Rel G1 subwoofer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 10-18-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone own or have listened to a Rel "G1" subwoofer.

looking for feedback, good/bad or great...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 PM

Don't have a G-1 but I do have a T-3. For an 8 inch sub its as good as I could ever ask it to be. Its an awesome sub for music. I just needed something bigger for HT duty (LFM-1EX en route)

-LHB
post #3 of 20 Old 10-19-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

anyone...
post #4 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 AM

I just bought a G-1 and it sounded terrible in the store when we hooked it up, so they ordered a replacement, because we all thought it was broke, but when the new one came in, it sounded the same. They got Sumiko Audio on the phone and they think it is in the settings, so they are going to play around with it. The bass sounds great, it's just making funny noises at deeper bass levels sometimes, like the driver is hitting something inside..... sounds mechanical, but we'll see.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler 08 View Post

anyone own or have listened to a Rel "G1" subwoofer.

looking for feedback, good/bad or great...

The Rel G-1 has a MSRP of $4,000. Way way overpriced. Seaton Submersive HP in a veneer finish will just crush the REL G-1 and have equal or better sound quality for music and HT.
post #6 of 20 Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM

I have had 3 REL G1 subs in house. Two were defective. Same as noted above with "mechanical" type noises with deep bass on LFE. Also, with music "mechanical" noise when the sub was put in the 180 phase mode and then noise disappeared in 0 phase mode.
Very weird.
The third sub seems OK so far.
Anyone else with similar problems?
post #7 of 20 Old 03-31-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

The Rel G-1 has a MSRP of $4,000. Way way overpriced. Seaton Submersive HP in a veneer finish will just crush the REL G-1 and have equal or better sound quality for music and HT.

Have you actually listened to the G1?
post #8 of 20 Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Have you actually listened to the G1?

I've never heard the Rel G-1 but I'm also not new to common sense and stayed at a Holiday Inn last week. The Rel has a 12" driver and a 700 watt amp. It can only do so much... it cannot defy the laws of physics. The submersive has dual 15" drivers and a more capable amp...
post #9 of 20 Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

I've never heard the Rel G-1 but I'm also not new to common sense and stayed at a Holiday Inn last week. The Rel has a 12" driver and a 700 watt amp. It can only do so much... it cannot defy the laws of physics. The submersive has dual 15" drivers and a more capable amp...

Stats do not tell the whole story about about audio equipment. That said, the Submersive is a great sub and priced fairly. By the way, I have heard the Submersive . My audio buddy has four of them and uses them for both music and home theater. However, the REL connectivity is unique and fits my particular setup. I use two G1's for music and they sound excellent. My problem has been two defective G1s. The third, so far, is fine and Sumiko is sending me a fourth.
post #10 of 20 Old 03-31-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

Based on this kind of thinking, we should all be driving Shelby Mustangs because they have the most horsepower for the dollar?

I'm not slamming the Seaton, I have never heard one, but specs don't tell the whole story. The OP was asking the question about the G1...I didn't supply him an answer because I have not heard a G1 either.

Still not sure what the Holiday Inn has to do with subwoofers...
post #11 of 20 Old 04-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCanuck View Post

Based on this kind of thinking, we should all be driving Shelby Mustangs because they have the most horsepower for the dollar?

I'm not slamming the Seaton, I have never heard one, but specs don't tell the whole story. The OP was asking the question about the G1...I didn't supply him an answer because I have not heard a G1 either.

Still not sure what the Holiday Inn has to do with subwoofers...

Dual 15" drivers have a surface area of 94"
A single 12" driver has a surface area of 37"

The submersive isn't handicapped by it's driver configuration. No 12" sub-woofer that could be created today could best a submersive.

Still not sure how a shelby mustang came into a sub-woofer conversation because it apparently has a lot of horsepower for the dollar?
post #12 of 20 Old 04-01-2012, 08:49 PM

Wow, that really proved it to me...all there is to a sub is surface area? You don't get it. Enjoy your Seaton!
post #13 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 AM

Yesterday, I listened to both the Submersive and the REL G1. The Submersive is killer for home theater. In fact the best, I have have ever heard. I did not realize what I heard was even possible for home theater. The system consisted of four Submersives.

However, for 2-channel music, the REL G1 was the winner. More texture and detail in the bass. Plenty of impact. The 2 channel playback consisted of two G1s.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Its great that you had the rare chance to hear both. Were they both set up in the same or similar room when you compared them?
post #15 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, that does it. Scratch Submersive as top choice for music and substitute Rel G1
post #16 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Its great that you had the rare chance to hear both. Were they both set up in the same or similar room when you compared them?

Different rooms, but both rooms are similar size and both rooms were designed by the same acoustical firm. Not perfect comparison, but as good as we could reasonably do.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Well, that does it. Scratch Submersive as top choice for music and substitute Rel G1

If you are being sarcastic what is the point? If not, why don't you try engaging in reasonable dialog? Both are great subs, but with different design goals In mind. The REL has unique connectivity which is helpful in my system, but may not be necessary in many other systems. Two twelve inch subs are adequate for my two channel system.
For home theater, I use a pair of Whise Profunders. (look it up)
post #18 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 10:20 AM

There have been some issues with REL subwoofer screws backing out while being freighted over by boat. Check and make sure the screws on the driver are tight.

Wonderful sounding subwoofer. Though it is designed to augment it does add a refinement into the mid and upper bass frequencies.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbblb1 View Post

If you are being sarcastic what is the point? If not, why don't you try engaging in reasonable dialog? Both are great subs, but with different design goals In mind. The REL has unique connectivity which is helpful in my system, but may not be necessary in many other systems. Two twelve inch subs are adequate for my two channel system.
For home theater, I use a pair of Whise Profunders. (look it up)

Whise Profunders; I have the professional review of the $4,900 each Profunder 320 done by Don Keele in Audio Magazine in September 1999. That is when I first learned of the Profunder. Excellent output and depth at a high price. Tomlinson Holman the TH in THX is the US marketer of the Australian Profunder 624 at TMH.com. The Profunder was one of the best when it was tested in 1999, but my sense is that other subs have eclipsed it. For example, the Danley DTS-10, JTR Orbit Shifter, and the DIY Gjallerhorn, among others have greater output, I believe.

Still, the Profunder is quite rare and virtually a collectible and while it may not be the ultimate in output, it is still a very fine subwoofer. Here is the review of the Profunder 320:

http://www.acmebass.com/archive_file...er_09-1999.pdf
post #20 of 20 Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:

Whise Profunders; I have the professional review of the $4,900 each Profunder 320 done by Don Keele in Audio Magazine in September 1999. That is when I first learned of the Profunder. Excellent output and depth at a high price. Tomlinson Holman the TH in THX is the US marketer of the Australian Profunder 624 at TMH.com. The Profunder was one of the best when it was tested in 1999, but my sense is that other subs have eclipsed it. For example, the Danley DTS-10, JTR Orbit Shifter, and the DIY Gjallerhorn, among others have greater output, I believe.

Still, the Profunder is quite rare and virtually a collectible and while it may not be the ultimate in output, it is still a very fine subwoofer. Here is the review of the Profunder 320:

http://www.acmebass.com/archive_file...er_09-1999.pdf

I agree with your comments. My Whise Profunders are the 624s and were sold as a pair. The Submersives also outclass them. The Profunders are passive subs and require an outboard amp and crossover.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page