AVS Forum banner
588K views 3K replies 583 participants last post by  jmbrad 
#1 · (Edited)
I've often seen requests from people who are looking to purchase budget subwoofers. You can count me among those who tries to respond and help those folks out, but after replying to the hundredth such question I got to thinking; exactly how many companies are out their making budget subs? Intrigued, I decided to try and find out for myself.

First I had to decide exactly what constituted a 'budget' subwoofer. After going back over numerous posts I selected $300 as the ceiling, so anything that costs less qualifies. I also decided that the $300 price should be what you can reasonably expect to get the sub for, not it's "suggested" retail price. In other words, what most people can rightly assume to pay without the need to wait for some "clearance sale" or restricted holiday event.

Since most of the budget sub questions are asked about HT systems I original decided that a 10" driver would be the minimum. After going back and forth though I decided to include subwoofers with 8" drivers as well. Having a driver size and budget target I began scouring the internet. The list below is what I can up with, sorted alphabetically by manufacturer.

UPDATE 3/3/16: Up until today I had included subwoofers even when the manufacturers website could not be found. I've since decided if they aren't interested in having the general public know who they are that I wouldn't list them here. All links to products like that have been removed.

UPDATE 9/2/16: For the longest time I had included a disclaimer about how this thread was intended strictly to highlight available products, not debate their relative merits or ask questions specific to your own individual circumstances. For those posts I created the Budget Subwoofers Discussion thread, but the balance between the two never quite worked out as originally planned so the disclaimer has now been removed.

Acoustic Audio
* PSW Series

BIC America
* RtR 12s
* RtR EV1200
* F12
* H-100II (Review)
* Venturi V80
* Venturi V1020
* Venturi V1220
* PL-200 II (Review)

Boston Acoustics
* CS Sub10 II

Cambridge Audio
* Sirocco SX-120

Cerwin-Vega
* VE-28S

Crystal Acoustics
* TX-8SUB

Dayton Audio
* SUB-800
* SUB-1000
* SUB-1200 (Review)
* SUB-1500

Elac
* S10.2

Energy
* ESW-C8
* ESW-M8
* Power 10
* Power 12

Fluance
* DB10
* DB12

JA Audio
* JA-SS10

Jamo (Owners Thread)
* J 10 SUB
* J 12 SUB

JBL (Owners Thread)
* Stage A100P
* Studio SUB 250P

Klipsch
* Synergy SUB-12
* K-100SW

Monoprice (Owners Thread)
* 8248 (8")
* 14567 (8")
* 605999 (10")
* 9723 (12")
{these subwoofers don't actually have a name, just a part number}

Outdoor Speaker Depot (OSD) (Owners Thread)
* SS8
* Nero DualX8
* Nero TubeBass10
* PS10 (Review)
* PS12

Pioneer
* SW-8MK2

Polk Audio
* PSW110
* DSW PRO 440

Pyle
* PDSUB8A

Rockville
* APM10W

Sony
* SA-CS9

TeleData Express
* TDX-SUB8
* TDX-SUB10
* TDX-SUB12

Theater Solutions (Owners Thread)
* SUB Series

Yamaha
* YST-SW215
* YST-SW216
* YST-SW315

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21076593

It fits. The only real criteria is if you can buy it more often then not for less then $300. I wasn't able to find any place selling it for $200 but I did locate a bunch of places that had it for under $300, so it's a valid candidate. Thanks.

Vanns has it for $190.

#53 ·
Klipsch RW-10d is $200 @ newegg right now. I had an RW-8 for a number of years...it was excellent....10 inch version probably good too.

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck's Dad /forum/post/21082385

Klipsch RW-10d is $200 @ newegg right now. I had an RW-8 for a number of years...it was excellent....10 inch version probably good too.

After doing a bit of research I'm not sure if this fit's all the criteria.

At newegg the sale is only for a few more days, at which point it appears as though it will go back to the regular price. I also checked Amazon, Vanns, Crutchfield and Onecall. All except Amazon list this sub as discontinued and no longer available, so perhaps Newegg is simply liquidating existing stock.

I'll keep my eye on it, but I'm not sure if this can be added to the list.

#55 ·
That's fine....I figured since new egg changes their prices as often as they do...I thought I'd mention it.

#58 ·
#60 ·
From now on whenever I add or remove something from the list in the first post I'll make specific note of it. This way everyone following the thread will be able to determine what's changed.

Added

Dayton SUB 80 and SUB 100

Pyle PDSUB8A and PDSUB12A

#61 ·
There's these new listings on Amazon from some company called OSD whose claim to fame is making outdoor speakers.

OSD Audio PS12 High Powered 175W Premium 12-Inch Home Theatre Subwoofer

They have the "premium" model in 12 and 10" and a lesser (down firing) version for less.

The specs on the 12" premium model are quite fascinating.

It is rated from 5 (yep 5hz) t0 180hz -3db. All for less than $250. :)

http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-PS12...162444&sr=1-27

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 /forum/post/0

There's these new listings on Amazon from some company called OSD whose claim to fame is making outdoor speakers.

They have the "premium" model in 12 and 10" and a lesser (down firing) version for less.

http://www.amazon.com/OSD-Audio-PS12...162444&sr=1-27

You don't believe that do you

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 /forum/post/21106640

It does indeed say 5Hz. What a phenomenal feat of engineering!
My guess is that's supposed to be 50Hz though, and I think I found the missing 0; instead of "to" 180Hz your wrote "t0", so it's all your fault.

OSD does make a few different models, all of which will be added. Thanks...

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson /forum/post/21107769

It does indeed say 5Hz. What a phenomenal feat of engineering!
My guess is that's supposed to be 50Hz though, and I think I found the missing 0; instead of "to" 180Hz your wrote "t0", so it's all your fault.

OSD does make a few different models, all of which will be added. Thanks...

This obscure sub would be hard to recommend compared to known entities like BIC for about the same price. And, one could get 3 of the Monoprice 12 inch subs for the price of 1 OSD sub. The 15 X 16.5 X 15.5 dimensions are not inspiring. Maximum output at 45 Hz or higher with very very limited response below 35 hz is likely. The 2 so-called reviews are meaningless.

At least with the Monoprice sub you get what you are paying for.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/21129294

This obscure sub would be hard to recommend compared to known entities like BIC for about the same price. And, one could get 3 of the Monoprice 12 inch subs for the price of 1 OSD sub. The 15 X 16.5 X 15.5 dimensions are not inspiring. Maximum output at 45 Hz or higher with very very limited response below 35 hz is likely. The 2 so-called reviews are meaningless.

At least with the Monoprice sub you get what you are paying for.

Actually, looking at the OSD website: http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/1...ofer-ps12.html

.... it is listed as going down to 25hz. For a 12-inch ported subwoofer of that size, the specifications seem reasonable. The amp on the back looks beefy for the price.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew /forum/post/21144848

Actually, looking at the OSD website: http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/1...ofer-ps12.html

.... it is listed as going down to 25hz. For a 12-inch ported subwoofer of that size, the specifications seem reasonable. The amp on the back looks beefy for the price.

That looks like the AudioSource PSW112. The amp seems to be the exact same one too. The only difference is the controls in the back instead of on the front.

#72 ·
There is a similarity, isn't there? I'm thinking about ordering one of those OSD subs for my next review, as soon as I'm done with the XTZ (which should be this week). Perhaps I'll find out for myself what they're really like.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo101 /forum/post/21196693

Of most of the subs in this place, which of them would be best for HT and music and gaming. I have done some research and the most prominent that sticks out is the Bic F-12...any others that would be decent for all around?

Woot, I have 2 F12 on their way. I've learn on this forum that the F12 isn't suited for music but it's ok as I use my system 95% for movies and gaming.

For you, the Polk PSW505 would be my first choice followed by the Lava LSP-12. Never heard the Lava but the 505, depending on the size of your room and with proper placement and tuning can make your eyeballs vibrate. The Lava gets respect here on AVS.

My two cents

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interestedparty /forum/post/21074852

Yep...I am in the market, and think i am going to get an ultra 12, talked to emotiva yesterday, and they are going to lay the ultra 12 down...

wouldnt it be hard to repair the Ultra if it were to break down in the future since its discontinued?

and what do you guys mean its good for high volumes? what if you wanted to play it at low volumes?