New Monoprice floor-standing subwoofers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Monoprice appears to have some new products... powered floor-standing subwoofers (as well as wireless 2.1 and 5.1 speaker sets).

Here are the new subwoofers:

8 Inch 60-Watt Powered Subwoofer - Black
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

12 Inch 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer - Black

Expectations? The Tech Chat folks didn't even realize they were listed yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailinator View Post

Expectations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice View Post

The MSUB-A122 is housed in an attractive black wood cabinet that measures 17" x 17.25" x 17.5" (H x W x D) and weighs about 9 lbs.

From a 12" subwoofer that weighs all of 9lbs., my expectations would be pretty low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

From a 12" subwoofer that weighs all of 9lbs.? Not a lot.

I sure hope that is a misprint...
post #4 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Hmmm...it probably is. The dimensions of the 8" sub are smaller, but it weighs the same 9lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice View Post

The MSUB-A082 is housed in an attractive black wood cabinet that measures 13.75" x 11.75" x 11.75" (H x W x D) and weighs about 9 lbs.

One of those HAS to be wrong!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
The 12" goes down to 30 hz, hardly good enough for serious HT.

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #6 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

In this case you get what you pay for
post #7 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

My guess is the people who are looking to drop $58-82 for a subwoofer are not really looking for serious HT.....

Would love to see Ricci test the 12" model

Instead of buying one good sub, you could by 10 of these babies.....
Vauktu likes this.
post #8 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM

Liked: 12
It's only $81? How can the 12" sub only weigh 9 lbs & be $81? Seems like a misprint.
post #9 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
9 lbs? Cardboard enclosure? Cardboard driver? Ummm.....cardboard amp????

post #10 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 105
I confirmed with Monoprice Tech Support that the 12" sub does in fact tip the scales at a whopping 9lbs.

Bend with your knees.
Vauktu likes this.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #11 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 60
My coffee cup weighs more than that.

Could it be the driver weighs at 9 lbs ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

I confirmed with Monoprice Tech Support that the 12" sub does in fact tip the scales at a whopping 9lbs.

Bend with your knees.

post #12 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

My coffee cup weighs more than that.

Could it be the driver weighs at 9 lbs ???

I asked the tech to confirm the weight and told him that inquiring minds on AVS Forum wanted to know. He said it was definitely 9lbs.

Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
post #13 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I guess its possible. 1/8" thick wood or lightweight plastic and a driver with a magnet that would fit on the back of a pair of fake earings.

post #14 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 60
maybe it only has a Passive radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

I guess its possible. 1/8" thick wood or lightweight plastic and a driver with a magnet that would fit on the back of a pair of fake earings.

post #15 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
12" tin can with a string?

Dual Submersive HP's

New HT Room -  

post #16 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I wonder how it will perform compared to a Bose Acoustimass module?
post #17 of 113 Old 08-08-2011, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Here it is. I think it weighs more than 9 lbs :-) Actually looks OK.

http://www.weit-audio.com/details.asp?id=518

Gene

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #18 of 113 Old 08-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Liked: 13
Hi there posters!

Just to chime in, these are still fairly new items, so the 9lbs was a typo in our system. The actual weight of the 12'' is about 16Kg(35.27lbs). I hope that clears it for you guys. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try my best to get more information. Thanks!

John Lingo
Monoprice.com
Tech Support
post #19 of 113 Old 08-24-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
In the description of the 12", it says it's an 8". This must be how they kept the weight down. They used some sort of matter phase shifting.

Me thinks monoprice needs a proof reader.

Randy
post #20 of 113 Old 08-24-2011, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoprice_01 View Post

Hi there posters!

Just to chime in, these are still fairly new items, so the 9lbs was a typo in our system. The actual weight of the 12'' is about 16Kg(35.27lbs). I hope that clears it for you guys. Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try my best to get more information. Thanks!

John Lingo
Monoprice.com
Tech Support

Hey John,

I don't really understand why Monoprice is branching into other products that may cloud the monoprice brand's quality allure. Monoprice is currently associated with a quality wire/interconnect product at a bare basement price! Your company enjoys a good reputation among most of our enthusiast community. As soon as you start introducing presumably subpar (even if dirt cheap) audio equipment your brand recognition will get drug through the mud a bit. The couple dollars here or there you make selling a cheap subwoofer is not worth tarnishing your company's brand in my opinion. Even if these subs are reasonably good quality considering the rock bottom price, they won't compete with many other, even low end, retail or Internet Direct vendors. I do understand $80 for a 12 inch sub is almost unheard of, but in reality how many traditional 12" subs are you going to be able to best for the money...If the answer is very few -- then your shop should quit venturing down this road. It doesn't matter if your sub is half price of all the other 12 subs in the entire market. Even if the price is cheaper than what you could buy say a Infinity, JBL, or Klipshe sub by half, if it doesn't sound the same or better than the options people know then you are just tarnishing your brand....People unfamiliar with monoprice may then believe errantly that monoprice only sells "junk." I just don't see what you have to gain by selling an $80 12" subwoofer.

I issue this caution as an enthusiast monoprice customer. I've used you guys for years and actually have an order on the way right now. I've been happy with the product sold on every occassion save one where I got a bad HDMI cable, but your customer support was awesome and a new cable was immediately shipped out free of charge. People have finally come to realize that the monoprice cables are great cables at a fantastic price and I just hate to see the company tarnish its name with weak products -- even if they are offered at cheap prices.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #21 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Hey John,

I don't really understand why Monoprice is branching into other products that may cloud the monoprice brand's quality allure. Monoprice is currently associated with a quality wire/interconnect product at a bare basement price! Your company enjoys a good reputation among most of our enthusiast community. As soon as you start introducing presumably subpar (even if dirt cheap) audio equipment your brand recognition will get drug through the mud a bit. The couple dollars here or there you make selling a cheap subwoofer is not worth tarnishing your company's brand in my opinion. Even if these subs are reasonably good quality considering the rock bottom price, they won't compete with many other, even low end, retail or Internet Direct vendors. I do understand $80 for a 12 inch sub is almost unheard of, but in reality how many traditional 12" subs are you going to be able to best for the money...If the answer is very few -- then your shop should quit venturing down this road. It doesn't matter if your sub is half price of all the other 12 subs in the entire market. Even if the price is cheaper than what you could buy say a Infinity, JBL, or Klipshe sub by half, if it doesn't sound the same or better than the options people know then you are just tarnishing your brand....People unfamiliar with monoprice may then believe errantly that monoprice only sells "junk." I just don't see what you have to gain by selling an $80 12" subwoofer.

I issue this caution as an enthusiast monoprice customer. I've used you guys for years and actually have an order on the way right now. I've been happy with the product sold on every occassion save one where I got a bad HDMI cable, but your customer support was awesome and a new cable was immediately shipped out free of charge. People have finally come to realize that the monoprice cables are great cables at a fantastic price and I just hate to see the company tarnish its name with weak products -- even if they are offered at cheap prices.

I think it's great they're offering these. The more options, the better. Maybe these are a great bargain and I would guess there's a pretty decent market for an OK sub at a rock bottom price. Until someone actually listens to them, we have no idea how good or bad they are.
likemovies likes this.
post #22 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
How much do you think the sub in a modest HTIB would cost if sold separately? And, how often do we see posts from someone who is on a really tight budget? This sub will survive or fail based on providing appropriate value for its price. How high is the bar for $85 subs?
post #23 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't think you guys are understanding my point.

monoprice is associated (for the most part) with a very high quality product at an unbeatably low price.

If monoprice starts introducing cheaper audio products that don't even sound as good as other tradionally known "cheap" products on the market that tarnishes their brand recognition.

There is a reason VOIT shoes at wal-mart have a bad reputation even though they only cost $20. It doesn't matter that there are no other shoes that cost a mere $20, everybody who sees a VOIT shoe immediately thinks that they are junk. Why? Because the air pockets are made of plastic, the soles are made of hard rubber, they have no arch support and are full of many compromises. Ultimately they are terribly uncomfortable and not worth the price - even for $20. If I saw a VOIT product in another product category after knowing how incredibly crappy their shoes are -- I'd not hold the slightest interest. Why does monoprice want to risk dilluting their brand in this way?

In my opinion do it right or don't do it.

They should hire Dr. HSU to create a sub under the monoprice monkier and sell it at an appropriate discount, minus a bit of the flash, or warranty, or cosmetics.

Then they'd STILL MAKE A SUPERIOR PRODUCT to other typically known comparably priced similar items on the market, so that somebody who had a sony sub, or a onkyo HTIB sub, or a AIWA sub could still experience a noteworthy upgrade at a reduced cost.

It seems with an $80 12 inch subwoofer they are just trying to create a new price category with no competition but the product will likely be inferior to every other 12" subwoofer product on the market. (I hope I'm wrong here.)

Having just completed a marketing class for my MBA - this subwoofer sale plan goes against everything we learned. If they want to enter another arena and take on the risks I'm pointing out - typically they should attempt to do so under a different brand name. So far monoprice has been associated with cheap, but not junk. Establishing a new product line name/family, even break out company would allow the company to not tarnish their established and respected image, but still allow them to enter this market.

post #24 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Strange that some would presume to tell a sucessful company their choices are wrong ..

"monoprice is associated (for the most part) with a very high quality product at an unbeatably low price.

If monoprice starts introducing cheaper audio products that don't even sound as good as other tradionally known "cheap" products on the market that tarnishes their brand recognition."

How does one know the new products are not good .. ??

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #25 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I don't think you guys are understanding my point.

monoprice is associated (for the most part) with a very high quality product at an unbeatably low price.

If monoprice starts introducing cheaper audio products that don't even sound as good as other tradionally known "cheap" products on the market that tarnishes their brand recognition.

There is a reason VOIT shoes at wal-mart have a bad reputation even though they only cost $20. It doesn't matter that there are no other shoes that cost a mere $20, everybody who sees a VOIT shoe immediately thinks that they are junk. Why? Because the air pockets are made of plastic, the soles are made of hard rubber, they have no arch support and are full of many compromises. Ultimately they are terribly uncomfortable and not worth the price - even for $20. If I saw a VOIT product in another product category after knowing how incredibly crappy their shoes are -- I'd not hold the slightest interest. Why does monoprice want to risk dilluting their brand in this way?

In my opinion do it right or don't do it.

They should hire Dr. HSU to create a sub under the monoprice monkier and sell it at an appropriate discount, minus a bit of the flash, or warranty, or cosmetics.

Then they'd STILL MAKE A SUPERIOR PRODUCT to other typically known comparably priced similar items on the market, so that somebody who had a sony sub, or a onkyo HTIB sub, or a AIWA sub could still experience a noteworthy upgrade at a reduced cost.

It seems with an $80 12 inch subwoofer they are just trying to create a new price category with no competition but the product will likely be inferior to every other 12" subwoofer product on the market. (I hope I'm wrong here.)

Having just completed a marketing class for my MBA - this subwoofer sale plan goes against everything we learned. If they want to enter another arena and take on the risks I'm pointing out - typically they should attempt to do so under a different brand name. So far monoprice has been associated with cheap, but not junk. Establishing a new product line name/family, even break out company would allow the company to not tarnish their established and respected image, but still allow them to enter this market.

Dude, we so understand your point. Even if the subs don't fare well, Monoprice isn't going to take a big hit. And again, how high is the bar for $85 subwoofers?
likemovies likes this.
post #26 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Interesting. My dayton sub100's on my pc setup need replaced (not upgradeitis more like poor subs took to much of a poundingitis).. 9 pounds will definitely keep shipping low heh.

What will become - Is my Will
post #27 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrheretic View Post

Interesting. My dayton sub100's on my pc setup need replaced (not upgradeitis more like poor subs took to much of a poundingitis).. 9 pounds will definitely keep shipping low heh.

In post #18 of this thread, the rep from Monoprice says the sub weighs 35 pounds.
post #28 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems to me that Monoprice is simply branching out a bit with some new products-not sure what the issue is here. They've provided quality stuff for us over the years so until lousy reviews start coming in for the new products, I think it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

post #29 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

It seems to me that Monoprice is simply branching out a bit with some new products-not sure what the issue is here. They've provided quality stuff for us over the years so until lousy reviews start coming in for the new products, I think it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...t=1#largeimage

Exactly .. they do seem to know what they are doing .. in fact, I decided to order one just to test it .. however, it looks like they are out of stock ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #30 of 113 Old 08-25-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I've not heard the subs, so I can't really attest to their quality. So I'll wait for some reviews like everybody else, but I just can't fathom that they can be that impressive for so low a cost?!?!?

I know the 5.1 speaker set they have for $80 has a speaker that looks EXACTLY like some cheap indoor outdoor "dual" speakers I bought for my former boat. Same mounting bracket, same grill, same exact look with a different logo on the grill. Those dual speakers are junk and not even worth using as a height surround or rear surround speaker on a budget setup. If the monoprice speaker is a rebranded version of that dual stay far far away.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page