Sub suggestions for bedroom home theater $500 cap. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 09-29-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm installing a 5.1 surround system for a bedroom home theater on a modest budget. The room dimensions are about 15 x 12. I've already purchased and installed these inexpensive in-wall speakers for all 5 positions (WAF). MonoPrice 4101. I've got them paired with a yamaha RX-V867. I've run all the cabling in wall and have all the equipment in a remote walk-in closet. My total spent so far including speaker and HDMI cabling, wall jacks, is $750.00.

I've been disappointed with the bass being produced by the system (spoiled by my real theater) and came to realize these speakers are going to need a subwoofer to supplement them.

This system is being used mostly at night when the kids are asleep at lower volume for movie watching (very little music). So I'm not looking to shake my walls, just add a little bass that system seems to be lacking. There are really only two listening positions (in the bed). Placement positions is somewhat limited since it's a small room and bedroom furniture layout. Positions are front left corner and both back corners.

It seems like I should be able to do this for around $500 or less shipped.

I've been compiling a list of sub's in my budget and would appreciate recommendations from this list or suggestions I may not have run across. If you think dual on these less expensive ones is overkill for my needs I'd love to come in under my budget as well.

dual Energy S10.3 for $440 shipped from NewEgg.
dual BIC F12 for $367 shipped from Amazon.
dual Klipsch Sub10 for $500 shipped from vanns.
Dual Polk PSW505 $400 shipped from Amazon.
Single HSU VTF-1 $445 Shipped from HSU.

Thank you for participating in another one of the endless subwoofer suggestion threads and hopefully I didn't make this thread longer than necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-29-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Outlaw Audio did have an LFM-1 Compact listed on b-stock for $349 shipped. That sub is equivalent to the VTF-1. Would more than do the job for a bedroom system.

post #3 of 21 Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Also check out Audiogon if you don't mind used equipment. You can get some great deals on there.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

How about dual STF-1's or a single VTF-2 (12" for HT bass) or even a B-stock Outlaw LFM-1 Plus - first two options would exceed $500
post #5 of 21 Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 450
From those I would go for the VTF1. I think the Elemental Designs A3-250 would have more output than the ones you listed, and also the CraigSUB 10.2, both of which are in your budget.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would go with shadyj's suggestion, and go with the VTF-1. Reason being I've owned
that sub (actually 2) and of all the subs I've owned you get a lot of sub for the money.

vardo
post #7 of 21 Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The VTF-1 or dual Energy subs get my vote.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-30-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

I was hoping to get some recommendations tailored to my listening environment.

Small room,
Moderate listening levels,
supplementing satellites with poor bass response.

Do these needs push me towards ported, or sealed. 8, 10, or 15". Servo, etc...

Does the listening environment have an impact on which subs you would recommend, or is everyone just throwing out their favorite brands?

I really appreciate all the responses, but it doesn't really seem like there is a concensus so I'm trying to understand if there is a reason behind the various suggestions that should push me towards a particular rec. Thank you for your time.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

The one pattern I did notice emerging is that in my price range it seems people are recommending a single higher end sub rather than dual lower priced ones.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-30-2011, 09:49 AM

usually subs are recommended based on room size and use. One cant do much about your listening environment..aka room, without measurements and then treatment to fix.

Since you have satellites ensure your sub has a freq response till at least 120Hz. Specs defined by HSU, Rythmik, SVS, Outlaw and few others are considered to be reliable
post #11 of 21 Old 09-30-2011, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I think a X-Ref 10 would be great for your room size. I have bought 2 X-Ref 12's thinking I would need both to power my 18x16 HT. Well I just needed one so I have a X-Ref 12 for sale now. Put it this way. It has enough output that my neighbor who lives 2 doors down can feel it. During the new X-Men movie, it felt like my couch was getting ready for take off.
post #12 of 21 Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdahnert View Post

The one pattern I did notice emerging is that in my price range it seems people are recommending a single higher end sub rather than dual lower priced ones.

Quite frankly, it would be a waste of money to have dual subs in a 15x12 room where the listening volume will be consistently low. Not even sure you need a "high quality" sub to do what you want, but I'll go with it...

A number of good units have been mentioned already but their size/performance are probably more then your needs dictate, so research them diligently. Some of your original choices are worthy contenders, and may very well fit the bill. By going with a single you can save yourself $$ too, which isn't a bad thing.

If I were going to rate them, I would do so like this:

HSU VTF-1
BIC F12
Polk PSW505
Energy S10.3
Klipsch Sub10

Others will undoubtedly have a different order -- based upon their own preferences and experience -- but I would spend my own money in that order.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #13 of 21 Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Quite frankly, it would be a waste of money to have dual subs in a 15x12 room where the listening volume will be consistently low. Not even sure you need a "high quality" sub to do what you want, but I'll go with it...

A number of good units have been mentioned already but their size/performance are probably more then your needs dictate, so research them diligently. Some of your original choices are worthy contenders, and may very well fit the bill. By going with a single you can save yourself $$ too, which isn't a bad thing.

If I were going to rate them, I would do so like this:

HSU VTF-1
BIC F12
Polk PSW505
Energy S10.3
Klipsch Sub10

Others will undoubtedly have a different order -- based upon their own preferences and experience -- but I would spend my own money in that order.

My order would be:

HSU VTF-1
Energy S-10.3
Polk PSW505
Klipsch Sub 10
Bic F12

I put the Bic last because it doesn't get below 30 Hz and it doesn't hit the higher freaquencys well at all. It is a decent budget SUB but personally, I don't think it sounds that good. One of my neighbors has one in his HT and I was not impressed. Then again, maybe I'm just used to my X-Ref 12
post #14 of 21 Old 09-30-2011, 11:15 PM

From what you listed HSU hands down.
post #15 of 21 Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I put the Bic last because it doesn't get below 30 Hz and it doesn't hit the higher freaquencys well at all.

Not certain what you're basing that assessment on, but the F-12 has a FR of 25Hz - 200Hz. That's well below 30Hz, and goes pretty high too. Maybe you were thinking of a different model?

post #16 of 21 Old 10-01-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I agree with the Hsu as first choice from what's been listed so far. An Epik Legend is a little more $$ and will integrate well with your in wall satellites due to its excellent midbass output above 120hz (which is where you'll likely crossover).
It will also dig down to 20 hz with the room gain you'll get in that space. Good luck in your search.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-01-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Not certain what you're basing that assessment on, but the F-12 has a FR of 25Hz - 200Hz. That's well below 30Hz, and goes pretty high too. Maybe you were thinking of a different model?

Just because it can go up to 200Hz doesn't mean it's going to sound good doing so. I know what the paper specs are but I highly doubt it can play below 30Hz at any significant DB. I will say that for the price, it's not to shabby. Just don't expect much from a $200 sub.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just because it can go up to 200Hz doesn't mean it's going to sound good doing so. I know what the paper specs are but I highly doubt it can play below 30Hz at any significant DB. I will say that for the price, it's not to shabby. Just don't expect much from a $200 sub.

Agreed; I never said it was great sub, but for it's price there are certainly a lot of people who seem to like them. That was primarily why I rated it higher then some of the others.

It's listed spec's quote 25Hz, so unless there's something other then empirical data I'm not sure there's sufficient evidence to dispute BIC's claim though.

post #19 of 21 Old 10-01-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have heard this before. While I havent personally heard the BIC F12, I have read a number of posts about the F12's muddy performance above 60-80hz. Also if i'm not mistaken, the more expensive BIC PL200 couldn't hit much below 30hz when tested by Ricci.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the F12 enclosure a bit undersized to have flat response down to 25hz? I would love to see something like Allsion AL10 be tested against the F12. With its oversized enclosure, I would suspect a more linear, deeper respose curve despite it only being a 10" budget sub.

What do you guys think? Two of these could work well in a bedroom and are less expensive than the other choices.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=309-177
post #20 of 21 Old 10-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

AL10 is no longer available - it is not coming back according to Parts Express
post #21 of 21 Old 10-01-2011, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 View Post

AL10 is no longer available - it is not coming back according to Parts Express

Didn't notice that. Why don't they remove the listing then ... It looked like a good solid budget sub.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page