Bose Acoustimass 3 Subwoofer issue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-10-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the Bose Acoustimass 3 subwoofer and with 2 cube speakers for years, it's been great, usage has been low-medium over these years.

I was trying to hook this unit up to my new TV, and I must have messed up something as it was woking fine before that. Now I can hear the sound in my subwoofer but not in the speakers, there is not much I can do expect try new wires etc. from the tuner to subwoofer and to TV but the same problem persists. I guess I have a subwoofer problem, will appreciate advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-10-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Bose is pretty much universally disliked here. Be prepared for the onslaught of "get rid of it and buy a real system" suggestions. FWIW, I think that's your best bet too.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #3 of 20 Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Bose is pretty much universally disliked here. Be prepared for the onslaught of "get rid of it and buy a real system" suggestions. FWIW, I think that's your best bet too.

Well first off the OP should get rid of it and buy a real system

But for the problem right now, how are the speakers supposed to be hooked up? Does the speaker wires from the speakers go straight in the receiver or do they run thru the subwoofer somehow? I know bose is kooky with their crossovers so in this case I'm not sure how they're run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 20 Old 09-11-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

As a consequence, the other problem is that no one here knows how the Acoustimass systems work or has experience troubleshooting them. Bose must have a forum somewhere for community support. Not that I'm trying to chase the OP away, just that AVS is not the best place for help on this for many reasons.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 20 Old 09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Bose cube speakers can produce audiophile quality sound at any frequency, even under water. No subwoofer is required.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM

don' t ask a question about a speaker that can be purchased in a retail store to the snobs on this forum. they know everything.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefool View Post

don' t ask a question about a speaker that can be purchased in a retail store to the snobs on this forum. they know everything.

Especially the ones who label all members of this forum as snobs. To the OP, you might be better off contacting Bose customer service as one of the posters said, most of us don't know much about Bose Acoustimass gear. If you like your Bose gear, that's all that matters. Not everyone on AVS are snobs. Good luck and hope you can resolve your issue.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-11-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettefool View Post

It's not snobbery. Bose are way overpriced for what you get. I had Bose back in the 1980s, and then I figured out they were not a good value. There are much better speakers for the money, even in brick and mortar stores.

That being said, there are some good savings to be had online, as with everything else these days. Let who he has not bought something online to save money cast the first stone

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #9 of 20 Old 09-12-2011, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
outta curiousity...what kind of systems do good movie halls, theaters, sports arenas, rock concerts, ect usually use
post #10 of 20 Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQBlogs View Post

outta curiousity...what kind of systems do good movie halls, theaters, sports arenas, rock concerts, ect usually use

Bose, JBL, QSC...
post #11 of 20 Old 09-13-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

It's not snobbery. Bose are way overpriced for what you get. I had Bose back in the 1980s, and then I figured out they were not a good value. There are much better speakers for the money, even in brick and mortar stores.

That being said, there are some good savings to be had online, as with everything else these days. Let who he has not bought something online to save money cast the first stone

The OP, and others like him, come to AVS for help in many cases .. if you are unable to answer the OP's question, why resort to some sort of "advice" post when you know nothing about the OP's taste, likes/dislikes .. etc .. ?? Just curious what your motivation is ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #12 of 20 Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenis View Post

Bose, JBL, QSC...

I wouldn't lump the Bose Pro line in with their consumer stuff. The people that use the pro stuff are certified installers, I would hope that they wouldn't recommend Bose Pro stuff if it was no good. Good advertising on the average consumer goes a lot further than it would with a seasoned professional.(One would hope anyway)

post #13 of 20 Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

To the OP, if you can get a multimeter, you could figure out if the problem was the speaker wire or the amp that powers them that is inside the sub.(excuse me, I meant bass module)

post #14 of 20 Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Maybe some actual advise would be helpful.

First, you are running an RCA type cable from the tv audio out into
your stereo reciever? Is the audio out setting in your tv on? Is it set
to fixed or variable? (you want fixed)

In your reciever do you have the speakers hooked up to the left and
right main speaker terminals? Do you have those set to large? Is the sub
woofer setting in the reciever set to off?

Your speaker wires should run from your receiver into the acoustamass,
then out to your speakers.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 60
The satellites connects to the subwoofer. The subwoofer connects to the amp. Do not connect the satellites directly to the amplifier. I reckon an internal crossover is inside the bass module. Get a small 1.5 volt battery and connect the satellites to the battery for a VERY VERY VERY SHORT TIME like 1 millionth of a second , it it makes a sound then the satellites are fine and the problem is within the bass module.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Of course the problem is in the bass module. What are the chances that both satellite speakers conked out at once?

Qualitie, try listening to the receiver's output with headphones to make sure that the input signal is okay at the receiver level.

Are you using the Bose receiver or something else?

post #17 of 20 Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The OP, and others like him, come to AVS for help in many cases .. if you are unable to answer the OP's question, why resort to some sort of "advice" post when you know nothing about the OP's taste, likes/dislikes .. etc .. ?? Just curious what your motivation is ..

Do you always respond to people without awareness of the context of the thread? That response was to the snarky comment, not the OP. My initial response earlier in this thread is true for many types of products and good advice. Find an "enthusiast" forum for the product you have, because otherwise people won't have as much experience at troubleshooting the product. There is not even an active Bose Owners thread here, despite the popularity of Bose among the general public. It died in 2009, and it's not even listed on the Owners Thread sticky. There must be a community somewhere where people have a lot of experience with Acoustimass systems. If he doesn't get some help here, he should not give up.

Update: I should clarify that I'm talking about an Owners Thread in the Speakers section, not Subwoofers.

post #18 of 20 Old 09-14-2011, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Do you always respond to people without awareness of the context of the thread? That response was to the snarky comment, not the OP. My initial response earlier in this thread is true for many types of products and good advice. Find an "enthusiast" forum for the product you have, because otherwise people won't have as much experience at troubleshooting the product. There is not even an active Bose Owners thread here, despite the popularity of Bose among the general public. It died in 2009, and it's not even listed on the Owners Thread sticky. There must be a community somewhere where people have a lot of experience with Acoustimass systems. If he doesn't get some help here, he should not give up.

Update: I should clarify that I'm talking about an Owners Thread in the Speakers section, not Subwoofers.

It's good to know you brand your type of advice "good" .. as well, my reply to you was quoted from your post "advising" the OP "Bose are way overpriced for what you get. I had Bose back in the 1980s, and then I figured out they were not a good value. There are much better speakers for the money, even in brick and mortar stores."

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #19 of 20 Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

It's good to know you brand your type of advice "good" .. as well, my reply to you was quoted from your post "advising" the OP "Bose are way overpriced for what you get. I had Bose back in the 1980s, and then I figured out they were not a good value. There are much better speakers for the money, even in brick and mortar stores."

My bad. I thought by OP you were referring to the original poster of the this thread, not that you were defending vettefool's statement about "the snob on this forum." My fault. I should restrain myself in the future from responding to posts that appear to be trolls.

post #20 of 20 Old 11-05-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

I just realized there has been some very active debate since I've posted the issue and thanks to everyone who replied, understand that this not a Bose friendly forum. Folks who have tried to point out some specific things to try- Thank You, I will try the 1.5V battery idea with speaker.

Here is the latest:

By process of elimination and swapping wires & audio input device I've eliminated the Bose subwoofer as the issue. I connected an audio device to the Kenmore receiver and connected a set of non-bose speakers to the subwoofer and everything worked fine.

To the above set up then I replaced the audio unit with my new Samsung TV (direct connection, switched TV speakers off) and I get a loud humming sound with the audio in the background. Also the receiver had a setting to increase the resistance to over 8ohms, tried that without luck

Finally I replaced my non-bose speakers with the bose speakers and the sound is back to the subwoofer.

The above points out to three things, the output from my new Samsung TV is not compatible with the Kenmore receiver (Issue 1), there is a "connection issue" from my subwoofer to Bose speaker (Issue 2) or both my cube speakers conked at once (Issue 3), the last one is hard to believe

I thought I will just share, any pointers are welcome with all due respect to the members here!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page