post #151 of 1127 Old 01-09-2012, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyStreetRacer View Post

The Acoustic Audio HD-SUB15 I did not see on the list. Acoustic Audio was the first listing and I only saw the 10 and 12, that is why I listed the 15. Was I looking in the wrong place?

Good catch; looks like I inadvertently omitted that one when I created the original list.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1127 Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Klipsh RW-12d goes on sale frequently for $300, so that can be added as well.
Thanks
Mike
post #153 of 1127 Old 01-20-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

The Klipsh RW-12d goes on sale frequently for $300, so that can be added as well.

I've almost done that once or twice now, but it seems like the sale -- while fairly regular in nature -- is not something that can be counted on to occur with any degree of consistency. I have been keeping my eye on it though, so if that changes I will add it.

post #154 of 1127 Old 01-23-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added
JA Audio JA-SS10, JA-SS12

post #155 of 1127 Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added
Velodyne Starfire-10, Starfire-12, WiConnect 10, DLS 3750R

post #156 of 1127 Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pinnacle 12" sub at Meijers on Clearance $99.00

LOOKS LIKE THEY ARE ALL GONE. I MISSED GETTING ONE FOR THAT PRICE. OH WELL.
post #157 of 1127 Old 02-03-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK guys, I need a little help choosing the next subwoofer to test. Seems like my initial plan has been somewhat derailed, so I'm looking to see what -- if any -- sub catches your interest. Here they are, replete with my own thoughts, listed in an approximate order of preference...

I had originally selected the NXG NX-PROSUB300, but as it turns out that model is being discontinued. The replacement is about 2 months away from release, so it strikes me as somewhat worthless to review the current model if it will be gone shortly thereafter. All NXG will tell me about the replacement is 'the new 12" will be a significant upgrade from the ProSub300 and will have completely different specifications (and pricing)'. That makes it sound as though it might eclipse the $300 threshold, but I guess only time will tell. I haven't scratched the new unit off my list, but I can't do anything with it now either.

I then thought maybe I'd just review the PROSUB300's little brother, the PROSUB125. I may still do that, if there's sufficient interest.

The BIC V1020 or V1220 have been on my radar for a while. They seem to be a bit more obscure then some of the other BIC subs -- which is part of my criteria -- but there are so many other people who already own a BIC sub that I'm not sure how much value I could add to what's already available.

Acoustic Audio's HD-SUB12 looked promising, but there's a very active thread on the blu-ray.com forum for that company. There seems to be a number of owners who participate too, so if there's something you wanted to know about them you could probably get it answered by those folks.

The Dayton SUB-1000 (or SUB-1200) are possibilities. Most people feel PE offers good value, and since they're new either one might fit the bill.

The Fluance DB150 is another option, and evidently they're finally back in stock too. That seems to be a rare occurrence.

JA Audio JA-SS10 fits my dogma, but I'm not sure about the company itself. It has what appears to be a slotted port running the entire length on the bottom of the sub, almost as though it's a band-pass or something. Kinda interesting, to be honest. However, while doing my typical test of a companies support I find these people to be about as atrocious as they come, so I'm not sure I want to promote their product (assuming it's any good, of course).

The AudioSource PSW110 appears to me as though it shares more then a passing familiarity with the OSD PS10, which I already reviewed. If it is basically the same thing then I don't really see a need to try one of those.

OEM Systems PS-12 was another obscure sub, but I wonder if it's too obscure. And speaking of that...

The Linear PSW112 is a sub I'm not even sure I'd want to test. It's about as arcane as they come, but perhaps too much so even for me.

And then there are "the others"...

Two subs that fit the bill in all respects -- except for one -- are the EarthQuake FF-12 and the HTD (Home Theater Direct) Level TWO. The EarthQuake I have been asked several times about, and to a lesser extend the HTD as well. I've always demurred because they're both $350, which would break one of my own tenets (must be priced at $300 or below). However, it does seem there is interest in both of them, especially the EarthQuake.

So there you have it. Now the questions is; what would you like to see me do next? I'd rather not be done testing subwoofers -- because I feel there is still perhaps some value when I do -- but if I can't find something that would be of interest then I'll simply call it quits.

post #158 of 1127 Old 02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
energy s10.3 is $250 at newegg.

im trying to get it at $200 but no luck so far
post #159 of 1127 Old 02-03-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
no no, don't call it quits. What about the PA-120? I know there is a detail review on the 150 and there's a thread on the 120 but I didn't find any detailed review in the thread. It would be interesting to get your point of view on it....

Also, they ship to the states, but I'm not sure at what premium. Heck, even if you couldn't return it, maybe you could sell it and get most of your money back.

just a thought

cheers
post #160 of 1127 Old 02-03-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

no no, don't call it quits. What about the PA-120? I know there is a detail review on the 150 and there's a thread on the 120 but I didn't find any detailed review in the thread. It would be interesting to get your point of view on it....

At one time the PA-120 was on my list, but it seemed as though there were plenty of owners so I eventually removed it. One of my guidelines is to only test subs from companies few have heard of, or at least weren't too widely known/reviewed. To me it seems like PA has a solid following and quite a number of owners, so I'm not sure I could really offer much there.

post #161 of 1127 Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

At one time the PA-120 was on my list, but it seemed as though there were plenty of owners so I eventually removed it. One of my guidelines is to only test subs from companies few have heard of, or at least weren't too widely known/reviewed. To me it seems like PA has a solid following and quite a number of owners, so I'm not sure I could really offer much there.

Got ya. I had found a company that ships the Vector Research Bass12 in the States but I've never ordered from them so I'm not sure how they are to deal with. It doesn't get more obscure than the Vector Research Bass12
post #162 of 1127 Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got ya. I had found a company that ships the Vector Research Bass12 in the States but I've never ordered from them so I'm not sure how they are to deal with. It doesn't get more obscure than the Vector Research Bass12

That's for sure. An $88 dollar subwoofer is like the Monoprice unit, and one can only imagine what that sounds like.

post #163 of 1127 Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added
BIC PL-200

Modified
Purchase links for the Premier Acoustic PA-10 and PA-120

post #164 of 1127 Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Jim, the Fluance 10 inch is available right now
post #165 of 1127 Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Jim, the Fluance 10 inch is available right now

Son of a gun, it must be that time of the year again! I checked their website for about 2 months and it was always out of stock. Thanks for the heads up. Wonder how they stay in business...

post #166 of 1127 Old 02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Son of a gun, it must be that time of the year again! I checked their website for about 2 months and it was always out of stock. Thanks for the heads up. Wonder how they stay in business...

coupon code "DB150" before Feb.12 to get it at $199 + free shipping
post #167 of 1127 Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Added
JBL P10SW
Pure Acoustics Lord 10

post #168 of 1127 Old 02-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Hi. Thanks Jim for such a great list! You replied to this thread of mine and I am one who lives in Boston, on the second floor of a 3 floor 6 unit building. My listening area (couch to TV/front speakers) is about 8x10 LxW however it is part of a larger living area about 20x10 (behind my couch is the kitchen). I really want to get a sub to enjoy some of the lower frequencies in movies and music (60/40 movie music split). That said, I don't want to annoy the neighbors. The insulation in this apartment is excellent.

I would definitely use an Auralex SubDude to help with unneeded vibrarations. I usually listen to movies and music quite low, about -10 to -20 db and I use Audyssey Dynamic Volume (either on night or midnight setting) so I don't have extreme highs. Will this help with not interrupting my neighbors? Or will the sound still travel and rattle their apartment?

You recommended a front firing setup as it will be less invasive to others. How much of a difference does it make with a SubDude and Audyssey Dynamic Volume? Will Audyssey DV or my Denon 2310CI AVR allow me to set predefined limits on my sub?

Why do some people say that a 10" sub won't be powerful enough for me because my room is actually 20x10, even though the listening area is 8x10? Given that I don't like want it to be too loud and I'd probably set the sub on the lower volume settings (if this is recommended), what's the problem with having a sub that is underpowered for the area? And more theoretically, why do I need to get a sub large enough for the entire room, even though I don't listen to music or movies in the other half of the room, which is the kitchen area?

Energy S10.3 is on sale for $250 at newegg right now (including shipping) and this is front firing so I am thinking that this is the best sub for me. I could also get the Energy EW-100 sub for $100 used. Can you chime in?

(I thought it was appropriate to ask these questions here because I assume plenty of budget sub buyers live in apartments or small houses and it will be relevant to others)

NB: I have Ascend 340 front and center and will be purchasing either the Ascend CBM-170 or Ascend HTM-200 surrounds this week.
post #169 of 1127 Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phie View Post

I would definitely use an Auralex SubDude to help with unneeded vibrarations. I usually listen to movies and music quite low, about -10 to -20 db and I use Audyssey Dynamic Volume (either on night or midnight setting) so I don't have extreme highs. Will this help with not interrupting my neighbors? Or will the sound still travel and rattle their apartment?

Sound travels regardless, so the best you can hope to do is mitigate some of the unwanted ramifications. Looking at subwoofers with modest outputs, using a SubDude and running it at conservative volume levels are all anyone can really expect, so I think you should be fine. There are many people in apartments who have a sub, yet few go to the lengths you're contemplating, which strikes me as very considerate.

Quote:

You recommended a front firing setup as it will be less invasive to others. How much of a difference does it make with a SubDude and Audyssey Dynamic Volume? Will Audyssey DV or my Denon 2310CI AVR allow me to set predefined limits on my sub?

My suggestion was based upon the fact you seemed adamant about not wanting to impact any of your neighbors. There are those who say it makes no difference when it comes to output -- front firing vs. down firing -- but my experience runs counter to that position. I've found front firing will often have a more direct sound, while down firing typically creates more of that tactile sensation of "feel". Based upon what you're saying the latter is not what you want. However, therein lies a quandary...

If you try and eliminate too much of the bass you might as well not even have a subwoofer, but achieving that balance can sometimes be difficult. The SubDude will definitely help. Since you're heading in the right direction I think it might be better to concentrate on something that will satisfy your needs now, otherwise you may find that you've done all this for nothing and spent money without getting what you were after.

Quote:

Why do some people say that a 10" sub won't be powerful enough for me because my room is actually 20x10, even though the listening area is 8x10? Given that I don't like want it to be too loud and I'd probably set the sub on the lower volume settings (if this is recommended), what's the problem with having a sub that is underpowered for the area? And more theoretically, why do I need to get a sub large enough for the entire room, even though I don't listen to music or movies in the other half of the room, which is the kitchen area?

A subwoofer does not acknowledge "imaginary" boundaries, only physical ones. In other words, even though you consider the listening area to be 8x10 the subwoofer sees 20x10 instead. A sub needs to "pressurize" the entire space you put it in, so the complete area within the physical boundaries is what you really need to consider when sizing a sub. It may not seem to make much sense, but it's actually how they function.

That's precisely why everyone is contending most 10" subwoofers would struggle. You've probably already seen it mentioned in multiple threads, but it's better to have too much sub than too little. You can always turn it down, but there is a limit to how far you can turn it up. If the sub you buy proves insufficient there's nothing that can be done (short of getting another sub, of course).

There are instances where getting two subs can be better than one large sub, but that depends upon a number of factors. Duals will not really give you additional low frequency extension, just additional output and a more even sound distribution. That may be something to consider as well.

Quote:

Energy S10.3 is on sale for $250 at newegg right now (including shipping) and this is front firing so I am thinking that this is the best sub for me. I could also get the Energy EW-100 sub for $100 used. Can you chime in?

By most accounts the 10.3 is thought to be a nice subwoofer, and that's a good price for it too. I do have some reservations about whether it will have enough output though. Is $250 your budget, or was that just one of the units you were considering?

post #170 of 1127 Old 02-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:

By most accounts the 10.3 is thought to be a nice subwoofer, and that's a good price for it too. I do have some reservations about whether it will have enough output though. Is $250 your budget, or was that just one of the units you were considering?

Thanks so much for all your info! It was very helpful!

No, $250 isn't the max. I could go $500 or so, if it means it'll last if and when I move out to the suburbs (but even then, the living room wouldn't be larger than 15x15 for anything under $700k, which is what I can afford, so I'd like to not have to repurchase a sub then...

What do you suggest? I've heard good things about hsu.

I hesitate to say this, but I can spend more than $500; that said, unless there is a really good reason to, I don't want to- I just had my first child. A really good reason could be "the sub that would be perfect is $550" however, I would much prefer to spend less as I don't think I would be able to tell the difference, as I am very new to all of this.
post #171 of 1127 Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks so much for all your info! It was very helpful!

You're welcome. Glad I was able to assist.

Quote:

What do you suggest? I've heard good things about hsu.

I hesitate to say this, but I can spend more than $500; that said, unless there is a really good reason to, I don't want to- I just had my first child. A really good reason could be "the sub that would be perfect is $550" however, I would much prefer to spend less as I don't think I would be able to tell the difference, as I am very new to all of this.

First and foremost, congrats on the little one! It's really a fantastic experience when you become a parent for the first time. That was almost 24 years ago for me though, so I have to dig really deep into the 'ol memory banks to remember that moment...

A particular favorite of this forum is the Rythmik FV12. It's not only capable, but a very good value cost wise. HSU's VTF-2 is another one that most seem to recommend. That has the added benefit of being down-firing, which isn't an issue now but may be when the little one starts to become mobile in the not too distant future. Either of these would give you more than the 10.3 would.

post #172 of 1127 Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM

Pinnacle PSSub225 $139 free shipping at dell.ca today.
post #173 of 1127 Old 02-13-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:

You're welcome. Glad I was able to assist.

First and foremost, congrats on the little one! It's really a fantastic experience when you become a parent for the first time. That was almost 24 years ago for me though, so I have to dig really deep into the 'ol memory banks to remember that moment...

A particular favorite of this forum is the Rythmik FV12. It's not only capable, but a very good value cost wise. HSU's VTF-2 is another one that most seem to recommend. That has the added benefit of being down-firing, which isn't an issue now but may be when the little one starts to become mobile in the not too distant future. Either of these would give you more than the 10.3 would.

Thanks! Which one would you prefer? The VTF-2 is similarly priced. How does it compare to each other? Also, what about the STF-2 is $150 less than the Rythmik. Is it worth the extra money? Can you give me an objective analysis of the two?
post #174 of 1127 Old 02-13-2012, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempura55 View Post

Pinnacle PSSub225 $139 free shipping at dell.ca today.

Looks like just about everyone has a fire sale on the 225 lately. Wonder if Pinnacle discontinued that model.

post #175 of 1127 Old 02-13-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks! Which one would you prefer? The VTF-2 is similarly priced. How does it compare to each other? Also, what about the STF-2 is $150 less than the Rythmik. Is it worth the extra money? Can you give me an objective analysis of the two?

Why don't you send me a PM about this, and we can discuss that way instead. I think we're going a bit off topic for the "budget subwoofers" thread, so it would probably be better for us to continue this conversation via PM.

post #176 of 1127 Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Jim,

can you recommend a nice sub for the Energy Take Five Classic set. Will be driving with a Denon Midline avr 22xx series.

I really appreciate your help. something that crosses over correctly with the take five classic. 120hz or something. Sorry to pick your brain.

The S10.3? , BIC-h100, Bic PL-200, Room is about 350-400 sq feet rectangular angled left and right walls, stair well on the left side, and a 5ft knee-wal. total height around 8ft im thinking, but a typical FROG in NC, SC. , a finished room over the garage. and thick laminate floors. Energy would be nice to keep matched but open as well. Music and Movies application, mostly movies though.

front firing not issue, no kids.

thank you sir.

I havent bought a sub in 12 years. I have a CT12 Velodyne i think downstairs that still works just fine.

post #177 of 1127 Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

Jim,

can you recommend a nice sub for the Energy Take Five Classic set. Will be driving with a Denon Midline avr 22xx series.

I really appreciate your help. something that crosses over correctly with the take five classic. 120hz or something. Sorry to pick your brain.

The EW100, ESW-8, S10.3? Room is about 350-400 sq feet rectangular , a finished room over the garage. and thick laminate floors. Energy would be nice to keep matched but open as well. Music and Movies application, mostly movies though.

front firing not issue, no kids.

thank you sir.

I havent bought a sub in 12 years. I have a CT12 Velodyne i think downstairs that still works just fine.

PM sent.

post #178 of 1127 Old 02-18-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
replied via pm

post #179 of 1127 Old 02-18-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Removed
Velodyne StarFire 10, StarFire 12 (discontinued product)

post #180 of 1127 Old 02-24-2012, 01:55 PM

Hey Jim, thanks for writing a great thread! I was wondering if you could give me a recommendation. I live in the basement apartment of a 5 story apartment building in Boston and I am looking for a cheap sub to round out my 5.1 system. I have 2 polk R50s for mains, R15s for rears and a Polk cs1 monitor for the center. The room dimensions are 18' by 12' so not very big. I know this price point is very low but I was looking at this Pinnacle SUB-SONIX 200 watt 10" subwoofer that someone was selling new on Craigslist for $100. Another option I was considering was the PSW10 for $90 on sale at amazon right now. My budget is about $150 - 200 but the less I can spend the better. Any recommendations between those two or within that price range if you think a better deal can be had?

-Nick from Boston
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Klipsch Sub 12hg Synergy Series 12 Inch 300 Watt Subwoofer With High Gloss Trim Black , Aperion Audio , Dayton Audio Sub 800 8 80 Watt Powered Subwoofer , Hsu Research Stf 1 Subwoofer 150 Watt , Hsu Research , Martin Logan , Klipsch , Klipsch Synergy Sub 10 Subwoofer Speaker , Klipsch Sub 12 , Infinity Ps 12 Subwoofer , Subwoofers , Acoustic Audio , Acoustic Audio Psw 8 300 Watt 8 Audiophile Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio Psw505 12 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Black , Acoustic Audio Rwsub 8 300 Watt 8 Home Theater Series Powered Subwoofer , Scosche Hdw12 Subwoofer 12 , Polk Audio Psw110 10 Inch Powered Subwoofer Single Cherry , Polk Audio Tsi500 Black 3 1 Tower Speaker System Free Psw 110 , Martinlogan Dynamo 300 Home Theater And Stereo Subwoofer , Klipsch Kw 100 120v Subwoofer , Jamo Sub210 8 Powered Subwoofer , Energy Esw C8 8 Inch Subwoofer Black , Energy Esw M8 Na 1200 Watt Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page