The "I'll demo my subwoofer for other enthusiasts" thread. - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #451 of 478 Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Might as well... Still probably a month or two out from actually getting the 24's up and running though. Gotta figure out what I'm going to do with my box situation. Still need to get a damn amp too...

Ugh...

What city? Austin, when you coming back to the states for a visit?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 478 Old 12-02-2014, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtighe23 View Post
Looking for a demo. Not sure if this is allowed. I'm interested in the outlaw lfm-1 plus, currently on sale $499 shipped. Also any similar powered rhythmic, SVS or klipsch

Houston, Texas

You'll have better luck pm'ing the guys in your area in case they don't follow the thread but there are a few in Texas you can reach out to that have volunteered to demo their room!

Texas

Austin - (2) JTR Orbit Shifters (4000 watts each) - Kevin H

Austin - (2) 15" Dayton Titanic LLT 14Hz 13cu-ft, EP4000, MiniDSP - smprather

Austin - (2) Rythmik FV15HP - JT78681

Corpus Christi - HSU VTF-15H - matrixj3

Dallas - CHT18.2 / Dayton SA1000 - D.T.MIKE

Dallas - Danley DTS-10 - Flyng_fool

Dallas - HSU VTF2.3 - scottfox

Houston - (2) SVS PB13 Ultra - boarder1995

Houston - Rythmik F15HP-SE - MarianMan

San Antonio - (2) SVS SB13+ - ivanhoek

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #453 of 478 Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newc33 View Post
Peru Illinois.

I don't really have any audio enthusiast friends so it would be nice to have someone over for a demo and even to help me out with improvements. It would really be cool if I found someone local!

Anyway my gear is in my signature

Nice gear. I like those Rythmic subs!

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #454 of 478 Old 12-02-2014, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlewie View Post
This thread has been around for over 4 years and I just clicked on it for the first time. Good idea Archaea. I wonder if other Iowa guys know about it? Seems unlikely since there is only one on the list so far.

I'll add mine here:
Marion, Iowa - (4) Dayton HO 18" / (2) Crown XLS2500 and (4) Dayton Ultimax 15" / (2) Crown XLS2000 - kjlewie

Thank you for joining dlbeck in representing IA.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #455 of 478 Old 12-02-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First post is completely updated. Sorry for the long delay. It's been a couple months since I updated it. I'm on this forum all the time - just had some time tonight to get it updated.

Still need someone to step up from:

Alaska
Arkansas
Connecticut
Hawaii (@rhed - where you at with your quad JTR S2?)
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
West Virginia

At which point we will have blanketed the US with subwoofer demo opportunities. Not quite the world - there's a lot left to go there

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #456 of 478 Old 12-02-2014, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post
Arch....you have any ideas of a future subwoofer shoot-out?
I've hosted twice, and been to a half dozen other subwoofer meets in the last three years. I've pretty much heard all there is to offer in the subwoofer arena, and I love the gear, but I'm not easily surprised at this point. I've pretty much decided what I like at this point and know generally speaking what a given offering will be capable of based on lots of past experiences --- well until popalock builds his space with 32 18's when he comes back to the US.

Long and short - personally two 18" ported subs are an excellent choice with great headroom and excellent performance for most rooms. I found they fit my bill. A slight upgrade is my current 8 sealed 18"s. The value in upgrading from two ported 18"s was slight and not likely worth the cost - but more than anything else in this hobby I enjoy subwoofers, so it was a decision made easier based on my enthusiasm for subwoofers.

I learned a ton and enjoyed these g2g events a heck of a lot. While I may not host any subwoofer meets in the near term I'd encourage you to do it - if you hold interest. My borderline subwoofer obsession all started in 2011 when I decided to host my own subwoofer meet because nobody would respond back to me via PM when I asked to demo their subwoofer system. I had heard Luke Kamps HSU VTF-15H and it was so much better than anything I'd heard in home audio I really wanted to see how deep the rabbit hole went and how much better a home theater sub could possibly be than what I had experienced. I decided that if people weren't willing to let a stranger come over and hear their gear, then I was going to try to host a meet and get them to come to me! That proved an easier course in garnering interest and we had some cool gear show up for the 2011 meet.

I'd encourage you to consider doing the same. If you setup a g2g invite in the local area theater meet thread with a couple months notice, you'll almost surely garner some interest and get to host a meet in your own room and hear several different products. You'll get to enjoy the hobby with others who appreciate it as much as you do.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-area-home-theater-meets/

I recently hosted an autoroom EQ AVR processor comparison on Nov 8th. Audyssey, Trinnov, ARC, YPAO, MCACC, AccuEQ, Dirac, That was fun, but really complicated to setup. Subwoofer meets by comparison are exceptionally easy to setup and a great first meet to host. My next g2g will probably be a projector comparison. I'd still like to do a headphone comparison g2g, but haven't found too many local enthusiasts that excited about headphones. The problem with the subwoofer g2g's at a certain point is when you get good enough gear you can start destroying your house when you showcase it. Several of my friends in KC have gear that can hit 130, maybe even 140dB levels of output. That destroys things, electronics, projectors, drywall, etc. Any of several systems in KC among my enthusiasts friends are completely acceptable and any minor differences in performance capability is negligible. And once you've experienced 8 eighteens, or a couple of gjallarhorns - etc, or a pair of JTR Orbit Shifters in your own cinema on a day in and day out basis - then it's gets a bit harder to get too excited about a few different 12" subwoofers in a g2g roundup again.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #457 of 478 Old 12-02-2014, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oklahoma needs to step up! I'd love to hear what some of the big league systems sound like in person. I don't think anyone wants a demo of my Mirage S12
post #458 of 478 Old 12-02-2014, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Throw your info up here 88Formula. Everybody starts somewhere, and that mirage isn't a bad piece of kit. Not everyone wants dual 18s or more. I think any subwoofer system that an owner enjoys and is willing to demo to others should make the list. It'd be a pretty boring/useless list if it was only 3 states and eight 18" as a minimum.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #459 of 478 Old 12-03-2014, 02:50 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What city am I adding you to in NC? Thanks for offering up your place for demos! I want to make it out there sometime too.
Asheville brotha

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #460 of 478 Old 12-03-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Asheville brotha
Hmmm, for the last two weeks of December I'll be in Greer SC about an hour away from you...
post #461 of 478 Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

dp

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Last edited by beastaudio; 12-03-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: oops
post #462 of 478 Old 12-03-2014, 05:40 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Hmmm, for the last two weeks of December I'll be in Greer SC about an hour away from you...
easy trip up the hill my man! I am happy to host for a day/evening if you want to make the short drive!

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #463 of 478 Old 12-03-2014, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I've hosted twice, and been to a half dozen other subwoofer meets in the last three years. I've pretty much heard all there is to offer in the subwoofer arena, and I love the gear, but I'm not easily surprised at this point. I've pretty much decided what I like at this point and know generally speaking what a given offering will be capable of based on lots of past experiences --- well until popalock builds his space with 32 18's when he comes back to the US.

Long and short - personally two 18" ported subs are an excellent choice with great headroom and excellent performance for most rooms. I found they fit my bill. A slight upgrade is my current 8 sealed 18"s. The value in upgrading from two ported 18"s was slight and not likely worth the cost - but more than anything else in this hobby I enjoy subwoofers, so it was a decision made easier based on my enthusiasm for subwoofers.

I learned a ton and enjoyed these g2g events a heck of a lot. While I may not host any subwoofer meets in the near term I'd encourage you to do it - if you hold interest. My borderline subwoofer obsession all started in 2011 when I decided to host my own subwoofer meet because nobody would respond back to me via PM when I asked to demo their subwoofer system. I had heard Luke Kamps HSU VTF-15H and it was so much better than anything I'd heard in home audio I really wanted to see how deep the rabbit hole went and how much better a home theater sub could possibly be than what I had experienced. I decided that if people weren't willing to let a stranger come over and hear their gear, then I was going to try to host a meet and get them to come to me! That proved an easier course in garnering interest and we had some cool gear show up for the 2011 meet.

I'd encourage you to consider doing the same. If you setup a g2g invite in the local area theater meet thread with a couple months notice, you'll almost surely garner some interest and get to host a meet in your own room and hear several different products. You'll get to enjoy the hobby with others who appreciate it as much as you do.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-area-home-theater-meets/

I recently hosted an autoroom EQ AVR processor comparison on Nov 8th. Audyssey, Trinnov, ARC, YPAO, MCACC, AccuEQ, Dirac, That was fun, but really complicated to setup. Subwoofer meets by comparison are exceptionally easy to setup and a great first meet to host. My next g2g will probably be a projector comparison. I'd still like to do a headphone comparison g2g, but haven't found too many local enthusiasts that excited about headphones. The problem with the subwoofer g2g's at a certain point is when you get good enough gear you can start destroying your house when you showcase it. Several of my friends in KC have gear that can hit 130, maybe even 140dB levels of output. That destroys things, electronics, projectors, drywall, etc. Any of several systems in KC among my enthusiasts friends are completely acceptable and any minor differences in performance capability is negligible. And once you've experienced 8 eighteens, or a couple of gjallarhorns - etc, or a pair of JTR Orbit Shifters in your own cinema on a day in and day out basis - then it's gets a bit harder to get too excited about a few different 12" subwoofers in a g2g roundup again.
Thanks for the information Arch....appreciate it. I can see why a subwoofer shootout wouldn't be beneficial for you since you've attended so many and heard so many different subs. 8 sealed 18's..that must be impressive.

Nabs17
post #464 of 478 Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
What city? Austin, when you coming back to the states for a visit?
Doha, Qatar.

Not sure when I will be back stateside. Wifey wants to travel the world while we are on this part of the pond. So, looks like it will be around July 2016 or so.
post #465 of 478 Old 12-06-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
First post is completely updated. Sorry for the long delay. It's been a couple months since I updated it. I'm on this forum all the time - just had some time tonight to get it updated.

Still need someone to step up from:

Alaska
Arkansas
Connecticut
Hawaii (@rhed - where you at with your quad JTR S2?)
Indiana
Maine
Maryland
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Rhode Island
West Virginia

At which point we will have blanketed the US with subwoofer demo opportunities. Not quite the world - there's a lot left to go there
Honolulu, Hawaii
If anyone comes to visit to Hawaii on vacation. Hit me up.. I'll be glad to spin up some demo of some JTR gear.
post #466 of 478 Old 12-06-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Honolulu, Hawaii
If anyone comes to visit to Hawaii on vacation. Hit me up.. I'll be glad to spin up some demo of some JTR gear.
Got a spare bedroom?
post #467 of 478 Old 12-06-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Got a spare bedroom?
No.. But I have room on the floor next to the subwoofers. I mean isn't that what you do Pop? Sleep next to your subwoofers?
popalock likes this.
post #468 of 478 Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 625
post #469 of 478 Old 12-07-2014, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 4
[QUOTE=Archaea;29552066]You'll have better luck pm'ing the guys in your area in case they don't follow the thread but there are a few in Texas you can reach out to that have volunteered to demo their room!]

Thanks, but I did my research and saw the Texas demos. I live in north Houston and decided not to demo the dual SVS ultras (I communicated with border1995 - a great guy) because I didn't want to lust after them too much and buy my own. I did however purchase the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus on sale for $449 shipped and it is a fantastic sub. I am in love with it haha. Does my small room so well.

Funny story, I actually listened to it for an entire movie and several media tracks before even trying to switch the phase...well you know what happened then. A damn earthquake was going off in my room!

(don't worry, gain level was only at 5-6 and receiver was at a low sub level so no harm done
post #470 of 478 Old 12-07-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
You'll have better luck pm'ing the guys in your area in case they don't follow the thread but there are a few in Texas you can reach out to that have volunteered to demo their room!
oops. ^^
post #471 of 478 Old 12-07-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

first post updated.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #472 of 478 Old 12-07-2014, 05:24 PM

It quoted you, but it is what I said haha weird...
post #473 of 478 Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Throw your info up here 88Formula. Everybody starts somewhere, and that mirage isn't a bad piece of kit. Not everyone wants dual 18s or more. I think any subwoofer system that an owner enjoys and is willing to demo to others should make the list. It'd be a pretty boring/useless list if it was only 3 states and eight 18" as a minimum.
Tulsa area, Oklahoma - Mirage Omni S12 - 88Formula

I'm hoping to place an order on an HSU VTF-15H MK2 here soon
post #474 of 478 Old 12-08-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
@Reefdvr27, @carp, @asoofi1, @Scott Simonian, @beastaudio, @NWCgrad, @imagic, @audiovideoholic, @z0dVA, @Pain Infliction, @Fatshaft, @jlbrown15, @maxmercy, @NathanJ, @shadyJ, @Sibuna, @tvong

Biggest call out in AVS history...

^All the people I don't see on this list...that should be.
oh you

Western NY - South of Rochester

Main HT
DIY Fusion 12 Tempests (fronts)
DIY Delta 10 Max (Rears)
DIY Fusion 4 Quad (center)

DIY 2x Dayton 18" HO in 4 CUFT - EP4000
DIY 1x SI HS24" 15 CUFT - Lg Clone (4400w)

DIY Volt 8 Coaxials (computer)
DIY 2x Anarchy tapped Horn (computer)

DIY Fusion 8s (downstairs)

60" TV for ref

the 24"

carp likes this.

Last edited by Sibuna; 12-09-2014 at 07:41 AM.
post #475 of 478 Old 12-10-2014, 12:38 PM

I've placed an order for a HSU VTF-15H MK2, I'll post an update when I actually have it in-hand and set up. Can't wait!
post #476 of 478 Old 12-14-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post
oh you

Western NY - South of Rochester

Main HT
DIY Fusion 12 Tempests (fronts)
DIY Delta 10 Max (Rears)
DIY Fusion 4 Quad (center)

DIY 2x Dayton 18" HO in 4 CUFT - EP4000
DIY 1x SI HS24" 15 CUFT - Lg Clone (4400w)

DIY Volt 8 Coaxials (computer)
DIY 2x Anarchy tapped Horn (computer)

DIY Fusion 8s (downstairs)

60" TV for ref

the 24"

I want to demo your rooms! I want to hear the 24 and tempests. I can bring some stuff if you wish. I am in rochester 3 times a month!
post #477 of 478 Old Today, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Formula View Post
Tulsa area, Oklahoma - Mirage Omni S12 - 88Formula

I'm hoping to place an order on an HSU VTF-15H MK2 here soon
VTF-15H MK2 will be here Monday! I'll still have the Mirage, it will be purposed as part of my office 2.1 system.
post #478 of 478 Old Today, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saint Louis, MO - (2) Cinema F-20s - Inuke3000dsp - Fuj32

Also, I might add..... I am very eager to get someone over who might have a bit more experience with this Inuke. I have it set up to where it sounds pretty good, but I have a feeling I am missing out on a lot of what this thing can do. Too many settings/adjustments!! I have this set up with a Denon x4000 powering my speakers: DIY SEOS Tempest. Wish I was still living in KC, as there looks to be at least two inuke owners over there....
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer , Svs Pb12 Nsd Black Vinyl 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Rythmik Audio F15 Subwoofer , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer , Klipsch Rw 12d 12 Subwoofer Each , Tc Sounds Lms Ultra 5400 , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4