post #301 of 308 Old 10-23-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I actually just hooked them up in my normal L/R placement on the floor to give them a good break in session overnight. I bought them originally thinking I'd use them on the upstairs entertainment center, but I learned they are not sheilded, so they won't work with our older CRT TV entertainment center. If I use them at the computer I'd need to buy a little amp of some sort, or I guess I could hook them up as a zone 2 or zone 3 on the Onkyo. I was also considering using them as height or width channels in 9.1 I'm not a believer in the absolute necessity of matching surrounds, so the fact they aren't wharfedale or klipsch won't bother me.

You should swing by sometime soon and check them out for yourself. You're close enough!!!

I don't metal much. I've been listening to light rock actually. Give me a song to try? If I can stomach it - I'll try, but I'm not likely to know what to listen for because that hard metal music is grating to me. I might end up disliking the speakers at the point they start streaming metal music

Yeah, I need to come check out the dual Caps anyway.

Try Fade To Black by Metallica. Great crunchy rhythm guitars, beautiful guitar solos, great bassline during the verses, and a chorus so good it doesn't need or have vocals. If you find you don't like this song, lie to me.

For something heavier try Crippled and Broken by Kataklysm. You may not make it through that song....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 308 Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I quite enjoyed the performance of the single 8's from jtr. I had previously thought that I needed a triple 8 or triple 12 setup, boy was I wrong! Rarely does a speaker come forth that can play so dang loud i feel the need to plug my ears. And these single 8's were capable of ear splitting sound levels.
post #303 of 308 Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am on the edge of my seat for the results. I can't wait.
post #304 of 308 Old 10-24-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
The results are posted-but if you all could hold up on posting questions and comments on the subfest thread, that would be nice to give some time to complete the writeup.

Also, if you have questions on data I left out that you think would add to the thread, feel free to PM ME the questions and I will add it to the initial post or pose them here
post #305 of 308 Old 10-24-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Sorry about bailing Greg; wish I could have made it as I would like to have heard some of those massive subs. In a way, it might have been a good thing as I don't want any reason to re-evaluate my setup as I'm happy with it.

-Jason

The "Z" Family Theater - Almost "complete".
-Not your average sub build
-Klipsch Sonosub Build

SONY quality and customer service FTMFL
post #306 of 308 Old 10-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
If possible, I'd like to read some more commentary on the JTR single 8's.
post #307 of 308 Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

They were nice speakers. I felt they had some solid output, but we were cranking them to insane levels as well. They had nice detail on low volume. They look industrious like the Cap Pros.

I still prefer waveguides, but I wish we would have had time to A/B them.
post #308 of 308 Old 10-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt34 View Post

Tough question since speakers vary so much with placement and different rooms. I can't compare to anything and if there were other designs in the same room, some of them would be apples to oranges based on the dispersion pattern. The imaging of these were precise from the back couch in the sweet spot. The highs do not drop off rapidly from various heights and distances out of the sweet spot (the majority of speakers I have heard are MTMs). I was standing on the stairs (outside of the right speaker) and the center image was still strong. If you enjoy playing LOUD, these speakers will do just that and hold their composure.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Kyle Bosso - SOB

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page