Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 20376Likes

post #3151 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked: 4232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

Ah, so it's really going to depend on my room/setup. Of course that means the only way I'm really going to know what will work best for me is to try them out. Perhaps I need to factor in possible return shipping costs into my budget.

I took a look at that review on the Shack site.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/6006-svs-20-39pc-16-hz-tune-db12-2-a.html

It looks pretty good to my uneducated eye. Any thoughts on it?

Here's another option I have considered at the cheap end of the scale. My 16-46PC+ has the original dB12 driver. I understand the current version, dB12.3, is a couple generations newer and is more resistant to bottoming out, and perhaps it also performs better in other ways? I thought maybe trying the new driver, getting an EQ unit to tame peaks combined with experimenting with placement (I'm currently have no EQ or room correction). Thoughts?

smile.gif

Yeah, overall it looks fine, especially considering it is what a 10 year old design? Here is the CEA stuff

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/5748-cea-2010-standard-compilation.html

You can see the overall 2010-CEA data and compare it to the data on Josh's site.

When you look at the data for the subwoofers that Ilkka and Josh both measured the results are very close.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LOL! Yeah, I saw that too. Where the heck was he keeping that thing? Mine has never been that dusty in the 10 years I've had it (and I rarely dust under there redface.gif ).

In Ilkka's defense I believe almost all/all of the subs he measured where brought to the testing location by their owners on the day they would be measured..smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
post #3153 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just a question for all, just wondering if most level match or gain match subs. Is there really a big difference in sound. Does one have advantages over the other.

post #3154 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

In Ilkka's defense I believe almost all/all of the subs he measured where brought to the testing location by their owners on the day they would be measured..smile.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

So does a thick layer of dust help reduce audible harmonic distortion? (hehehehe......just kidding......sorry, I couldnt resist biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif )

post #3155 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, overall it looks fine, especially considering it is what a 10 year old design? Here is the CEA stuff

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests-archived/5748-cea-2010-standard-compilation.html

You can see the overall 2010-CEA data and compare it to the data on Josh's site.

When you look at the data for the subwoofers that Ilkka and Josh both measured the results are very close.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Thanks for the link.

Any thoughts on my budget upgrade idea (new driver for my sub, EQ, different placement)? If you prefer, you can email or PM me.

post #3156 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Yeah Ilka's never has had a cylinder of his own. smile.gif
Quote:
So does a thick layer of dust help reduce audible harmonic distortion? (hehehehe......just kidding......sorry, I couldnt resist )

Good thought wink.gif

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #3157 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So does a thick layer of dust help reduce audible harmonic distortion? (hehehehe......just kidding......sorry, I couldnt resist biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif )

If you look hard enough I bet you could find someone claiming that somewhere on the net..smile.gif Some of the tweako claims I've seen are in the same ballpark.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #3158 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link.

Any thoughts on my budget upgrade idea (new driver for my sub, EQ, different placement)? If you prefer, you can email or PM me.

IIRC from our emails(or this thread) you more or less are satisfied with the 46PC+, except for the fact that it bottoms on the most demanding source material?

Going with a different 12" driver could potentially solve that. The trick will be

1)finding a 12" that will work well in that large of an enclosure with a large amount of throw.
2)making sure the driver will be close enough in the t/s that when combined with the built in EQing of your amp....the end FR is close.

I can't think of any offhand...but you'd be looking at $200 minimum I bet.

I know we discussed this via email but you may also consider simply tuning the 46PC+ higher via installation of shorter porting. Then you could set the amp to 20hz or 25hz mode. When you find the second 46PC+ you have been looking for...retune the original unit back to 16hz?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #3159 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

IIRC from our emails(or this thread) you more or less are satisfied with the 46PC+, except for the fact that it bottoms on the most demanding source material?

Going with a different 12" driver could potentially solve that. The trick will be

1)finding a 12" that will work well in that large of an enclosure with a large amount of throw.
2)making sure the driver will be close enough in the t/s that when combined with the built in EQing of your amp....the end FR is close.

I can't think of any offhand...but you'd be looking at $200 minimum I bet.

I know we discussed this via email but you may also consider simply tuning the 46PC+ higher via installation of shorter porting. Then you could set the amp to 20hz or 25hz mode. When you find the second 46PC+ you have been looking for...retune the original unit back to 16hz?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

My understanding from Ed is the the dB12.3 driver would be a direct replacement for my current driver (dB12?). I believe he said the new driver runs about $230 (I'll go back and check my emails). He also mentioned that if I'm only experiencing the problem on rare occasion then in his opinion it wasn't worth the cost to upgrade.

Yes, we did discuss raising the tuning frequency (I greatly appreciate the offer to help smile.gif ), but I'd prefer not to give up the extension I currently have.

I started this search thinking my goal was to increase headroom. Now after all the research I've done so far I'm wondering if in addition to extra output/headroom, I will also gain better sound/bass quality from a new sub or driver replacment (a friend also suggested I might be able to update the driver and the amp; I'll have to ask Ed about that).

The good news is that I have a number or options, the bad news is that I have a number of options and can't decide at this point....lol redface.gif

I'll get it worked out eventually. wink.gif

post #3160 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If you look hard enough I bet you could find someone claiming that somewhere on the net..smile.gif Some of the tweako claims I've seen are in the same ballpark.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Hmmm....maybe I'll try puting a brick on my sub; that should do the trick. tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

post #3161 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My understanding from Ed is the the dB12.3 driver would be a direct replacement for my current driver (dB12?). I believe he said the new driver runs about $230 (I'll go back and check my emails). He also mentioned that if I'm only experiencing the problem on rare occasion then in his opinion it wasn't worth the cost to upgrade.

Yes, we did discuss raising the tuning frequency (I greatly appreciate the offer to help smile.gif ), but I'd prefer not to give up the extension I currently have.

I started this search thinking my goal was to increase headroom. Now after all the research I've done so far I'm wondering if in addition to extra output/headroom, I will also gain better sound/bass quality from a new sub or driver replacment (a friend also suggested I might be able to update the driver and the amp; I'll have to ask Ed about that).

The good news is that I have a number or options, the bad news is that I have a number of options and can't decide at this point....lol redface.gif

I'll get it worked out eventually. wink.gif

Yeah, that's same frame, so its drop in. If I had to guess I'd say it would reduce the problem but not eliminate it.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

post #3162 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 462
For those who didn't see them. Here are the finish options on the Triax. Notice that natural maple has now been added as an option.

Satin Black Texture

Cordovan Cherry

Black Ash

American Cherry

Espresso

Natural Maple

You can find a link to the bigger pictures here.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/prism/products/triax

click on the specification tab and scroll down.

ShaunH
post #3163 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

For those who didn't see them. Here are the finish options on the Triax. Notice that natural maple has now been added as an option.

Satin Black Texture

Cordovan Cherry

Black Ash

American Cherry

Espresso

Natural Maple

You can find a link to the bigger pictures here.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/prism/products/triax

click on the specification tab and scroll down.

Nice! biggrin.gif

post #3164 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I prefer piano black, but satin black looks tough smile.gif

Paradigm Studio 10 v5 | Paradigm CC 490 v5 | Mirage Prestige Nanosat | PSA XS30 | Anthem MRX 310
post #3165 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 4775
I would go with black ash...always preferred black over other finishes for speakers. However the cordovan cherry looks decent....not a fan of the maple at all, looks like pine imo.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #3166 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Espresso looks nice.

Boom Boom, out go the lights.
post #3167 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 338
That Cordovan Cherry is gorgeous.

Time to start saving up.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

"If it works the first time, it's not high end." ~ Harry Pierson
post #3168 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice! biggrin.gif

No kidding its a good thing I can't afford the Triax. Because I would be stuck between Cordovan Cherry, American Cherry and Espresso. Their all so good looking. I think I might be drooling... But then again I've always liked dark woods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0n1n View Post

I prefer piano black, but satin black looks tough smile.gif

Piano is nice I'm afraid I would scratch and speakers up badly with piano finish. That and its expensive. I would guess it would cost more than the veneer options and take longer.

ShaunH
post #3169 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Time to start saving up.

I here ya! I really want to try a Triax but my Wife for the first time ever is not approving of it. She says the XV15's are just fine and it would look dumb just having one sub. I think she likes the powered end tables theme.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #3170 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manonfire View Post

Just a question for all, just wondering if most level match or gain match subs. Is there really a big difference in sound. Does one have advantages over the other.

I don't think there is a difference. The general conscious is don't go over the 0 in the sub level setting in your receiver as your can clip your sub output and that power sound audio subs have a more realistic gain and its fine as long as its not set at maximum. I'm not sure if that's what you meant though.

ShaunH
post #3171 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I here ya! I really want to try a Triax but my Wife for the first time ever is not approving of it. She says the XV15's are just fine and it would look dumb just having one sub. I think she likes the powered end tables theme.

Dose she know you get trade in value? Also a nice veneer for not much more. smile.gif

ShaunH
post #3172 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Time to start saving up.

+1

Klipsch RB-75
Klipsch C-7
Klipsch RB-35
On-going SW management class
Denon
PS3
post #3173 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't think there is a difference. The general conscious is don't go over the 0 in the sub level setting in your receiver as your can clip your sub output and that power sound audio subs have a more realistic gain and its fine as long as its not set at maximum. I'm not sure if that's what you meant though.

Yea I agree...I found that setting the sub gain to 3:00 on the XV15's and pulling about -3db in the avr sounds best and allows slightly more output. I did level match them with a spl meter, but they are really close in comparison to what the dial shows so I dont worry about it.

post #3174 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:

No kidding its a good thing I can't afford the Triax. Because I would be stuck between Cordovan Cherry, American Cherry and Espresso. Their all so good looking. I think I might be drooling... But then again I've always liked dark woods.
Piano is nice I'm afraid I would scratch and speakers up badly with piano finish. That and its expensive. I would guess it would cost more than the veneer options and take longer.

I had a piano finish sub and it was defiantly not a great finish to have while having two small kids.
post #3175 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dose she know you get trade in value? Also a nice veneer for not much more. smile.gif

Ya I told her and she would go for it if I just got one...but she knows me too well, I would have to have dual Triax's lol. Dual subs just look better in a room no matter what you have.

post #3176 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I had a piano finish sub and it was defiantly not a great finish to have while having two small kids.

Oh I see you got the JTR Noesis speakers in finally! How are you liking them?

post #3177 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

Ya I told her and she would go for it if I just got one...but she knows me too well, I would have to have dual Triax's lol. Dual subs just look better in a room no matter what you have.

I don't know if you need two. I assume you have two XV15's

According the CEA-2010 mesurments

XV-15

Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 108.1dB
Low bass (40-63Hz): 116.1dB

*Add 6dB for an equivalent value for a 1m measurement distance.

Triax

Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 116.4dB
Low bass (40-63Hz): 127.1dB

I don't think you would need two maintain output. If you subs are far apart (not stacked) I would assume your getting like 4.-4.5 db's over one XV-15 and the Triax produces more than that (20-31.5hz average ) is a difference of 8.3. But eve more in the upper range (40-63hz average) is 10.7 dbs differnece. I really doubt you would loose any output. biggrin.gif

ShaunH
post #3178 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This has me wondering if I have enough of a sub. YPAO sets mine to +6 with the knob on the XV15 in the 1 o'clock position with the mic at the MLP which is 11 feet from the tv.

post #3179 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogerBomb View Post

This has me wondering if I have enough of a sub. YPAO sets mine to +6 with the knob on the XV15 in the 1 o'clock position.

I would guess this is may be just how YPAO works. The auto calibration isn't full proof.

ShaunH
post #3180 of 29950 Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't know if you need two. I assume you have two XV15's

According the CEA-2010 mesurments

XV-15

Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 108.1dB
Low bass (40-63Hz): 116.1dB

Triax

Ultra-low bass (20-31.5 Hz): 116.4dB
Low bass (40-63Hz): 127.1dB

I don't think you would need two maintain output. If you subs are far apart (not stacked) I would assume your getting like 4.-4.5 db's over one XV-15 and the Triax produces more than that (20-31.5hz average ) is a difference of 8.3. But eve more in the upper range (40-63hz average) is 10.7 dbs differnece. I really doubt you would loose any output. biggrin.gif

yep I agree however my concern is losing coverage across my seating areas. Output is not really a concern either as dual xv15's have plenty...with room gain I am hitting 132db at 30hz. I am more interested in what single digit extension would be like!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page