post #241 of 253 Old 08-12-2013, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Doesn't sound like a tinnitus related occurrence.

2 possibilities:
A) it's occasionally possible to have one ear in a null at certain frequencies. Easiest way to see if that's it is to move your head around.
B) even more common is to get one ear's pressure unequalized, which will leave it sounding 'off' till it 'pops'. I get that every once in a while, just from swallowing or occasionally while turning my head. A couple of deep yawns and I'm good.

Max

I see. I was wondering if it was since some people with hearing loss mention they cannot hear above or below a certain frequency and therefore it is useless investing more in equipment and did not know if it was because of my mild loss in the high frequencies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 253 Old 08-13-2013, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

How come some people say their tinnitus gets louder when they are around a lot of noise? I think I noticed the same thing the other day. We had family over and my tinnitus was kinda loud and when they left it settled after awhile.
post #243 of 253 Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 550
^^^ In my case, if I listen to loud, bass heavy music for a couple hours, mine goes away for a few hours ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #244 of 253 Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

How come some people say their tinnitus gets louder when they are around a lot of noise? I think I noticed the same thing the other day. We had family over and my tinnitus was kinda loud and when they left it settled after awhile.

Actually I'm the opposite. If there is noise present my tinnitus seems to be less noticed to the point that I am completely unaware of it's presence. It's most noticable in a very quiet environment like sitting in my office talking to y'all.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #245 of 253 Old 08-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Actually I'm the opposite. If there is noise present my tinnitus seems to be less noticed to the point that I am completely unaware of it's presence. It's most noticable in a very quiet environment like sitting in my office talking to y'all.
I know what you mean. In a quiet room talking I hear it but with some noise I hear it some.
post #246 of 253 Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Yet I don't use a fan to sleep I just listen to it and drift off.
post #247 of 253 Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My first post about this was after reading about so many other's experiences. With all that talk I was wondering how many were actually doing something about it. Since then we had a gathering of couples in their sixties and seventies. I was surprised to find out all three males that I have known for a long time have tinnitus. So evidently it doesn't get talked about much. So don't feel alone.

My take on some of these issues:

I've seen a couple products on TV. One in particular (forgot the name) makes a splash for a while about once a year. They specifically mention tinnitus. Tried it about 8 years ago. Cream I think, or maybe drops. Didn't do a think for my tinnitus but I lost weight in the wallet.

My understanding of tinnitus is that it's best described as a ringing in the ears, relatively high pitched, constant and forever. Fortunately the brain can do a good job helping you to ignore it. You can't tell yourself to ignore it, it just happens. Personally I sometimes find myself aware of the ringing all of a sudden and realize that I hadn't been aware of it for quite awhile. The quieter it is the easier it is to be aware of it. If you're hearing multiple kinds of sounds, you might have something other than tinnitus. Also issues with not hearing bass notes is probably not related to tinnitus.

I should clear up something I mentioned in an earlier post. I mentioned my hobby, AV, and the 8-12khz range for my tinnitus. The hobby reference was about knowing what frequency it was, not the actual cause. For some our hobby might be the cause but in my case I think it was work related.

I have no medical background whatsoever. But I did sleep at........ I mean I've made myself aware of the condition.
To give you a relative rating of the sound, I'm in a quite room. The computer fan is about 5-10db above ambient. I would say my tinnitus is about 15-25db above ambient. If I was playing music I wouldn't be aware of it. Notice I didn't say it wasn't there, just that it would be masked by the music.

Someone mentioned almost liking the sound sometimes. I find nothing to like about a high pitched, constant, one note drone. But to each their own.

Loud noise in and of itself can cause ringing in your ears. Fortunately after the noise subsides the ringing eventually goes away. That's a case of the hairs in your ears folding over temporarily and then coming back to normal. I suppose if that happens a lot the ringing might not go away.

In any case this is somebody talking in a hobby forum about a serious hearing issue.

SEE A PRO.

Patrick
post #248 of 253 Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Collins View Post

My first post about this was after reading about so many other's experiences. With all that talk I was wondering how many were actually doing something about it. Since then we had a gathering of couples in their sixties and seventies. I was surprised to find out all three males that I have known for a long time have tinnitus. So evidently it doesn't get talked about much. So don't feel alone.

My take on some of these issues:

I've seen a couple products on TV. One in particular (forgot the name) makes a splash for a while about once a year. They specifically mention tinnitus. Tried it about 8 years ago. Cream I think, or maybe drops. Didn't do a think for my tinnitus but I lost weight in the wallet.

My understanding of tinnitus is that it's best described as a ringing in the ears, relatively high pitched, constant and forever. Fortunately the brain can do a good job helping you to ignore it. You can't tell yourself to ignore it, it just happens. Personally I sometimes find myself aware of the ringing all of a sudden and realize that I hadn't been aware of it for quite awhile. The quieter it is the easier it is to be aware of it. If you're hearing multiple kinds of sounds, you might have something other than tinnitus. Also issues with not hearing bass notes is probably not related to tinnitus.

I should clear up something I mentioned in an earlier post. I mentioned my hobby, AV, and the 8-12khz range for my tinnitus. The hobby reference was about knowing what frequency it was, not the actual cause. For some our hobby might be the cause but in my case I think it was work related.

I have no medical background whatsoever. But I did sleep at........ I mean I've made myself aware of the condition.
To give you a relative rating of the sound, I'm in a quite room. The computer fan is about 5-10db above ambient. I would say my tinnitus is about 15-25db above ambient. If I was playing music I wouldn't be aware of it. Notice I didn't say it wasn't there, just that it would be masked by the music.

Someone mentioned almost liking the sound sometimes. I find nothing to like about a high pitched, constant, one note drone. But to each their own.

Loud noise in and of itself can cause ringing in your ears. Fortunately after the noise subsides the ringing eventually goes away. That's a case of the hairs in your ears folding over temporarily and then coming back to normal. I suppose if that happens a lot the ringing might not go away.

In any case this is somebody talking in a hobby forum about a serious hearing issue.

SEE A PRO.

I did see an ENT and had MRI and came back normal. The hearing test showed mild loss on high frequencies so that may be the case for me. I know the tonal ringing is the main one most people have but in my case its hard to describe. It goes from a hiss to a blown speaker almost kinda sound. I am like you with a fan in a room I hear it but with say music I don't hear it. IMO I think that if someone needs a fan in a room to sleep that tells me they hear it all the time unless they are in a really loud room. With Tinnitus you can have one tone or multiple sounds that is considered "head noise".
I once mentioned I kinda like the sounds because in my case it changes and really what choice do WE have but hear it when it is quiet or semi quiet.
post #249 of 253 Old 11-21-2013, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Just a heads up for folks here, Amazon's dropped the price on the full size Ecotones Sound+Sleep from the usual $9x+ to $71.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002SMJQT4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

No idea how long the price drop will last as I haven't seen it for under $90 since I learned about it on this thread. I have the portable travel model, which is great. The travel version doesn't get very loud, but enough to do the job when it's beside the bed. I love sleeping while it's raining and the rainstorm setting on this is one of the most realistic I'v heard. The travel versions ability to run off micro USB or even batteries is a plus for travelers.

A couple of times when I've woken up, I didn't realize it was actually raining till I turned the machine off and the noise continued. I'm a very light sleeper so I need some kind of background white noise (usually a fan or a/c) on, otherwise every little sound will wake me up.

These puppies do the trick masking more noise than a fan does due to the variation in the sound when set to the highest Effects level (eg. the lowest level for the rain setting is just rain, higher settings include changes in the intensity of the rain, wind buffeting and even the rumble of thunder). Sort of accustomizes my sleeping ears to random noises, though some noises will still wake me up.

Max
post #250 of 253 Old 11-21-2013, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Just a heads up for folks here, Amazon's dropped the price on the full size Ecotones Sound+Sleep from the usual $9x+ to $71.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002SMJQT4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_image_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

No idea how long the price drop will last as I haven't seen it for under $90 since I learned about it on this thread. I have the portable travel model, which is great. The travel version doesn't get very loud, but enough to do the job when it's beside the bed. I love sleeping while it's raining and the rainstorm setting on this is one of the most realistic I'v heard. The travel versions ability to run off micro USB or even batteries is a plus for travelers.

A couple of times when I've woken up, I didn't realize it was actually raining till I turned the machine off and the noise continued. I'm a very light sleeper so I need some kind of background white noise (usually a fan or a/c) on, otherwise every little sound will wake me up.

These puppies do the trick masking more noise than a fan does due to the variation in the sound when set to the highest Effects level (eg. the lowest level for the rain setting is just rain, higher settings include changes in the intensity of the rain, wind buffeting and even the rumble of thunder). Sort of accustomizes my sleeping ears to random noises, though some noises will still wake me up.

Max

Yes indeed that is a nice machine. In fact probably one of the best out there. I agree the rain mode is soothing and like you I have woken up thinking it was really raining outside. It is really that realistic.
I also enjoy the fireplace mode from time to time but I mainly keep it on rain mode.

Thanks for sharing!

Ariel
post #251 of 253 Old 11-22-2013, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I made a sound awhile ago that sort of served the same purpose, it's a 75 minute sound called White Noise Sculpture, you can stream or download it here. It is just a white noise which continuously but gradually changes and never repeats itself. I made it from a bunch of different white noise generators and modulators from various sources. What is interesting to me is even though all the sound is one hundred percent electronically generated, many passages end up sounding like real world noises such as distant traffic, ocean surf, rainfall, industrial machinery, wind blowing through trees, radio static, etc. There is something basic and elemental about white noise that a lot of people find relaxing, maybe it is primal somehow, but I don't know what the explanation is.
post #252 of 253 Old 11-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

It is interesting how we look for external noise like machines but yet we can't tolerate our own tinnitus.
Makes no sense.
post #253 of 253 Old 11-24-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

It is interesting how we look for external noise like machines but yet we can't tolerate our own tinnitus.
Makes no sense.

Distraction and focus is why it works ... perfectly sense

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page