Subwoofer surge protector recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
htdhvy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a JL Audio Fathom f113 and am looking for surge protector recommendations. In particular, i want something that does not limit the current at all and just provides protection from surges.

I was wondering if this would do the trick. Its a Monster Power SW 200.

Thanks in advance!

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

HtdHvy's (ever-evolving) Audiophile Home Theater Rig
htdhvy is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mpray1983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Delaware, philly
Posts: 2,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That seems fine for the price.. I use a merit line conditioner that I got used for les than $40 on eBay and it took away the hum and I think it sounds better.
Mpray1983 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Member
 
spareho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I Asked same question awhile back never really got an answer. I used pass& Seymour 20 amp surge outlets. Got them locally for 18 dollars. I guess I will use them until I hear otherwise.
spareho is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This one comes highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CPS...=5336055023-20

One guy is using it with his 3,400 watt power amp.
spyboy is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,636
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by htdhvy View Post

I have a JL Audio Fathom f113 and am looking for surge protector recommendations. In particular, i want something that does not limit the current at all and just provides protection from surges.

I was wondering if this would do the trick. Its a Monster Power SW 200.

Thanks in advance!

If you go to advance search, use the title search only option and "surge" as your search word, you'll find dozens of threads on surge protection for subwoofers.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
rboster is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I spoke to Barry Ober of JL a while ago on surge suppression for their products, and if I recall correctly, he recommended SurgeX. I'll check my notes when I get home to make sure that's the brand.

The other option would be to get a whole house surge suppressor.
bfreedma is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

I spoke to Barry Ober of JL a while ago on surge suppression for their products, and if I recall correctly, he recommended SurgeX. I'll check my notes when I get home to make sure that's the brand.

The other option would be to get a whole house surge suppressor.

SurgeX makes some pretty expensive looking devices. Seems like their least expensive models have a UPS built in. You can't even see prices on their web site, you have to contact a sales rep for your state!

Whole house is also an expensive proposition.

I point this out as the OP asked about a $10 Monster sub surge. For another ~$45 I suggested this, which is used by a number of members here with complete satisfaction.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CPS...=5336055023-20

Given the opportunity, JL Audio might well recommend the Gotham sub. Doesn't mean it is necessary. Perhaps you recall the JL factory tour. The demo room had about 5 subs running simultaneously in it, perhaps more. The sound was great but the cost of the subs in the demo room must have totaled about $20,000.

Overkill is great if you have the money and are so inclined.
spyboy is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,636
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

SurgeX makes some pretty expensive looking devices. Seems like their least expensive models have a UPS built in. You can't even see prices on their web site, you have to contact a sales rep for your state!

Whole house is also an expensive proposition.

I point this out as the OP asked about a $10 Monster sub surge. For another ~$45 I suggested this, which is used by a number of members here with complete satisfaction.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CPS...=5336055023-20

Given the opportunity, JL Audio might well recommend the Gotham sub. Doesn't mean it is necessary. Perhaps you recall the JL factory tour. The demo room had about 5 subs running simultaneously in it, perhaps more. The sound was great but the cost of the subs in the demo room must have totaled about $20,000.

Overkill is great if you have the money and are so inclined.

That looks like a terrific suggestion. They also have a 15amp version for those needing that model. I ordered that one to try out on my sub. The rest of my gear is covered by Furman products, since I live in a house where we still have (in some parts of the home...not the HT) the original 1925 wiring.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
rboster is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

SurgeX makes some pretty expensive looking devices. Seems like their least expensive models have a UPS built in. You can't even see prices on their web site, you have to contact a sales rep for your state!

Whole house is also an expensive proposition.

I point this out as the OP asked about a $10 Monster sub surge. For another ~$45 I suggested this, which is used by a number of members here with complete satisfaction.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CPS...=5336055023-20

Given the opportunity, JL Audio might well recommend the Gotham sub. Doesn't mean it is necessary. Perhaps you recall the JL factory tour. The demo room had about 5 subs running simultaneously in it, perhaps more. The sound was great but the cost of the subs in the demo room must have totaled about $20,000.

Overkill is great if you have the money and are so inclined.

The OP asked for a recommended surge suppressor for an F113 and I had information directly from their engineer. JL doesn't sell the device and the OP doesn't have to buy it. If you don't find it useful, feel free to ignore it, but don't intimate that it's not an appropriate response. Seeing as you don't even know the cost of the SurgeX devices, your commenting on value is pure speculation - you could have taken 10 seconds to google SurgeX and gotten a price had you wanted to.

And whole house protection is not an expensive proposition. For less than $400, you can have the unit acquired and installed. That's probably less then what most spend on surge suppression and strips, and it covers everything in the house plugged into an outlet.
bfreedma is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,089
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

That looks like a terrific suggestion. They also have a 15amp version for those needing that model. I ordered that one to try out on my sub. The rest of my gear is covered by Furman products, since I live in a house where we still have (in some parts of the home...not the HT) the original 1925 wiring.

^^^^

What this Moderator said, $52 or less.

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CPS...=5336055023-20
spyboy is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 AM
Newbie
 
computergeek13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for the something, but most of the searches pointed to a large surge protector, already have an apc h15 LC at the theater, looking for a surge protector on the other side of the room for just the sub. Don't have anything else over there, so at most need 2 outlets ont he surge.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Would that monster one be a good fit?
computergeek13 is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 9,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
This is all you need, assuming you need anything at all:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_90996-66906-PB002105L_0__?productId=3172663&Ntt=surge+protectors&Ns=p_product_price|0

You'd only need it if your sub amp doesn't already have surge protection built in.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off