Lava LSP-10 or Energy EW-100 or Premier Acoustic PA-10W - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Noob here. I'm looking to add a budget sub to a home theater system. Probably be used about 80% HT and 20% Music. I've found these 3 and have read many of your posts on each but I'm still completely up in the air on which one to choose. Basically I can get all for about the same price so that is out as a comparison. Can anyone offer any recommendations? (Along with a few deserved noob jabs of course)

Thanks, RKD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-30-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

OK so I figured out that the EW-100 only has a 55 watt RMS amp, that seems a little skimpy even in the $200 range. It might be trailing the pack now.

I would have posted this question in the "Want advice on what sub to purchase? Please read this before posting..." thread but I noticed no one has been getting any response lately on their questions. Come on now, you guys are supposed to be dedicated enthusiasts, someone has to have an opinion on these subs
post #3 of 14 Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM

What's ur budget?
post #4 of 14 Old 08-30-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Probably not more than $250. Times are tough
post #5 of 14 Old 08-30-2011, 06:54 PM

The lava or bic f12 are popular, I'm in looking for a sub as well and decided to wait a little a up my budget so I can get the Hsu Stf-2. The Stf-1 is currently on sale for $254 and provides a good balance between music and ht. The f12 and lava will extend lower but won't be as flat on frequency response as the Hsu.
post #6 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Appreciate your advice D. I have seen some love for the Hsu's. I saw the post where someone took apart the Lava and the Bic and it looked like the Lava was made of higher quality components but it's hard to tell from pics.
post #7 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkdgator View Post

Appreciate your advice D. I have seen some love for the Hsu's. I saw the post where someone took apart the Lava and the Bic and it looked like the Lava was made of higher quality components but it's hard to tell from pics.

The person that took those two subs apart knew what he was looking at, clearly the Lava was a better made sub. If we were reading the same thread?

The Bic is highly regarded though for an inexpensive sub, as far as sound quality goes anyway.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same one. I'm starting to lean towards the lava a little more. But if there is something comparable in that meager budget I'd love to know about it.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I found the PA-10 for $180.99 shipped and the Lava is about $30 more. I was leaning towards the Lava but is it worth paying 15% more for?
post #10 of 14 Old 08-31-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:

I found the PA-10 for $180.99 shipped and the Lava is about $30 more. I was leaning towards the Lava but is it worth paying 15% more for?

I actually own the PA-10, and while I have never heard the Lava, from what I read I would go with it. The PA works very well for movies, and I get pretty substantial room gain in the lower frequencies due to my setup (smallish room with sub in corner), but I am not impressed with it's performance with music. It sounds like a "one note wonder". Most of the music coming out of it sounds like the same note. It will thump pretty hard for hip hop music, but when you listen to anything that has multi-tonal bass it falls a little short in my opinion. I am a hard-headed person and didn't listen to the people on the forum that said to save up and getter a better sub to start with, and now I see why. I don't regret my purchase, because it was a learning experience, and this sub will work really well for a small room, but I would go with something else if I could do it all over again.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Lando, that is really honest advice. And now I'm back up in the air again. Maybe I should just go with my gut and get the Lava
post #12 of 14 Old 09-02-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
This might be the deal of the moment in your price range. Newegg just posted a fantastic deal of $249 on the Energy S10.3 Subwoofer for Labor Day weekend. That's the 200 watt, 800 watt peak version that is equivalent to the Mirage Omni S10 and regularly sells in the $400 to $500 range. You need the promo code to get the special: EMCKAKH67. To use the promo code in your shopping cart, you have to be on the Newegg mailing list. I think you might can subscribe to the mailing list (I forget how you find the link for subscribing). Once you are on it, still use this promo code even though you didn't receive it. I wouldn't wait, though. They might sell out quick at this price.

Update: Here's the link to the ad for all the specials. You subscribe in the form field at the top.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #13 of 14 Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Cel, that does look like a good deal. I also found the JBL ES150P for $214.99 shipped. Any thoughts on this one?

Still have not settled.................
post #14 of 14 Old 09-02-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:

Thanks Cel, that does look like a good deal. I also found the JBL ES150P for $214.99 shipped. Any thoughts on this one?

Still have not settled.................

I have not heard that model Energy subwoofer, nor the JBL. However, I do have the Mirage Prestige S10, which is the next model up in the Mirage/Energy duplicate subwoofer lines. I have been extremely happy with it for what I paid for it ($350 on special), although I'm getting close to upgrading.

Based on my experience with my sub and what I've read about the Energy S10.3/Mirage Omni S10, I would suspect that you can't buy a better sub at that price. It doesn't seem like you could beat that deal--it's a fairly low price point--but there could be another sub that is better for your listening taste and use. You might read some reviews of the Omni S10 and Energy S10.3, but if I remember right from doing my research a few years ago, like the Prestige S10 that I have, that series also privileges a tighter, more focused bass over deeper, louder extension. Vanns has reviews of the Omni S10 and S8 with some Prestige S10 and S8 mixed in. People seemed to really like the different subwoofers across the two lines.

Good luck with your choice

Update: part of the reason that unusual rebranding of the same subwoofer goes on with Energy and Mirage is that they are both owned by Klipsch, although the Mirage and Energy subwoofers do not appear to be duplicated in the Klipsch sub lines. There is a Mirage MM6 and MM8 subwoofer which is also duplicated in the Energy sub offerings, too.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page