Elemental Designs amp failures - Page 8 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Has your eD amp failed within 1 year?
No 0 0%
Yes, but was serviced to original condition timely 0 0%
Yes, and I'm not satisfied with eD's service 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 223 Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thatswhat came in mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 223 Old 11-12-2012, 08:12 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12 View Post

Thatswhat came in mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksRock View Post

That sub would work for sure, it's actually the same driver eD was using as an OEM driver for the last couple years.

You guys are referring to this correct? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=295-204
post #213 of 223 Old 11-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Liked: 17
Thats the one. I think you could find somthing better for the money. I alway thought mine bottomed out too easy and this is why.
post #214 of 223 Old 11-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

The voice coil config has nothing to do with the output or sound quality...
You will get the most utilization of the amp's capability (all else being equal) running a lower impedence configuration. that is, 4 ohms will be louder noticeably than 8 ohms. You may notice on amplifier ratings the watts are higher at lower impedence levels. Sure you can try adjusting the input level to compensate for a driver with higher impedence but at some point you will run out of headroom elsewhere (preamp, etc).
post #215 of 223 Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminbass View Post

You will get the most utilization of the amp's capability (all else being equal) running a lower impedence configuration. that is, 4 ohms will be louder noticeably than 8 ohms. You may notice on amplifier ratings the watts are higher at lower impedence levels. Sure you can try adjusting the input level to compensate for a driver with higher impedence but at some point you will run out of headroom elsewhere (preamp, etc).
Yes, I meant assuming the same impedance... Of course if you run the amp at 8 ohms you will have less output due to the lack of power. Every HT subwoofer plate amp I've ever seen is designed to run at 4 ohms.
post #216 of 223 Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan View Post

So, based on feedback in this thread, I decided to proactively replace the sub in mine to increase the chances of extended amp life. I bought the above referenced T3 Audio T.200 12" sub. I swapped out the the subs and noticed right away that the T3 sub was much lighter. Once installed, it doesn't have anywhere near the output my original sub did at similar levels. One note is that the T3 is a SVC. The ED 13Kv.2 is DVC. Anyway, I'm certainly not content with the T3 but don't want to take unnecessary risks if these ED subs are known to be a weak point. Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

im surprised at your results. that is not consistent with others that have tried that speaker. but then again, i do not know what cabinet you have, and you also did not mention what amp you have either. is it leaking air anywhere ? good and sealed up ?

weight of the speaker has little to do with how well it performs. learned that a long time ago when i tried a super lightweight Morel with a neodymium magnet. take for instance, a massive JL W7, or a TC Sounds Epic, and put it in a less than optimal cabinet, and give it 300 watts. pretty weak. now put it in an optimal cabinet and give it 1000 watts RMS. comes alive. point is, most massive speakers are not for low watt applications. you may be surprised on how wimpy of a speaker is required for say... 300 watts. speaker, cabinet, and power matching is more important than anything. i have heard subs built on an extreme budget, that are louder and sound better than ones that are extremely expensive but not optimal.

initial tests on the eight T3 audio's in a half finished ported cabinet on 600 watts RMS says i may have screwed up... it is way overkill. biggrin.gif with two LT500's, i may only use it at half volume max. when it is all said and done, i'll post pics. lets just say that four T3's on one LT500 would have been plenty for my 13,000+ cu/ft room. so far, $320 invested. Klipsch junk moved to the garage stereo. biggrin.gif
post #217 of 223 Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Yes, I meant assuming the same impedance... Of course if you run the amp at 8 ohms you will have less output due to the lack of power. Every HT subwoofer plate amp I've ever seen is designed to run at 4 ohms.

correct. however, some amplifier designs have a constant output regardless of load. you still cannot run them lower than recommended though. they blow up just like any other amp. biggrin.gif

but yeah, on these eD plate amps, and all the other plates i work on, 4 ohms. you can run them on two ohms, but the amp will need repair within minutes. biggrin.gif

point is, does not matter if you have a quad 1 ohm speaker, dual 2 or 8 ohm, or a single 4 ohm. it all equals the same when wired to 4 ohms.
post #218 of 223 Old 11-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveds50 View Post

correct. however, some amplifier designs have a constant output regardless of load. you still cannot run them lower than recommended though. they blow up just like any other amp. biggrin.gif
but yeah, on these eD plate amps, and all the other plates i work on, 4 ohms. you can run them on two ohms, but the amp will need repair within minutes. biggrin.gif
point is, does not matter if you have a quad 1 ohm speaker, dual 2 or 8 ohm, or a single 4 ohm. it all equals the same when wired to 4 ohms.
How well would an LT.200 run at 3 ohms? I only ask because the original sub in my A2-300 is a dual 6 ohm voice coil sub, and it was wired in series, which explains the lack out output. I'm wondering if I wired it in paralell at 3 ohms, would it be ok on that amp? I don't wanna damage the amp and have to have it repaired.
post #219 of 223 Old 11-13-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:

How well would an LT.200 run at 3 ohms? I only ask because the original sub in my A2-300 is a dual 6 ohm voice coil sub, and it was wired in series, which explains the lack out output. I'm wondering if I wired it in paralell at 3 ohms, would it be ok on that amp? I don't wanna damage the amp and have to have it repaired.

well... you could find out... biggrin.gif

personally, i wouldn't try it though.

if i had a 3 ohm speaker, i would try it here with one of the LT200's for you, but i dont. my guess is it would run really hot if it did not blow up.

strange that they would run a 12 ohm load... they must have gotten a special deal on those or something. and yes, that must be pretty weak with an LT200.
post #220 of 223 Old 11-14-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

im surprised at your results. that is not consistent with others that have tried that speaker. but then again, i do not know what cabinet you have, and you also did not mention what amp you have either. is it leaking air anywhere ? good and sealed up ?

I'm not, if he actually had a 13Kv.2 rather than one of the end of life drivers he had a pretty good sub in there. Unfortunately, even the wayback machine won't pull data on the 13Kv.2s frown.gif

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
post #221 of 223 Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Schempp View Post

I'm not, if he actually had a 13Kv.2 rather than one of the end of life drivers he had a pretty good sub in there. Unfortunately, even the wayback machine won't pull data on the 13Kv.2s frown.gif
The sub definitely says "13Kv.2 Dual 2" on it. Should I not be worried about that sub damaging my amp after all?
post #222 of 223 Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:

well... you could find out... biggrin.gif
personally, i wouldn't try it though.
if i had a 3 ohm speaker, i would try it here with one of the LT200's for you, but i dont. my guess is it would run really hot if it did not blow up.
strange that they would run a 12 ohm load... they must have gotten a special deal on those or something. and yes, that must be pretty weak with an LT200.

Yes, it was very weak but now with the LT.300 I got from you on ebay, and the 12W3V3-4 it sounds amazing now, much louder and great sound quality. I think I'll not risk damaging the amp, and just leave the old sub alone for now.
post #223 of 223 Old 11-14-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by IA_Chiefs_fan View Post

The sub definitely says "13Kv.2 Dual 2" on it. Should I not be worried about that sub damaging my amp after all?

I wouldn't be. Prior to starting at eD I had a pair of those running on about 900W a piece in my car for about a year total...no issues with the amp or the drivers.

Chris Schempp
How to post links to Amazon.com Products.
PSN - Mandos_eD
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page