List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less) - Page 50 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 1485 Old Today, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Could we move this discussion to a separate thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1485 Old Today, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 2882
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
No problem. Hope you enjoy the sub-12, which is a pretty bad ass sub for $200. If you get on frys.com's mailing list, they have discount codes what seems like every day for certain items.
I can't image there is a better sub under $500 current available anywhere.

For context, I bought 6 subs last year, this was the least heralded, by far.

I am not saying it's the best overall, it's not, I am just saying it's the best out there at $500 or below. I still can't believe I got it for $200 delivered.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1473 of 1485 Old Today, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

I am not saying it's the best overall, it's not, I am just saying it's the best out there at $500 or below. I still can't believe I got it for $200 delivered.
What are the other 5?
post #1474 of 1485 Old Today, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

It really is that good. I had the Klipsch sub-12 and the highly regarded NXG NX-BAS-500 at the same time and the Klipsch worked better for me. I've also had an assortment of "budget" subs and I've yet to run across one I enjoyed more than the sub-12.

Game Room> LG 60" Plasma, Onkyo HT-RC560, Infinity P363 fronts, P163 center, P163's rears, JBL Loft40 FH, PSA XS30 and RA S-15 subs. PS4 and XBox One.
Living Room> Samsung 59" Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR509, JBL Studio 180 fronts, Studio 120c center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12-NSD sub. PS3 and XBox 360.
PC set up> Yamaha RX-V377, Infinity P163's, Klipsch sub-12.
Master BR> Samsung 42" LED, Yamaha RX-V375, Denon 5 speaker, Pioneer SW-8 sub.
post #1475 of 1485 Old Today, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

I asked a few posts ago and never saw a response. I've got 2 PSW505's and will be looking for another sub $200 sub for another room. I'm happy with the PSW505 and it's regularly around $190 with free shipping at newegg. Spec wise it seems to meet/exceed the Klipsch sub-12. I'm not going to start hating my PSW505's based on any feedback because they do the job for which they were purchased but I'm wondering if someone could succinctly lay out the pros/cons of the two. It may influence my upcoming purchase FWIW, I've matched the PSW505's with monitor 60's (f)/40's(r) and CS2(c) 5.1 setups for daily use.

As I said before, not wanting to light any fires or start any brand wars, just interested in an honest/fair comparison of the PSW505 and the Sub-12!

THANKS
Quote:

post #1476 of 1485 Old Today, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OK, if i new where this thread was moving i would go there. Because i came here to read about the Sub-12 from Klipsch. But i wanted to make this comment on the often related claim "Low frequencies are omnidirectional". Some of this confusion comes from mixing up terminology. Sound waves are omnidirectional, meaning they travel out from a source in all directions. As they travel they interact, get distorted, attenuated, etc. Specific interference patterns can make them directional, like a parabolic dish focusing them, but that is not the case with powered subwoofer designs.

What people are (usually) referring to is the human sensory experience and the ability to infer direction from a sound. The human head isn't designed (mostly due to size) to locate the direction of sounds less than ~80Hz. Larger animals, like elephants, can infer direction from sounds lower than 80Hz. There is nothing special about that frequency besides our ability to interpret differential information at the point of our two ears (how the brain infers direction). As we all know, the room is interacting with the source and that alters the energy that reaches our ears. So, orienting the driver in a different direction can change the interference patterns (not saying that one way is better or worse than another), but that has nothing to do with the omnidirectional nature of sound (even low frequency sound).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Could we move this discussion to a separate thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeelarr View Post
Not may article. I didn't write any of it. However, its been debated on here and other sites (as shown above) and there is no scientific evidence to back any version is better than the other. Again, low frequency is omni-directional...thats a scientific FACT. So placing a driver in different direction shouldn't make a difference. However, this guy is saying it does? That literally contradicts the science. But, OK.

If people think it makes a difference...so be it. But dont spread misinformation on a site that relies on science to prove its point.
post #1477 of 1485 Old Today, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
What are the other 5?
I got a servo from Velodyne, 3000 watts Dynamic/1250 watts RMS Power, 10 in

2 were SVS SB 2000... 500 watts RMS, 1100 watts peak, 12 in

2 others were SVS SB 13 ultra, 1000 Watt RMS, 13 in. 3600 peak

the only reason I got the Kipsch was because it was such a good deal Turns out, it was the best audio deal I ever got. Many many decades I have been buying.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #1478 of 1485 Old Today, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

How about here?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/newthr...ewthread&f=113

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelBioE View Post
OK, if i new where this thread was moving i would go there. Because i came here to read about the Sub-12 from Klipsch. But i wanted to make this comment on the often related claim "Low frequencies are omnidirectional". Some of this confusion comes from mixing up terminology. Sound waves are omnidirectional, meaning they travel out from a source in all directions. As they travel they interact, get distorted, attenuated, etc. Specific interference patterns can make them directional, like a parabolic dish focusing them, but that is not the case with powered subwoofer designs.

What people are (usually) referring to is the human sensory experience and the ability to infer direction from a sound. The human head isn't designed (mostly due to size) to locate the direction of sounds less than ~80Hz. Larger animals, like elephants, can infer direction from sounds lower than 80Hz. There is nothing special about that frequency besides our ability to interpret differential information at the point of our two ears (how the brain infers direction). As we all know, the room is interacting with the source and that alters the energy that reaches our ears. So, orienting the driver in a different direction can change the interference patterns (not saying that one way is better or worse than another), but that has nothing to do with the omnidirectional nature of sound (even low frequency sound).
post #1479 of 1485 Old Today, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I asked a few posts ago and never saw a response. I've got 2 PSW505's and will be looking for another sub $200 sub for another room. I'm happy with the PSW505 and it's regularly around $190 with free shipping at newegg. Spec wise it seems to meet/exceed the Klipsch sub-12. I'm not going to start hating my PSW505's based on any feedback because they do the job for which they were purchased but I'm wondering if someone could succinctly lay out the pros/cons of the two. It may influence my upcoming purchase FWIW, I've matched the PSW505's with monitor 60's (f)/40's(r) and CS2(c) 5.1 setups for daily use.

As I said before, not wanting to light any fires or start any brand wars, just interested in an honest/fair comparison of the PSW505 and the Sub-12!

THANKS

I don't do comparisons much...especially at this price level. I can only tell ya my impressions from being a music nut since 1960. (not audio, music) I have zero brand loyalty to Klipsch, can't stand there speakers so no worries there if you go another direction. I'd say, enjoy the music and if this PSW505 makes you happy, get another and don't think twice.

What is that anyway? Have a link?

Thanks and enjoy!
rakstr likes this.

post #1480 of 1485 Old Today, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

THANKS
The 505 is one of the few budget subs I've never owned/auditioned, so I couldn't say one way or another if I thought it was better/worse than the sub-12. If you are looking to buy a sub to use in a different room, then I think the sub-12 would be at least comparable to the PSW505. I don't think you could go wrong choosing the Klipsch over the Polk when looking for a sub for your room. Room size and layout, of course, will determine how well any sub performs.

Buy the Klipsch and then come back and give us your impressions compared to the Polk. I would be very interested in your take.

edit: BTW, don't feel compelled to "match" your sub brand to your speaker brand. Which brand sub you buy doesn't really matter in relation to what brand your speakers are.

Game Room> LG 60" Plasma, Onkyo HT-RC560, Infinity P363 fronts, P163 center, P163's rears, JBL Loft40 FH, PSA XS30 and RA S-15 subs. PS4 and XBox One.
Living Room> Samsung 59" Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR509, JBL Studio 180 fronts, Studio 120c center, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12-NSD sub. PS3 and XBox 360.
PC set up> Yamaha RX-V377, Infinity P163's, Klipsch sub-12.
Master BR> Samsung 42" LED, Yamaha RX-V375, Denon 5 speaker, Pioneer SW-8 sub.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; Today at 03:49 PM.
post #1481 of 1485 Old Today, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
lol
rakstr likes this.

post #1482 of 1485 Old Today, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

THX, I'm not compelled to match brands. Just worked out that way. I'm a patient person and as the Monitor line was "phasing out", I watched the prices at newegg and caught their patterns. I bought things weeks/months apart as the prices hit rock bottom and am very pleased. I get the whole volume of room stuff, these setups are primarily TV/family gathering rooms so "premium" sound wasn't the target but for what I spent, I'm extremely happy (and that's all that matters to me)!!!! I think my PSW505 were actually in the $170 range on shell shocker or holiday or whatever sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
The 505 is one of the few budget subs I've never owned/auditioned, so I couldn't say one way or another if I thought it was better/worse than the sub-12. If you are looking to buy a sub to use in a different room, then I think the sub-12 would be at least comparable to the PSW505. I don't think you could go wrong choosing the Klipsch over the Polk when looking for a sub for your room. Room size and layout, of course, will determine how well any sub performs.

Buy the Klipsch and then come back and give us your impressions compared to the Polk. I would be very interested in your take.

edit: BTW, don't feel compelled to "match" your sub brand to your speaker brand. Which brand sub you buy doesn't really matter in relation to what brand your speakers are.
post #1483 of 1485 Old Today, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
I got a servo from Velodyne, 3000 watts Dynamic/1250 watts RMS Power, 10 in

2 were SVS SB 2000... 500 watts RMS, 1100 watts peak, 12 in

2 others were SVS SB 13 ultra, 1000 Watt RMS, 13 in. 3600 peak

the only reason I got the Kipsch was because it was such a good deal Turns out, it was the best audio deal I ever got. Many many decades I have been buying.
Those sound like some heavy hitters.

Are you saying better compared to price/value or overall?
post #1484 of 1485 Old Today, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.polkaudio.com/psw505-black/d/1179
Quote:
I don't do comparisons much...especially at this price level. I can only tell ya my impressions from being a music nut since 1960. (not audio, music) I have zero brand loyalty to Klipsch, can't stand there speakers so no worries there if you go another direction. I'd say, enjoy the music and if this PSW505 makes you happy, get another and don't think twice.

What is that anyway? Have a link?

Thanks and enjoy!
post #1485 of 1485 Old Today, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Those sound like some heavy hitters.

Are you saying better compared to price/value or overall?
price/value

big difference between best price/value and best sound

I could never use it in my bigger systems and expect it could survive.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Acoustic Audio , Acoustic Audio Psw 8 300 Watt 8 Audiophile Series Powered Subwoofer , Acoustic Audio Rwsub 8 300 Watt 8 Home Theater Series Powered Subwoofer , Aperion Audio , Bic America , Dayton Audio Sub 800 8 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw M8 Na 1200 Watt Subwoofer , Hsu Research , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt , Infinity Ps 12 Subwoofer , Jamo Sub210 8 Powered Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Kw 100 120v Subwoofer , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Klipsch Synergy Sub 10 Subwoofer Speaker , Martin Logan , Martinlogan Dynamo 300 Home Theater And Stereo Subwoofer , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Polk Audio Tsi500 Black 3 1 Tower Speaker System Free Psw 110 , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Scosche Hdw12 Subwoofer 12 , Subwoofers
Gear in this thread - Tsi500 by PriceGrabber.com