Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 109 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22595Likes

Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

I tried a dc power supply and got nasty hum, so its currently hooked via usb cell charger and its nice and quiet!

If hooked up to a laptop that's not plugged in, it's because the laptop has an "independent," battery supplied, power supply. Once hooked up to a generalized, independent power supply like a battery, it's a different grounding situation. Just saying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 5244
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

If hooked up to a laptop that's not plugged in, it's because the laptop has an "independent," battery supplied, power supply. Once hooked up to a generalized, independent power supply like a battery, it's a different grounding situation. Just saying.

beeman, its plugged into the wall via a usb cellphone charger.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:

beeman, its plugged into the wall via a usb cellphone charger.

IIRC, you mentioned two situations. One where the miniDSP was plugged into the USB port and one where the DSP was plugged into the wall outlet, hence why one situation has a ground loop issue and the other doesn't.

Which raises the question: does the miniDSP have flash memory that allows for holding programming information?

Commenting on that which I'm sure you're aware of, anytime, anything is connected to house wiring, if not using the same "outlet," to various degrees, a ground loop can develop. This applies, even if using the same circuit breaker but a different, same-said, down-the-line outlet.

FYI.....if two audio appliances, are on the same equipment rack, and electrically, they're connected, a ground-loop condition can appear. It really is that esoteric.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:

IIRC, you mentioned two situations. One where the miniDSP was plugged into the USB port and one where the DSP was plugged into the wall outlet, hence why one situation has a ground loop issue and the other doesn't.

Which raises the question: does the miniDSP have flash memory that allows for holding programming information?

Commenting on that which I'm sure you're aware of, anytime, anything is connected to house wiring, if not using the same "outlet," to various degrees, a ground loop can develop. This applies, even if using the same circuit breaker but a different, same-said, down-the-line outlet.

FYI.....if two audio appliances, are on the same equipment rack, and electrically, they're connected, a ground-loop condition can appear. It really is that esoteric.

Beeman, I plugged the usb source into the same outlet as the 12 dc supply....the problem was the dc supply not anything else. I simply stated that the hum went away when I plugged it into the computer. so I went and grabbed my samsung usb charger,plugged it into the wall and there was no ground hum just like when it was plugged into the computer. Im fully aware how electricity works. Yes the mini dsp has flash memory, it can be unplugged without losing its settings.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 06-01-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4656
Quote:

there was no ground hum just like when it was plugged into the computer. Im fully aware how electricity works.
Perhaps, but ground looping isn't covered in your typical course on home wiring. This explains the causes and cures:
http://www.rane.com/note110.html

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1570 Post(s)
Liked: 4495
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

My understanding from Tom was all the info was from what each manufacture has provided for people to see. Or third party measurements were used if they were available for each sub.
I don't think Tom and Jim went and bought each sub and then tested them.

That is correct. All of the general "specs"( weight, warranty etc) were taken from manufacturer/reviews. All of the output (2010-CEA) data is taken from third party reviews that have been documented on the internet(mostly at databass and audioholics). All of the output data is normalized in this chart to *2 meters, rms(not peak), drivers facing the measurement microphone*. If anyone wants to compare the output data to 2010-CEA data posted using a 1 meter/peak value....you have to add 9dB to all of the data. If A subwoofer had multiple "extension" settings(and data was available for all the options) I used the extension setting that most closely compared to the XV15. After all, that is the entire point of the chart.

The extension was probably the toughest one for me to try to figure out a fair and accurate way to express it in a chart like this. All of the frequency response curves are done outside so taking a standard +/-3dB off the measurements isn't going to be an accurate representation of what the end consumer could expect in an average room environment. If we did that the XV15 would be about 21-200hz. We can see that clearly isn't the case as there are plenty of measurements in this thread showing the XV15 offering extension down to the 14-17hz range. What I ended up doing was finding the -24dB/octave point for each model. I then magnified this to a -8db per 1/3 octave point. I used that for all subwoofers. I believe everyone would agree that once a subwoofer is rolling off at this rate (24dB/octave) you usually won't see much more real world extension out of it. I could have just increased the window to say +/- 5dB (that would have been a LOT less time consuming!) but I believe that most/all would agree that barring some unusual measurements looking for a true 24dB/octave spot is a pretty good indicator of what will happen in the average room.

I'll update the chart with all this information as time allows. As with anything like this typo/errors are possible so please don't hesitate to email me if something like that pops up.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply Tom! I am not to serious about adding or upgrading. I really like the XV15's, its just the upgraditis bug biting lol. Hey I recieved my mini dsp today and did some eq'ing, what do you think of the graph? For some reason I lost about 2hz extension, but all in all not bad for 2hours worth of work and most of it was setup time/learning curve.

+/- 2dB across the entire bandwidth is excellent for in room..smile.gif

The slight difference in extension is likely something in the mini-dsp. That is the only variable between measurements, correct?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- Ben Franklin
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Im fully aware how electricity works.

Just trying to help from afar.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ordered Triax last night. Can't wait for it to arrive. It will be interesting to see how much different it is from my current SVS that I have had for years. Spoke with Tom a couple months ago and decided to wait till this bad boy was ready to go.

Marantz AV 8801 Processor
Sunfire Signature Amp 400x7
Oppo DV971H DVD Player
PS3
PS4
Klipsch RF-7
Klispch RS-7
Klipsch RC-7
Sharp Aquos 80; 3D Quattron
Power Sound Audio Triax Subwoofer
Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdmrklcy View Post

I finally got it out of the box and all hooked up I need to redo setup etc once I get time this weekend but a quick and dirty setup with Audyssey has me impressed.

The XS15 smokes my old H100 not that it is a shock they are not in the same ball park. I would go with calling it very tight as you get all the low stuff you are supposed to but it isn't boomy or overwhelming. Only played with a few movie scenes and TV shows nothing to really stress it yet. I will play with it more today and get it setup just right.

Very happy with the choice and glad to support a company in Ohio.

That's outstanding skdmrklcy,

If any questions pop up while you are dialing everything "in" please don't hesitate to email/call me. Thanks!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:

Thanks for the reply Tom! I am not to serious about adding or upgrading. I really like the XV15's, its just the upgraditis bug biting lol. Hey I recieved my mini dsp today and did some eq'ing, what do you think of the graph? For some reason I lost about 2hz extension, but all in all not bad for 2hours worth of work and most of it was setup time/learning curve.

Excellent response. Nicely done!

Now, the most important question is: How does it sound compared to before EQ?

Old 06-01-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Good question!
Old 06-01-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:

For some reason I lost about 2hz extension, but all in all not bad for 2hours worth of work and most of it was setup time/learning curve.

As you lowered that huge 30hz peak, your relatively raising the frequencies around it. Combine that with other EQ adjustments, perhaps the aggregated effect has put more demand on the system and therefore your rolloff is earlier...

Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ray,

I know you asked a questions about the availability of the wood veneer options but I'm so far behind on this thread(and elsewhere) I can't even find it now..smile.gif

The Satin black will be considered our "stock" finish and we will attempt to keep that "in stock".

The five wood veneer options will initially have about a 10 day "lead time" We are not going to stock multiples of each of these to start. We will have partially completed cabinets ready to be finished(at the cabinet manufacturer's location) as they are ordered. Once we can determine which wood veneer options are the most popular we will try to keep those in stock for "1-2 day shipping" as well. As of today, the two Cherry finishes seem to be getting the most interest.

Anyway, during the preorder period, if someone makes the wood veneer purchase by say....June 20th(ish) their order should ship out with the first wave of Triax outgoing.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Old 06-01-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

+/- 2dB across the entire bandwidth is excellent for in room..smile.gif

The slight difference in extension is likely something in the mini-dsp. That is the only variable between measurements, correct?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Thanks! Yea I was thinking it was related to the minindsp also because it changed the delay as well. No biggie, its worth the trade off for the improvement in response. The sound quality of the subs went to a new level...its amazing how much the bass bass tightened up. First thing I noticed was how much more even the bass response is between different music genre and movie
content.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Just trying to help from afar.
Your good! I appreciate all your advice and help given during the course of the last few months!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Excellent response. Nicely done!

I thought the subs sounded great before, but now its like I changed the whole sound system! Its amazing how room modes affect sound quality!! The mid bass slam is there like never before, every type of music sounds more even and full! If it was not for this forum and folks recomending REW from day 1 of loging on this site, I would of never knew what I was missing out on! I am really pleased with the REW/MiniDsp system as it is really easy to use and understand. Probably the best investment I have made...highly recomended! smile.gif

Old 06-01-2013, 10:05 AM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcuron View Post

Ordered Triax last night. Can't wait for it to arrive. It will be interesting to see how much different it is from my current SVS that I have had for years. Spoke with Tom a couple months ago and decided to wait till this bad boy was ready to go.

Congrats! Let us know your thoughts.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

It is sitting in the foyer right right now, didn't have time to get it setup before work frown.gif

I can't believe you can go to work after lifting that. I moved 2 XV30s into the house and I needed 3-4 hours till I was ready to unbox them :P

Old 06-01-2013, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by stm69 View Post

I can't believe you can go to work after lifting that. I moved 2 XV30s into the house and I needed 3-4 hours till I was ready to unbox them :P

Hah! Being 6'4" helps as well as having my dad who is also 6'4" wink.gif

Plus, my work consists of sitting in my bedroom and doing computer stuff since I work from home smile.gif

I did get it hooked up though and listened to a few movie scenes.....still need to do some tweaking though but that will have to be after work today.

Denon X4000
Power Sound Audio (MT-110 / MTM-210C / MT-110)
Oppo BDP-103
Dual Power Sound Audio Triaxes
Sony KDL60W630B
Old 06-01-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked: 1597
Tom, that's good to know I can still order the Cordovan until the 20th of June, I may just have to switch my order from the Satin Ash stock cab. $200 more correct? Congrats Noracuron (is that right) on your Triax purchase. guys I really need to know how difficult for a non savvy computer dummy like myself to actually learn REW and take measurements with the Mini DSP and mic. By the way BH81, what did that setup run excluding laptop, and if you don't mind me asking your level of technical expertise? I mean I'm bad with programs and running them. Should I just lay out the extra cash and get a stand-alone device that just goes in between reciver and sub?
Thanks Jeffrey smile.gif
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Tom, that's good to know I can still order the Cordovan until the 20th of June, I may just have to switch my order from the Satin Ash stock cab. $200 more correct? Congrats Noracuron (is that right) on your Triax purchase. guys I really need to know how difficult for a non savvy computer dummy like myself to actually learn REW and take measurements with the Mini DSP and mic. By the way BH81, what did that setup run excluding laptop, and if you don't mind me asking your level of technical expertise? I mean I'm bad with programs and running them. Should I just lay out the extra cash and get a stand-alone device that just goes in between reciver and sub?
Thanks Jeffrey smile.gif

I would call myself a techie but not a expert by anymeans. REW is free, the Dayton umm-6 mic was 80.00, and the MiniDSP was 155.00. thats what you would have in a older used antimode but way more adjustability and flexability. Both of these programs have extensive tutorials @ hometheatreshack.com

the mini dsp is a standalone device that hooks up between the avr and sub...you simply plug a pc into it to make your adjustments. Its really not that difficult at all once everything is setup.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Ray,

I know you asked a questions about the availability of the wood veneer options but I'm so far behind on this thread(and elsewhere) I can't even find it now..smile.gif

The Satin black will be considered our "stock" finish and we will attempt to keep that "in stock".

The five wood veneer options will initially have about a 10 day "lead time" We are not going to stock multiples of each of these to start. We will have partially completed cabinets ready to be finished(at the cabinet manufacturer's location) as they are ordered. Once we can determine which wood veneer options are the most popular we will try to keep those in stock for "1-2 day shipping" as well. As of today, the two Cherry finishes seem to be getting the most interest.

Anyway, during the preorder period, if someone makes the wood veneer purchase by say....June 20th(ish) their order should ship out with the first wave of Triax outgoing.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Thanks Tom.

I was originally looking at the satin black and thought maybe my wife would want some input with a different finish. She said she thought black was fine, but after seeing the cordovan cherry I'm thinking about it for myself.

JTR (3 215 RT, 5 212HTR, 2 Growlers, 4 S2's)
PSA (4 Triax's, 3 210T's)
Behringer (4 B1200 Midbass Modules)
Old 06-01-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Thanks Tom.

I was originally looking at the satin black and thought maybe my wife would want some input with a different finish. She said she thought black was fine, but after seeing the cordovan cherry I'm thinking about it for myself.

The cordovan cherry is sweet!

Old 06-02-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The cordovan cherry is sweet!

Thanks BH, seems like a very minimal investment for some good results, I will try to visit the REW site at HTS and download the software and give it a shot. So the Dayton umm-6 usb is the way to go for mic, is a stand reco'd? Thanks:)
Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Thanks BH, seems like a very minimal investment for some good results, I will try to visit the REW site at HTS and download the software and give it a shot. So the Dayton umm-6 usb is the way to go for mic, is a stand reco'd? Thanks:)

no prob! the mic comes with a short tripod.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I have a behringer ecm-8000 mic, and now a Dayton umm-6 mic. I love the umm-6 - very easy once you understand REW's software.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys for the replies, very helpful and encouraging stuff, maybe I can do this. A friend of mine swears by UMIK mics from Cross-Spectrum, any thoughts?smile.gif
Old 06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys, I forgot to ask, are we talking just sub measurements here with the DSP and REW and Dayton mic, or is there the ability to do whole system setups, excuse the ignorance of topic
Old 06-02-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, I forgot to ask, are we talking just sub measurements here with the DSP and REW and Dayton mic, or is there the ability to do whole system setups, excuse the ignorance of topic

REW will measure the whole system. The mini dsp can be used for subs or main speakers.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Hi Guys,

There's a thread for that. wink.gif (On AVS)

I started a thread here on AVS back in January to teach people how to use REW and get the most out of your sub, along with an introductory course in room acoustics and acoustic models, and it has gotten a lot of traction over the last few months.

The buy-in cost is only about $100 which is for a USB mic as REW is free and you don't need any other hardware/software (other than a computer, of course).

There are a lot of helpful people and AVS member AustinJerry has created a very helpful getting started guide you should check out.

I cannot recommend Herb from Cross Spectrum Labs highly enough! He is great and for the same amount of money as ordering the UMM-6 from Parts Express or the UMIK-1 from Mini-DSP you will get a "TRULY" individually calibrated mic with not only the 0 degrees cal file (pointing straight ahead) but also 45 degrees and 90 degrees (pointing straight up like most people do and the proper method you also use with Audyssey for example).

He personally individually calibrates each mic and supplies a unique and individual cal file compatible with REW with each mic. His calibrations are very accurate and unlike that "batch" calibrations from PE or MiniDSP which aren't even accurate and only at 0 degrees which people don't usually use, the cal's from Herb also are accurate from 5hz to 25khz instead of 20hz to 20khz like you get direct from the manufacturer.

Also, if you are a member over at HTShack too, make sure you give Herb your username over there for an additional $5 off your order. smile.gif

I strongly recommend the UMM-6 mic as it is more accurate and MiniDSP has been plagued with calibration problems and things not lining up.

Anyway, to delve into REW and have a lot of help and support along the way, keeping it right here on AVS, visit us over in the thread at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs

See ya there,

--Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15