AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Houston View Post
Hi, New Friends!

Is it better to post my information and request for subwoofer advice here, or should I start a new thread?

Dave
If its for a subwoofer that costs around $300 or less this is the place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1173 Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool... here's my story.

A couple of decades back, give or take a few years, I was a serious audiophile. Then life (including a wife and kids) intervened, and listening to music became a much lower priority.

I just got an HD TV, and I decided to cobble together a more modern viewing/listening experience. I recently bought a refurb Marantz SR7005 AVR from acessories4less.com.

From my audiophile days, I have a pair of Acoustat 2+2 electrostatic loudspeakers, and a highly modified Hafler power amp to run them. I know these pieces can make good music.

Somewhere along the way, I picked up a Cambridge Soundworks center channel speaker and a Polk PSW50 subwoofer. I hooked everything up, using a pair of small JBL bookshelf speakers to make a 5.1 surround setup.

Well, the speaker setup wanted the sub at +8 dB, and at any kind of volume levels, it’s making a scraping sound. I can duplicate the sound by pressing in on the top of the cone, so I think the driver is torn.

I went back and set up the speakers again without the sub, and it sounds pretty good. But when I played the attack scene from “Pearl Harbor,” I could tell something was missing without the sub.

So here I am. Here’s my key information:

Budget: I guess my budget is $500 or so. I’m having a bit of buyer’s remorse about the $700 I spent for the receiver, though, so $300 would be better.

Size requirements: For those of you who don’t remember, the Acoustats are about 20 inches wide and 7 feet ten inches tall. Any subwoofer I can afford will be visually insignificant by comparison. Still, while I can probably make a 2-foot cube work, two boxes that size might result in a loss of conjugal privileges.

Room size: Pretty big. About 22 by 28 feet the way I measure, with the back six feet of the 28 open to downstairs. The vaulted ceilings probably average 12 feet tall, so I calculate over 6000 cubic feet.

Listening habits: mostly TV and movies these days. Trues to my audiophile days, though, I expect music to sound like music. The Acoustats reproduce transients very well, so I think the sub would need to be fast, too. I generally listen at moderate volume levels, never anything like in the movie theater. When I listen to music, I tend more toward chamber music and jazz rather than 130 dB rock concerts.

Thanks for lending your expertise!

Dave
post #1173 of 1173 Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Houston View Post
Budget: I guess my budget is $500 or so. I’m having a bit of buyer’s remorse about the $700 I spent for the receiver, though, so $300 would be better.

Size requirements: For those of you who don’t remember, the Acoustats are about 20 inches wide and 7 feet ten inches tall. Any subwoofer I can afford will be visually insignificant by comparison. Still, while I can probably make a 2-foot cube work, two boxes that size might result in a loss of conjugal privileges.

Room size: Pretty big. About 22 by 28 feet the way I measure, with the back six feet of the 28 open to downstairs. The vaulted ceilings probably average 12 feet tall, so I calculate over 6000 cubic feet.

Listening habits: mostly TV and movies these days. Trues to my audiophile days, though, I expect music to sound like music. The Acoustats reproduce transients very well, so I think the sub would need to be fast, too. I generally listen at moderate volume levels, never anything like in the movie theater. When I listen to music, I tend more toward chamber music and jazz rather than 130 dB rock concerts.
Houston, we have a problem. A big one I'm afraid, and it's your room size.

First off, if you're ceilings average 12' then you're closer to 7400 ft^3 of total volume. You would need to spend probably 5x your projected budget in order to even get a decent amount of bass in a cavern that size, and that doesn't even account for the quality of the sound. To achieve output and precision it would require quite a bit more cash. Realistically it might be better not to spend anything now and try to save up enough so what you ultimately get would actually stand a change in that room. And think duals at a minimum.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Aperion Audio , Dayton Audio Sub 800 8 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt , Hsu Research , Martin Logan , Klipsch , Klipsch Synergy Sub 10 Subwoofer Speaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Infinity Ps 12 Subwoofer , Subwoofers , Acoustic Audio , Acoustic Audio Psw 8 300 Watt 8 Audiophile Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Acoustic Audio Rwsub 8 300 Watt 8 Home Theater Series Powered Subwoofer , Scosche Hdw12 Subwoofer 12 , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Polk Audio Tsi500 Black 3 1 Tower Speaker System Free Psw 110 , Martinlogan Dynamo 300 Home Theater And Stereo Subwoofer , Klipsch Kw 100 120v Subwoofer , Jamo Sub210 8 Powered Subwoofer , Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw M8 Na 1200 Watt Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Tsi500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page