AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post

Fascinating thread.

As a former FOH/monitor engineer, a lifelong shooter, and a current LEO, my ears have been punished.

However, i had an ear infection earlier this year that nearly put me in the emergency room and required some very powerful antibiotics.

The infection, which was in my right ear, caused intense ringing for several weeks, followed by a loss in hearing from 1k-5k that was pronounced. However, i have since recovered my normal hearing in my right ear.

My audiologist have me some of the weirdest advice for my recovery, in addition to nearly abject silence......she proscribed a white noise machine that produced a fairly bass heavy signal. What she meant was basically pink noise from ~900hz on down. She said to sleep with it on every night and that it would "reset" my hearing and even refresh it in both ears.

I bought a machine on Amazon, sound + sleep, for an obscene amount of coin (damn near a c-note).

And, by golly, this black magic has worked wonders for me. Its taken the smidge of tinnitus that i had and basically made it go away.

I'll ask her what led her to deliver this advice....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Which settings on the sound + sleep machine have you found to be the most effective? Reviews on Amazon look VERY good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a few apps on my phone that produce sounds but not as good as the sound produced by my fan. This S+S machine looks promising and will take a look into it and see if I can use it for sure! Thanks for posting BufordTJustice!

Gamertag: BaneAssassin
PSN: BaneAssassin
post #93 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 11
Yah after a Mutemath concert last year I started hearing faint ringing in my right ear from time to time. It isn't constant thankfully but I'm being very protective of my hearing now so I don't get further damage.

Here is how long it takes for hearing damage to occur under a sustained SPL level according to NIOSH or OSHA Standard.
post #94 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, quite the discrepancy between them. I wonder if that is A weighted, C weighted, no weighted or what.

post #95 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Quote:

Fascinating thread.

As a former FOH/monitor engineer, a lifelong shooter, and a current LEO, my ears have been punished.

However, i had an ear infection earlier this year that nearly put me in the emergency room and required some very powerful antibiotics.

The infection, which was in my right ear, caused intense ringing for several weeks, followed by a loss in hearing from 1k-5k that was pronounced. However, i have since recovered my normal hearing in my right ear.

My audiologist have me some of the weirdest advice for my recovery, in addition to nearly abject silence......she proscribed a white noise machine that produced a fairly bass heavy signal. What she meant was basically pink noise from ~900hz on down. She said to sleep with it on every night and that it would "reset" my hearing and even refresh it in both ears.

I bought a machine on Amazon, sound + sleep, for an obscene amount of coin (damn near a c-note).

And, by golly, this black magic has worked wonders for me. Its taken the smidge of tinnitus that i had and basically made it go away.

Which settings on the sound + sleep machine have you found to be the most effective? Reviews on Amazon look VERY good.

I use "white noise", with zero enhancements engaged. The enhancements cause out to shift to a higher tone. You can use the adaptive volume if you want.

The find is an actual sound file of pretty darn high fidelity so there is no looping. You simply cannot tell where it behind and where it ends....that was my problem with cheaper sound machines. I could hear the pattern and turret pattern eventually sounded like a drum beat. Not with this one. Also, there is a 3.5mm audio out.

I think most clips are around 30-45 mins in length.

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #96 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Soon of a b*&ch!!!! My phone auto-uncorrects everything i type!!!!

Arcam AVR300, Panny BDT-500, Toshiba SD-9200 CD transport, Vizio XVT 55" LED/LCD (full direct-backlit w/ local dimming), Arx A5 & A3rx-c Mains, Arx A2rx-c center, HSU VTF-15h, BJC ten white w/ ultrasonically welded connectors.
post #97 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So you can put it on repeat and have the same 45 min sound going all night long?

post #98 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 505
If this... Ecotones Sound + Sleep Machine, Model ASM1002 ...is the machine being discussed, I recommend it.

My wife bought one about a year or so ago - primarily to block out ambient noise (like my snoring) so that she could sleep better - and she loves it.

I find it's very useful, too, for my mild tinnitus and also for blocking out ambient noise when I'm trying to sleep in on weekends. (Cats make a surprising amount of racket when they're running around the house and meowing at 4 or 5a.m. on a Saturday!)

We haven't played with many of the sounds, but we both like the basic "Waterfall" sound.

(I also have an app on my BlackBerry PlayBook that does pretty good white noise, great for when I'm away from the house.)

post #99 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Wow, quite the discrepancy between them. I wonder if that is A weighted, C weighted, no weighted or what.

Both standards are A-Weighted... see the scale (dBA).
post #100 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:

So you can put it on repeat and have the same 45 min sound going all night long?

Yessir. Its on loop forever until you turn it off. It has a timer that you can enable for 30/60/90 mins....but i never use it. I just use it in the "on" mode.

post #101 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 12:57 PM

Eljay, that's the one. I bought mine from Amazon as well.

There is a reason it costs more than the others. Every single sound file sounds really lifelike. They say that all are actual recordings of the real thing and i would believe it. Also, it has a separate midwoofer and tweeter that are top mounted. Puts out a surprising amount of bass and has a lot of treble clarity. This is not a clock radio as far as sound quality goes.

post #102 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

Yah after a Mutemath concert last year I started hearing faint ringing in my right ear from time to time. It isn't constant thankfully but I'm being very protective of my hearing now so I don't get further damage.

Here is how long it takes for hearing damage to occur under a sustained SPL level according to NIOSH or OSHA Standard.

Hello, fellow MuteMath fan. biggrin.gif

post #103 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Fascinating thread.

My Ear Doc said the system they sell costs almost $7000.00 so if what you got cost less than a hundred, consider it the bargain of the century if it really helped your Tinitus. Now of course, the skeptic in me wants to think it had nothing to do with the white noise and just went away on it's own....

However, the Doc did tell me that in 33% of the cases, the Hearing Aid Solution they sell works, so you may just be onto something. I wonder if they are similar in nature only the $7k version uses a custom made Hearing Aids and thus the higher cost? I'm sure it's probably marked up to the moon in profit for the Audio Doc too...

Either way, if this works, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the one they are trying to sell me at the Docs office. I'm thinking of getting one... wink.gif

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #104 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... Every single sound file sounds really lifelike. ... Also, it has a separate midwoofer and tweeter that are top mounted. Puts out a surprising amount of bass and has a lot of treble clarity.
Yes, the sounds are pretty realistic, and I like the fact that they can be varied. And the speakers do put out quite a rich, full sound for their size.

For me and my wife, this machine has been worth the asking price.

post #105 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I'll be darned... I Googled the Sound + Sleep Machine and it definitely is used for Tinutus sufferers. . I just purchased one from Amazon.com. They have a smaller Travel Version for about ten bucks more too.

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #106 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Well, I just ordered up one of those sleep machines. Not because I have a hard time gettin to sleep but more because if there is even the remotest chance it might help diminish my tinnitus, it will be money well spent. Wifey likes the idea too as she has to turn on soft music to fall asleep and she's always wanted to try something different.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #107 of 253 Old 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Cool, let us know what you think of it.

post #108 of 253 Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Well, I just ordered up one of those sleep machines. Not because I have a hard time gettin to sleep but more because if there is even the remotest chance it might help diminish my tinnitus, it will be money well spent. Wifey likes the idea too as she has to turn on soft music to fall asleep and she's always wanted to try something different.

Well said. If it helps even a little, It would be more than worth it. There are quite a few stories of low frequency "brown" noise helping with Tinitus. My wife likes the idea too, so that was the clincher. Ours will be here tomorrow. Fingers are crossed... Toes too. smile.gif

post #109 of 253 Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

My sleep machine arrived yesterday. My insomniac wife grabbed it and used it last night (I fell asleep in the cave) and said she hasn't slept that good in recent memory. Now I've got to figure out how I'm gonna get it back. LOL

I wonder if having a "his and hers" sleep machines would cause any detrimental effects to the quality of the sound fields, especially when we would both be listening to different soundstories. I'm thinkin that the volume would be low enough on either side of the king sized bed not to cause conflicts.

post #110 of 253 Old 04-21-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My sleep machine arrived yesterday. My insomniac wife grabbed it and used it last night (I fell asleep in the cave) and said she hasn't slept that good in recent memory.
Cool. cool.gif
Quote:
I wonder if having a "his and hers" sleep machines would cause any detrimental effects ...
Hopefully neither one of you ends up in a null! biggrin.gif

post #111 of 253 Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

Kind of freaking me out there, HTFanboi1200. Most of the time I wear hearing protection during these activities.

Hunting or target practice: Check

Military gunfire, cannons, mortar fire, Claymores, grenades: Check

Play drums: Check

Day in day out work around machinery: Check

Carp, I have a ringing in both ears around 4000 Hz. I actually got it from a neck injury in a car accident. I have annual hearing checks and my hearing is actually very good. Just that persistent ringing. Most of the time it is easy to ignore, it is low enough in level that a low speed fan drowns it out. Other times it can seem quite loud, sometimes just one ear decides to go off, ringing away. That is nerve damage.

Do your ears ring after a listening session, Carp? If they do, you need to turn it down a bit, you are listening too loud. I keep an SPL meter not only for simple measurements but to track my long term listening levels. 85-95 dB is about as high as you should go for a 2 hour listening session, IMO. Any louder than that is no good for anyone. Keep in mind, these are peak readings, not steady state, so those levels should be ok. I'm not a doctor, though, you need to judge this for yourself. Find your comfort level and stick to it. It wouldn't be a bad idea to see your doctor.

Tessearct67,

I read this thread and your post with great interest. Glad to see a thread acknowledging this "phantom pain" that a Dr once told me. My frequency ringing is also ~4000Hz. Found that out from extensive testing at Mayo in Rochester, MN several years ago. I had a huge DJ system/business from 1979-1993 and I know that is the main cause of my high pitch sound. Drs told me to stay away from drinking alcohol, chocolate, coffee, high caffeine foods, etc. The sound machine looks interesting and I may have to try one. Not sure about the rest of you out there on this thread, but some days its a struggle to function or totally concentrate if the noise gets louder or even fluctuates. I have learned to cope and compensate over the years. One Dr wanted to put me on a high dose of anti depressant to combat the sound and mood. I told him to stick his meds up his . . . Anyway, very good info from everyone and hope to learn more as time goes on. I have a really nice vintage Yamaha system that I want to enjoy for a long time, hoping my hearing won't deteriorate. If it does, somebody is going to be buying a nice system and I'll settle for a Bose radio . . . :-)
post #112 of 253 Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Checking in... We got the Sound + Sleep Machine from Amazon.com and I have to say, I think it helps me sleep. My wife and I like the "City" Sound and use one level of Enhancement. The City sound seems to be the one that drowns out the Tinitus the best for me. It was a good suggestion, and I'm glad I bought it. Thanks for the tip.

post #113 of 253 Old 04-22-2013, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Good to hear it worked smile.gif
post #114 of 253 Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Love hate relationship with AVS, hate that it makes me buy things I never knew I needed/wanted, love running into interesting info. Have had tinnitus for some time (didn't know better when I was younger. Loud concerts, loud clubs and parties, firing a .357 snub with no hearing protection, a firecracker going off inches from my ear that had me thinking for 3-4 days that I was permanently deafened in my right ear etc.). Yeah, the tinnitus from hearing doesn't go away, the brain just sort of learns to tune it out, kind of the way the brain stops smelling something after you've been continually exposed to it for a while (like no longer noticing the stench of all the bat guano we were standing in after a few minutes prepping at the entrance before entering the cave).

Most days it's not bad, but every once in a while, my brain decides (consciously or unconsciously) to see if the ringing is still there, and then it gets annoying till something distracts me enough that the brain can go back to its regular programing of tuning it out. I DO however, happen to be in a situation where I must endure sleeping amongst some occasionally noisy housemates for several days of the week for work. Even though I always sleep with some form of white noise (I always have a fan going when I'm sleeping) AND wear 30db earplugs in the house with the housemates, I still get woken up.

It's weird, but when I was in high school, it generally took 3 alarm clocks placed in random spots around the room to wake me up, and they had to be the LOUD kind with the bells to wake me up, or I'd sleep right through them. I once slept through my dad's car rolling out the garage, down the slope of the driveway, smashing through the wrought iron gate and across the road where it rammed the neighbor's car into a ditch (dog chewed through the parking brake cable and as the car warmed up while my dad was having breakfast, I guess the vibrations got it rolling out the garage and down the slope). I didn't even know all this occurred (my bedroom was in front of the house where all this occurred) till my mom asked me about it later that night. The year after I graduated HS though, I somehow transitioned from being a VERY heavy sleeper, to becoming a light enough sleeper that virtually every sound woke me up, so now I always have some kind of white noise to mask softer sounds.

Gonna try that noise generator to see if I can kill 2 birds with one stone, get some sounder sleep AND maybe reduce the effects of the tinnitus.

Max
post #115 of 253 Old 05-24-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Good luck Max! The sleep machine has helped and I do feel more rested. Can't say that my tinnitus has diminished at all but I've only had it a month.

I wonder how many AVS members suffer from tinnitus. It might be interesting to conduct some sort of poll.

post #116 of 253 Old 05-24-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 660
I do
carp does
luke kamp does

Three of the KC guys Mine will usually go away if I lay off for a while - but it's back right now cause I was over at carps recently listening to his system play at ridiculous levels. Left ear's been bugging me all week.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #117 of 253 Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
add me to the list - non-stop, although most of the time I don't notice unless (a) I think about it, or (b) seems to get worse when triggered by shrill sounds (like my horrible Mini Cooper AM radio).

Lots of potential causes, probably a combination: within a few feet of an explosion (fool at rocket range grinding model rocket fuel with a mortar and pistil; bigger fool was me curiously watching) when about 10; years of being in a band standing in front of a Marshall stack; loud concerts in high school years (Judas Priest at the Whiskey - temporary hearing loss for a couple days); power tools without hearing protection (indoors); headphones too loud / too long playing COD - bang bang bang. HT is probably the least of it, I usually watch at between -15 and -12.

I also seem to recall as a kid being extremely sensitive to very high frequencies - like hearing the high squeal of commercial air conditioning units at department stores ("doesn't that sound drive you nuts? You can't hear it??" - leave the building, its gone).

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #118 of 253 Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I do
carp does
luke kamp does

Three of the KC guys Mine will usually go away if I lay off for a while - but it's back right now cause I was over at carps recently listening to his system play at ridiculous levels. Left ear's been bugging me all week.

WTF are you guys doing. You are all young and this is serious shite. It will not get better.

My best friend was a Marine and thanks to the Corps and his own stupidity, he is deaf in one ear and only hears a few frequencies in the other. He's now 50 and has to lip read and guess what people are saying to him. The only bonus is he can't hear his wife's voice (his joke, not mine).

Seriously guys, put the pipe down ...
its phillip likes this.

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #119 of 253 Old 05-29-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I do
carp does
luke kamp does

Really? My ears were fine. It's weird, when I'm in control of the volume it doesn't seem to affect me nearly as much as when I'm at someone else's place and they are going nuts. That makes no sense, but that has been my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

WTF are you guys doing. You are all young and this is serious shite. It will not get better.

My best friend was a Marine and thanks to the Corps and his own stupidity, he is deaf in one ear and only hears a few frequencies in the other. He's now 50 and has to lip read and guess what people are saying to him. The only bonus is he can't hear his wife's voice (his joke, not mine).

Seriously guys, put the pipe down ...

Of course you are right but what's weird is I don't have issues like I did when I started this thread. Maybe I'm having a false sense of security....

Honestly I don't crank it all the time, only for demo's. I guess the problem is I seem to be having more and more demo's.... speaking of which, I'm having another GTG this Saturday.

post #120 of 253 Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
For a few days now I have a mild ringing on my right ear. I normally do not listen loud but yesterday I decided to see a doctor and she saw lots of fluid inside both ears due to allergies. I got a steroid shot and put me on a decongestant and nasal spray. So far the ear keeps ringing. Maybe it is too soon for the fluid to completely go away. I hope that is what it really is.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page