Elemental Designs amp failures - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Has your eD amp failed within 1 year?
No 0 0%
Yes, but was serviced to original condition timely 0 0%
Yes, and I'm not satisfied with eD's service 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 223 Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksparrow1020 View Post

I just don't understand how they could do that. Even if they respond to me and ship it tomorrow, there is no guarantee that they would offer good service/support in future. When I'm spending $1560(isolation pads included), I would expect some response even if it's something like it's going to take couple more weeks rather than just ignoring. I don't mind waiting but not replying and ignoring...that isn't acceptable. I just can't digest the fact that would not chat with me when I used my name but would chat when I used another name. It's sick.

Honestly, this seems to be par for the course with eD as of late. If you don't get an answer back by tomorrow afternoon, cancel your order and look into your other options. Lots of other companies out there that answer the phone, are helpful, stand by their products, and want to make a sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My advice, as an owner of an eD sub, is that you should cancel the order. The support and service from this company is absolutely horrendous. Just like you're experencing now when they don't answer your replies. Personally I've bought my first and last eD product.
post #123 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omholt View Post

My advice, as an owner of an eD sub, is that you should cancel the order. The support and service from this company is absolutely horrendous. Just like you're experencing now when they don't answer your replies. Personally I've bought my first and last eD product.

So in a few months that you had your subwoofer, after all the initial troubles and problems you've had.... and now this???
post #124 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Honestly, this seems to be par for the course with eD as of late. If you don't get an answer back by tomorrow afternoon, cancel your order and look into your other options. Lots of other companies out there that answer the phone, are helpful, stand by their products, and want to make a sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omholt View Post

I just got off phone with Alex and he thinks it's just a coincidence that it happened and he was sorry for that. He said that one of the sub has already left their facility and the other sub is waiting for Lt500 amp. I'm debating if I have to cancel the 2 second one or not. Just to let you guys know the second sub will be part of a different HT setup.
post #125 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Did you receive an email/notification of any sort that only one would be shipping and the other would be waiting for parts?
post #126 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

Did you receive an email/notification of any sort that only one would be shipping and the other would be waiting for parts?

Yes, I sent Alex an e-mail and he forwarded me the tracking number for the sub and isolation pad.
PS: I have placed the order for second one I guess 2 days after I placed the order for first one.
post #127 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds good after all. It's easy to jump to conclusions with the negative light that has recently been shed upon eD.
post #128 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I don't own an ed product and I really have no reason for disdain toward any id sub company...not even Chase Home Theater. I have seen lots of these ED and service issues pop up. It seems to be the same story every time. Something fails...try to contact ED....communication is horrible. Poster complains about it on AVS and Alix appears out of nowhere and has some sort of excuse and is sorry. I have sympathy for people in customer service as I know how hard people hard to please. I know sh** happens. I deal with it everyday at my own job. BUT, it pops up waaaay to much with this company and the story is always the same. I'm glad I stayed clear of this company when I made my purchase. Do I think they make a good product when it is working? I'm sure they probably do. Peace of mind is priceless and I don't see how you could have it with this company. I'd really like to see them fix all of their issues as I believe that companies can change. But...it makes you wonder when you still see this year after year.

Alix...you need to listen to your customers. You are losing sales and no company is above lost sale, especially in this economy.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #129 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I don't own an ed product and I really have no reason for disdain toward any id sub company...not even Chase Home Theater. I have seen lots of these ED and service issues pop up. It seems to be the same story every time. Something fails...try to contact ED....communication is horrible. Poster complains about it on AVS and Alix appears out of nowhere and has some sort of excuse and is sorry. I have sympathy for people in customer service as I know how hard people hard to please. I know sh** happens. I deal with it everyday at my own job. BUT, it pops up waaaay to much with this company and the story is always the same. I'm glad I stayed clear of this company when I made my purchase. Do I think they make a good product when it is working? I'm sure they probably do. Peace of mind is priceless and I don't see how you could have it with this company. I'd really like to see them fix all of their issues as I believe that companies can change. But...it makes you wonder when you still see this year after year.

Alix...you need to listen to your customers. You are losing sales and no company is above lost sale, especially in this economy.

I agree with everything you have to say here... especially that they make a good product when working. I really believe that it isn't too late for eD to turn it around, especially with their new cinema line that has received much praise since it's arrival to the market. Things just need to change yesterday, as the perception/reality seems to be of a company that isn't a safe choice right now for our hard earned money.
post #130 of 223 Old 02-21-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

Spot on. They offer good value for the money, but their customer service needs a massive overhaul. Offer 3 year warranty on the amp. Alex please drop this policy about voiding warranty for people who use Audyssey. Return calls. Return email. Alex seems like somebody who cares, but he is just one person.

I like streamlining the product line and stating that all products will ship within 1-3 days. It remains to be seen if you can actually do this, but it seems like a step in the right direction. I think the custom stuff is cool, but I honestly believe all the custom offerings detract from the core business and hurts customer service.

I was an eD owner. I am now an HSU owner. Alex, this was my experience at HSU. I called on a Friday afternoon and got a competent sales rep immediately. He spent 20 minutes talking with me about my room and my options with HSU. No BS, just a friendly conversation with no sales pressure. Ordered a VTF-15H on Sunday night. Received an immediate email confirmation of the order. Received a FedEx tracking number early Monday afternoon (yes President's Day). FedEx received my sub and it was out for shipping. The is on a very popular subwoofer.

So what would my experience have been if I had ordered the A5-350 from eD vs the HSU VTF-15H? Would it have been comparable? Do I need to worry about amps dying on the HSU subs? Do I need to stress about running Audyssey and having my driver warranty voided with the HSU sub? Do I need to worry that if I have an issue if I can even get competent and timely customer service and a quick RMA?

I think eD needs to look at companies like HSU and SVS and beat them at their own game. Forget just trying to keep up, the goal should be to instill trust and confidence in your products and to always make a sale to a new customer and keep the existing customers.

I really think eD has some great products and ideas and some talent within the company, but they need to take a good hard look around and right the ship fast.
post #131 of 223 Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Return calls. Return email. Alex seems like somebody who cares, but he is just one person.

I don't really agree with that 100%. He has time to post on his forum everyday, and usually quickly responses to negative eD posts on here (usually to give us an excuse) but it takes him days to answer an email? Or no response at all. He has time to post pictures of the eD fan boys custom projects, but doesn't response when a normal customer has an legit issue. When a customer sends an email about wanting something custom or asking which subwoofer is best for their room, its usually an almost instant response, but as soon as theres any issue or customer wanting to know where the product is, now he's just so busy and doesn't have time
post #132 of 223 Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 14
It is so crazy how different personal experiences can be. I have had nothing but great experiences with eD (even recently). My eD product has performed flawlessly over the years as well. It sucks that some of you have had issues.
post #133 of 223 Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:

Spot on. They offer good value for the money, but their customer service needs a massive overhaul. Offer 3 year warranty on the amp. Alex please drop this policy about voiding warranty for people who use Audyssey. Return calls. Return email. Alex seems like somebody who cares, but he is just one person.

I like streamlining the product line and stating that all products will ship within 1-3 days. It remains to be seen if you can actually do this, but it seems like a step in the right direction. I think the custom stuff is cool, but I honestly believe all the custom offerings detract from the core business and hurts customer service.

I was an eD owner. I am now an HSU owner. Alex, this was my experience at HSU. I called on a Friday afternoon and got a competent sales rep immediately. He spent 20 minutes talking with me about my room and my options with HSU. No BS, just a friendly conversation with no sales pressure. Ordered a VTF-15H on Sunday night. Received an immediate email confirmation of the order. Received a FedEx tracking number early Monday afternoon (yes President's Day). FedEx received my sub and it was out for shipping. The is on a very popular subwoofer.

So what would my experience have been if I had ordered the A5-350 from eD vs the HSU VTF-15H? Would it have been comparable? Do I need to worry about amps dying on the HSU subs? Do I need to stress about running Audyssey and having my driver warranty voided with the HSU sub? Do I need to worry that if I have an issue if I can even get competent and timely customer service and a quick RMA?

I think eD needs to look at companies like HSU and SVS and beat them at their own game. Forget just trying to keep up, the goal should be to instill trust and confidence in your products and to always make a sale to a new customer and keep the existing customers.

I really think eD has some great products and ideas and some talent within the company, but they need to take a good hard look around and right the ship fast.

Completely agree with you. If their products work with no issues they are really good. I knew about their amp issues but took a chance and placed an order as it was good bang for the buck. But their customer service put me off.
When I talked to Alex, he was polite and apologetic but I just could not digest what happened to me. So today I cancelled my order for second sub even though I was getting a really good deal on it($630-which comes to $715 per sub).
Is the warranty voided if I use Audyssey?
Did you get your VTF-15H? You like it?
post #134 of 223 Old 02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Completely agree with you. If their products work with no issues they are really good. I knew about their amp issues but took a chance and placed an order as it was good bang for the buck. But their customer service put me off.
When I talked to Alex, he was polite and apologetic but I just could not digest what happened to me. So today I cancelled my order for second sub even though I was getting a really good deal on it($630-which comes to $715 per sub).
Is the warranty voided if I use Audyssey?
Did you get your VTF-15H? You like it?

It will be here Friday, so I will let you know.
post #135 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

I don't really agree with that 100%. He has time to post on his forum everyday, and usually quickly responses to negative eD posts on here (usually to give us an excuse) but it takes him days to answer an email? Or no response at all. He has time to post pictures of the eD fan boys custom projects, but doesn't response when a normal customer has an legit issue. When a customer sends an email about wanting something custom or asking which subwoofer is best for their room, its usually an almost instant response, but as soon as theres any issue or customer wanting to know where the product is, now he's just so busy and doesn't have time

+1
Last excuse I got after contacting him about a hum issue was that he had changed his e-mail address. Yeah right. Why would suddenly change your address and not inform the one you have communicated with? It was after I complained at this forum, he told me that by the way. And he asked me to forward the mails to another e-mail address. Which I did, twice, but I never heard from him again.

Could also mention other areas where I've experienced of lack of service and support (I had to wait many months for my order for instance). And like it's said above; Alex was very quick to answer before I had paid.

I've come to the place where I understand I have to live the problems with my eD sub or do something about it myself. I don't expect any help from eD and I've bought my last product from them. A lot of people have had similar issues. My clear advice to anyone considering buying from them is: Stay away. There are many other fine companies that give excellent support.
post #136 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 AM

@ack_bk: Are you sure about voiding the warranty if Audyssey is used with A5 350?
post #137 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Liked: 11
I don't want you guys to think those of us with custom projects get treated special. I asked Alex back on January 21st for information on my speakers and I still haven't gotten it. I get a random text message every now and again saying he hasn't forgotten about me, but I think we all know that's not the truth.

It has now been a year that I've been asking one of them to come out and fix an issue (small issue) with one of my tower speakers, an issue that I was told by Alex would be taken care of by one of the guys that would drive out here to fix it. It was only going to take a month or two to set up a time to make it happen. When I remind him, I'm told he'll get back to me.

It's not just you guys that have issues, the whole customer service area of eD needs to be overhauled. I've spent over $9,000 with eD and I'm still waiting for a fix to my tower. I've built solid relationships with the guys at eD, but I'm getting pretty tired of being blown off.

I will add that all of my products still work 100% as they should.
post #138 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@ack_bk: Are you sure about voiding the warranty if Audyssey is used with A5 350?

I was told by eD on the phone that if I have a defective driver (still under warranty) and they suspect that Audyssey was the cause (and apparently they have some way of determining this) that the warranty would be voided and I would be responsible for replacement costs. To say that I was shocked is an understatement.

I am not the only person that was told this.
post #139 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceguyEdy View Post

I don't want you guys to think those of us with custom projects get treated special

Nope we know that, its just Alex will give you instant responses when someone inquires about a custom project. But as soon as you agree and send the money, its oops just been really busy excuse. Now there are some on eD forum that gets regular updates of their purchase, like pictures of the driver sitting on the shelf or the cabinet hanging ready to get painted.
post #140 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Nope we know that, its just Alex will give you instant responses when someone inquires about a custom project. But as soon as you agree and send the money, its oops just been really busy excuse. Now there are some on eD forum that gets regular updates of their purchase, like pictures of the driver sitting on the shelf or the cabinet hanging ready to get painted.

I see where you're coming from and you have a good point.
post #141 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 594
He doesn't charge my card until the product ships, but that's on stock speakers. He charges right away on custom builds?

I bought the cinema center channel, it shipped a few days later. I bought the cinema 12"s and they shipped a few days later. I ordered the 6" cinema bookshelf speakers and they are supposed to ship by the end of the week so my experience has been very positive. Sorry to hear about those who haven't had similar experiences.
post #142 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Ordered an enclosure for a 13av.2 driver, credit card was charged right then, but was almost 2 months before it shipped. Item was listed as instock, but of course that was wrong its a custom made to order item, got the same excuse back in '09 as they are giving out in 2012.
post #143 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

He doesn't charge my card until the product ships, but that's on stock speakers. He charges right away on custom builds?

I bought the cinema center channel, it shipped a few days later. I bought the cinema 12"s and they shipped a few days later. I ordered the 6" cinema bookshelf speakers and they are supposed to ship by the end of the week so my experience has been very positive. Sorry to hear about those who haven't had similar experiences.

Do you know if running Audyssey (or other room correcting software) on their speakers can void the warranty on the driver/tweeter like it can on the subwoofers?
post #144 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:

Do you know if running Audyssey (or other room correcting software) on their speakers can void the warranty on the driver/tweeter like it can on the subwoofers?

No, I have a Pioneer Elite so I don't have Audyssey. I do have mcacc so I guess I should ask Alex. I never hurt my Maggies with mcacc, so there is no way on earth I'm going to hurt these things. My mains used to be at +10 with the Maggies and are now at -9 with the same volume output on the spl meter.
post #145 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

No, I have a Pioneer Elite so I don't have Audyssey. I do have mcacc so I guess I should ask Alex. I never hurt my Maggies with mcacc, so there is no way on earth I'm going to hurt these things. My mains used to be at +10 with the Maggies and are now at -9 with the same volume output on the spl meter.

I would think it would be good to know for others who may be considering their speakers, which by the way, look pretty awesome in your setup.
post #146 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

I would think it would be good to know for others who may be considering their speakers, which by the way, look pretty awesome in your setup.

Speakers are different than subs. I've never seen Audessey try boosting a speaker by 10+db below tuning.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #147 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

Speakers are different than subs. I've never seen Audessey try boosting a speaker by 10+db below tuning.

Well it would be nice if eD was upfront with their policies in their warranty and at time of purchase. I know when I looked through it (the warranty) it was not clear to me at all that running Audyssey would result in voiding the warranty on the driver for their subs.

It also seems odd to me that eD is the only subwoofer company I have heard of taking this stance on Audyssey. If Audyssey was causing drivers to fail, wouldn't this be a common problem across all manufacturers?
post #148 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Reading all these stories scares me away from ever considering eD :/

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #149 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I am going to be purchasing a new sub in the next couple months. I have a Hsu STF-2 right now and I am looking to move up to a 15 in sub. I looked at ED really hard before buying my current Hsu. This time around, they are not even in the running due to all the issues I have read about. Just not worth the headache.

There will be a VTF-15, Rythmik 15 or an Epik empire in my theater instead. Too bad. They're products seemed really appealing to me a year ago.

And I love my Dynamic Eq. Been using it 3 yrs now with 3 different subs and no issues. That's the deal breaker for me without thinking twice.

post #150 of 223 Old 02-23-2012, 09:21 PM

I've had one of there car audio amps for about 6 years now. I've damn near submerged it in water a couple times and the worst thing that has happened is blown fuses. I love it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page