Tinnitus scare last night makes me rethink this hobby. - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #271 of 271 Old 05-09-2017, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr Berka View Post
Hey there.
Excellent topic!
Last week, I encountered first hearing damage. Techno music in some club. No place to hide, too loud. Bottle standing on the concrete stand or on the table would not stand for long time, even 15m far from the speaker stage. Crazy. I didn´t expect it to be so loud, but didn´t want to stay outside in cold. When we went home, I couldn´t hear on my left ear. I got some parties behind, so poor hearing after the party is not what I would be scared of. But to my surprise, sleeping for 12 hours didn´t help. I got very loud ringing and hissing in my ear, and couldn´t hear anything past 4-8kHz.
That scared the hell out of me. Now it´s almost week after the party, and while it got significantly better (80%) it is not fully cured and okay. Seems I might climb to 90% in oncoming weeks, but the loss is there. Too bad. I used to have excellent ears. Could sense tones up to 22,5kHz. Not anymore. Ended on 17,5k today, might go 18 after fully healed. The tinnitus is there. It´s weak, I can easily sleep at night in quiet village, but I hear it. Damn. It´s so easy to make a mistake. I regret so much...

As I like loud music (got 21" PA bass speaker now, and some semi-pro PA tops for nearfield usage), today I took a mobile phone SPL meter, and found out I ordinarily go in 120db range while listening my music. Crazy! Dude!!! Behave!
100db sounds so quiet, I couldn´t believe.

I also thought the bass is not a problem for hearing damage if you don´t go crazy. I clearly have the acute tinnitus from high tones, as it´s what caused the limiting and slight pain in my ear, but if I think about it, the bass can be quiet killer. You think it´s all okay, and one day, you realize your hearing is gone. Just like that. Without previous trouble. Take care guys...
Go easy mate..despite advancements in bone conduction, hearing is something you really want keep as long as possible..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page