Elemental Designs amp failures - Page 6 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Has your eD amp failed within 1 year?
No 0 0%
Yes, but was serviced to original condition timely 0 0%
Yes, and I'm not satisfied with eD's service 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Alex please drop this policy about voiding warranty for people who use Audyssey.

I'm not even sure why I opened this thread tonight - because I decided long ago I would never buy anything from eD - but I couldn't help noticing this one. All kidding aside... this can't possibly be real, can it?

At first I thought that had to be nothing more then a sarcastic comment from a disgruntled owner, or someone who tried to be an owner but got caught up in one of the myriad eD problems, but then I saw the same thing mentioned a few times between your post and this one. They actually have a policy that says your warranty is void if you run the most popular and advanced room correction software available today? You're really not being facetious? Man, that's scary...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I'm not even sure why I opened this thread tonight - because I decided long ago I would never buy anything from eD - but I couldn't help noticing this one. All kidding aside... this can't possibly be real, can it?

At first I thought that had to be nothing more then a sarcastic comment from a disgruntled owner, or someone who tried to be an owner but got caught up in one of the myriad eD problems, but then I saw the same thing mentioned a few times between your post and this one. They actually have a policy that says your warranty is void if you run the most popular and advanced room correction software available today? You're really not being facetious? Man, that's scary...

+10. Wow, I'll SO never buy or recommend one of these.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Yes, if I cannot use Audyssey with their drivers, that eliminates them from being purchased.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Unfortunately it is 100% real. I was told as such over the phone directly from eD and there are multiple reports of users being denied the warranty claim and having to buy a new driver. If anyone would like to read more here you go:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=12223

I don't see how eD can even do this since, nowhere (as far as I can tell) does it state on their website that if you use Audyssey you void the warranty on the driver (not sure about the amp, but I suppose they could deny that too).
Old 02-24-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I can only imagine some the scenarios a good number of ED products have been exposed to in the trunks and backseats of vehicles, nation-wide.

Subs are a lot like streetwalkers that way...
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Unfortunately it is 100% real. I was told as such over the phone directly from eD and there are multiple reports of users being denied the warranty claim and having to buy a new driver. If anyone would like to read more here you go:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=12223

I don't see how eD can even do this since, nowhere (as far as I can tell) does it state on their website that if you use Audyssey you void the warranty on the driver (not sure about the amp, but I suppose they could deny that too).

With this sort of crap going on, let me be the first to predict the demise of eD in the home sub market.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM
SeƱor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

With this sort of crap going on, let me be the first to predict the demise of eD in the home sub market.

Don't be too hasty ... Mike

I sense an opportunity here. Subwoofer Insurance against damage caused by Audyssey. Say $50 for a very simple policy that states if you can prove (beyond a shadow of a doubt) that Audyssey caused damage to your sub, Odyssey Subwoofer Insurance Inc. (notice the clever avoidance of copyright issues) will pay to repair said damage.

OK, there's the idea (and the name), anyone who wants to pursue this golden opportunity go ahead with my blessing.

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Now there's a true entrepreneurial spirit.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I beat ya by about a year on that one...

It's truly amazing how much the fortunes have changed for some of the ID companies in the past year. I've been active in HT for less than 2 years, so my historical perspective is somewhat limited (but I've been an audiophile for about 30 years now). I'm a voracious reader though, so I have more knowledge then that 2 years might imply.

At one time there were 10 ID companies mentioned with regularity; some frequently, some almost constantly, but these same 10 names were repeated over and over again whenever anyone asked for a subwoofer recommendation. Based solely upon my own observations -- in other words, YMMV -- this is what they look like to me now (listed in alphabetic order)...

Chase Home Theater: still mentioned when larger subs are needed. CHT has their ardent followers, but thankfully few of them appear to be fanboy zealots (which can't be said for a few of the other companies mentioned).

eD: between issues with delivery, products, quality, and now customer service this company has plunged the most. by far.

Emotiva: recommendations are now few and far between. they were once considered a value proposition, but no more it seems. thier line of subwoofers doesn't include enough models. shame too - I had an Ultra 12, so I know first hand how good their quality is.

Epik: still recommended, but less often it seems. few complain about them, but not a lot compliment them either. product line needs more options.

HSU: well regarded and recommended often.

Lava: good value for the budget minded. not mentioned as often, but still a presence.

Outlaw: well regarded and recommended often. touted as a less expensive alternative to HSU by some.

Premier Acoustic: mentioned as a quality and musical sub, especially for the price, but might be a bit challenged for HT.

Rythmik: well regarded and recommended often.

SVS: well regarded and recommended often.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 312
If you sort by the threads with the most views, you will see you need to add Seaton Sound and JTR Speakers to your list. Plus the Seaton Submersive has been one of the most recommended subs over the past 5 years.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

If you read further into what joeyvaz says though, he hooked the A2-300 up to his Pioneer receiver and the issues caused by the Audessey massive boost went away.

In that case, the sub didn't end up with permanent damage, but Audessey made it sound like it was destroyed.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

If you sort by the threads with the most views, you will see you need to add Seaton Sound and JTR Speakers to your list. Plus the Seaton Submersive has been one of the most recommended subs over the past 5 years.

Like I said, YMMV...

Not sure I would agree that the Submersive "has been one of the most recommended in the past 5 years" though. It's price keeps it out of reach for quite a large percentage of people, which means the number of times it can be mentioned as a viable alternative to someone is thusly limited as well. But for those with that level of financial freedom it's almost always towards the top of their list, so in that regard you are indeed correct.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

If you read further into what joeyvaz says though, he hooked the A2-300 up to his Pioneer receiver and the issues caused by the Audessey massive boost went away.

In that case, the sub didn't end up with permanent damage, but Audessey made it sound like it was destroyed.

Still doesn't answer the question of, why is eD's subwoofers the only one effected by Audessey? Don't ever recall reading about Audessey destroying SVS, HSU, Epik, Emotiva, Outlaw, JTR, Seaton, Axiom, Rythmik drivers, on a normal basis like we hear of eD drivers.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I saw where they said it had to do with the amp.

http://forum.edesignaudio.com/showth...light=Audessey

Quote:

The new amps are pretty strong. One downfall they have is because they don't shut down they'll actually allow you to boost everything and run everything hot across the board all the time.

So. You can basically run 5hz to 100hz at +33405340965873db and they amp doesn't shut off. There's a point where voltage becomes a limitation but when excursion shifts so heavily 1 and 2 octaves below or above tuning. That boost can do some serious damage.

This becomes exceptionally concerning for some reasons.

1. You can't hear that low. Your speaker could be trying to move 2+" p2p (which really is not that tough an octave below tuning) and you might not even hear it.

2. Boost there could be done knowingly or unknowingly. If you use any sort of "automatic" eq setting of any kind you could fall victim to it pretty fast and not even know it.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:12 AM

I bought a used A2-300 last year. When I bought it I was under the impression it was only a few months old. The amp failed on it about 6 months into it and poured smoke out of the port. Turned out the sub was much older than I initially thought and it had the old style amp with the fins on the back. The sub was not under warranty and I was able to buy a replacement amp at a discounted price. That process went relatively smoothly but when I bought the sub I expected all of that to be still under warranty based on the age.

I have since sold it to a friend who really likes it and I now have an ED A5-350. So far so good with it.

To be honest though I want another matching sub but am hesitant to buy right now based on all of these issues.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

I wasn't going to comment because I have since sold the a2-300 because I wanted nothing else to do with ED's products. But I really HATE when ED's fanboys, reps, or former employees (Chris Schempp) quote me on only the PART of my posts that help ED's reputation.

What Chris Schempp failed to also quote was that Alex told me via online chate (which I saved to a word doc) that he was 99% sure that Audessy over worked my sub. And since that was the case, the warranty would be voided.

So taking Alex's position in the sub-woofer market, I took for granted that he was being honest and truthful. He probably wanted me to purchase another sub from them. Instead, I purchased an HSU VTF-3. And I couldn't be happier. No problems whatsoever. So ED lost a long time customer (5-6 years since before they got into the HT game) and I will never recommend them to any family, friends, customers that I install systems for.

Picture this...I have a customer spending $10-15k on a HT install including equipment. Down the line they have issues with their ED sub, and I can't get it resolved for them in a timely manner. How would I expect my customer to react? They would be extremely disappointed and would NEVER recommend me to their family and friends most likely. So ED's lack of professionalism lately would impact my business. That's not going to happen with me. They have lost me for good.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

Still doesn't answer the question of, why is eD's subwoofers the only one effected by Audessey? Don't ever recall reading about Audessey destroying SVS, HSU, Epik, Emotiva, Outlaw, JTR, Seaton, Axiom, Rythmik drivers, on a normal basis like we hear of eD drivers.

And on to my next point...The a2-300 worked with numerous Pioneer Elite and regular Pioneer receivers, a Denon, and a Yamaha a1000 at one point or another.

So, the sub did work with Audessy via the Denon, MCACC, and YPAO. For some reason it didn't play well with the Onkyo. Now, my HSU had no problem being calibrated to my Pioneer Elite 94 or vsx-1121, Yamaha a1000, or my buddy's Denon 2112. So obviously the problem lies in in either the a2-300's design, amp, or driver. With that being the case, ED should put a disclaimer that this MAY be the case since they are so quick to throw it out there once they know the customer is using an Audyssey equipped receiver/processor. But that would bite into their bottom line, so that WILL NEVER happen. You fanboys can quote me on that one.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 92
What version of Audessey worked and which one didn't? Did the Denon have a different version than the Onkyo? I read that its Audessey Multi EQ XT that is supposedly what causes problems with eDs.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What version of Audessey worked and which one didn't? Did the Denon have a different version than the Onkyo? I read that its Audessey Multi EQ XT that is supposedly what causes problems with eDs.

No, they both have XT.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:

Good question!

So, let me see if I've got this right. ED sells subs to people with a reasonable expectation they'll be used in a HT environment with modern receivers. The customer is under the reasonable expectation that there are no exclusions when it comes to receiver brands.

Some problems relating to the amp/driver begin to make their way to the internet forums mostly because ED's ability to respond in a timely manner is non-existent. Maybe some drivers and amps were replaced (eventually) under warranty.

More problems start to appear. ED now makes the judgement call that they will not honor their warranty citing the use of Audyssey as the reason. A reasonable inference, if this is the case, is that ED had never subjected their finished product(s) to real world testing using a cross section of representative receivers.

Is that about right?

Since communication with ED is so tortuous, I would suggest two things. First lodge a complaint with the BBB in Iowa. Second would be to contact the Iowa agency responsible for Consumer Complaints.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 02-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

When I made a similar comment to Alex as to why aren't others with the A2-300 AND an Audyssey calibrated receiver having similar problems, he stated that Audyssey calibrates all room differently. There are also nulls in rooms that can boost lower frequencies tremendously. But if that was true, moving the sub around the room would either take away, lessen, or exaggerate the over boosting issue. None of that happened in my case. No matter where I moved the sub, reran Audessy, and still the problem existed.

After 50-60 times of running Audyssey, moving my subs, tweaking the levels on the receiver and sub, I got frustrated enough to call ED; eventually replacing my sub.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyvaz View Post

I wasn't going to comment because I have since sold the a2-300 because I wanted nothing else to do with ED's products. But I really HATE when ED's fanboys, reps, or former employees (Chris Schempp) quote me on only the PART of my posts that help ED's reputation.

What Chris Schempp failed to also quote was that Alex told me via online chate (which I saved to a word doc) that he was 99% sure that Audessy over worked my sub. And since that was the case, the warranty would be voided.

So taking Alex's position in the sub-woofer market, I took for granted that he was being honest and truthful. He probably wanted me to purchase another sub from them. Instead, I purchased an HSU VTF-3. And I couldn't be happier. No problems whatsoever. So ED lost a long time customer (5-6 years since before they got into the HT game) and I will never recommend them to any family, friends, customers that I install systems for.

Picture this...I have a customer spending $10-15k on a HT install including equipment. Down the line they have issues with their ED sub, and I can't get it resolved for them in a timely manner. How would I expect my customer to react? They would be extremely disappointed and would NEVER recommend me to their family and friends most likely. So ED's lack of professionalism lately would impact my business. That's not going to happen with me. They have lost me for good.

Ya I'm in same boat I used them for three subs last year for customers of mine and would not use them again. In my business I can't have anyone other than me that I can't count on. I do use them in my own theater but I build the DIY. I just ordered another dual 13av.v2 to match one I built last year and of course the box is done and I'm waiting on amp!!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

Voted "Yes, but serviced to orignal condition". My A3-300's AMP died shortly after purchase. eD replaced it right away. The service was cordial and prompt. However, becuase of this incident, I went with Epik Sentinel as the second sub instead of a setup of dual A3-300's as originally planned.

Now, after only two years, the replacement amp failed again, while the Sentinel has been performing well without a glitch during the same two year period. While I don't expect the amp to last forever, the idea that every couple of years you got to put in a new one does not sound right to me.

It's true that happy customers don't post, and unhappy ones tend to post more due to frustration. I also believe that all manufacturers have their share of reliability issues. Juding from posts on the forum, unless eD sells A LOT more subs than SVS, HSU, Rythmik, Epik, eD does appear to have a higher % of quality problems.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 AM

Liked: 11
Ya know I've been following eD since 05 (never owned one of their subs) and when I posted my opinions of the observations I was seeing (which is now backed up by actuall owners relaying the same) I was called a troll and much worse. I was, according to the fanbois, just bashing eD on baseless accusations blah blah blah. Yet now when owners of eD products are telling their actual experiences with eD there are no fanbois coming out of the wood work saying that it couldnt be true because eD is the greatest thing since the invention of the toaster. Nice to see me observations were spot on.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Ya know I've been following eD since 05 (never owned one of their subs) and when I posted my opinions of the observations I was seeing (which is now backed up by actuall owners relaying the same) I was called a troll and much worse. I was, according to the fanbois, just bashing eD on baseless accusations blah blah blah. Yet now when owners of eD products are telling their actual experiences with eD there are no fanbois coming out of the wood work saying that it couldnt be true because eD is the greatest thing since the invention of the toaster. Nice to see me observations were spot on.

+1

My experience mirrors your, minus the 05 part (I only started watching them a few years ago). When I noted some concerns I was labeled a heretic for having the temerity to suggest they had a troubling history, and were poised for additional problems. I was lambasted for my views, so I stopped watching the inevitable unfold. Less than 2 years later my observations now seem prescience instead. Thankfully I spent my money elsewhere.

Unlike some who have gotten burned by the situation I actually hope eD survives. They did have a high-value proposition, as well as a bit of a niche among ID companies; few other companies would customize a sub for you, and that's quite beneficial. Plus, they did a lot of their work in the US. That's huge for me.

The stories not over yet, of course, but the signs aren't encouraging. Hopefully they can mount a comeback.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM

Wow....this really is a shame. I am in the market for a modestly priced sub. Been looking at Hsu, Svs, etc.....decided one day to call E.D. a week ago. The gentleman that answered was EXTREMELY helpful and answered my billion questions great! I was very impressed with their 'green' ways and how they are built in USA and to order. Just seemed cool to me and unique compared tot he others. I was set on getting one that they no longer sell because he said they would still make it if I wanted it. For bang for the buck it couldn't be beaten.

Then I read this thread......... As is it is I still get nervous about buying gear on-line....especially an ID company (yes...I know I shouldn't....but I'm old school). After reading this....there is NO WAY I will buy that sub from them. Again.....they were GREAT to me on the phone.......but where you make and KEEP your money is after the sale and it sounds like they are having serious issues with this. While I understand people only pipe up when there is a problem....... but other than Outlaw taking a while to get the EX models back in stock....and that's not a bad thing!!....I have not read ANYTHING negative about any of the other major ID companies...

Looks like I'll be waiting for the Outlaw EX to come back in stock or go for the PB12NSD .......
Old 02-25-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

Wow....this really is a shame. I am in the market for a modestly priced sub. Been looking at Hsu, Svs, etc.....decided one day to call E.D. a week ago. The gentleman that answered was EXTREMELY helpful and answered my billion questions great! I was very impressed with their 'green' ways and how they are built in USA and to order. Just seemed cool to me and unique compared tot he others. I was set on getting one that they no longer sell because he said they would still make it if I wanted it. For bang for the buck it couldn't be beaten.

Then I read this thread......... As is it is I still get nervous about buying gear on-line....especially an ID company (yes...I know I shouldn't....but I'm old school). After reading this....there is NO WAY I will buy that sub from them. Again.....they were GREAT to me on the phone.......but where you make and KEEP your money is after the sale and it sounds like they are having serious issues with this. While I understand people only pipe up when there is a problem....... but other than Outlaw taking a while to get the EX models back in stock....and that's not a bad thing!!....I have not read ANYTHING negative about any of the other major ID companies...

Looks like I'll be waiting for the Outlaw EX to come back in stock or go for the PB12NSD .......

Waiting for the Outlaw EX to come back in stock would be a smart move. Serious bang for the buck.

The thing about eD is that they will tell you want you want to hear, and if you order custom, you could be waiting much longer than what they tell you over the phone.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM

.......and one more thing:

While I am not always a fan of polls.....I too find it VERY odd that the owner and workers of ED voted on this poll......

I know "free world", "public forum", "they also use their subs so why not?".....blah blah blah...... Simply put....stop voting to make yourself look better....deal with the issues, you need an over-haul somewhere.....
Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Waiting for the Outlaw EX to come back in stock would be a smart move. Serious bang for the buck.

The thing about eD is that they will tell you want you want to hear, and if you order custom, you could be waiting much longer than what they tell you over the phone.

Yep....I think that's what I'm going to do. I'm pretty patient so I may even wait for them to go on sale later this year or for a B stock to show up. Love the Svs.....but just a bit over my price range.

As for Ed.....he did tell me that it would take two weeks which was fine.....but to hear that they take MUCH longer than that, it really made me wonder how long it would take to get a problem fixed had one occurred...
Old 02-25-2012, 12:28 PM

Liked: 25
I don't understand Ed's always out of stock on amps? I think I would source another company or multiple company's for this major component in a home sub? Hard to sell powered subs without the power? Is Alex the owner of this company?