Vintage Fried Subwoofer attempting to produce high and mids as well as lows - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recent purchased a vintage fried brand subwoofer known exclusively as: 'The Fried Subwoofer". It is supposed to have a "series stepped crossover at 100hz" and it has outputs for two speakers. So theoretically it should be sending all the sounds above 100hz to the speakers? Right now if i hook up just the subwoofer and play a song it attempts to reproduce ALL the sounds from the highs to the lows. Is the crossover damaged or even bypassed? and how do i check?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleness View Post

I recent purchased a vintage fried brand subwoofer known exclusively as: 'The Fried Subwoofer". It is supposed to have a "series stepped crossover at 100hz" and it has outputs for two speakers. So theoretically it should be sending all the sounds above 100hz to the speakers? Right now if i hook up just the subwoofer and play a song it attempts to reproduce ALL the sounds from the highs to the lows. Is the crossover damaged or even bypassed? and how do i check?

Can you set a crossover in your receiver to send only the bass below 80-100 Hz to the sub?
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I assume this is the company that made your subwoofer. I would suggest contacting them with model number and your question. Do you have anything hooked up to the speaker outputs of the sub?

http://www.friedproducts.com/index.html
post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

My receiver has no crossover in it. I contacted the company, and they don't reply. I called them and they don't answer.

My question is simply this. If a subwoofer is attempting to produce mids and highs is something wrong with the crossover? Should this be happening?
post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

My receiver has no crossover in it. I contacted the company, and they don't reply. I called them and they don't answer.

My question is simply this. If a subwoofer is attempting to produce mids and highs is something wrong with the crossover? Should this be happening?

Fried is such an unknown entity that it is hard to say with any degree of certainty that the sub is defective.

The crossovers in receivers and subwoofers do not have brick-wall filters. So, it isn't uncommon for people to be able to hears voices from a sub. But, since we don't know if that sub was designed as part of a system with Fried main speakers, it is very difficult to know exactly what is going on.

Having said all that, all the higher frequency content coming through the sub is certainly not what people want. Have you tried putting the sub between your main speakers, or under either your left or right main speaker? That would minimize localization.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM

What model of subs are they? I think the connections might be reversed on the binding posts.

Voices are reproduced from the subwoofers. I have built several pairs of the Fried Model O4 -O6 T-lines subs that use the quasi 2nd order series crossovers..
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page