post #181 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

We are using the ScubaSteve Demos as much as we can.

Here is a rough draft of the clips....this will look a little different when Saturday comes due to us finding originals of the material (movies)

Movies

THX Intro 0:44

Master and Commander: Cannon Scene

TRON: Ship on grid picks up Sam 2:35

LOTR 1: Beginning Scene with LFE shock wave

War of the Worlds: Pod Emerges 0-3:30

Flight of the Phoenix: Crash Scene 0-1:52

Iron Man: Missile Scene 0-0:36

Incredible Hulk: Cop Car Scene 0:43-2:58 (2:15)

Iron Man 2: Jumps out of plane down to Stark Expo: Fireworks 5:18-6:03 (0:45)

How To Train Your Dragon 2:50

Kung Fu Panda 1:54

Pearl Harbor 3:08-5:58 (2:50)

Black Hawk Down 1:05

Cloverfield 2:27

Battle L.A. 2:29

Red Cliff

Transformers 2 : Optimus Flip Cannon Shot Scene Warehouse

Transformers 2: Opening Credits (Seriously, crank this)

Transformers 3: Bumblebee Slow Mo

Music

John Mayer - Waiting On the World to Change 2:01-2:42 (0:41)

The Vikings 6:00-6:20 (0:20)

Deeper 1:01-2:19 (1:18)

Hotel California :30-1:41 (1:11)

The list will probably have a few additions and maybe some cutting down of some of the longer clips.

Did I mention the list is subject to change?

Is this available for purchase on DVD?

HH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

Is this available for purchase on DVD?

HH

You know, I didn't think about that, but I guess we could try and do that during the GTG for attendees.

My HTPC has a BD burner and I frequently download, burn a blu-ray all while watching a film through XBMC with no problems, so that might be an option.

I have no blank discs though.

There is a scubasteve demo blu-ray (1.0 and 2.0) for sale and torrent download if you search the forums. I don't know the direct link. That is what we are using to take most of our material.
post #183 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Man...I'm so envious of you guys. If I was within a reasonable drive I'd be there! Ya'll are going to have a blast.

This may have been covered, but I haven't read the entire thing. I may have even said this myself??? But could you consider using Scubasteve's second demo disc for material? It's got most of the heavy hitters on it, and is something that many of us have for point of reference in our own systems.

Lots of photos guys! Can't have enough.

I have ability to take hundreds of photos or even more if needed. Shall I bring video camera to?
post #184 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosponge View Post

I have ability to take hundreds of photos or even more if needed. Shall I bring video camera to?

Technosponge has offered and we've accepted him taking the pictures, he is even going to touch them up for us prior to posting!

That will be really nice.

You can bring your video camera as well too, then we can have mine as back-up.
post #185 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I vote for additional music clips. Very few people buy a subwoofer only for home theatre -- there is some sort of ratio of use between music and movies. We don't have to have much more, but should try to represent a short snip from each popular genre, with at least one dubstep type music clip to show off the deep bass - because I think a good portion of the so proclaimed bass heads on this forum are dubstep type music fans (as evidenced by the subwoofer song of the day thread - most of those recommendations are electronic music --- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1324979)... Greg -- It looks like maybe you are trying to stick with all visual concert material thus far?

A couple examples of the type of music I would hope for at least a small representation...

Flux Pavillion - Gold Dust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEbJ4qLiMu0
30 sec mark start

Dead Mau5 - Ghosts N Stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV8eiSA4vqc
45 sec mark start

Example - Kickstarts (Bar 9 Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRKJTZ_M1Pg
40 second mark start

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #186 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I vote for additional music clips. Very few people buy a subwoofer only for home theatre -- there is some sort of ratio of use between music and movies. We don't have to have much more, but should try to represent a short snip from each popular genre, with at least one dubstep type music clip to show off the deep bass - because I think a good portion of the so proclaimed bass heads on this forum are dubstep type music fans (as evidenced by the subwoofer song of the day thread - most of those recommendations are electronic music)... Greg -- It looks like maybe you are trying to stick with all visual concert material thus far?

A couple examples of the type of music I would hope for at least a small representation...

30 sec mark start

45 sec mark start

Example - Kickstarts (Bar 9 Remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRKJTZ_M1Pg
40 second mark start

Good suggestions, I thought yours was too heavy on music, and now ours is too heavy on movies.

We are using all original sources on our clips. Whether that be buying the BluRay (just got the Incredible Hulk and Revenge of the Fallen) or the CD.

Then desertdome is making graphs of the bass content of each clip. Those will be on handouts (printer willing) as well.

We should be able to find a couple more. Steely Dan Two Against Nature is suppose to have some solid kickdrum, etc stuff when cranked.
We can look into digital downloads as well.
post #187 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

John Mayer - Waiting On the World to Change 2:01-2:42 (0:41)
Know this one

who is this?

who is this?

Eagles - Hotel California :30-1:41 (1:11)
Know this one

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #188 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:

who is this?

who is this?

I deliberately left off the info on those two so I could find out whose been leaking info for the GTG. It looks like HuskerOmaha is the guilty one.

The Vikings is from Pomp and Pipes as recommend in the What organ music are you using to show off? thread. I take it you missed that thread?

Deeper is from the album Deeper by Pete Belasco. I heard it at RMAF 2009 in the GR-Research room.
post #189 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a scubasteve demo blu-ray (1.0 and 2.0) for sale and torrent download if you search the forums. I don't know the direct link. That is what we are using to take most of our material.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283375

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

The Vikings is from Pomp and Pipes as recommend in the What organ music are you using to show off? thread. I take it you missed that thread?

If it's organ music - - - yeah I missed it Hey I can't fault a man for the type of music he likes...including a sample from multiple genres in our tests will be ideal! (wink)

I laughed when I read this article -
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ge...-bass/two-subs

specifically this paragraph -

It was time to go a little lower so I fired up my Rhapsody service featured in my Yamaha RX-Z7. I searched out some bass tunes popularized by teenage car audio enthusiasts back in the 90s. I am not a fan of this crap but I wanted to really test out the low end and this was the easiest way to do an instant comparison of the low end bass response. The EP500 was at a big advantage during this test. It played down lower and created a much LARGER tactile response than the dual EP400s. The single EP500 rattled my walls while the dual EP400s did so but at a much reduced level and tactile presence. Overall the bass of the dual 400s was smoother and more defined but true bass heads that listen to this type of so called “music” will prefer the bigger woof that the EP500 offers. For that crowd, I encourage you to consider an EP800 or two.

The teenage car audio enthusiasts back in the 90s --- yeah that was me (32 years old now)...And I'd fall into the category of the 'true bass heads' that like that 'crap' "music". hahaha!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #190 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Michael is going through a lot of the music and trying to find stuff where the bass isn't synthesized 15-20 db louder over the other frequencies just to be loud-but maybe that is how all the techno/dance bass heavy stuff is?

Just ordered the BBQ....5 lbs each of pork and beef sandwiches, and a small number or ribs (sorry, going to have to do 1/2 rack a person, I ain't made of money!)
post #191 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I'd love to come just for the food!!!

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #192 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Just ordered the BBQ....5 lbs each of pork and beef sandwiches, and a small number or ribs (sorry, going to have to do 1/2 rack a person, I ain't made of money!)

If craigsub's gonna be there he'll pick up the tab but you might want to move him up to the preferred seating .

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #193 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

30 sec mark start

45 sec mark start

Here are the max output graphs of the two songs in their entirety. They don't have any bass below 40 Hz. I couldn't download the 3rd one from youtube. Do you have any sources for lossless dubstep that I could purchase?
LL
LL
post #194 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

If craigsub's gonna be there he'll pick up the tab but you might want to move him up to the preferred seating .

Hah, yeah maybe I should think about that!
post #195 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I don't need to be on the front row, and I know my friend KCnitro won't feel like he needs to be on the front row as he has a whopping two posts on this forum and is perfectly happy with his BIC F12 sub, with no intent to upgrade (as of yet) - put him in the back and accommodate your heaviest posters in the front -- or just draw straws for that matter.

I also think those attending need to understand they are chipping in on these meals you are setting up. Nobody should expect complete charity here. (this from the KC guys camping out on your floor the night before the meet -- )

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #196 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't need to be on the front row, and I know my friend KCnitro won't feel like he needs to be on the front row as he has a whopping two posts on this forum and is perfectly happy with his BIC F12 sub, with no intent to upgrade (as of yet) - put him in the back and accommodate your heaviest posters in the front -- or just draw straws for that matter.

I also think those attending need to understand they are chipping in on these meals you are setting up. Nobody should expect complete charity here. (this from the KC guys camping out on your floor the night before the meet -- )

Yeah, I'm not one to ask for donations, I'm just going to see what happens. I'd assume people would chip in some hamiltons.

We can just draw straws for where people can sit too, all that is in stone is desertdome's spot. Those staying for it all are 1st, then we will go for whatever after that. We will probably have 3-4 folding chairs set up next to the HT seats along the side walls.
post #197 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here are the max output graphs of the two songs in their entirety. They don't have any bass below 40 Hz. I couldn't download the 3rd one from youtube. Do you have any sources for lossless dubstep that I could purchase?

Yeah video editing a song usually ends up cutting out frequencies...I've noticed this myself --- I was just providing those links for a quick reference to some dubstep type songs that are neat. When I was preparing for the KC subwoofer meet I noticed that windows movie maker really cut out low frequencies from the video's I created of the song compilations. I quit immediately when the I re listened to a couple and they sounded nothing the same.

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll forward you some high bit rate MP3s that I forwarded to Greg - they should serve the purpose. I don't have lossless FLAC, but with this type of music (not a whole lot going on) high bit rate MP3s are perfectly adequate and indistinguishable in my opinion.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #198 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah video editing a song usually ends up cutting out frequencies...I've noticed this myself --- I was just providing those links for a quick reference to some dubstep type songs that are neat. When I was preparing for the KC subwoofer meet I noticed that windows movie maker really cut out low frequencies from the video's I created of the song compilations. I quit immediately when the I re listened to a couple and they sounded nothing the same.

PM me your e-mail addy and I'll forward you some high bit rate MP3s that I forwarded to Greg - they should serve the purpose. I don't have lossless FLAC, but with this type of music (not a whole lot going on) high bit rate MP3s are perfectly adequate and indistinguishable in my opinion.

I already sent Michael those attachments, I think we were trying to use lossless for everything. This GTG has to be perfect.
post #199 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

63 and Sunny forecast for Saturday. Perfect.
post #200 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the night before the meet -- )

You mean, "the night before the meat." I know you KC guys are just coming up to get some good BBQ!

Quote:

I'll forward you some high bit rate MP3s that I forwarded to Greg - they should serve the purpose.

I've got the ones Greg forwarded. I'll listen to them and add some tomorrow. I can just re-encode them to a lossless format so Greg thinks I got them from another source.
post #201 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You mean, "the night before the meat." I know you KC guys are just coming up to get some good BBQ!

haha

Omaha has better BBQ than KC? Inconceivable!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #202 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got the ones Greg forwarded. I'll listen to them and add some tomorrow. I can just re-encode them to a lossless format so Greg thinks I got them from another source.

Quote:

haha

Omaha has better BBQ than KC? Inconceivable!

What? You were the one that wanted lossless. Are you sure this EQ thing is even going to work?

I haven't tried this BBQ place. I bet it is satisfactory though!
post #203 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 PM

Liked: 12
I will pass up my seating position if I can listen to some music Friday night . I squatted last Friday for first time in four years so I'm hoping my legs are healed by Saturday for lifting .

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #204 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 03:10 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

Hah, yeah maybe I should think about that!

I take it back (moving Craig). For him, the bar is preferred seating .

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #205 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarny View Post

I will pass up my seating position if I can listen to some music Friday night . I squatted last Friday for first time in four years so I'm hoping my legs are healed by Saturday for lifting .

If you guys are so disinterested in sitting in the best two seats in the house, I guess I will be forced to sit in the spots so I can make sure I have the best subs for the $$$$ in my setup!

I squatted for the first time in probably 10 years 2 months ago doing the 5-3-1 program....80 sets in all.

It was stupid, I couldn't walk for almost a week. I thought I was going to get compartment syndrome like all of the Iowa football players
post #206 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 03:28 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

If you guys are so disinterested in sitting in the best two seats in the house, I guess I will be forced to sit in the spots so I can make sure I have the best subs for the $$$$ in my setup!

I squatted for the first time in probably 10 years 2 months ago doing the 5-3-1 program....80 sets in all.

It was stupid, I couldn't walk for almost a week. I thought I was going to get compartment syndrome like all of the Iowa football players

I will think about the seating later tonight. I am attending a bar crawl, well maybe a bar carry since he did wrestle 103 .

At least you got to feel like one of the players again haha.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

Kyle Bosso - SOB

post #207 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarny View Post

I will think about the seating later tonight. I am attending a bar crawl, well maybe a bar carry since he did wrestle 103 .

At least you got to feel like one of the players again haha.

You squatted for the first time in years, and now you are going to go get severely dehydrated? Love it! Sounds like something I would do.

It looks like a slim to no chance we will get eD reps there, they are behind on the Cinema line orders and Alex said he can't get over here.

It would be nice to have more reps, but I understand everyone has stuff to do!

My wife and kids are staying at a friends place in Iowa Saturday night (almost certain of this) so we will be fine going as late as we want---and whoever wants to stay overnight that needs to is welcome.

May have to push back the start time to 10am though instead of 9am, or would that negatively affect anyone?
post #208 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Is there a film the guys staying Friday night would like to watch? I could go rent or buy the BD since I really don't own any.

I just purchased Revenge of the Fallen and Incredible Hulk, so I am planning on watching one of those with the family tonight to really work the F20s and convince myself I don't want those.

Any ideas on the film choice, let me know. Family will be sleeping here that night, so we can't get too crazy.
post #209 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
More music/video with bass Saturday night? I turned you on to Animusic for a reason, HO.

I can bring DVD-As, SACDs, concert DVDs and a Marantz universal player if needed.

I have no problem chipping in a Hamilton and I'll even bring some brews (and root beer), and possibly a guest, we'll see. She is working even more hours than I.

I used to be a distance runner, my skinny butt can squat more reps/lbs. than any of you. But I'll bring my own chair.

Minnesota @ 2:30pm on the side?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #210 of 308 Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Animusic is very cool! The very last track and one of the first ones with drums and guitars are both good demo tracks. I have a few AC3 metallica tracks. 5.1 recordings of several of their more popular songs. Not dubstep -but pretty fun to listen to.

Perhaps some just good old fashioned "bass i love you" by bassotronics? :P the same song the two brothers used in their five sub $1000 shootout.

I'm listening to that right now at -12 from reference and my projector wall is shaking, and my vision is slightly blurring on one light of four (power levels) using the inuke DSP 3000 amp. You want to test the structure of the home and the reliability of your subwoofer drivers - this is pretty much the one...There is definately some 15hz arena stuff in here. That's around the range my walls shake.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page