Tinnitus scare last night makes me rethink this hobby. - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 253 Old 07-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Visited the Audiologist today. After many years of un-protected shooting at the range and hunting, working construction (when I was young), too many Rock Concerts to count and now my HT, I was getting concerned about my hearing. Good news is my hearing is very good (for my age) and all of the neglect and abuse has apparently gone unpunished.

I guess that at times is just comes down to genetics or luck or ??? In any case, this Thread has made me more conservative with the remote and that is a good thing for me and others who must endure my aural assaults disguised as movie nights. smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 253 Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Visited the Audiologist today. After many years of un-protected shooting at the range and hunting, working construction (when I was young), too many Rock Concerts to count and now my HT, I was getting concerned about my hearing. Good news is my hearing is very good (for my age) and all of the neglect and abuse has apparently gone unpunished.

I guess that at times is just comes down to genetics or luck or ??? In any case, this Thread has made me more conservative with the remote and that is a good thing for me and others who must endure my aural assaults disguised as movie nights. smile.gif

Your history sounds very similar to mine. I had huge systems with subwoofers in all my cars too. Used to complete with them in "Sound offs" where the Decibel levels would get to insane levels. None of that gave me Tinitus. It took Headphones cranked to Concert Levels to do that. The Hearing Doctor I went to said that cases of Tinitus are sky rocketing now with so many folks using ear phones and now the larger more Bassy full sized headphones. It was the latter that got me. Curse you Ultrasone DJ Pros! These are the bastards that took me down... I wish I'd never bought 'em. tongue.gif

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #183 of 253 Old 07-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I saw A Good Day to Die Hard with spl meter next to me. The audio stayed under 80db the entire time. The volume was at 53.
post #184 of 253 Old 07-06-2013, 06:53 AM

Liked: 29
My children are not allowed to have earbuds or any type of headphones because of hearing concerns. They get to enjoy our HT, but I make sure to keep the remote handy for the loud scenes.

One of my daughters likes showing off the Seaton subM HP to her friends. She tells them she wants them to feel the "boom." smile.gif

Though not ideal, I currently have our seating arranged behind the side surround speakers to minimize the direct sound impact. Our seating is such that viewers sit between the side surrounds and the rear surrounds as you can see by the pic below. This also allows for my kids to have more room for their Wii games.

post #185 of 253 Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroatl View Post

My children are not allowed to have earbuds or any type of headphones because of hearing concerns. They get to enjoy our HT, but I make sure to keep the remote handy for the loud scenes.

One of my daughters likes showing off the Seaton subM HP to her friends. She tells them she wants them to feel the "boom." smile.gif

Though not ideal, I currently have our seating arranged behind the side surround speakers to minimize the direct sound impact. Our seating is such that viewers sit between the side surrounds and the rear surrounds as you can see by the pic below. This also allows for my kids to have more room for their Wii games.

you have a very nice room by the way! I also do the same at home I don't listen loud ever because of the family and now because of my tinnitus. 40 to 53 on master volume is more than enough to enjoy and protect.
post #186 of 253 Old 07-06-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

I saw A Good Day to Die Hard with spl meter next to me. The audio stayed under 80db the entire time. The volume was at 53.
There ya go! So even in the loud scenes the volume was around 80dbs?

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #187 of 253 Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

There ya go! So even in the loud scenes the volume was around 80dbs?
Yes they were actually under 80.
post #188 of 253 Old 07-22-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I finally went to the audiologist today and the results were worse than I had hoped for. Overall I have moderate hearing loss and it dips quite precipitously at around 1.5khz and bottoms out at around 3khz before trending back up. At 3khz I'm listed as having moderately severe loss. All those years of drumming in a VERY loud 3 piece rock band as well as having a firecracker go off in the car not once but twice have definitely taken their toll. We discussed the possibility of needing a hearing aid sometime down the road and my main concern finding one that produces clean and accurate tones for music. The Doc said they have one's like that and surprisingly they aren't the most expensive.

post #189 of 253 Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sorry to hear that Torqdog. frown.gif

Obsessed is such an ugly word... We like to think of ourselves as extremely focused.
post #190 of 253 Old 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Liked: 28
Sorry to hear that Torqdog. What kind of tests did the audiologist run, and how were the dips measured?

I don't think I have any significant hearing loss, but this thread had gotten me curious. I don't ever listen very loudly, or do anything that is harmful to my hearing, but I sometimes get high frequency ringing in my ears, and as far as I can remember, it has always happened. It's not really set off by loud volumes, because it randomly happens when it's dead quiet too. Basically, I got a sensation where the background noise of the room just drops (like I'm losing all hearing) for a split second, following by faint high frequency ringing that lasts for maybe 30 seconds. Is this some form of tinnitus?

I ran some long sweeps with REW just to see if my ears have gaps at certain frequencies. I know that this won't give any reliable results, but I just wanted to get an idea. I tried headphones and different speaker systems, and overall, I feel like I'm pretty flat from 200Hz-8kHz. After 8kHz, it starts rolling off until 15kHz, where I can't hear a -10dbFS tone above the room noise. With headphones, I can make out a 17kHz tone, but it is very faint.

I'm 26, by the way, and some high frequency hearing loss is expected at my age. However, is the roll off starting at 8kHz pretty common for everybody? I know that the only way to get actual answers is to see an audiologist, but at this point, I'm don't think anything is wrong with me. I'm just curious if my experience is similar to what other people experience.
post #191 of 253 Old 07-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well I finally went to the audiologist today and the results were worse than I had hoped for. Overall I have moderate hearing loss and it dips quite precipitously at around 1.5khz and bottoms out at around 3khz before trending back up. At 3khz I'm listed as having moderately severe loss. All those years of drumming in a VERY loud 3 piece rock band as well as having a firecracker go off in the car not once but twice have definitely taken their toll. We discussed the possibility of needing a hearing aid sometime down the road and my main concern finding one that produces clean and accurate tones for music. The Doc said they have one's like that and surprisingly they aren't the most expensive.

Sorry to hear that. At what decibels are the loss and has it made the tinnitus worse. If you don't mind me asking how old are you?
post #192 of 253 Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderchkn View Post

Sorry to hear that Torqdog. What kind of tests did the audiologist run, and how were the dips measured?

I don't think I have any significant hearing loss, but this thread had gotten me curious. I don't ever listen very loudly, or do anything that is harmful to my hearing, but I sometimes get high frequency ringing in my ears, and as far as I can remember, it has always happened. It's not really set off by loud volumes, because it randomly happens when it's dead quiet too. Basically, I got a sensation where the background noise of the room just drops (like I'm losing all hearing) for a split second, following by faint high frequency ringing that lasts for maybe 30 seconds. Is this some form of tinnitus?

I ran some long sweeps with REW just to see if my ears have gaps at certain frequencies. I know that this won't give any reliable results, but I just wanted to get an idea. I tried headphones and different speaker systems, and overall, I feel like I'm pretty flat from 200Hz-8kHz. After 8kHz, it starts rolling off until 15kHz, where I can't hear a -10dbFS tone above the room noise. With headphones, I can make out a 17kHz tone, but it is very faint.

I'm 26, by the way, and some high frequency hearing loss is expected at my age. However, is the roll off starting at 8kHz pretty common for everybody? I know that the only way to get actual answers is to see an audiologist, but at this point, I'm don't think anything is wrong with me. I'm just curious if my experience is similar to what other people experience.

Everybody gets some sort of tinnitus from time to time usually for a few seconds and disappears. It becomes a problem for some people if its loud or constant. I would have my hearing checked if I were you especially since you are 26.
post #193 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not exactly sure of what kind of tests the gal performed but she did send me home with a sheet showing the dips and severity. I'll try scanning and posting later today when I have more time.

post #194 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM

Liked: 17
The sad fact is once your hearing is damaged, there is no medical repair, other than hearing aids. I am a 55 YO male. Between many concerts, loud cars sometimes with open headers, drag racing, loud music in small rooms, shooting firearms, and work related exposures, its amazing I can hear anything really. My hearing is fairly damaged, cannot hear much above 8khz, and that has to be really boosted. I can hear a 30 hz test tone but nothing lower. Left ear damage is worse than my right. I've been using hearing protection now for the last 8-10 years, earplugs or over the ear muffs. OTE muffs are the best. i don't start the lawn mower or skil saw without some form of hearing protection on. And I really use discipline when listening to music or HT movie these days.

Its not what I cannot hear that is the worst, its the constant humming, like tape hiss in your head that is the worst. And it varies in intensity depending on my short term exposures or whatever. Some times its worse than others.
So I am not preaching but I caution the younger guys, or anyone for that fact, to take great care of your hearing. Consider hearing protection when exposures are high, even for short term. You can buy inexpensive in-ear plugs in a bag of like 20-30 at walmart (the green ones work well imo, especially if you have larger ear canals) Also learn how to properly insert the plugs into your ear, it does make a big difference. If you use both in-ear plugs and over the ear muffs, this is your max protection. Some very loud sounds and vibrations can still be transmitted via the external ear flesh/cartilage when using just plugs.

Once its gone it really sucks, and the hiss does too.
post #195 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

The sad fact is once your hearing is damaged, there is no medical repair, other than hearing aids. I am a 55 YO male. Between many concerts, loud cars sometimes with open headers, drag racing, loud music in small rooms, shooting firearms, and work related exposures, its amazing I can hear anything really. My hearing is fairly damaged, cannot hear much above 8khz, and that has to be really boosted. I can hear a 30 hz test tone but nothing lower. Left ear damage is worse than my right. I've been using hearing protection now for the last 8-10 years, earplugs or over the ear muffs. OTE muffs are the best. i don't start the lawn mower or skil saw without some form of hearing protection on. And I really use discipline when listening to music or HT movie these days.

Its not what I cannot hear that is the worst, its the constant humming, like tape hiss in your head that is the worst. And it varies in intensity depending on my short term exposures or whatever. Some times its worse than others.
So I am not preaching but I caution the younger guys, or anyone for that fact, to take great care of your hearing. Consider hearing protection when exposures are high, even for short term. You can buy inexpensive in-ear plugs in a bag of like 20-30 at walmart (the green ones work well imo, especially if you have larger ear canals) Also learn how to properly insert the plugs into your ear, it does make a big difference. If you use both in-ear plugs and over the ear muffs, this is your max protection. Some very loud sounds and vibrations can still be transmitted via the external ear flesh/cartilage when using just plugs.

Once its gone it really sucks, and the hiss does too.

Tell me about it. I have the somatic tinnitus from hissing to buzzing.
post #196 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Hi All,

Just wanted to update all on my situation. The good news is that my Tinnitus has pretty much either gone or been resolved which is a huge relief as I was really getting down & it was driving me crazy. I initially had it very bad in the right ear only along with a blocked up & pressure changes sensation. The strange thing is that after it began to subside in the right ear, it began very mildly in the left one. Luckily, this seems to have also now subsided. The bad news is that both my ears now have a constant sensation of being blocked up as if one is getting constant & varying changes in pressure. I have tried a number of techniques to alleviate this but so far to no avail.

I hope this provides some insight & encouragement to all - I just pray that it does not come back. TBH, I am now super cautious & concerned at the use of headphones - both over ear & the in ear types which most folks have these days just in case using them will trigger the Tinnitus again - does anyone have any advice on this?

I just hope my Tinnitus really has resolved itself & is not just being dormant for a while only to resurface later.

Peace All,
Bazzy!
post #197 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzy View Post

Hi All,

Just wanted to update all on my situation. The good news is that my Tinnitus has pretty much either gone or been resolved which is a huge relief as I was really getting down & it was driving me crazy. I initially had it very bad in the right ear only along with a blocked up & pressure changes sensation. The strange thing is that after it began to subside in the right ear, it began very mildly in the left one. Luckily, this seems to have also now subsided. The bad news is that both my ears now have a constant sensation of being blocked up as if one is getting constant & varying changes in pressure. I have tried a number of techniques to alleviate this but so far to no avail.

I hope this provides some insight & encouragement to all - I just pray that it does not come back. TBH, I am now super cautious & concerned at the use of headphones - both over ear & the in ear types which most folks have these days just in case using them will trigger the Tinnitus again - does anyone have any advice on this?

I just hope my Tinnitus really has resolved itself & is not just being dormant for a while only to resurface later.

Peace All,
Bazzy!

First of all I am glad it went away. As far as head phones I hear it is very bad for you at loud volumes. In your case since you had the tinnitus I would not wear them ever again loud or not just to be safe. I hope you continue to improve.
post #198 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

This machine is a good one that I wanted to share here. I use it just because it is soothing and not because I have problems with sleep because of the tinnitus. I rather wake up and listen to rain with thunder than the hissing noise. The machine is excellent with different sounds to calm and give you rest.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sound-Sleep-Adaptive-Sound-Sleep-Therapy-Machine/16405852
post #199 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Quote:

This machine is a good one that I wanted to share here. I use it just because it is soothing and not because I have problems with sleep because of the tinnitus. I rather wake up and listen to rain with thunder than the hissing noise. The machine is excellent with different sounds to calm and give you rest.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sound-Sleep-Adaptive-Sound-Sleep-Therapy-Machine/16405852
I've used a sleep machine for 35 years. I started to drown out the noises of the city when I lived in New York, but now I just can't sleep when it's too quiet. The only better sleep is on board ship, when you have the sound of the sea and the rocking of the boat like a baby's cradle.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #200 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hmm, may have to pick one of those up - my tinnitus doesn't keep me awake, but I'm a very light sleeper these days, and I do find the sound of light rain or wind in the trees relaxing
post #201 of 253 Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Hmm, may have to pick one of those up - my tinnitus doesn't keep me awake, but I'm a very light sleeper these days, and I do find the sound of light rain or wind in the trees relaxing
After posts in this thread introduced me to the machine, I purchased the smaller portable version (due to being a light sleeper having to spend part of the week in a house with coworkers). I have to say, I've been quite happy with it. It's definitely one of the better rain simulators out there, and I've certainly slept better with the machine as it masks many of the sounds that were waking me up. BTW, the only way I could tell the difference between the machine and an actual rainstorm was that the real thing had better bass. Now if I could port the soundtracks to my sound system (and if they weren't filtered at a high frequency due to the device's inability to play that low), that would be awesome.

Max
post #202 of 253 Old 07-24-2013, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have somatic tinnitus?
post #203 of 253 Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Does anyone have somatic tinnitus?

Shoot, I didn't know what somatic tinnitus was til I just googled it. Nope, not me. And amazingly, as substantial as my hearing loss is, I have no problems sleeping without external low level background noise or sound.......yet.
post #204 of 253 Old 07-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

Shoot, I didn't know what somatic tinnitus was til I just googled it. Nope, not me. And amazingly, as substantial as my hearing loss is, I have no problems sleeping without external low level background noise or sound.......yet.

Thankfully I can go to sleep without needing background noise. I use the sound machine just because it is soothing. My T is just a hum and a hiss that is annoying at times because I can modulate it with movement. It is amazing how we adapt even if it nags at you from time to time.
When I first had the tinnitus I was a mess because it was all new to me. I was not eating, depressed, blamed my home theater hobby (even though I always listened at moderate levels) and I did not look forward to anything but sleep. Now I see it as something that happens in life and I must carry on. There are far more worse things in life than tinnitus.
post #205 of 253 Old 07-24-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear that. At what decibels are the loss and has it made the tinnitus worse. If you don't mind me asking how old are you?
I'll be 60 in December. I'm not sure what you are trying to ask with the "At what decibels are the loss and has it made the tinnitus worse." question. Do you mean at what frequencies?

post #206 of 253 Old 07-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll be 60 in December. I'm not sure what you are trying to ask with the "At what decibels are the loss and has it made the tinnitus worse." question. Do you mean at what frequencies?
I apologize. I mean for example at 4khz I'm at 40db. Anything above 20db is normal hearing.
post #207 of 253 Old 07-24-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I apologize. I mean for example at 4khz I'm at 40db. Anything above 20db is normal hearing.
No need to apologize.......just unsure what you were asking. At 3khz I'm at 65db which is classified as moderately severe. From there it starts climbing but only gets to 30db at 8khz. The low frequencies are fine (5 to 10db) until around 1.5khz where it plummets. Funny thing is that I don't feel my hearing is as bad as the test implicated. I can still hear sine wave test tones up to 12khz and listening to music CDs I've cherished for years, I don't notice much of a change from 25 years ago. I mentioned this to the Doc and she said the brain adjusts over time.

post #208 of 253 Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No need to apologize.......just unsure what you were asking. At 3khz I'm at 65db which is classified as moderately severe. From there it starts climbing but only gets to 30db at 8khz. The low frequencies are fine (5 to 10db) until around 1.5khz where it plummets. Funny thing is that I don't feel my hearing is as bad as the test implicated. I can still hear sine wave test tones up to 12khz and listening to music CDs I've cherished for years, I don't notice much of a change from 25 years ago. I mentioned this to the Doc and she said the brain adjusts over time.

Yes 60db is pretty significant. On mine I have the drop at 6hkz at 40db and then at 8hkz it goes up to 25db or so. The lows are 10db and above. I guess with tinnitus it does not matter where the damage is.
post #209 of 253 Old 07-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

How come some people need a fan or machine to go to sleep? Is it because the tinnitus is too loud? If you need a fan or machine to sleep is the tinnitus considered moderate or severe?
post #210 of 253 Old 07-26-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How come some people need a fan or machine to go to sleep? Is it because the tinnitus is too loud? If you need a fan or machine to sleep is the tinnitus considered moderate or severe?
I actually most nights need the TV on set to some channel like NatGeo or HGTV, movies are too stimulating. I've been doing this for as long as I can remember. I set the sleep timer for 40 minutes and rarely am awake that long. If I don't have my "visual valium", I toss and turn allot.

My wife snagged the sleep machine the moment it showed up and it sits on her side of the bed. It does help make for a full night of shut eye. Very soothing. I think some folks actually use the sleep machine to help drown out their tinnitus and are thus able to sleep better.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page