Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1128 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26027Likes

post #33811 of 33832 Old 05-20-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent A View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
This graph is subs only, crossed over at 80hz, Audyssey xt32 on, S3600I delay 0 and S3000I delay 9 o clock. I get a better reading across all 3 seats by leaving the S3600I delay at 0 and adjust the delay on the S3000I. I did all adjustments pre-Audyssey xt32.
Do you have XT32 with SubEQ? If so are you seeing improvements in manually setting the delay before running Audyssey? I've always read that Audyssey XT32 with SubEQ is very good at getting the delays set and that that there is no benefit to manually adjusting them first. Is this correct or is it still worth playing with the delays first then running Audyssey?

In my 3 seat arrangement, I have a couple of dips in the left seat, a good sized dip at 40hz at the center seat (MLP) and it's just about flat in the right seat. I'm not too concerned about the left and right seats and just want to concentrate on getting my response better at MLP.
Yes, I have xt32 SubEQ. I took the advice of @basshead81 and @hopinater that first get the best responce before running any form of calibration software. I tried it both ways and getting the best responce before running audyssey xt32 resulted with a flatter responce. It takes time, measure, adjust the delay several times and take more measurents and if your not happy its time to try the subs in different positions and spots and start the whole process over until you're happy then run the calibration software in your receiver or Pre-amp.
ahblaza, basshead81 and Hopinater like this.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 05-20-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #33812 of 33832 Old 05-20-2017, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Uh oh guys! I'm a little nervous have you seen the top secret testing of the all new Svs pb-19?!
post #33813 of 33832 Old 05-20-2017, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Yes, I have xt32 SubEQ. I took the advice of @basshead81 and @hopinator that first get the best responce before running any form of calibration software. I tried it both ways and getting the best responce before running audyssey xt32 resulted with a flatter responce. It takes time, measure, adjust the delay several times and take more measurents and if your not happy its time to try the subs in different positions and spots and start the whole process over until you're happy then run the calabration software in your receiver or Pre-amp.
Thanks for the follow up Mike. I have always worked on getting the best response possible before running Audyssey and I have been limiting that to positioning only. I'll start playing with the then delay as well.

Thanks again.
Mike Butny likes this.

post #33814 of 33832 Old 05-20-2017, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent A View Post
Thanks for the follow up Mike. I have always worked on getting the best response possible before running Audyssey and I have been limiting that to positioning only. I'll start playing with the then delay as well.

Thanks again.
It's best to keep your measurements (graphs) saved to a folder so you can compare before and after measurements. Like Mike said he tried getting the best response using manual time alignment (delays) prior to running REQ and then without any delay adjustments. This way you'll know if you're going in the right direction.
post #33815 of 33832 Old 05-20-2017, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Just tried to watch the opening of Live Die Repeat at -20, mostly to identify and fix vibrations in the room. Got some port noise and had to back it down. What a bass note! What sub can play that at reference? I am 9db hot, but have DEQ off.

Denon 1911
LCR: RTI6, CSI A5
Front height: 8" Monoprice in-ceiling
Rear: 6.5" Monoprice in-ceiling
Sub: PSA 15V
post #33816 of 33832 Old 05-20-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Quote:
Yes, I have xt32 SubEQ. I took the advice of @basshead81 and @hopinater that first get the best responce before running any form of calibration software. I tried it both ways and getting the best responce before running audyssey xt32 resulted with a flatter responce. It takes time, measure, adjust the delay several times and take more measurents and if your not happy its time to try the subs in different positions and spots and start the whole process over until you're happy then run the calibration software in your receiver or Pre-amp.
I only think manual setting of delays is necessary when you have more than 2 subs. How many do you have?

What method are you using to set the delays?
post #33817 of 33832 Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I only think manual setting of delays is necessary when you have more than 2 subs. How many do you have?

What method are you using to set the delays?

I have 2 subs, S3600I and S3000I. I have both subs up front just inside of the left and right speaker stands. I measured the subs in multiple spots up front and with the driver's in multiple positions and I found with the drivers facing front and back and placing the subs as far away from each other up front that they measured the best. I then measured each sub separately in the left, middle, and right positions of the couch and then I measured both subs together with their delays at 0. The problem with having both delays at zero was I had nulls/dips from 60-80hz from the middle and right seat positions, the graph looked nasty. I then left the S3000I'S delay at 0 and adjusted the S3600I'S delay several times and measured each movement of the delay. I then set the S3600I'S delay at zero and adjusted the S3000I'S delay and measured and bingo. I was getting a better result with leaving the S3600I'S delay at zero and adjusting the S3000I'S delay. I would slightly move the delay and measure all 3 seats, then move the delay slightly higher and re-measure and those nulls/dips started disappearing. I now have the exact measurement throughout the entire couch except for the dip between 77-80hz. That dip extends maybe 2dbs more from the middle and 4dbs more from the right side compared to the left side ( my seat) of the couch.
chucky7 and Hopinater like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 05-20-2017 at 10:57 PM.
post #33818 of 33832 Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have 2 subs, S3600I and S3000I. I have both subs up front just inside of the left and right speaker stands. I measured the subs in multiple spots up front and with the driver's in multiple positions and I found with the drivers facing front and back and placing the subs as far away from each other up front that they measured the best. I then measured each sub separately in the left, middle, and right positions of the couch and then I measured both subs together with their delays at 0. The problem with having both delays at zero was I had nulls/dips from 60-80hz from the middle and right seat positions, the graph looked nasty. I then left the S3000I'S delay at 0 and adjusted the S3600I'S delay several times and measured each movement of the delay. I then set the S3600I'S delay at zero and adjusted the S3000I'S delay and measured and bingo. I was getting a better result with leaving the S3600I'S delay at zero and adjusting the S3000I'S delay. I would slightly move the delay and measure all 3 seats, then move the delay slightly higher and re-measure and those nulls/dips started disappearing. I now have the exact measurement throughout the entire couch except for the dip between 77-80hz. That dip extends maybe 2dbs more from the middle and 4dbs more from the right side compared to the left side ( my seat) of the couch.
Personally, with just 2 subs I would let Audyssey set the delays. If you are going to set them manually you need to use REW to align them. REW V5.19 beta 5 was just posted today and fixes the issue in measuring timing uncovered by @basshead81 .

Why did you go with a S3000i instead of a second S3600i? Are you not able to place the S3000i closer to the MLP?

I wish I had known you were in the market for a S3000i. I am selling my Cordovan Cherry.
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.
post #33819 of 33832 Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's not easy finding the RA Gamma 21 dimensions but here they are:

http://www.audioholics.com/recommend...mparison-guide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Meh, someone might as well enjoy them. I just can't get over the reality of the situation though. I mean, you pay the premium for (arguably)the best amplification + DSP flexibility in the industry. You have Brian a phone call away if needed for help. And you ship out a generic mess with absolutely zero system optimization. Ugh.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Doesn't sound bad at all for the first DSP edit. A few hours outside can work wonders these days..

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Any update on the Gamma-21s?
post #33820 of 33832 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 6095
Quote:
Personally, with just 2 subs I would let Audyssey set the delays. If you are going to set them manually you need to use REW to align them. REW V5.19 beta 5 was just posted today and fixes the issue in measuring timing uncovered by @basshead81 .

Why did you go with a S3000i instead of a second S3600i? Are you not able to place the S3000i closer to the MLP?

I wish I had known you were in the market for a S3000i. I am selling my Cordovan Cherry.
Nice! I will download and try it out tomorrow.
post #33821 of 33832 Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

I did use REW. Thats how I dialed in the delays. My graph looks better when I first dial the subs in and then run Audyssey. I picked up the S3000I because its within 1db from 25hz and below to my S3600I. It was a better match compared to my XS30SE and for the B-stock price it was a no brainer. My plan is to go the AT screen route and have 4 -6 subs up front stacked in the left and right sides/ corners. I plan on buying B-stock S3000I or S3600I subs. My next purchase is an AT screen followed my more subs.
post #33822 of 33832 Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did use REW. Thats how I dialed in the delays. My graph looks better when I first dial the subs in and then run Audyssey. I picked up the S3000I because its within 1db from 25hz and below to my S3600I. It was a better match compared to my XS30SE and for the B-stock price it was a no brainer. My plan is to go the AT screen route and have 4 -6 subs up front stacked in the left and right sides/ corners. I plan on buying B-stock S3000I or S3600I subs. My next purchase is an AT screen followed my more subs.
That makes sense. Any way you can make room for a sub/stack off of the front wall? If not, I would get them as close to the sidewalls/corners as possible.
ahblaza likes this.
post #33823 of 33832 Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
@Mike H ow does it sound with manual delay and then Audyssey compared to just running Audy XT32 SUB EQ, regardless of the graphs? Have you noticed anything you preferred or are you just comparing FR graphs? Thanks.
post #33824 of 33832 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@Mike H ow does it sound with manual delay and then Audyssey compared to just running Audy XT32 SUB EQ, regardless of the graphs? Have you noticed anything you preferred or are you just comparing FR graphs? Thanks.
Jeffrey, you have 3 subs right? You definitely should manually time align. It is so easy with the latest REW beta, v.5.19 beta 5 (acoustic timing reference).
post #33825 of 33832 Old Today, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
I have tried adjusting the delays before and after running Audyssey and really have not noticed a sound difference. I would assume the correct way would be to adjust the delays before you run Audyssey and then let Audyssey dial everything in based on the delays that we set.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #33826 of 33832 Old Today, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Jeffrey, you have 3 subs right? You definitely should manually time align. It is so easy with the latest REW beta, v.5.19 beta 5 (acoustic timing reference).
Now that it's fixed, I've got to try this acoustic timing feature for my next calibration after adding the S3000i...especially mixing this many subs. I have mostly just used REW to measure for the best response, the subwoofer distance tweak, and occasionally the MINIDSP when necessary to add more latency.

Now to figure out which order to do them all in...

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1800 x2, S3000i, B1200D x2, PC12+
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2
Processing: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP
post #33827 of 33832 Old Today, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Now to figure out which order to do them all in...
Start with the furthest from the MLP (leave it at 0ms) and match the others to it.
post #33828 of 33832 Old Today, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Start with the furthest from the MLP (leave it at 0ms) and match the others to it.
Thanks! I'll have a couple more days off work than I thought, so I'll try my best to get them all dialed in for a few listening sessions before I leave for two weeks. The S3000I is till on schedule to arrive tomorrow afternoon, but I likely can't set up until Wednesday.

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1800 x2, S3000i, B1200D x2, PC12+
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2
Processing: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP
post #33829 of 33832 Old Today, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 5115
Quote:
Any update on the Gamma-21s?
Hi Marc,

The plan is to get them outside again soon and get the (hopefully)final round of measurements. I think we have the DSP about as good as it is going to get. We might get out today, depends on the weather.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“Price is the last refuge for the business without the imagination or ability to offer more" - Unknown.
post #33830 of 33832 Old Today, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Uh oh guys! I'm a little nervous have you seen the top secret testing of the all new Svs pb-19?!
https://youtu.be/PtVdB52eqd0
I wish someone else wouldve asked lol , but im not exactly sure what im watching??? Something for real or this some satire im missing about SVS???

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
post #33831 of 33832 Old Today, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
I wish someone else wouldve asked lol , but im not exactly sure what im watching??? Something for real or this some satire im missing about SVS???
Just me being silly. (At least attempting to be)
Pulloutchamp likes this.
post #33832 of 33832 Old Today, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Just me being silly. (At least attempting to be)
OK , I kinda thought thats what it was...So is this like a mini-sub or something?

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15
Gear in this thread