otk
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Rather than start my own thread, I thought I'd share my limited impressions and ask some questions, since this thread is only 1 month since last post.

Build quality: Nice except I was surprised how rough the front ports were. Stood out like a sore thumb, the rough-cut port openings, prodigiously coated with whatever paint he uses. Finish was thick and durable, and very matt. The Woofer opening was likewise a little rough. I realize that plywood is being used here, but maybe could be sanded a bit smoother?? The dimensional accuracy of the woofer and amp placement were very good.

Sound- certain freq were very loud. We were having some room issues and so I don't know that I can accurately comment. Never heard any chuffing or strange behavior from it.

Other comments: I can see how it's tuned at 20Hz. Playing a 20Hz tone, there was almost no excursion. This is to be expected. Also, 1000W Dayton Plate amp barely tickles this thing. It seriously is begging for more. That foam surround is huge and this woofer probably has a very high XMAX.

Which leads me to my 2 questions:
1) What amp would you recommend to replace the Dayton "1000 watt" amp? Thinking you could convert it to passive and use whatever amp you want. Behringer EP2500? Behringer iNuke 3000 dsp?

2) If you wanted an additional sub to handle room response issues, must it be ported? I guess this has something to do with phase alignments and cancellation, is that correct? If it is correct, wouldn't a sub with a higher tuning have a different phase?

how long did it take you to get yours ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

Who said meat heads couldn't write? Nicely done. I think that's the first non-industrial finished cap I've seen and it looks great. Your set-up is sick man.

Was this comedic arrow slung at me?!

If so, good one!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #93 of 98 Old 01-25-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

how long did it take you to get yours ?

My cap 1k took 4 weeks.
post #94 of 98 Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM

Liked: 10
Wow! That is a good review! I'm new to forum, so I need your guys' help. I hope I'm posting in the right spot and that the thread is still active. Anyways, I'm looking to buy one of these Goliath and I'm having a pretty hard time getting a hold of JTR. I've sent them emails weeks ago without a reply. I just called them only to be greeted by the answering machine. So I figured I'd join this forum! I do all of my research here anyways so why not! biggrin.gif I know how much the standard finish captivator costs, but I'm trying to figure out how much in addition to the cost the black oak veneer will be. Mastermaybe's sub is exactly what I'm after since the finish will match my Polk RTIA9's. The sub obviously will ship from Illinois and I live in Kansas so shipping is around $130.00 +/-. I just need the veneer cost so I know how much total I need to get one of these subs. Furthermore, since I'm here, this thing will be replacing a JBL S120PII that I've had for years. Oddly enough my father wants the JBL when I pull the trigger on the Cap. I'm open to any and all advice from you guys so here we go; bare with me as I'm not as skilled as most of you when it come to the super technical aspect(s) of calibrating so that will have to wait until the Cap is in the house.

This thing will be downstairs in the basement. The room is basically a 35x20x7.5 rectangle which nets me 5,250 cubic feet to fill. Now the JBL does an OK job at this, but I have to run it hot with the gain up almost all of the way to get anything out of it in this room. In smaller sized rooms that it's been in in the past the JBL does fine. Will the Cap do a better job of filling up the basement? I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-53, and I have ran the automated calibration which the fronts, center, surrounds, and surround back speakers sound great. It's just the low end is what I'm lacking and I hope the Captivator will make a noticeable difference. I'm pretty darn sure it will, so I'm anxious to get this thing. Any input from you guys would be a big help to me. I know I'll have more questions later, but I need to figure out how much this thing will cost first! smile.gif If anyone has purchased one of these with the veneer what was the additional cost????

Do you think that's loud enough? What?
post #95 of 98 Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeItLouder View Post

Wow! That is a good review! I'm new to forum, so I need your guys' help. I hope I'm posting in the right spot and that the thread is still active. Anyways, I'm looking to buy one of these Goliath and I'm having a pretty hard time getting a hold of JTR. I've sent them emails weeks ago without a reply. I just called them only to be greeted by the answering machine. So I figured I'd join this forum! I do all of my research here anyways so why not! biggrin.gif I know how much the standard finish captivator costs, but I'm trying to figure out how much in addition to the cost the black oak veneer will be. Mastermaybe's sub is exactly what I'm after since the finish will match my Polk RTIA9's. The sub obviously will ship from Illinois and I live in Kansas so shipping is around $130.00 +/-. I just need the veneer cost so I know how much total I need to get one of these subs. Furthermore, since I'm here, this thing will be replacing a JBL S120PII that I've had for years. Oddly enough my father wants the JBL when I pull the trigger on the Cap. I'm open to any and all advice from you guys so here we go; bare with me as I'm not as skilled as most of you when it come to the super technical aspect(s) of calibrating so that will have to wait until the Cap is in the house.
This thing will be downstairs in the basement. The room is basically a 35x20x7.5 rectangle which nets me 5,250 cubic feet to fill. Now the JBL does an OK job at this, but I have to run it hot with the gain up almost all of the way to get anything out of it in this room. In smaller sized rooms that it's been in in the past the JBL does fine. Will the Cap do a better job of filling up the basement? I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-53, and I have ran the automated calibration which the fronts, center, surrounds, and surround back speakers sound great. It's just the low end is what I'm lacking and I hope the Captivator will make a noticeable difference. I'm pretty darn sure it will, so I'm anxious to get this thing. Any input from you guys would be a big help to me. I know I'll have more questions later, but I need to figure out how much this thing will cost first! smile.gif If anyone has purchased one of these with the veneer what was the additional cost????

I would repost in the master/owner's thread. I know Jeff visits that thread to answer questions etc:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1186832/jtr-captivator

Here's Jeff's profile page...though I see since pulling it up...he hasn't been on AVS for over 3 weeks.

http://www.avsforum.com/u/7786914/jeff-permanian

I would send Jeff a PM through his profile page...another way to contact him.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
New lower price : Anthem MX-510 Receiver (awaiting payment) & ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair):
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...iver-sale.html
post #96 of 98 Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM

Liked: 10
Ah ok thank you sir!

Do you think that's loud enough? What?
post #97 of 98 Old 10-20-2014, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 848
Bumping a good old thread. James - your review was excellent.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #98 of 98 Old 10-21-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I've read the review a few times and it is indeed well done. Love that veneer on the Cap too.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Infinity P363's, PC351, P153's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page