AVS Forum banner
6M views 82K replies 2K participants last post by  Delta117 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a thread about the Tom Vodhanel and Jim Farina founded.

Power Sound Audio

This is thread is for discussion about Power Sound Audio. New products, speculation, product recommendation and support of PSA products.

Other Power Sound Audio product threads / forums

Official PSA Triax Thread

Power Sound Audio Speaker Thread

Power Sound Vendor forum (here at AVS)

Contact Power Sound Audio

Contact Power Sound Audio via email

Power Sound Audio on Facebook

Power Sound Audio on Twitter

PSA 01 Series CEA2010 Data (dosen't include S7201)

Please feel free to ask questions, and talk about all things PSA related. If you haven't already you should consider emailing PSA at the provided link, to get the best recommendation for you room.

See less See more
#22,406 ·
The thing is those nulls might go away with the main speakers in the mix. The response looks great otherwise!!

Thanks for your help Bass. I was wondering about that. I would need a 8033 to accomplish that? I see that I can do a 2.2, but I guess I need to read up on how to connect that sequence, as the mains are running off an amplifier. I have 9 speakers, but would like to integrate the mains. Did you use the AMDC to do both the mains and multiple subs?

#22,407 ·
Hey Brian,

I just posted about this in the JTR speaker thread, but I'll also post here for those following this thread and not that one:

We will be comparing the following speakers blind- level matched, XO'd to subs, and as level of a playing field that we can manage. We will likely be using 5 short audio clips and 2 short movie clips, to be finalized.

-PSA MTM 210
-DIY 1099
-JTR 2015 228HT
-Reaction Audio CX-12 with Beryllium Diaphragm
-Behringer B215XL

Note for the JTRs: They are 2015 228HTs not HTRs; I worked with Jeff and Lemonslush to get the 2015s in for our GTG today. I thought the HT would be more appropriate here in terms of pricing relative to the other speakers in the comparison. I previously lent Lemonslush my 2014 228HTs which are still at his house, so if we have time later tonight we may compare the two.. we do have a pretty full plate though.
Can you comeback and post link for the thoughts after the test please? TIA

#22,408 ·
Thanks for your help Bass. I was wondering about that. I would need a 8033 to accomplish that? I see that I can do a 2.2, but I guess I need to read up on how to connect that sequence, as the mains are running off an amplifier. I have 9 speakers, but would like to integrate the mains. Did you use the AMDC to do both the mains and multiple subs?
No Audyssey should take care of that. The AMDC goal here is to get both subs playing nice together, then audyssey should blend the mains with the subs.

You can use REW to take a combined measurement to verify the response or if it sounds good then leave it as is.

#22,409 ·
No Audyssey should take care of that. The AMDC goal here is to get both subs playing nice together, then audyssey should blend the mains with the subs.

You can use REW to take a combined measurement to verify the response or if it sounds good then leave it as is.
Got it Bass. I ran the storm scene from MMFR and was not let down. I am happy with the current sound. I will demo more tomorrow when the girls are gone, maybe throw down some Tron or FotP!

#22,411 ·
starting my calibration now
Marantz SR6010
2 PSA XSse30's
Room is 26x24.
set AVR to 80hz
Anti-Mode 8033

I had subs in almost opposite corners. The response kept getting better the closer I moved them. Now they are about 8ft apart. Controls face the back wall and grills face each other.

Running REW with no smoothing I get no bass below 28hz with AM in bypass mode... IT doesn't get above 80db until about 48Hz. Then it stays above... hmmmmm

after calibrating with AM I get a couple bigger nulls and some smoothing. 35db lift looks best but it still looks better with AM in Bypass.

Still learning

#22,413 ·
The base anti-mode is not designed for dual subs. So unless you have them placed equidistant from the LP then it is probably not doing to do a very good job. If you have them equidistant then it will eq them as one just like audyssey does.
That's odd. Il have to talk to Tom. He sold me the complete package. I don't recall him saying they had to be equidistant. But my memory could be bad

Any reason I have almost no bass below 28hz? Even after moving subs 20+ times. These things are heavy

#22,414 ·
starting my calibration now
Marantz SR6010
2 PSA XSse30's
Room is 26x24.
set AVR to 80hz
Anti-Mode 8033

I had subs in almost opposite corners. The response kept getting better the closer I moved them. Now they are about 8ft apart. Controls face the back wall and grills face each other.

Running REW with no smoothing I get no bass below 28hz with AM in bypass mode... IT doesn't get above 80db until about 48Hz. Then it stays above... hmmmmm

after calibrating with AM I get a couple bigger nulls and some smoothing. 35db lift looks best but it still looks better with AM in Bypass.

Still learning
Start by integrating one sub with the system. Once you have that nailed it is usually easy to get the second dialed in. Also, an easy way to sanity check the measurement rig is to place the mic a few inches from one cone on one of the subs. You should see a FR pretty smooth down to the 12-15hz range.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

#22,415 ·
That's odd. Il have to talk to Tom. He sold me the complete package. I don't recall him saying they had to be equidistant. But my memory could be bad

Any reason I have almost no bass below 28hz? Even after moving subs 20+ times. These things are heavy
They don't have to be equidistant. That is a nice to have for sure but with home audio there will always be compromises in place. Would spending much more on the dual core be of benefit? Possibly. But I bet once you have the 8033 dialed in the differences would be subtle.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

#22,416 ·

The base anti-mode does not set individual delays for each sub. So if they are not equidistant then most likely you will have a phase issue at some frequencies. The nice thing with the ICE amp is you can adjust the time delay on one sub to get both subs in alignment. REW would be really helpful for verifying the changes.

#22,417 ·
They don't have to be equidistant. That is a nice to have for sure but with home audio there will always be compromises in place. Would spending much more on the dual core be of benefit? Possibly. But I bet once you have the 8033 dialed in the differences would be subtle.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Oh, I thought you told me they needed to be equidistant when we discussed which Anti-mode to go with?

PS I sent you a email and never got a reply. :)

#22,418 ·
Just out of curiousity..has anyone here had or owned a def tech trinity sub that could compare a psa sub to????

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
The DT(and GE) subs seem to prioritize tiny enclosures over performance for the most part. I've seen the measurements for a bunch of DT stuff(4000,6000,8000 and a couple others) and one or two GE subs published and they all performed poorly. You could probably take the 8000 data and 2x it to get an idea of what the trinity would do?

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

#22,419 ·
Oh, I thought you told me they needed to be equidistant when we discussed which Anti-mode to go with?

PS I sent you a email and never got a reply. :)
Equidistant is ideal. But you can compensate for that with the time delay/phase setting on one sub too. It is just a matter of how much time is available for tweaking. Also, the dual core is significantly more powerful and flexible. I just try to steer folks to the least expensive option that I feel will provide the best value.

My bad on that email. Been one of those weeks...I'll circle back now.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio