List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less) - Page 42 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1231 of 1249 Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Trojita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got a Klipsch Sub-12 delivered. My Elemental Designs A2-300 sub has been broke awhile ago and I've been too lazy to try and fix it, plus I don't have much experience with the technical side of Subwoofers or wiring. I wouldn't have been able to use a sub much anyways since I was now on a 2nd floor apartment. I saw a good deal on the Klipsch. I didn't plan on buying a sub this week, but couldn't pass up the deal when I saw it. Now that I'm on a 1st floor apartment and my TV room isn't exactly facing another apartment, it's time to use a sub again. Hopefully I don't startle my neighbors too much
Trojita is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1232 of 1249 Old 11-18-2014, 04:55 PM
Newbie
 
edtiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a living room / kitchen / dinning room all on my second floor with standard 8' ceilings, hardwood floor, no walls other than exterior (less that 800SQ). Polk Monitor 70 front, 60 rear and looking to add a sub. No WAF necessary, just a large space that I'd like to make sound good for music and movies in the area setup for TV. Thoughts on doing dual Daytona Sub-1200, one Sub-1500, or trying to get something else a little more costly for like pa-150 or NGX 500? Open to suggestions for what is currently out there, just don't want to get something under powered.

THANKS!
edtiva is offline  
post #1233 of 1249 Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,765
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 419
You listed the square feet, but what we actually need is the cubic feet (HxWxD) in order to provide suggestions. For example, 800 SQ in a space with 8' ceilings equates to 6400 CF. That's a huge area, and in order to fill it with bass you'll have to spend a considerable amount of money.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #1234 of 1249 Old 11-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Newbie
 
edtiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtiva View Post
I have a living room / kitchen / dinning room all on my second floor with standard 8' ceilings, hardwood floor, no walls other than exterior (less that 800SQ). Polk Monitor 70 front, 60 rear and looking to add a sub. No WAF necessary, just a large space that I'd like to make sound good for music and movies in the area setup for TV. Thoughts on doing dual Daytona Sub-1200, one Sub-1500, or trying to get something else a little more costly for like pa-150 or NGX 500? Open to suggestions for what is currently out there, just don't want to get something under powered.

THANKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
You listed the square feet, but what we actually need is the cubic feet (HxWxD) in order to provide suggestions. For example, 800 SQ in a space with 8' ceilings equates to 6400 CF. That's a huge area, and in order to fill it with bass you'll have to spend a considerable amount of money.
I measured it out and got 27L x 12W x 8H = 2592 cubic feet, so first of all I'm dumb for thinking it was 800 sq ft. I mainly just care about the bass in one specific area where the couch is, but don't mind filling more of the room for music if possible. With that said, any thoughts on the suggestions above. Anyone's help is highly appreciated as I'm want to buy something soon for my new house :-)
edtiva is offline  
post #1235 of 1249 Old 11-19-2014, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Well the issue with low frequencies is you need a pressurize a volume of space for it to work properly. When you have a room that is open to other rooms, the sub sees the entire connected volume of space, so while you are only sitting in one area, your sub is trying to pressurize half the house.

You can locate a sub near field, and this helps improve bass in a large space, but I would wager if you are coming from nothing, most subs will be a nice addition.

Dual subs are always better than a single because they smooth out the bass response throughout the room and provide a more consistent experience. The NXG is probably the best sub in the < $300 range, but a pair of Dayton SUB-1500 when on sale could be nice a option. You will get more output, and I would say the extension should be very close.
edtiva likes this.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #1236 of 1249 Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Newbie
 
edtiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Well the issue with low frequencies is you need a pressurize a volume of space for it to work properly. When you have a room that is open to other rooms, the sub sees the entire connected volume of space, so while you are only sitting in one area, your sub is trying to pressurize half the house.

You can locate a sub near field, and this helps improve bass in a large space, but I would wager if you are coming from nothing, most subs will be a nice addition.

Dual subs are always better than a single because they smooth out the bass response throughout the room and provide a more consistent experience. The NXG is probably the best sub in the < $300 range, but a pair of Dayton SUB-1500 when on sale could be nice a option. You will get more output, and I would say the extension should be very close.
Would there be a notice difference between dual Sub-1200 vs Sub-1500 for a 2,600 cubic room? I just don't see many people using the 15" versions, but my room is larger than most. The PA-150 isn't worth getting over the two Daytons I assume. I have a much older KLH 10" sub that just doesn't do much in this room, it is a new house for me so that's why I'm rebuilding. Thanks so much for the input.
edtiva is offline  
post #1237 of 1249 Old 11-20-2014, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,765
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtiva View Post
Would there be a notice difference between dual Sub-1200 vs Sub-1500 for a 2,600 cubic room? I just don't see many people using the 15" versions, but my room is larger than most. The PA-150 isn't worth getting over the two Daytons I assume. I have a much older KLH 10" sub that just doesn't do much in this room, it is a new house for me so that's why I'm rebuilding. Thanks so much for the input.

That depends upon what you're looking to achieve. Dual 1200's - when positioned correctly - will smooth out room modes, making the output more consistent over a larger area. They would potentially increase total output vis-a-vis a single 1500 as well. The 1500, on the other hand, will be able to play deeper bass, something the 1200 would not be capable of regardless of how many you purchased.

edtiva likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #1238 of 1249 Old 11-20-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtiva View Post
The PA-150 isn't worth getting over the two Daytons I assume.
I wouldn't say that. As Jim said, it depends on what you're looking for. A single PA-150 placed close to your listening position might be just what you're looking for. If you want to fill the whole room with bass maybe 2 Dayton 1500.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1239 of 1249 Old 11-21-2014, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
I think you will get better extension with the Dayton SUB-1500s, compared to the PA-150. The PA is fantastic in the 40Hz+ range, but it sacrifices some extension. For movies, you really need to get down into the low/mid 20s. Keep an eye out for some coupon codes, or perhaps they will be on sale for black Friday.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #1240 of 1249 Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I think you will get better extension with the Dayton SUB-1500s, compared to the PA-150. The PA is fantastic in the 40Hz+ range, but it sacrifices some extension. For movies, you really need to get down into the low/mid 20s. Keep an eye out for some coupon codes, or perhaps they will be on sale for black Friday.
+1 I forgot about that. I guess the PA-150 would be better for music. How low does the Dayton 1500 go?
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1241 of 1249 Old 11-21-2014, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
+1 I forgot about that. I guess the PA-150 would be better for music. How low does the Dayton 1500 go?
I think with a pair you are probably getting decent output down to 23Hz or so (maybe more with room gain). The only sub I know that performed better in this range was the Klipsch RW-12D, which got you an honest 20Hz extension, but unfortunately it is long gone.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #1242 of 1249 Old 11-21-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 12,427
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I think with a pair you are probably getting decent output down to 23Hz or so (maybe more with room gain). The only sub I know that performed better in this range was the Klipsch RW-12D, which got you an honest 20Hz extension, but unfortunately it is long gone.
And a single?
Bond 007 is offline  
post #1243 of 1249 Old 11-21-2014, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
And a single?
I'd say mid-20s, would love to see a comparison between it and the BIC F-12, I have a feeling it might be a better option if space isn't an issue.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #1244 of 1249 Old 11-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Newbie
 
edtiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know what the low price is on the sub-1500's are? They are 169 right now with a coupon code, free shipping. Since I'm buying two I just want to make sure I'm grabbing it at a low point, or can wait till BF or Cyber Monday if others have seen a better price.
edtiva is offline  
post #1245 of 1249 Old 11-24-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtiva View Post
Anyone know what the low price is on the sub-1500's are? They are 169 right now with a coupon code, free shipping. Since I'm buying two I just want to make sure I'm grabbing it at a low point, or can wait till BF or Cyber Monday if others have seen a better price.
I doubt it will go much lower than that, I would go ahead and buy them!

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #1246 of 1249 Old Today, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sheshechic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Suffolk, VA
Posts: 2,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I'd say mid-20s, would love to see a comparison between it and the BIC F-12, I have a feeling it might be a better option if space isn't an issue.
Doesn't the 1200 reach mid-20s? Specs seem to indicate that it would, or am I missing something?

sheshechic is online now  
post #1247 of 1249 Old Today, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,630
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Doesn't the 1200 reach mid-20s? Specs seem to indicate that it would, or am I missing something?
That's ambitious for the 1200, the F-12 is a better sub and isn't good for much below 30hz.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #1248 of 1249 Old Today, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,765
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshechic View Post
Doesn't the 1200 reach mid-20s? Specs seem to indicate that it would, or am I missing something?
Port tuning is around 26Hz, so expecting low to mid 20's with room gain is not unreasonable. It will drop off rather quickly below that point though, so by 20Hz output would be very limited.
sheshechic likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is online now  
post #1249 of 1249 Old Today, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Dick Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 12" Polk PSW505 is on sale at Newegg for $169.00. I was previously contemplating getting a F-12 or a Dayton sub-1200. How does the Polk compare to these two? In general for sub $300 sub, how does this fair?

On a different note, Fry's has the Klipsch 12" for $199 if you have a promo code, but sadly, I do not have the code.

Any advice is appreciated, as you guys are much more knowledgeable than I am.

FYI, this sub will be going in my bedroom and be paired with a Klipsch Quintet system I got for 100 bucks on Craigslist.

Last edited by Dick Fingers; Today at 07:28 PM.
Dick Fingers is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Aperion Audio , Dayton Audio Sub 800 8 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt , Hsu Research , Martin Logan , Klipsch , Klipsch Synergy Sub 10 Subwoofer Speaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Infinity Ps 12 Subwoofer , Subwoofers , Acoustic Audio , Acoustic Audio Psw 8 300 Watt 8 Audiophile Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Acoustic Audio Rwsub 8 300 Watt 8 Home Theater Series Powered Subwoofer , Scosche Hdw12 Subwoofer 12 , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Polk Audio Tsi500 Black 3 1 Tower Speaker System Free Psw 110 , Martinlogan Dynamo 300 Home Theater And Stereo Subwoofer , Klipsch Kw 100 120v Subwoofer , Jamo Sub210 8 Powered Subwoofer , Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw M8 Na 1200 Watt Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - Tsi500 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off