AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofart View Post

Great thread... thanks!

For Canadians, Precision Acoustics makes a decent sub for under $200.

http://precision-acoustics.com/hds10.html

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...656379fc97en02

Added. Thanks.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1203 Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

In case anyone is interested, there was another thread that was started by EndersShadow that list different budget categories. Click here

Son-of-a-gun, I missed that. Before I created this thread I did a few different searches, reasoning that someone must have already created a thread like this. Much to my surprise there wasn't any matches, so that's why I started it. Guess either the search function has issues, or I wasn't using the correct terms.

It appears as though EndersShadow is no longer updating his thread though -- the last entry is about 7 months ago -- so I'll probably keep this one going.

post #33 of 1203 Old 10-09-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Son-of-a-gun, I missed that. Before I created this thread I did a few different searches, reasoning that someone must have already created a thread like this. Much to my surprise there wasn't any matches, so that's why I started it. Guess either the search function has issues, or I wasn't using the correct terms.

It appears as though EndersShadow is no longer updating his thread though -- the last entry is about 7 months ago -- so I'll probably keep this one going.

Please do!! I'm in the market for new subwoofers. I check regularly for updates and or some mini review of the subs in this thread. I have 2 ...euh, I'm embarrassed...2 PSW10 and I want to upgrade bad but I don't have access to most of the good stuff as I am in Canada and it really is unpleasant to pay $200 of shipping charge.

cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 1203 Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

Please do!! I'm in the market for new subwoofers. I check regularly for updates and or some mini review of the subs in this thread. I have 2 ...euh, I'm embarrassed...2 PSW10 and I want to upgrade bad but I don't have access to most of the good stuff as I am in Canada and it really is unpleasant to pay $200 of shipping charge.

That s#cks; seeing all kinds of great products, yet being unable to get a hold of them. I certainly know what you mean; I feel the same way about a number of the speakers over in Europe. They make some absolutely stunning ones, yet there's no way of getting them in the US.

Just for the heck of it I did a quick check of amazon.ca and was able to find Klipsch, Velodyne and BIC, some of which were reasonably priced, so there might be a least a few decent options to choose from.

post #35 of 1203 Old 10-12-2011, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Infinity has a couple that would meet the price range:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu...8443034&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primu...8443034&sr=8-4

I am considering getting these but should probably start a thread asking for people's opinions of them.
post #36 of 1203 Old 10-12-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post

They hit the driver size and price target, so that's good. Do you know if those prices are what you can get them for pretty much all the time? If so, I'll add them to the list.

Quote:

I am considering getting these but should probably start a thread asking for people's opinions of them.

I would certainly appreciate you handling it that way...

post #37 of 1203 Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:

They hit the driver size and price target, so that's good. Do you know if those prices are what you can get them for pretty much all the time? If so, I'll add them to the list.

I have only been looking for a couple of weeks but they have been that price the whole time. Stupid Australian Pink Floyd concert and their awesome bass made me realize I need a subwoofer upgrade big time
post #38 of 1203 Old 10-12-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Added. Thanks.

post #39 of 1203 Old 10-12-2011, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 29
If the question is, is there a sub for under $300 that I would recommend, my answer would be no (unless used).

The cheapest sub I would recommend would be the Emotiva 12 which is on sale for $379.
post #40 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a little toilet pysch 101....I wonder if the people who always insist on recommending something out of a given price range are subconsciously trying to justify some astronomical sum of cash they spent on a subwoofer.

Bobby Heenan: I could've been President...if I wanted to take a pay cut and move into a bad neighborhood.
post #41 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

If the question is, is there a sub for under $300 that I would recommend, my answer would be no (unless used).

Nope, that wasn't the question. The intent of this thread is merely informational. The question about budget subs gets asked on a continuous basis. I created this merely as a reference, someplace people could go to get a list of available options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

The cheapest sub I would recommend would be the Emotiva 12 which is on sale for $379.

I actually auditioned the Ultra 12 in my house for a few weeks, and at that price it's a steal. Based upon the fact they have them listed as "clearance" suggests they're discontinuing the model (that's precisely what they did with the Ultra 10, before it's demise). Shame too, because the X-Ref series is too expensive for what you get.

post #42 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck's dad View Post

here's a little toilet pysch 101....i wonder if the people who always insist on recommending something out of a given price range are subconsciously trying to justify some astronomical sum of cash they spent on a subwoofer.

Interesting perspective, perfect for a budget subwoofer thread...

post #43 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Nope, that wasn't the question. The intent of this thread is merely informational. The question about budget subs gets asked on a continuous basis. I created this merely as a reference, someplace people could go to get a list of available options.

I actually auditioned the Ultra 12 in my house for a few weeks, and at that price it's a steal. Based upon the fact they have them listed as "clearance" suggests they're discontinuing the model (that's precisely what they did with the Ultra 10, before it's demise). Shame too, because the X-Ref series is too expensive for what you get.

Yep...I am in the market, and think i am going to get an ultra 12, talked to emotiva yesterday, and they are going to lay the ultra 12 down...
post #44 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interestedparty View Post

Yep...I am in the market, and think i am going to get an ultra 12, talked to emotiva yesterday, and they are going to lay the ultra 12 down...

aw hell...just pulled the trigger, i am not going to find a better deal at that price

post #45 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interestedparty View Post

That would be an incredibly boneheaded move on Emotiva's part. They really need to have something in that price point, otherwise they concede the "starter" market to other companies. Doing that means they lose current sales, and most likely future ones as well. I wonder why they're shooting themselves in the foot, unless they have another more budget friendly sub looming on the horizon.

You made a smart move by picking one up for that price. I can tell you from personal experience that it does take a good 15-20 hours before it loosens up - at the beginning the sound is a bit disappointing. Once it's broken in though I think you'll find it to be a very good sub, especially if you like to play it on the loud side (which the Ultra 12 excels at).

post #46 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:

That would be an incredibly boneheaded move on Emotiva's part. They really need to have something in that price point, otherwise they concede the "starter" market to other companies. Doing that means they lose current sales, and most likely future ones as well. I wonder why they're shooting themselves in the foot, unless they have another more budget friendly sub looming on the horizon.

You made a smart move by picking one up for that price. I can tell you from personal experience that it does take a good 15-20 hours before it loosens up - at the beginning the sound is a bit disappointing. Once it's broken in though I think you'll find it to be a very good sub, especially if you like to play it on the loud side (which the Ultra 12 excels at).

I agree..i hope they dont...they have a nice niche with this sub....thanks for the break in heads up.....i will post back with impressions....
post #47 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Looks like Amazon dropped the price of the PSW505 to $202.96 today, that pushed me over the edge and I just ordered one. Yesterday it was $229. Also do all subwoofers have a break in period, or just the Emotiva ones?
post #48 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks like Amazon dropped the price of the PSW505 to $202.96 today, that pushed me over the edge and I just ordered one. Yesterday it was $229. Also do all subwoofers have a break in period, or just the Emotiva ones?

That's a killer price - nice find! I'm sure you're going to really like that one.

All subwoofers need to be broken in, but the duration of time is dependent on a number of factors. Out of the box they'll often sound weak and thin, which is one of the tell-tale signs that it's still brand new (or it's a POS, but that's not a concern in this case).

When doing reviews I generally don't start any critical listening until at least a dozen hours. Don't blast it right off the bat though - be a little conservative. By the time you get to around 10 hours you can start to use it like you normally would. It probably won't be fully broken by that point, but close enough to start having some fun.

post #49 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Not sure if this one fits the list. The Velodyne VX-11. The listed MSRP is over $300, but it can usually be found for at or below $200 without much effort.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #50 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Not sure if this one fits the list. The Velodyne VX-11. The listed MSRP is over $300, but it can usually be found for at or below $200 without much effort.

It fits. The only real criteria is if you can buy it more often then not for less then $300. I wasn't able to find any place selling it for $200 but I did locate a bunch of places that had it for under $300, so it's a valid candidate. Thanks.

post #51 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Looks like Amazon dropped the price of the PSW505 to $202.96 today, that pushed me over the edge and I just ordered one. Yesterday it was $229.

Newegg is selling them from $190 right now!
post #52 of 1203 Old 10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

It fits. The only real criteria is if you can buy it more often then not for less then $300. I wasn't able to find any place selling it for $200 but I did locate a bunch of places that had it for under $300, so it's a valid candidate. Thanks.

Vanns has it for $190.

Your questions are answered:

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #53 of 1203 Old 10-14-2011, 07:14 PM

Klipsch RW-10d is $200 @ newegg right now. I had an RW-8 for a number of years...it was excellent....10 inch version probably good too.

Bobby Heenan: I could've been President...if I wanted to take a pay cut and move into a bad neighborhood.
post #54 of 1203 Old 10-14-2011, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck's Dad View Post

Klipsch RW-10d is $200 @ newegg right now. I had an RW-8 for a number of years...it was excellent....10 inch version probably good too.

After doing a bit of research I'm not sure if this fit's all the criteria.

At newegg the sale is only for a few more days, at which point it appears as though it will go back to the regular price. I also checked Amazon, Vanns, Crutchfield and Onecall. All except Amazon list this sub as discontinued and no longer available, so perhaps Newegg is simply liquidating existing stock.

I'll keep my eye on it, but I'm not sure if this can be added to the list.

post #55 of 1203 Old 10-14-2011, 08:18 PM

That's fine....I figured since new egg changes their prices as often as they do...I thought I'd mention it.

post #56 of 1203 Old 10-15-2011, 03:05 AM

Polk DSW Pro 660WI sub sells for $349 when on sale from New Egg. Usually at least every other weekend.
post #57 of 1203 Old 10-15-2011, 07:22 PM

post #58 of 1203 Old 10-15-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbooker82 View Post

They are on sale now.

DSW Pro 550WI for $299
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0226&Tpk=550wi

DSW Pro 660WI for $349
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0227&Tpk=660wi

The 550WI makes the price cut off, so I'll keep my eye on that one. If it seems to be on sale more often then not I'll add it.

post #59 of 1203 Old 10-15-2011, 10:13 PM

It seems to be about every other weekend the DSW PRO xxxWi line up goes on sale.
post #60 of 1203 Old 10-20-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From now on whenever I add or remove something from the list in the first post I'll make specific note of it. This way everyone following the thread will be able to determine what's changed.

Added
Dayton SUB 80 and SUB 100
Pyle PDSUB8A and PDSUB12A

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Aperion Audio , Dayton Audio Sub 800 8 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt , Hsu Research , Martin Logan , Klipsch , Klipsch Synergy Sub 10 Subwoofer Speaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Infinity Ps 12 Subwoofer , Subwoofers , Acoustic Audio , Acoustic Audio Psw 8 300 Watt 8 Audiophile Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Acoustic Audio Rwsub 8 300 Watt 8 Home Theater Series Powered Subwoofer , Scosche Hdw12 Subwoofer 12 , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Polk Audio Tsi500 Black 3 1 Tower Speaker System Free Psw 110 , Martinlogan Dynamo 300 Home Theater And Stereo Subwoofer , Klipsch Kw 100 120v Subwoofer , Jamo Sub210 8 Powered Subwoofer , Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw M8 Na 1200 Watt Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Tsi500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page