Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1006 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20632Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #30151 of 30159 Old Today, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1481317328
Was able to do a quick calibration before I left. Slapped in world war z and ran the grenade scene. Speechless and just pure ear orgasm. Will have to do some more fine tuning when I get back. Everyone have a safe and happy holidays.
Hey Joe just a quick suggestion: put a throw rung under the sub (driver) and see how the sound changes, I think you'll prefer that, just a suggestion my friend..
joe801 likes this.
ahblaza is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #30152 of 30159 Old Today, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
@Alan I see you're not using RC anymore, can you tell me why and what you did to get the FR as good as you said it was, I'm all ears. My FR is so flat I believe I'm missing some impact (sterile) although it does sound very good with the V1800s. Considering adding a third, been chatting with Jim and working on some ideas. I really need to learn how to use this miniDSP that's been unopened for two years now.....I'm just a bit concerned about the input voltage of the unbalanced version, that;'s still no excuse not to use it............. Thanks
joe801 likes this.
ahblaza is online now  
post #30153 of 30159 Old Today, 04:28 PM
Senior Member
 
joe801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alpine, utah
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Joe just a quick suggestion: put a throw rung under the sub (driver) and see how the sound changes, I think you'll prefer that, just a suggestion my friend..
Do you mean throw rug?
joe801 is online now  
post #30154 of 30159 Old Today, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Hey Claw, you need to post those graphs (sub(s) only) with no smoothing, I see you're using 1/6th, I see you also corrected the vertical axis to read 5dB increments instead of 10dB No smoothing will reveal more problematic areas and will be easier to interpret.
The REW PDF suggests running the sub sweeps with the left speaker going. Is that not right? I have the AVR crossed over at 80 hz. I assumed that this was beneficial to see how well the speaker and sub crossed over together.

I understand that 1/6th smoothing is fine for bass, or mostly, not true?

So 5 or 10 db axis?

I'll run some more stuff tonight.



"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
ClawAndTalon is online now  
post #30155 of 30159 Old Today, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
The REW PDF suggests running the sub sweeps with the left speaker going. Is that not right? I have the AVR crossed over at 80 hz. I assumed that this was beneficial to see how well the speaker and sub crossed over together.

I understand that 1/6th smoothing is fine for bass, or mostly, not true?

So 5 or 10 db axis?

I'll run some more stuff tonight.
5dB is correct for the vertical axis with all REW measurements. When doing sub sweeps with a speaker it's best to use CC + subs 15-200 or 300Hz, also any speaker can be used L+R or L only or R only and keep your crossover set to whatever you generally use. It reaaly doesn't matter if you use the left speaker but if you're trying to set your bass response for HT duty it's reco'd to use the CC. This also pertains to the sub distance tweak after calibration. Regardless of of speaker (s) used when trying to measure bass response you want the graphs with no smoothing unless you're doing full range speaker sub measurements.

1/6th is not used for bass response 15-300Hz with speakers + subs or subs only measurements. You said you were doing compression sweeps if I recall, that's subs only measurements. There's a couple ways to do sub only measurements, set your mains to large select HDMI 4 and run the sweep, you can also set the LPF/LFE to the highest value or off in the AVR speaker menu setup, use HDMI 4 and sweep 15-200Hz, I use 15-100Hz. Here's an example of a compression sweep with subs only no smoothing added.

Hope this helps......



This 15-100Hz starting at -20dB MV to 0 dB MV, you can see some slight compression on the last sweep at 0dB..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COMP SWEEP -3DBFS.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1821849  
ahblaza is online now  
post #30156 of 30159 Old Today, 05:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
ClawAndTalon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Atlanta, GA.
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
5dB is correct for the vertical axis with all REW measurements. When doing sub sweeps with a speaker it's best to use CC + subs 15-200 or 300Hz, also any speaker can be used L+R or L only or R only and keep your crossover set to whatever you generally use. It reaaly doesn't matter if you use the left speaker but if you're trying to set your bass response for HT duty it's reco'd to use the CC. This also pertains to the sub distance tweak after calibration. Regardless of of speaker (s) used when trying to measure bass response you want the graphs with no smoothing unless you're doing full range speaker sub measurements.

1/6th is not used for bass response 15-300Hz with speakers + subs or subs only measurements. You said you were doing compression sweeps if I recall, that's subs only measurements. There's a couple ways to do sub only measurements, set your mains to large select HDMI 4 and run the sweep, you can also set the LPF/LFE to the highest value or off in the AVR speaker menu setup, use HDMI 4 and sweep 15-200Hz, I use 15-100Hz. Here's an example of a compression sweep with subs only no smoothing added.

Hope this helps......



This 15-100Hz starting at -20dB MV to 0 dB MV, you can see some slight compression on the last sweep at 0dB..........
Thanks!

I'm using the headphone jack on my laptop to AUX RCA on my AVR, which will change many of the things you mentioned. I'm guessing if the speakers are playing with a crossover it shouldn't really matter as long as you know the crossover point.



"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
ClawAndTalon is online now  
post #30157 of 30159 Old Today, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Thanks!

I'm using the headphone jack on my laptop to AUX RCA on my AVR, which will change many of the things you mentioned. I'm guessing if the speakers are playing with a crossover it shouldn't really matter as long as you know the crossover point.
Yes that's correct, all things will change. To find the best crossover from speaker to sub I would take a speaker only measurement, say the left speaker and then a sub(s) only measurement and overlay the two graphs and this will help to determine the best (Hz) crossover to use. How to do it with the Java driver I don't know, others may be able to help. I'll try to find a graph(s) I have to further help you understand what I'm saying with different XOs used and you'll see why I choose the XO I did.
ahblaza is online now  
post #30158 of 30159 Old Today, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe801 View Post
Do you mean throw rug?
Yeah Joe that will be fine, I don't have plush carpeting so anything IMO would be better than a bare floor or maybe I'm out of my mind as well..........Others will confirm my sanity or insanity

Cheers Jeffrey
joe801 likes this.
ahblaza is online now  
post #30159 of 30159 Old Today, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
joe801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alpine, utah
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Yeah Joe that will be fine, I don't have plush carpeting so anything IMO would be better than a bare floor or maybe I'm out of my mind as well..........Others will confirm my sanity or insanity

Cheers Jeffrey
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll have to try it when I get back home. What do you think about using a piece of anti fatigue mat?
joe801 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off