List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less) - Page 51 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 1515 Old 05-15-2015, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz1987 View Post
I have a 25'x25'x12' living room that opens to the kitchen and dining room, needless to say, it's not ideal for direct reflection sound field construction. However, I have recently upgrade my receiver the the Yamaha R-2000 and it has encouraged me to improve my 5.1 to 7.2. I moved the (front) Bose satiliytes to the (side) surround position and designated the other satiliytes as the back rears. I purchased Eclipse towers (w/ 2, 6-1/2" woofers each) to fill the front position and use a polk center. My issue is with the bass, I currently use a Sony 12" ported-front firing sub that has served me well for the last 12 years. I have had my eyes set on the Klipsch-Synergy, 12-300W but my intention is not to annoy the neighbors. I want to have fast responding bass that fills the room, the quality and volume of the low end is not as important as having room filling quick punchy bass. Any thoughts about dual subs, or using a 8" versus 10"? I appligize for the lengthy synopsis, thanks for the input.
You're using Bose speakers and a single Sony 12" subwoofer in an area that measures 7500 ft^3??? To be completely honest, I'm surprised you can even hear either of them in such a massive space. Unless you get something like an Orbit Shifter I doubt annoying your neighbors will be something you need to be concerned with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
Unfortunately given that enormous space, you are going to have trouble filling the room with bass at this price level. I would probably consider a pair of Dayton SUB-1500 to start, and you may need to locate one or both near your main seating position to improve the bass quality. A sub has to pressurize the entire connected volume, and given that your living room is 7500 cubic feet alone, plus open to other rooms, you need some serious horsepower.
+1

A pair of SUB-1500's is about the only chance you'll have of filling that much space on a budget. I'm afraid physics are not your ally.
eljr likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1515 Old 05-15-2015, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by acritzer View Post
Long story short...I guess I'm shopping for a new sub, on a budget.

Read some things about the Klipsch Sub-12. But...do you need a coupon code of some kind to get the $200 price?
Be sure to sign up for the daily emails/promo codes here (as others mentioned) and you're sure to see the Sub-12 at $200 soon.

http://images.frys.com/art/email/ima...spromocom.html

edit: someone listed it earlier. Oh well, now you're quoted so you should definitely get a notification
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.
post #1503 of 1515 Old 05-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Which is exactly why I highlighted tomorrow as the possible exception!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Frys has been having 30th Anniversary "Sale-A-Bration" codes/deals all week long, with daily emails. Not really any difference than their normal, daily code deals. Just makes it sound cooler/better that it's an anniversary sale. Each daily email usually has a list of "1 day only" offers.
post #1504 of 1515 Old 05-16-2015, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Give that man a kewpie doll!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	klipsch.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	719618  
post #1505 of 1515 Old 05-16-2015, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post
Give that man a kewpie doll!
In Store Only.
post #1506 of 1515 Old 05-16-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Last couple of times the sub-12 has been on sale for $229 for a full week, online and in-store, they will also offer a code to knock it down to $199. If you go to their site right now, "no product found" appears when you look for the sub-12. It's totally out of their database now. It really stinks when Frys has in-store only deals, since they have a small number of stores in just a few states.

BTW, referencing "kewpie doll" shows your age. lol

Game Room> LG 60" Plasma, Onkyo HT-RC560, Infinity P363 fronts, P163 center, P163 rears, JBL Loft40 FH, PSA XS30 & RA S-15 subs. PS4 & XBox One.
Living Room> Samsung 59" Plasma, Onkyo TX-NR509, JBL Studio 180 fronts, Studio 120c center, Polk RC60i rears, SVS PC12-NSD & PB12-NSD subs. PS3 & XBox 360.
PC set up> Yamaha RX-V377, Infinity P163's, Klipsch sub-12.
Master BR> Samsung 42" LED, Yamaha RX-V375, Denon 5 spkr, Jamo sub360.
post #1507 of 1515 Old 05-17-2015, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I appreciate the input, have spent countless hours experimenting with the placement and orientation of my one 12" Sony sub. I was able to find a place that almost seems to fill the room at certain levels and frequencies (hardly satisfactory). The dual 15" daytons sound like a good solution for filling the room with bass. However, will it only produce the low rolling sounds (bass guitar, thunder, etc) because of the large cone size? It has been my understanding that a larger cone will struggle to move quick enough to produce a tight sharp sound, like the kick peddle of a drum or chop of a helicopter blade (which is what I'm trying to improve on).
post #1508 of 1515 Old Today, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz1987 View Post
I appreciate the input, have spent countless hours experimenting with the placement and orientation of my one 12" Sony sub. I was able to find a place that almost seems to fill the room at certain levels and frequencies (hardly satisfactory). The dual 15" daytons sound like a good solution for filling the room with bass. However, will it only produce the low rolling sounds (bass guitar, thunder, etc) because of the large cone size? It has been my understanding that a larger cone will struggle to move quick enough to produce a tight sharp sound, like the kick peddle of a drum or chop of a helicopter blade (which is what I'm trying to improve on).

From my understanding the main issue at hand is simply volume. Imagine dropping a pebble into a shot glass. Now imagine dropping a pebble into a bathtub. That's an inaccurate but easily visual way to put bass.

Also, the amount of bass a sub produces is basically excursion x area. Bigger of either = more bass.

Next, a sub will produce any sound it's capable of producing. If you send the signal, It will or won't depending on the sub. This is true from 1hz to 20,000hz, although most all will have crossovers to protect them, and nobody will run a sub at that high it's purely illustrative.

Lastly, the size of the cone is truly irrelevant to how sharp the bass is. I've heard 21" subs so sharp they'll make you blink. There are also 8" "subs" that make me laugh. Basically the strength of the motor, the weight of the cone, surround, magnets, etc, and lastly the power supplied are what determine the "punchyness" of the bass. A small very efficient motor with a small stiff lightweight cone can produce much better bass than a heavy cone, with a high moving mass that wobbles with twice or ten times the power. This is where costs increase and price comes in.

I believe near field bass is the cheapest solution for you, but Jim Wilson got me hooked on bass so I'd trust him PS got any new reviews Jim?

Also, since this is the budget thread, here's a little update. I sold my nxg-500 to my old man 2 upgrades ago. It is still pumping away in my fathers living room. He won't do anything to stop all the rattles though, because he thinks it sounds cool. I facepalm while he laughs. It did knock the ugliest picture of me off the wall though, so it already paid for itself.
post #1509 of 1515 Old Today, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Lastly, the size of the cone is truly irrelevant to how sharp the bass is. I've heard 21" subs so sharp they'll make you blink. There are also 8" "subs" that make me laugh. Basically the strength of the motor, the weight of the cone, surround, magnets, etc, and lastly the power supplied are what determine the "punchyness" of the bass. A small very efficient motor with a small stiff lightweight cone can produce much better bass than a heavy cone, with a high moving mass that wobbles with twice or ten times the power. This is where costs increase and price comes in.

I believe near field bass is the cheapest solution for you, but Jim Wilson got me hooked on bass so I'd trust him PS got any new reviews Jim?

Also, since this is the budget thread, here's a little update. I sold my nxg-500 to my old man 2 upgrades ago. It is still pumping away in my fathers living room. He won't do anything to stop all the rattles though, because he thinks it sounds cool. I facepalm while he laughs. It did knock the ugliest picture of me off the wall though, so it already paid for itself.[/QUOTE]

That's some good common sense analogy you described which is why some subwoofers just "work" while others don't

And the part about your dad. Now that's just funny!

At least your dad has a subwoofer!
post #1510 of 1515 Old Today, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post
He does, and a bunch of them are killer! Given what's been going on of late it's quite the surprise really. I've been getting this question a lot recently though, so it's probably time to fess up about where I've been.

It's actually a good 6 months since I published anything, which is incredible considering I averaged a review every 4-5 weeks for over 3 years! At this point I've put out somewhere between 35-40 of them, so I was definitely on a role for a while there. Unfortunately, toward the end of last year my personal life went KABOOM, and because of that I had to divert my attention elsewhere. All the junk I was forced to deal with sucked the life out of me too, which meant my creativity when right out the window. Between no time and no creativity I decided to step away for a bit and focus my attention on other things that needed to be rectified. Behind the scenes it came thisclose to being a permanent vacation too, but a funny thing happened recently...

After I got some crap squared away I tried writing again, but to no avail; I was cold and unproductive, incapable of putting my thoughts to words. Try as I might - and believe me, I tried - it simply wasn't there any more. After several failed attempts I became extremely frustrated and (reluctantly) came to the conclusion that perhaps it was time to walk away, go off and do something else, but fate stepped in and said "not so fast".

I won't bore you with all the details but in a space of maybe 2 weeks in April several different manufactures reached out to me and asked if I could do a review for them. It was an odd coincidence, for sure, but I was very uncertain because of what was going on so I agreed to do just one of them. A last hurrah if you will, before I stopped completely. Surely I could coax one final review, right? However, when I started writing this time it felt good again! Out of the blue it was like old times; I wasn't having writers block any longer, and the words were just flowing. Thoughts and phrasing were coming at me faster than I could type, which is what I had grown accustom to these past few years. It felt great to have that back.

Since I began to think "it" was on my side again I reached out to the other manufacturers I had declined previously to see if they might still be interested, and every one of them was. Success begat success, and all of the sudden I have products flooding in for the first time in over half a year! I'm actually enjoying this again, something I thought had left me for good.

A sneak peak of what I already have is a pair of Rythmik F8's, an HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP and a full 5.1 XTZ Cinema system with the SUB3X12. And the stuff I'm getting in the first week or two of June would blow your mind! I won't give away too much, but there are some beastly subwoofers in my future.
afterlife2 likes this.

Last edited by JimWilson; Today at 01:04 PM.
post #1511 of 1515 Old Today, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Best wishes Jim.
Glad to have you back.
JimWilson likes this.
post #1512 of 1515 Old Today, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Best wishes Jim.
Glad to have you back.
Thanks my friend. I'm glad to be back!

post #1513 of 1515 Old Today, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Best wishes Jim.
Glad to have you back.
My thoughts as well!
Always good to be struggle free (reduced) and "in the zone".

I enjoy your reviews and have purchased one of your main budget recommendations and have been pleased.

I am, however about to embark into the DIY category and with success will demote the NXG to a secondary role.

Chris
post #1514 of 1515 Old Today, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
I enjoy your reviews and have purchased one of your main budget recommendations and have been pleased.
Chris;

I'm glad something I wrote/said was helpful to you with one of your purchases. DIY can be a blast, so I wish you a lot of success with your new build!

post #1515 of 1515 Old Today, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Jim a well welcome! Glad you're back. I know what you wen't through and I know if was rough for you. Glad to see you back in form man. Looking forward to your new writings.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Acoustic Audio , Acoustic Audio Psw 8 300 Watt 8 Audiophile Series Powered Subwoofer , Acoustic Audio Rwsub 8 300 Watt 8 Home Theater Series Powered Subwoofer , Aperion Audio , Bic America , Dayton Audio Sub 800 8 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw M8 Na 1200 Watt Subwoofer , Hsu Research , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt , Infinity Ps 12 Subwoofer , Jamo Sub210 8 Powered Subwoofer , Klipsch , Klipsch Kw 100 120v Subwoofer , Klipsch Sub 12 , Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Klipsch Synergy Sub 10 Subwoofer Speaker , Martin Logan , Martinlogan Dynamo 300 Home Theater And Stereo Subwoofer , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Polk Audio Tsi500 Black 3 1 Tower Speaker System Free Psw 110 , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Scosche Hdw12 Subwoofer 12 , Subwoofers
Gear in this thread - Tsi500 by PriceGrabber.com