Surround: Onix RS 450

My current setup plays low notes well but I want deeper bass and hence looking for a sub. I am considering HSU VTF-2 MK 3.

I'd like to know if I should upgrade to VTF-3 MK 3 to better complement my speakers. How would a 100W increase and the dual flared ports in VTF-3 MK 3 improve the performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sks2131 View Post

I have the following setup of Onix Rocket speakers and am looking for a sub-woofer to complete my 5.1 setup. I've heard good things about Hsu sub-woofers and wanted advise on which sub to go with.

Front: Onix RS 850
Center: Onix RSC 200
Surround: Onix RS 450

My current setup plays low notes well but I want deeper bass and hence looking for a sub. I am considering HSU VTF-2 MK 3.

I'd like to know if I should upgrade to VTF-3 MK 3 to better complement my speakers. How would a 100W increase and the dual flared ports in VTF-3 MK 3 improve the performance.

The larger 3.3 will have more headroom so you can run it in Maximum Extension mode which is tuned to 18Hz. While you can set the 2.3 for 18 Hz tuning the smaller box won't allow for as much headroom. At high levels, the 2.3 might produce audible port noise down low. The flared ports on the 3.3 also minimize port noise.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
What stuff do you primarily listen to? Music or movies? If it's music, the 2.3 should be adequate. For many movies especially of the action variety, the added power and depth of the 3.3 is worth the upgrade.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 70
For a time, the older VTF-3MK2 had a finish option in the same rosewood veneer as the Rockets. It has pretty much the same performance as the VTF-2MK3.

If you seek one out on all the used audio equipment boards, you may get lucky and find one.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #5 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way, wait until you hear how sweet and clean those Rockets play when you relieve them of having to reproduce the deep bass.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

What stuff do you primarily listen to? Music or movies? If it's music, the 2.3 should be adequate. For many movies especially of the action variety, the added power and depth of the 3.3 is worth the upgrade.

Its mostly music and few movies on blu-ray. The split would be 80% music and 20% movies.

The rockets play good bass and as mentioned in your other post, I am looking to relieve the Rockets from playing deep bass.
post #7 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 PM

I've got your same front three speakers. The RS850 plays pretty satisfying lows for music but you'll be happy to know it will be freed up to perform it's best when you add a sub.

Try providing your room dimensions when talking about subwoofers.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaury View Post

Try providing your room dimensions when talking about subwoofers.

Sorry. My room dimensions are 14(W)x18(L)X10(H). Also, for either of the subs at what distance from wall should they be placed?
post #9 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

The best placement is usually determined by trial-and-error and typically one shoots for the closest thing to a flat frequency reponse. Every room is different, so it's hard to guess where your best placement is. Typically, the sub will be placed close to a wall or sometimes near a corner. Again, trial-and-error. Try for not necessarily the loudest bass, but the most nautural sounding bass. Another type of placement is nearfield placementwhere the sub is put very close to the seating area.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Sorry. My room dimensions are 14(W)x18(L)X10(H).

You've got 2,520 cubic-ft to fill. According tot he Hsu site, the VTF-2 is good for up to 4,500.

I'll go out on a limb and say since you are not doing a whole lot of movie watching, I bet you are not getting much more with the VTF-3 over the VTF2.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

The best placement is usually determined by trial-and-error and typically one shoots for the closest thing to a flat frequency reponse. Every room is different, so it's hard to guess where your best placement is. Typically, the sub will be placed close to a wall or sometimes near a corner. Again, trial-and-error. Try for not necessarily the loudest bass, but the most nautural sounding bass. Another type of placement is nearfield placementwhere the sub is put very close to the seating area.

Concurring with everything mojomike said, a general rule is that the further away from room boundaries (walls, floors, ceilings) you are, the flatter the response will be.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaury View Post

You've got 2,520 cubic-ft to fill. According tot he Hsu site, the VTF-2 is good for up to 4,500.

I'll go out on a limb and say since you are not doing a whole lot of movie watching, I bet you are not getting much more with the VTF-3 over the VTF2.

Great! I am placing an order for VTF-2 MK3. Thanks for your help and advise.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Great! I am placing an order for VTF-2 MK3. Thanks for your help and advise.

All the info you have provided here will be great to send to Hsu for their advice prior to purchasing. Ask them what are the benefits with one sub over another.

We are, of course, just one source of information/opinion.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I say get the biggest one you can afford and save yourself from upgradetitus. I went from 10" to 12" to 15" and now 15"+ 2(18"pr). Coulda save myself a couple of $k if I just bought the biggest I could from the start.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-12-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

I say get the biggest one you can afford and save yourself from upgradetitus. I went from 10" to 12" to 15" and now 15"+ 2(18"pr). Coulda save myself a couple of $k if I just bought the biggest I could from the start.

That is another way of looking at the whole picture and it makes sense if you are going to be hanging around this forum. It tends to cause upgraditus.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page