Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 112 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 13993 Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We're moving into our new home next week and if I could keep the cost down, that would be most desirable. I'm thinking I could scale back considering I'll never come close to needing what the sub is capable of but I follow your point. Considering I'm TRYING to be a thoughtful husband I value her input and dropping close to 3 g's is a bit much right now.

Spulk77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 13993 Old 06-04-2013, 07:31 PM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclif77 View Post

Hello,

I've never owned a serious sub before and I'm in the market. My man cave will be built in about two months and I had my mind set on a Seaton hp but I'm intrigued by the xv30. The basement will be 21 x 21 ft with a 7.5ft drop ceiling. I don't watch too many movies but would love to have access to ground shaking bass when wanted. I listen to a lot of jazz and reggae music. Should I go for one xv30 considering I can place the sub in the optimal position in relation to my seating preference or go with a different approach?

Clif

Hi Cliff

A suggestion would be to buy one XV30 with a later eye on a second one to be purchased after the Home Theater system is up and running. If you will allow me, subwoofers are a journey, not a destination. The less one learns about their subwoofer system, the less they'll get out of the subwoofers they have.

We have three smaller subwoofers in an approximately 3,300 cu ft room that opens up to a spacious kitchen and an entryway that opens into the dining room and I'm still learning how to get these subs to play and get along well with the room's acoustics.

As to an approach, my recommendations would be to learn about properly integrating the first subwoofer you buy into your room's acoustics and after doing this, add a second, third or forth sub as you deem necessary so you'll get that earth shaking bass you're wanting.

-
post #3333 of 13993 Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 PM

That sounds like one hell of a plan. smile.gif:beer: I'll also be treating the space with bass traps and acoustic panels. Thanks for the advice.

Clif
post #3334 of 13993 Old 06-04-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:

smile.gif:beer:

post #3335 of 13993 Old 06-04-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Since you listen to a lot more music why not go with a XS30?

It'll have more output about 40hz and most music has bass in the middle to upper range where the XS30 will excel over the XV30.
post #3336 of 13993 Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 PM

Ok jbrown, that's why I'm here. Thanks for knowledge and suggestion.

Spulk77
post #3337 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON82ND View Post

Getting ready to buy friday what to do pulling my hair out. I have a neighbor who is 15 feet away in their home not much of a concern but one to consider. I have a full defintive technology 8060 towers and 8080 center with 8040 rears running of a vsx1522. I was curious in a 24x17 room would i need the xs30 or could i get away with the xv15? I plan on one sub for now but might go to two in the future. Also this will be for 90% music.

What is your ceiling height? Its helps to get the cubic foot of the room. Do you have openings in your room? Finally how loud do you listen?

ShaunH
post #3338 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello,

I've never owned a serious sub before and I'm in the market. My man cave will be built in about two months and I had my mind set on a Seaton hp but I'm intrigued by the xv30. The basement will be 21 x 21 ft with a 7.5ft drop ceiling. I don't watch too many movies but would love to have access to ground shaking bass when wanted. I listen to a lot of jazz and reggae music. Should I go for one xv30 considering I can place the sub in the optimal position in relation to my seating preference or go with a different approach?

Clif

The submersive will likely have more output that the xv30. I would assume the subm would have more above 40HZ and above and they might be closer down to 20HZ. Have you considered getting one or two XS30's. It might help keep you wife happy, In that you would have a choice of veneers and if you need more sub later you add another XS30 later.

Tom should be able to give better advice. Have you contacted PSA yet?

here is their support email just in case.

support@powersoundaudio.com

ShaunH
post #3339 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

Quote:

Hello,

Clif

The submersive will likely have more output that the xv30. I would assume the subm would have more above 40HZ and above and they might be closer down to 20HZ. Have you considered getting one or two XS30's. It might help keep you wife happy, In that you would have a choice of veneers and if you need more sub later you add another XS30 later.

It was just suggested that I look into the xs30 since I listen to more music. I made a poor assumption by concluding that if a sub digs deeper(xv30), then the output at all frequency levels will be greater. My only concern is, my avr crosses my mains at 40hz and purchasing the xs30 would be redundant if I kept it at 40. I've read that regardless of how well mains produce bass, for the most part, a high quality or well integrated sub will do the same or produce a better quality sound. I've never had a high quality sub and I know I've NEVER been able to integrate it well. The more I write, the more I think I need to talk to Tom. Thanks for all the guidance and advice fellas.
post #3340 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It was just suggested that I look into the xs30 since I listen to more music. I made a poor assumption by concluding that if a sub digs deeper(xv30), then the output at all frequency levels will be greater. My only concern is, my avr crosses my mains at 40hz and purchasing the xs30 would be redundant if I kept it at 40. I've read that regardless of how well mains produce bass, for the most part, a high quality or well integrated sub will do the same or produce a better quality sound. I've never had a high quality sub and I know I've NEVER been able to integrate it well. The more I write, the more I think I need to talk to Tom. Thanks for all the guidance and advice fellas.

Hmmm that's a pretty low crossover point. As I said you might want talk to Tom at PSA. I would assume off the top of my head. A XS30 should outperform you tower speakers for bass. generally most people use a higher 80Hz crossover with a setting of small to allow the sub to handle more of the low bass.

ShaunH
post #3341 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Hmmm that's a pretty low crossover point. As I said you might want talk to Tom at PSA. I would assume off the top of my head. A XS30 should outperform you tower speakers for bass. generally most people use a higher 80Hz crossover with a setting of small to allow the sub to handle more of the low bass.

^^^ This. My AVR also sets my crossovers at 40 Hz, but I change them to 80. It sounds a lot better and it eases the burden on the amp driving the speakers, giving the whole system more headroom.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #3342 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 05:31 AM

Same here. The AVR sets the mains to large and 40Hz, where as the surrounds and center channel are set to small and 60Hz. For our room's acoustics, REW measurements have shown, setting all speakers to small and all crossovers to 80Hz, minor tweaks aside, gives the best overall room response plot.

After much effort and selective placement of the subwoofers, we run Anit-Mode, 8033S II, then Audyssey, MultEQ XT, reset the AVR menu settings as described above, measure with REW and tweak settings according to what REW shows us to be true and accurate.

Regarding subwoofers, the above reminds me of John Cougar Mellencamp and the early innocent days of music when we were happy with anything that came out of a speaker: "Hurts So Good."

I'll take "Four Subwoofers" for the win Alex. biggrin.gif

-
post #3343 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 57
From what I've read, Audyssey is usually not all that great at picking crossover points for speakers.

post #3344 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:

Two XS30's would have more output the a SubM HP and would cost you less, I know because that was one of the reason's I went with dual XS30's as the SubM HP was one of the subs I was considering buying before I got my XS30's.
post #3345 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

Two XS30's would have more output the a SubM HP and would cost you less, I know because that was one of the reason's I went with dual XS30's as the SubM HP was one of the subs I was considering buying before I got my XS30's.

I'm glad. Lets hear it for competition smile.gif

ShaunH
post #3346 of 13993 Old 06-05-2013, 11:08 AM

I'm excited, I've never had a chance to hear quality bass. Looking forward to the purchase.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
post #3347 of 13993 Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I received my XS30 yesterday! Freight company pulled in about 9:15am (9am-1pm delivery window) and the fella unloaded the beast and placed it in my garage.

Unboxed it by myself and moved it into its new corner home. Like many have said, these subs are solid and well-built!

Ran a quick MCACC on my Pioneer 1222k and began with the movie "9" just to get a taste of what this bad-boy could do. The "winged beast" chapter rocked my world. Strong, accurate, chest compressing bass!

I was home all day without the wife and kids and tried a variety of material. Nine Inch Nails Live DVD sounded crisp and amazing. "Tron" was an unstoppable audible cornicopia!

Best thing is, the bass does not overtake the rest of the soundtrack. It simply hits when called upon with unrelenting authority and crispness.

I like it. It's alot of fun. Didn't get much time last night to let the wife really feel the power, but she did comment that the overall sound quality of our Def Tech system was much much more defined.

Tonight, SHE WILL FEEL THE THUNDER! Thanks PSA!
manonfire and CRAZYKAT like this.
post #3348 of 13993 Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefwahl View Post

I received my XS30 yesterday! Freight company pulled in about 9:15am (9am-1pm delivery window) and the fella unloaded the beast and placed it in my garage.

Unboxed it by myself and moved it into its new corner home. Like many have said, these subs are solid and well-built!

Ran a quick MCACC on my Pioneer 1222k and began with the movie "9" just to get a taste of what this bad-boy could do. The "winged beast" chapter rocked my world. Strong, accurate, chest compressing bass!

I was home all day without the wife and kids and tried a variety of material. Nine Inch Nails Live DVD sounded crisp and amazing. "Tron" was an unstoppable audible cornicopia!

Best thing is, the bass does not overtake the rest of the soundtrack. It simply hits when called upon with unrelenting authority and crispness.

I like it. It's alot of fun. Didn't get much time last night to let the wife really feel the power, but she did comment that the overall sound quality of our Def Tech system was much much more defined.

Congrats, and welcome to the PSA family

post #3349 of 13993 Old 06-06-2013, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Congratulations, The XS30 is a great performer. biggrin.gif
Share some photo's if you get a chance.

My Living Room  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I live in Colorado, Where I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it.

post #3350 of 13993 Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:

Uhm....what else is PSA selling up there? eek.gifbiggrin.gif

(sorry, couldn't resist..... redface.gif )
Beefwahl likes this.

post #3351 of 13993 Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Does anyone play Battlefield 3 with these subs? If you don't YOU SHOULD! With my XV30 right behind me, taking a shot with the sniper rifle couldn't be more satisfying other than shooting the real thing. It really KICKS you in the chest like the real thing should. Oh want to go Scarface on someone? Grab a PKP and let her rip and hang on! Holy 8lbs baby JESUS! You can't help but scream while the XV30 is shaking the **** out of you.

What I can't believe is when you hop in a tank and start moving. The vibrations is surreal! It really feels like I'm driving a vehicle! It's nuts!

Sorry, had to share my giddiness.
post #3352 of 13993 Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

And that folks, should anybody ask why, is why we do it.

...biggrin.gif
post #3353 of 13993 Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:

Does anyone play Battlefield 3 with these subs? If you don't YOU SHOULD! With my XV30 right behind me, taking a shot with the sniper rifle couldn't be more satisfying other than shooting the real thing. It really KICKS you in the chest like the real thing should. Oh want to go Scarface on someone? Grab a PKP and let her rip and hang on! Holy 8lbs baby JESUS! You can't help but scream while the XV30 is shaking the **** out of you.

What I can't believe is when you hop in a tank and start moving. The vibrations is surreal! It really feels like I'm driving a vehicle! It's nuts!

while i dont own any PSA subs i have been preeching that BF3 has some thunderous bass output for some times. its quite unreal actually
the 50 cal on the jeep and the HMG on the tank are also pretty insane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3354 of 13993 Old 06-07-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

while i dont own any PSA subs i have been preeching that BF3 has some thunderous bass output for some times. its quite unreal actually
the 50 cal on the jeep and the HMG on the tank are also pretty insane

Back in the day Jim and I liked to demo an older xbox(not 360) game called "13" (i think?) in my home theater/living room. I don't think I ever bothered to measure the frequency of the bigger M60 type guns...but it was right in the "punch the air out of my lungs" range. We would put the victim in the "peak" seat and crank it. I'm sure it approached 140dB for short bursts.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #3355 of 13993 Old 06-07-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 67
Quote:

Looks like Im going to have to drag my gaming PC down to the basement and give this a try. Im a shotgun "lady of the night" I always have been in the close quarters maps. Nothing better than blasting people with the M1014 on Noshahr Canals TDM map. biggrin.gif
Im very interested in seeing how the M98B sounds too.

[MX]Slingblayde if you want to see my stats cool.gif

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #3356 of 13993 Old 06-07-2013, 06:14 AM

Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

We would put the victim in the "peak" seat and crank it.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Victim..LOL, that is hilarious. I can just picture you guys standing off to the side watching the Victims face.

Optoma HD33, Onkyo TX-NR818 in a 9.2 setup, Emotiva XPA-5 G2, UPA-700 for eventual 11.2 setup
Oppo BDP-103, , Middle Atlantic Slim 5-37-26
F - Klipsch RB-61 II, C - Klipsch RC-62 II, Side/Rear Surrounds - Klipsch RS-42's, Heights - Klipsch RS-41's
Dual - PSA XV15's, Fractal Designs Node 605 HTPC
post #3357 of 13993 Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

Back in the day Jim and I liked to demo an older xbox(not 360) game called "13" (i think?) in my home theater/living room. I don't think I ever bothered to measure the frequency of the bigger M60 type guns...but it was right in the "punch the air out of my lungs" range. We would put the victim in the "peak" seat and crank it. I'm sure it approached 140dB for short bursts.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

awesome

post #3358 of 13993 Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarretc View Post

I *think* earlier in this thread he mentioned it would be around $50 but I cannot be 100% sure but should be somewhere around there.

Correct,

For the time being the XS15 and Xv15 can be ordered with the old style base. $799 for the XS15 and $849 for the XV15. (shipping included). We will not be offering the base option with the wood veneer. (unless a customer wanted to use a satin black base).

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #3359 of 13993 Old 06-07-2013, 08:32 AM

A black base against a cherry veneer would be killer.
post #3360 of 13993 Old 06-07-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

A black base against a cherry veneer would be killer.

We tried that here and you are correct. I thought it looked surprisingly good.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page