Subwoofer surge protector recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a JL Audio Fathom f113 and am looking for surge protector recommendations. In particular, i want something that does not limit the current at all and just provides protection from surges.

I was wondering if this would do the trick. Its a Monster Power SW 200.

Thanks in advance!

Revel Ultima2 Salon2 [pair] || Revel Ultima2 Voice2 || Revel Ultima2 Gem2 [quad] || JL Audio Fathom f212 [pair]
Mark Levinson No 502 || Bel Canto REF1000 [pair] || Rotel RB-1090 || Rotel RMB-1095 || Furman IT-Reference 20i

HtdHvy's (ever-evolving) Audiophile Home Theater Rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That seems fine for the price.. I use a merit line conditioner that I got used for les than $40 on eBay and it took away the hum and I think it sounds better.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM

Liked: 10
I Asked same question awhile back never really got an answer. I used pass& Seymour 20 amp surge outlets. Got them locally for 18 dollars. I guess I will use them until I hear otherwise.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
This one comes highly recommended:

http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CPS...=5336055023-20

One guy is using it with his 3,400 watt power amp.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by htdhvy View Post

I have a JL Audio Fathom f113 and am looking for surge protector recommendations. In particular, i want something that does not limit the current at all and just provides protection from surges.

I was wondering if this would do the trick. Its a Monster Power SW 200.

Thanks in advance!

If you go to advance search, use the title search only option and "surge" as your search word, you'll find dozens of threads on surge protection for subwoofers.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #6 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I spoke to Barry Ober of JL a while ago on surge suppression for their products, and if I recall correctly, he recommended SurgeX. I'll check my notes when I get home to make sure that's the brand.

The other option would be to get a whole house surge suppressor.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

I spoke to Barry Ober of JL a while ago on surge suppression for their products, and if I recall correctly, he recommended SurgeX. I'll check my notes when I get home to make sure that's the brand.

The other option would be to get a whole house surge suppressor.

SurgeX makes some pretty expensive looking devices. Seems like their least expensive models have a UPS built in. You can't even see prices on their web site, you have to contact a sales rep for your state!

Whole house is also an expensive proposition.

I point this out as the OP asked about a $10 Monster sub surge. For another ~$45 I suggested this, which is used by a number of members here with complete satisfaction.

Given the opportunity, JL Audio might well recommend the Gotham sub. Doesn't mean it is necessary. Perhaps you recall the JL factory tour. The demo room had about 5 subs running simultaneously in it, perhaps more. The sound was great but the cost of the subs in the demo room must have totaled about $20,000.

Overkill is great if you have the money and are so inclined.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

SurgeX makes some pretty expensive looking devices. Seems like their least expensive models have a UPS built in. You can't even see prices on their web site, you have to contact a sales rep for your state!

I point this out as the OP asked about a $10 Monster sub surge. For another ~$45 I suggested this, which is used by a number of members here with complete satisfaction.

Given the opportunity, JL Audio might well recommend the Gotham sub. Doesn't mean it is necessary. Perhaps you recall the JL factory tour. The demo room had about 5 subs running simultaneously in it, perhaps more. The sound was great but the cost of the subs in the demo room must have totaled about $20,000.

That looks like a terrific suggestion. They also have a 15amp version for those needing that model. I ordered that one to try out on my sub. The rest of my gear is covered by Furman products, since I live in a house where we still have (in some parts of the home...not the HT) the original 1925 wiring.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #9 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

The OP asked for a recommended surge suppressor for an F113 and I had information directly from their engineer. JL doesn't sell the device and the OP doesn't have to buy it. If you don't find it useful, feel free to ignore it, but don't intimate that it's not an appropriate response. Seeing as you don't even know the cost of the SurgeX devices, your commenting on value is pure speculation - you could have taken 10 seconds to google SurgeX and gotten a price had you wanted to.

And whole house protection is not an expensive proposition. For less than $400, you can have the unit acquired and installed. That's probably less then what most spend on surge suppression and strips, and it covers everything in the house plugged into an outlet.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

That looks like a terrific suggestion. They also have a 15amp version for those needing that model. I ordered that one to try out on my sub. The rest of my gear is covered by Furman products, since I live in a house where we still have (in some parts of the home...not the HT) the original 1925 wiring.

^^^^

What this Moderator said, $52 or less.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 AM

Liked: 10
I'm looking for the something, but most of the searches pointed to a large surge protector, already have an apc h15 LC at the theater, looking for a surge protector on the other side of the room for just the sub. Don't have anything else over there, so at most need 2 outlets ont he surge.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Would that monster one be a good fit?
post #12 of 12 Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
This is all you need, assuming you need anything at all:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_90996-66906-PB002105L_0__?productId=3172663&Ntt=surge+protectors&Ns=p_product_price|0

You'd only need it if your sub amp doesn't already have surge protection built in.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page