HSU VTF-2 or Rythmic FV12 ported - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,
I'm trying to find a good sub for my polk RTiA7s and CSiA4. I have it narrowed down to the HSU vtf-2 and the Rythmik Fv12 ported. Looks wise the FV-12 wins points. Can anyone help suggest pros/cons from both! with the speakers I have. I know this has been debated. I need to make a decision. Is there freq response or performance diffrence. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM

Both are great companies and great subs. Take your pick. Both will serve you well.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by netjumper View Post

Hi folks,
I'm trying to find a good sub for my polk RTiA7s and CSiA4. I have it narrowed down to the HSU vtf-2 and the Rythmik Fv12 ported. Looks wise the FV-12 wins points. Can anyone help suggest pros/cons from both! with the speakers I have. I know this has been debated. I need to make a decision. Is there freq response or performance diffrence. Thanks.

The Servo in the Rythmik should make it a little cleaner than the HSU. Someone who is 50% or more music use might be better off with the Rythmik. Typically, people are more heavily weighted towards HT use and the servo isn't as much of a benefit for HT use.

After all, exactly what does an explosion sound like?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 PM

Liked: 17
Imo, the more accurate sub would be best for both ht and music. A sub should not be able to differentiate between ht and music.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

90% use will be tv or movies. on occasion for music. i'm just looking for clean bass not muddy. i heard the martin logan dynamo 500 at best buy. it sounded ok but bit muddy. mebbe depends on roon. i'm leaning more towars rythmik..its seems look better. hsu seems to be more popular here!
post #6 of 6 Old 10-18-2011, 01:44 PM

You probably will be happy with either, I'd imagine.

When I asked about the Rythmik FV12 to the VTF-2 in terms of output, I was told that the FV12 would have more output and be closer to the bigger VTF-3, than the VTF-2. So that it is another argument for the FV12, plus like other said, it'll be more accurate because of the servo technology.

The FR (frequency response) on the Rythmik doesn't go as high as the VTF-2, which should not be a concern unless you are pairing your subwoofer with small speakers that need a very high crossover, instead of the standard (60hz/80hz). I think on the high end the FV12 rolls off at 100hz and above, but you've got big speakers, those floor-standing Polks, so you don't have to worry about the need for having a high crossover at all. (The HSU rolls off much higher, but I forget where exactly).

On the low end, the FV12, according to the spec sheet, to 20hz (if I remember right) and the VTF-2 will dig slightly deeper (in Maximum Extension mode, I think it's 18hz). Small difference, so I don't know how big of an issue it'll be and your room will dictate the actual response (may get lower). I did read from Rythmik that the FV12 does have, slightly, a more mid-bass slam as compared to other Rythmiks. This was for home theater use and he said it would appeal to the younger crowd as well. It did make me very curious though about hearing it (as I would imagine the mid-bass slam would be very nice for HT usage).

Can't go wrong with either, both are great companies. When I was looking at these two subwoofers, I was leaning toward the FV12 at the time.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page