Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22744Likes

Old 06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

.... Also, like always, I would advise any potential customer to consider every aspect of the purchase----customer service(pre and post sales), warranty, .....

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

Amen!

The only thing that would make PSA's service better is if Tom would personally deliver the subs to my house and set them up for me! biggrin.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post

So the xs30's are not going to extend lower in that room? my xv15's extend to 15hz easily...the xs30 is larger than the xv15, which is why I am asking this since you said space is tight. Also that 16-46 svs sub is huge and ugly imo...a xv30f would look much better but thats jmo.

I thought Tom just said that both subs are basically the same down low until you get below the port tune of the XV15. At which point the XV15 really starts to roll off? At least that's how his post reads to me.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my XS30 is an absolute beast. Is there anything I can do or buy to prevent things from rattling? Also is ok to leave the grilles off, I think it looks cooler like that.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 5269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I thought Tom just said that both subs are basically the same down low until you get below the port tune of the XV15. At which point the XV15 really starts to roll off? At least that's how his post reads to me.

I know, but in a large room such as saturn94's, will they continue to extend deeper than the xv15's or will they fall off just as fast? I thought sealed subs rely heavily on room gain to get that deeper extension? Im curious how deep the xs30's will dig with useable output before they drop off in a 5500^3 room?

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 06-20-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 View Post

I think I'm missing something...confused.gif My understanding is once we get much below the XV15's tuning frequency, the XS30 will have the advantage since the XV15 will drop off much quicker than the XS30. Tom indicated to me that in my room I can expect lower extension from the XS30. If I'm misunderstanding please correct me.

BTW, that's great to know your XV15's extend that low. Do I remember correctly you have two of them? As you can see in the graph I posted earlier, my 16-46 stays strong at the left end of the graph (15hz). The 16-46's native tune is about 16hz. I'd really like to keep that kind of extension if possible, albiet with more headroom than my 16-46. Do you think I'll get that from a pair of XV15's?

What, you don't like the big black carpet covered water heater look? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif LOL.......I wasn't too sure about it when I ordered it, but I kinda like the way it looks. tongue.gif

EDIT:

Perhaps this is the cause of the XS30 extension confusion:
If so, my appologies. I see now it's not clear, but what I should have said is that I don't think I would be giving up much in useful extension with the XV15's and that I'm not sure I would benefit from the additional headroom the XS30's would offer in the mid/upper bass.

Yes I have dual xv15's and the net useable output down to the 12hz range, but they start to drop around 15hz.

Ok I see so Tom said even in that large room the xs30's would still extend deeper...Thanks that answers my question. I didnt go with xs30's because of budget at the time and also I didnt really want all the extra midbass because my polk rti-a7's have heavy bass from 40hz on up. In room they extend down to 28hz and sound better than most budget subs with as much or more output.I have hit peaks of 114db @30hz with them alone at the LP.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I know, but in a large room such as saturn94's, will they continue to extend deeper than the xv15's or will they fall off just as fast? I thought sealed subs rely heavily on room gain to get that deeper extension? Im curious how deep the xs30's will dig with useable output before they drop off in a 5500^3 room?

Yeah Tom would have to comment on that, my rooms half the size of that so I can't really relate. Things can get pretty silly in my room with dual XS30's though.

I think I'm going to go with REW soon basshead and really start to get them dialed in. I've been reading up on the miniDSP too.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Yeah Tom would have to comment on that, my rooms half the size of that so I can't really relate. Things can get pretty silly in my room with dual XS30's though.

I think I'm going to go with REW soon basshead and really start to get them dialed in. I've been reading up on the miniDSP too.

Oh I bet they are beasts in your room! I wouldnt be suprised if your getting solid single digit extension! The mini dsp is awsome, Jim is actually going to help me with it some. I eq'd my subs flat but I killed the dynamic headroom with the approach I took. They key is to not boost low frequencies that much as it significantly reduces head room. so monday Jim is going to look at my un ed'd graph and provide me some data to plug in! Customer service FTW!!!

Old 06-20-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
^^^That is impressive customer service! The more I read about PSA the more I like. Right now I am in the fence between DIY and XS30. I've done all the modeling on various 15 and 18" drivers, with and without ULF enhancement via Linkwitz Transform which my miniDSP can do. Its nice to have options.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKKKNIGHT 39 View Post

my XS30 is an absolute beast. Is there anything I can do or buy to prevent things from rattling? Also is ok to leave the grilles off, I think it looks cooler like that.
What things are rattling? There area by tricks but you really should try to secure anything that's rattling as it is usually a distraction (at least for me it is). You can definitely keep your grills off, but if you have kids or someone that would get in there and curiously "feel" around, I would not. If your kidless (and animal-less) then sure why not!!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:55 PM

My apologies if this is not a proper question for this thread but I am selling my XS30 and would like to know what a fair price would be. It is just outside of the 30 day audition period and in flawless condition.

Going ported. smile.gif
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magjuan View Post

My apologies if this is not a proper question for this thread but I am selling my XS30 and would like to know what a fair price would be. It is just outside of the 30 day audition period and in flawless condition.

Going ported. smile.gif

That's a good question... We haven't seen many up for sale. Maybe posters in this thread would be willing to give some prices they would be willing to pay? As I don't think I've heard of any used XS30 being sold expect for B stock from PSA,

ShaunH
Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Its worth 1k allday, but why dont you trade it in for a xv30 if your going ported? Im sure Tom will work with ya.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKKKNIGHT 39 View Post

I take it the wife is now letting you keep the xs30? You can try one of those auralex grammas, I believe they help with vibrations and rattling.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1505 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
Quote:

Jeff I think it would be safe to say that 12o'clock position would be a good starting point.

I've mentioned this before, but my wife puts up with my AV hobby and also an expensive dirt bike hobby and all it cost me was a boob job!....lol
Well a few expensive pieces of jewellery also helped too.
But I guess I could say that was for me too so I'm not really complaining biggrin.gif

Thanks JB, my wifes hobbies which are many, she makes hand poured soy wax candles, custom built birdhouses, interior decorating and extensive gardening and I support all of them, financially and helping with the product developement aspects as well. She sees my passion for audio, music and HT and I also rigged her work shop with a decent sound system. We then agreed on turning my entire basement (not really a basement, but finished living and dining room into a Home theater room about 3000cf complete with computer workspace and I have done whatever was needed to make it a dedicated HT. I ran several dedicated 20 amp circuits to accommodate all audio equipment. The XS30s rock this place like all get out and she never complains as she has own play spaces. smile.gif She asks: does this make you happy, I say yes and she gives the OK nod. wink.gif As far as the Triax amp is concerned it will have a gain control which is different than the Power X amps, the action of the knob will not be smooth but rather have detents in the rotation for a more tactile feel of control. I just purchased a top of the line Galaxy SPL, I like to manually adjust my levels, no offense to anyone but I'm not an Audyssey fan, RC is fine for many but my room has no imperfections to correct so no need for Room Correction biggrin.gif My plans are to use the amp's gain control to get as close to the target decibel level I want and with the detents I may be a one click to high or low and that is where I will use the AVR's level adjustment to get to the target, I will start with the AVR's output level at midpoint -12dB to + 12dB which is of course O dB and go from there. As tom said the amp if I recall has what 0-36 dB increments, and to start at about 16dB, I will confirm that when I get my Triax.wink.gif I think I made a good choice with the Expresso finish, I believe the finish lacquer will be Satin, that will be nice. wink.gif I will post some pics of the sub and my setup, I have to learn how to list my gear in my sig like a lot of you guys have, I think I have only been around this forum for about 5 or 6 six years, still learning. I really like this place and don't why I haven't participated more, you guys are the best and seem to know what you're talking about. Best of all Tom and Jim participate here as well. My previous sub purchases were a nightmare with CS and getting an email answered after 20 attempts, I won't mention the company.mad.gif I've sold every piece of audio equipment I ever listed on the AVS site, that's high praise for a web forum. OK Gents, I'm rambling so enjoy your evening and thanks to all whom responded to my queries.
Best Regards, Jeffrey smile.gif
Old 06-20-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Going ported. smile.gif

+1 with going with the XV30F, talk with Tom or Jim, knowing both of these guys they will go well beyond the realm of possibility and work with you and get what you want at a very reasonable rate, trust me you can't go wrong doing that. wink.gif
Old 06-20-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneeyeblind View Post

That's a good question... We haven't seen many up for sale. Maybe posters in this thread would be willing to give some prices they would be willing to pay? As I don't think I've heard of any used XS30 being sold expect for B stock from PSA,

Good point. I am certain once some publications publish some tests/reviews Tom won't be able to keep up with demand at the current selling price.

Quote:

Its worth 1k allday, but why dont you trade it in for a xv30 if your going ported? Im sure Tom will work with ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

+1 with going with the XV30F, talk with Tom or Jim, knowing both of these guys they will go well beyond the realm of possibility and work with you and get what you want at a very reasonable rate, trust me you can't go wrong doing that. wink.gif

Tom has already been amazing working with me when I was trying to get the XS30 to work in my room. I would touch base with them but I am outside of the 30 day period so I am looking for a fair number which to sell it at, perhaps on audiogon.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Thanks JB, my wifes hobbies which are many, she makes hand poured soy wax candles, custom built birdhouses, interior decorating and extensive gardening and I support all of them, financially and helping with the product developement aspects as well. She sees my passion for audio, music and HT and I also rigged her work shop with a decent sound system. We then agreed on turning my entire basement (not really a basement, but finished living and dining room into a Home theater room about 3000cf complete with computer workspace and I have done whatever was needed to make it a dedicated HT. I ran several dedicated 20 amp circuits to accommodate all audio equipment. The XS30s rock this place like all get out and she never complains as she has own play spaces. smile.gif She asks: does this make you happy, I say yes and she gives the OK nod. wink.gif As far as the Triax amp is concerned it will have a gain control which is different than the Power X amps, the action of the knob will not be smooth but rather have detents in the rotation for a more tactile feel of control. I just purchased a top of the line Galaxy SPL, I like to manually adjust my levels, no offense to anyone but I'm not an Audyssey fan, RC is fine for many but my room has no imperfections to correct so no need for Room Correction biggrin.gif My plans are to use the amp's gain control to get as close to the target decibel level I want and with the detents I may be a one click to high or low and that is where I will use the AVR's level adjustment to get to the target, I will start with the AVR's output level at midpoint -12dB to + 12dB which is of course O dB and go from there. As tom said the amp if I recall has what 0-36 dB increments, and to start at about 16dB, I will confirm that when I get my Triax.wink.gif I think I made a good choice with the Expresso finish, I believe the finish lacquer will be Satin, that will be nice. wink.gif I will post some pics of the sub and my setup, I have to learn how to list my gear in my sig like a lot of you guys have, I think I have only been around this forum for about 5 or 6 six years, still learning. I really like this place and don't why I haven't participated more, you guys are the best and seem to know what you're talking about. Best of all Tom and Jim participate here as well. My previous sub purchases were a nightmare with CS and getting an email answered after 20 attempts, I won't mention the company.mad.gif I've sold every piece of audio equipment I ever listed on the AVS site, that's high praise for a web forum. OK Gents, I'm rambling so enjoy your evening and thanks to all whom responded to my queries.
Best Regards, Jeffrey smile.gif

I'm really jealous, I wanted to upgrade to dual Triax subs while the pre-order sale pricing was in effect but sadly now because of some other expenses I'll have to wait maybe 6 months. I'm really loving my new JTR LCR speakers, man those things make me go eek.gif !
Old 06-20-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Good point. I am certain once some publications publish some tests/reviews Tom won't be able to keep up with demand at the current selling price.

Tom has already been amazing working with me when I was trying to get the XS30 to work in my room. I would touch base with them but I am outside of the 30 day period so I am looking for a fair number which to sell it at, perhaps on audiogon.

I would say $1000 but the part that will be tough for anyone considering buying them is the shipping costs. If you could sell them locally $1000 would be fair, but someone that would need it shipped would get killed on the shipping costs and its only $1150 shipped from PSA.
Magjuan likes this.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Liked: 11
Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance-AR View Post

D vSwraqqwaaaa l j

That's the sound I would make if I had to give up my XS30!
oneeyeblind likes this.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS4, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200,
Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
Old 06-20-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:

The 30 day trial period does not mean you can not trade, it means you can not return....I believe all you will have to pay is return shipping.
oneeyeblind and Magjuan like this.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The 30 day trial period does not mean you can not trade, it means you can not return....I believe all you will have to pay is return shipping.

Good point. I would talk to Tom and / or Jim first. He might have to eat a little more shipping but even then it will be easy cheaper than trying to sell and then buying again.
Magjuan likes this.

ShaunH
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:

Good point. I would talk to Tom and / or Jim first. He might have to eat a little more shipping but even then it will be easy cheaper than trying to sell and then buying again.

Exactly...

Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Quote:

D vSwraqqwaaaa l j

That's the sound I would make if I had to give up my XS30!
Hahaha

Wife is babysitting for a friend tonight. I let him play with my phone and now I keep seeing threads that "I" replied to when I haven't even read them yet.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hahaha

Wife is babysitting for a friend tonight. I let him play with my phone and now I keep seeing threads that "I" replied to when I haven't even read them yet.

LOL no worries. I think we all had a good laugh. Feel free to stick around the more the merrier smile.gif

ShaunH
Old 06-21-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah JB, I'm sure you're loving the JTRs, I know I would, been checking them out myself lately, love that output eek.gif
To the OP with the XS30, Tom may be willing to work with you on the shipping rate if you decide to move up to the XV30F, I'm quite sure he would seriously, give it a shot, you have nothing to lose and a whole lot to gain.wink.gif
Cheers Jeff
Magjuan likes this.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

Hahaha

Hope you don't mind my little joke. It popped into my head and I couldn't help myself! I have a little one at home, so I can definitely relate.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS4, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200,
Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
Old 06-21-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Here is just a little glimpse of what a super cool wife let's her husband do.... smile.gif

Dual XV 30fs on the way. Thanks Tom. !!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Here is just a little glimpse of what a super cool wife let's her husband do.... smile.gif

Dual XV 30fs on the way. Thanks Tom. !!

Did you board up your window? And is that MDF you used?
Old 06-21-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I have dual xv15's and the net useable output down to the 12hz range, but they start to drop around 15hz.

Ok I see so Tom said even in that large room the xs30's would still extend deeper...Thanks that answers my question. I didnt go with xs30's because of budget at the time and also I didnt really want all the extra midbass because my polk rti-a7's have heavy bass from 40hz on up. In room they extend down to 28hz and sound better than most budget subs with as much or more output.I have hit peaks of 114db @30hz with them alone at the LP.

This debate seems to somewhat be the issue with my room(s). It is very large new construction, all hardwood and glass and the sealed sub just isn't working well with the room. It is definitely a midbass monster but the room is not allowing it to shine down low despite all my best efforts.

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks guys. I will give it a shot but one of my issues going with ported was WAF and size. I was already pushing it with the XS30! I was going to go with the FV15HP before going with the XS30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , v1500 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15