KC High End Subwoofer Blind Audition Interest Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

omnimic says 134 at 17 feet when cranking the dual orbit shifters


Anyone still alive?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2012, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
brandonnash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: murfreesboro, tn
Posts: 3,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post


Anyone still alive?

No quick replies so I'm thinking either they were done in or incapacitated. Sounds like that was a good time.
brandonnash is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

omnimic says 134 at 17 feet when cranking the dual orbit shifters

134? Is that all you got?
mojomike is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HuskerHarley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Lincoln,Neb
Posts: 1,464
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10


HH
HuskerHarley is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
capecodorthopod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: cape cod
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
^^^
I never thought about horn loaded ears!
I could have saved a lot of $$ by getting those ears and a pair of Bics instead of my pair of Submersives
:-p
Tim
capecodorthopod is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post



HH

I think you can actually pick up HBO with that thing.
mojomike is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benclement11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Since I'm not allowed to post on the first page of the other thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
"No -- I didn't like them better. As to the orbit shifter - a mix of ported and sealed sound is probably the right terminology for the orbit shifter, but I still prefer the cap sound personally."




You can say this because you didn't have to be put on the spot with blindly scoring them. If everyone ends up being off on there determination...where does that put you?

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
.
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
benclement11 is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,608
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 604
I really think I know which subs were the Caps, but I need my da*n sheet. the only sub that I marked more than one 3 for a score on movies and I wrote 3rd favorite for music. Can't wait to see how wrong I am.
carp is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
benclement11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I really think I know which subs were the Caps, but I need my da*n sheet. the only sub that I marked more than one 3 for a score on movies and I wrote 3rd favorite for music. Can't wait to see how wrong I am.

You should put your guesses on your post. I noticed a few of you didn't indicate what you thought each sub was...which I feel is a major part of this and the most interesting. It will be easy to say that you "knew" it was sub "X" after the subs are revealed. I think you and 1 or 2 others are the only ones without your guesses indicated.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
.
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
benclement11 is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,608
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 604
I did. I think sub C was the submersive and the the sub that I marked on the sheet as 3rd place for music is the Cap but I don't remember what letter sub it was. Sub D was weak, but I don't want to guess what it was.

As for the rest I need my sheet (turned it at the end of the night) to help my old man memory.
carp is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

Since I'm not allowed to post on the first page of the other thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
"No -- I didn't like them better. As to the orbit shifter - a mix of ported and sealed sound is probably the right terminology for the orbit shifter, but I still prefer the cap sound personally."




You can say this because you didn't have to be put on the spot with blindly scoring them. If everyone ends up being off on there determination...where does that put you?

off


but happy! and unembarrassed!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Hey guys - benclement is right! Please post your guesses if you want any shot at seeing these results...

Jeff P. has loose lips...Mark keep Jeff under control will ya?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,382
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
nube is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
who is wulfcomp? I can't put a face with that name and when I type it up no name comes up at avsforum? I'm looking at his scoresheet right now trying to tie it to the proper attendee?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Michael I have respect for you...

you know why...

Apparently you don't have loose lips!!!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

who is wulfcomp? I can't put a face with that name and when I type it up no name comes up at avsforum? I'm looking at his scoresheet right now trying to tie it to the proper attendee?

Thats Robby. Hes the friend I brought with me. He claims he is going to register and post some thoughts under the name wulfcomp. His store is called Wulf Computers.
stitch1 is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mojomike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 6,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You guys are killing me here. I'm very curious about the results.
mojomike is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

Thats Robby. Hes the friend I brought with me. He claims he is going to register and post some thoughts under the name wulfcomp. His store is called Wulf Computers.

Tell him to get on it. I don't want to post results until we have identity guesses in and subjective comments written and timestamped!!!!!

I've only slept two hours in the last 48 and about 6 in the last 72 -- so I can go to bed and sleep real well without posting the results first...if you guys want to cause delays

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Senior Member
 
klh007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With virtually no sleep for 3 days Archaea, maybe you should get some sleep and post the results Monday? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! We want the answers tonight.

Kemper Holt
klh007 is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I wouldn't count on him posting anytime soon. He's kinda in the dog house.
stitch1 is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Elkhorn, NE
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Michael I have respect for you...

you know why...

Apparently you don't have loose lips!!!

Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to reading HuskerOmaha's write-up. It was interesting hearing his opinions of the subs on the drive home.

Thanks for hosting the meet and arranging everything. I had a great time talking with you and the other guys and really liked the blind method of listening that you were able to implement.
desertdome is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Senior Member
 
kwarny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12



The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Stephen Hawking

 

Kyle Bosso - SOB

kwarny is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwarny View Post




you stole my cats!!!

Give em back!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Senior Member
 
LINEARX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pottsboro, Texas
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Archaea and all the rest of you bass heads.
Looking at the remarks and the judging done by each of you, it WAS a long an arduous undertaking just to sit, listen, and judge each of the 7 subs.
The setup by Archaea and the experts made the listening tests as "fair" as could be under the conditions present in Archaea's HT area.
Then add to it a "blasting" session at the end where they took no prisoners, must have left all of you, except Carp who wore ear plugs, with semi deafness. Hope your ears recover . . . . 134DBs that's like putting your ear up to a diesel train horn.
The overall results show that sealed and ported subs cannot easily be discerned by this blind listening test alone.
There seemed to be a discernible difference between subs but not everyone agreed which sounded "better".
Without letting the more powerful subs play at their max output, the other subs "quality" of presentation kept them close.
I haven't yet seen the list of the subs and their place in line of presentation.
Like most of the test listeners who thought their guesses as to which sub was which might be completely wrong or even if they new which was ported or sealed, I'm anxious to find out how well they guessed. The laughs are still to come.
A special Thanks to Mark and Jeff, our two favorite professional sub guys. They are almost single handedly responsible for the continued increase in quality of subs amongst the general public. I wish continued success for their business enterprise.
LINEARX is offline  
Old 01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HuskerOmaha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Omaha
Posts: 2,206
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINEARX View Post

Thanks Archaea and all the rest of you bass heads.
Looking at the remarks and the judging done by each of you, it WAS a long an arduous undertaking just to sit, listen, and judge each of the 7 subs.
The setup by Archaea and the experts made the listening tests as "fair" as could be under the conditions present in Archaea's HT area.
Then add to it a "blasting" session at the end where they took no prisoners, must have left all of you, except Carp who wore ear plugs, with semi deafness. Hope your ears recover . . . . 134DBs that's like putting your ear up to a diesel train horn.
The overall results show that sealed and ported subs cannot easily be discerned by this blind listening test alone.
There seemed to be a discernible difference between subs but not everyone agreed which sounded "better".
Without letting the more powerful subs play at their max output, the other subs "quality" of presentation kept them close.
I haven't yet seen the list of the subs and their place in line of presentation.
Like most of the test listeners who thought their guesses as to which sub was which might be completely wrong or even if they new which was ported or sealed, I'm anxious to find out how well they guessed. The laughs are still to come.
A special Thanks to Mark and Jeff, our two favorite professional sub guys. They are almost single handedly responsible for the continued increase in quality of subs amongst the general public. I wish continued success for their business enterprise.

I agree with the majority of your statements...Mark and Jeff were fun to talk to...and I think half of us had ear protection for the diesel train horn.

I inherently disagree with the bolded above which I'll get into in the results thread after Archaea posts results...since it won't matter which subs are what regarding that discussion
HuskerOmaha is offline  
Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 6,584
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 870
results just in




Here ya go - if you didn't know there was a new thread...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1387178

Feel free to pick up discussion there and let this planning thread die...

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Archaea is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off