In-wall subwoofer options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 518
For those looking for good in-wall subwoofer options, take a look at BG Radia BGX-S12B subwoofer modules. http://www.bgcorp.com/subwoofer-speakers.html

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
AVS has an invested interest?

I better watch my sarcasm.......don't need a 3 point penalty!

If AVS has access to this product...........well, I'd be interested!

Not too many options for compact, ie. less than 4" depth subs that can plunge near 20 hz, no vibration and maintain THX specs. I've had my eye on this system for smoothing lower frequencies....and to use in columns along back/side seating area......should work well with dual LMS 5400 Ultra's up front!

Velodyne IF/IC mated with matching amp is another viable option, but 10" depth is too much for columns.

Procella has a new single 10'' woofer with 7 inch depth............but their new DSP enabled amp has no pricing, therefore an unknown quantity.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-03-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

AVS has an invested interest?

I better watch my sarcasm.......don't need a 3 point penalty!

If AVS has access to this product...........well, I'd be interested!

Not too many options for compact, ie. less than 4" depth subs that can plunge near 20 hz, no vibration and maintain THX specs. I've had my eye on this system for smoothing lower frequencies....and to use in columns along back/side seating area......should work well with dual LMS 5400 Ultra's up front!

Velodyne IF/IC mated with matching amp is another viable option, but 10" depth is too much for columns.

Procella has a new single 10'' woofer with 7 inch depth............but their new DSP enabled amp has no pricing, therefore an unknown quantity.

Call me and we can discuss sub options. LMS 5400, man what a driver.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 15 Old 11-04-2011, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's pretty amazing what the BG Radia system can do. I had 4 of the full size modules briefly to demo in my room. Actually was going to use them is my Demo room, as I am a dealer for them as well. But after testing them out for awhile, I found they dropped pretty quickly under 25Hz, and I wanted pretty flat response to at least 15Hz so I sent them back. But they dissappeared more than any subwoofer I have ever owned (well over 20 through the years), and sounded incredible for music! BG Radia makes some great speakers overall, I love my theater system!
post #5 of 15 Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

It's pretty amazing what the BG Radia system can do. I had 4 of the full size modules briefly to demo in my room. Actually was going to use them is my Demo room, as I am a dealer for them as well. But after testing them out for awhile, I found they dropped pretty quickly under 25Hz, and I wanted pretty flat response to at least 15Hz so I sent them back. But they dissappeared more than any subwoofer I have ever owned (well over 20 through the years), and sounded incredible for music! BG Radia makes some great speakers overall, I love my theater system!

Some people that I have spoken with have said they got flat response to 20hz in room. For sound quality, people rave about them.

post #6 of 15 Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 05 View Post

Some people that I have spoken with have said they got flat response to 20hz in room. For sound quality, people rave about them.

I have no doubt in some rooms it would be able to be flat to 20Hz. In mine with 4 of the S12B's it was down about 6dB or so, flat to 25Hz. A single Submersive (non-HP) was noticably better.
No doubt about the sound quality though, I thought for music the BG clearly sounded better than the single SubM, not a surprise as with 4 of the S12B's response was very even throughout the room.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-05-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

I have no doubt in some rooms it would be able to be flat to 20Hz. In mine with 4 of the S12B's it was down about 6dB or so, flat to 25Hz. A single Submersive (non-HP) was noticably better.
No doubt about the sound quality though, I thought for music the BG clearly sounded better than the single SubM, not a surprise as with 4 of the S12B's response was very even throughout the room.

I think these are a great choice for those that use their rooms for music and HT. For those that want more lower end for HT, I would add a sealed sub with a boosted low end, but not let it go very high. Some thing like a nice 18" and let it cover from 10hz to 30hz. You could even locate the sealed sub near field. Just add the sealed sub when doing movies.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 05 View Post

I think these are a great choice for those that use their rooms for music and HT. For those that want more lower end for HT, I would add a sealed sub with a boosted low end, but not let it go very high. Some thing like a nice 18" and let it cover from 10hz to 30hz. You could even locate the sealed sub near field. Just add the sealed sub when doing movies.

Hitting 25 hz is no problemo............

Very hard to find subs with diminutive stature, yet deliver the goods anywhere near 20 hz. I'm looking for leveling subs that can deliver.......this system might be possible.

I've looked real hard at using 3-4 Velodyne IF/IC subs that are 10" deep in back/side columns.......more depth than I like. The 3.5" depth of the RB Radia sub-system is really intriguing.............

As far as the LMS Ultras............I've never heard a better sub and I've been a Velodyne DD owner for many years! Using the Ultra's for 10-30 hz would be one heck of a difficult proposition. Using two LMS Ultras for low end to 80 hz and filling in with the BGX S12B system has potential!

Have to find a dealer and hear for myself.......
post #9 of 15 Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hitting 25 hz is no problemo............

Very hard to find subs with diminutive stature, yet deliver the goods anywhere near 20 hz. I'm looking for leveling subs that can deliver.......this system might be possible.

I've looked real hard at using 3-4 Velodyne IF/IC subs that are 10" deep in back/side columns.......more depth than I like. The 3.5" depth of the RB Radia sub-system is really intriguing.............

As far as the LMS Ultras............I've never heard a better sub and I've been a Velodyne DD owner for many years! Using the Ultra's for 10-30 hz would be one heck of a difficult proposition. Using two LMS Ultras for low end to 80 hz and filling in with the BGX S12B system has potential!

Have to find a dealer and hear for myself.......

I would not waste an LMS Ultra for 30hz and down either. I was thinking of a lower cost 18, but I guess there aren't many of those actually. Even the Mal-X is gone now.

post #10 of 15 Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't see any specs regarding the low limit of extension. Isn't that usually a big red flag regarding expected performance?

What's the +/-3db low point?

I didn't see anything regarding how low this goes on the "spec" sheet. Anyone have measurements or anything?
post #11 of 15 Old 11-06-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 View Post

I didn't see any specs regarding the low limit of extension. Isn't that usually a big red flag regarding expected performance?

What's the +/-3db low point?

I didn't see anything regarding how low this goes on the "spec" sheet. Anyone have measurements or anything?

I came across a review several months ago with complete measurements.............I recall measured result was +/-3deebers at 22hz. Of course that was in the reviewers room....can't remember the size of the room.

There were a few weird anomalies concerning distortion........

The review found bumps at certain frequencies-I believe there were two- in the form of 10-15% distortion.........which the reviewer found highly unusual. I believe over 30 hz SPL was an unbelievable 120 deebers!!

The reviewer's conclusions were fine for me as I would use this system to smooth out room response and levels. The dual LMS 5400's up front will do the heavy work...........the four other in-cabinet subs would do the refinement at all seating positions.

Considering price and small stature.........this system is a steal! Also, not to mention I will not be punting a column every time I walk by it!!!
post #12 of 15 Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering price and small stature.........this system is a steal!

Where's the pricing info? All I found googling was $6900 (two year old review).

I'm thinking that for $7000 there are alot of contenders.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-07-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 View Post

Where's the pricing info? All I found googling was $6900 (two year old review).

I'm thinking that for $7000 there are alot of contenders.

MSRP is $1,000 for the BGX-S12B and $1,500 for the BGX-A2 subwoofer amp. The amp will power two BGX-S12B modules. So if you were looking at four BGX-S12B's and two BGX-A2 amps then the price is $7,000 MSRP.

post #14 of 15 Old 01-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Not many threads on these BG Radia's.. But I'm definitely intrigued. I'm moving into a house w/ a room that's 16' x 20x with 9' ceilings. The room has lots of french doors around it (it's the living room), with a 9' opening to the dining room, although we are going to hang some barn doors that slide ove the openings to close the room off. We'll have some heavy black our drapes over the french doors to the side and behind the seating area.

Purely for WAF factor, since she's hated my UFW-12 sub sitting in the corner and would love if I got rid of it, I'm looking for an in wall solution. This seems pricey, but if it sounds as good as everyone says and disappears off the floor it might be worth it. Given my room size & budget, I was thinking of just 2 of these behind the sitting area. Wall in front of us will be reclaimed barnwood and I'm already hanging a 100" black diamond screen on it, so no way 2 white grates coming out of that as well..

For speakers I have the Anthony Gallo reference speakers http://www.roundsound.com/reference-strada.php the side and rear are the Adiva Ti's http://www.roundsound.com/adiva-ti.php

I love the sound of these speakers so a great sub to match would be great.

I have a Denon 4311 that powers the speakers. Projector is the Epson 5010.

Would love your advice on these!! Anyone selling a used set? smile.gif
post #15 of 15 Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
still looking for some advice or anyone who's had these?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page