Infinity CSW-10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having an issue with the Infinity CSW-10 sub. I leave it plugged in with the switch on and when it first receives an audio signal I get a pop then a sort of whistle noise. It goes away in just a few seconds and then I don't hear it again until the next day when I turn the TV on again. Is this a grounding issue? Maybe a component on the internal amp going bad? Anyone else experience this?

Edit: From what I've found by searching online (crutchfield review and epinions) is that the pop and whistle (squelch) noise is caused by the amps auto-on feature. The amp shuts off after 10 minutes of not receiving signal, which explains why I wouldn't hear it again until the next day. I just don't recall hearing this noise when I first owned this sub (a few years ago).

Ref:
http://www.epinions.com/review/pr-In...t_174976568964

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108CSW1...w&rvm=ShowAllt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-05-2011, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The auto-on feature can start having problems after a period of time. The auto-on problem has occurred across a number of manufacturers (sometimes within the first year of ownership).

If you have the option of a pure 'on' switch in addition to 'off' and 'auto-on', then you should be ok even if your auto-on fails. It is generally not cost-effective getting the auto-on circuit repaired.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

i have two of these subs and have had the same issue on both of them. on one it has gotten to the point where i can no longer use it as it seems to be endlessly stuck in the cycle of powering on and going into standby even though it is receiving a signal, making it unusable.

i recently located the service manual online at hifi-manuals.com and am planning on giving the sub and manual to a friend to see if he can't identify the problem and maybe fix it...i'll report back any progress or findings.

shame as i rather enjoyed this little sub.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

You can sometimes get a deteriorating auto-on circuit to keep working by boosting the signal that goes from the AVR to the subwoofer. There are relatively inexpensive circuits that do that.

Capacitors deteriorate with age and heat. I believe a few individuals (but not all) have been able to get their auto-on circuit to work properly by replacing the capacitor (or capacitors).
post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

You can sometimes get a deteriorating auto-on circuit to keep working by boosting the signal that goes from the AVR to the subwoofer. There are relatively inexpensive circuits that do that.

Capacitors deteriorate with age and heat. I believe a few individuals (but not all) have been able to get their auto-on circuit to work properly by replacing the capacitor (or capacitors).

thanks, that is essentially what my friend has been speculating is the problem based on the issue i described. so replacing a bad cap or two may do the trick...otherwise i was hoping that perhaps he could bypass the auto-on.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

This is just a general comment. I put my subwoofers on power strips and like to turn them off when I am not listening. If that is done, then an auto/on circuit will only deteriorate very slowly (since it may only be in use a few hours a week).
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page