Originally Posted by mdameron
I just have regular MulEQ with one sub out. I guess my assumption was that by time aligning them manually and then running audyssey, audyssey should really only hear one subwoofer signal and be able to EQ that. Instead it seems to only hear the near field delayed sub and is throwing a fit.
When I was running Multi EQ this is what worked best for me. I level matched my subs. I use to gain match but lately I'v been level matching.
First use just one sub with REW to find the best possible locations in the room for your subs, this means moving the sub around and running REW over again for each new location. Some of the good locations you discover may not actually be useable because of aesthetics or what not but at least you're learning about your room. This may also tell you that it's time to move some furniture around to accommodate better sub locations (if you are willing). I put sticky notes on the floor noting the best locations.
After that, run REW using one sub (located in what you found to be the best sub location) with only the center channel. Get the timing between the center channel and the primary sub dialed in using REW and the delay of the sub.
After that's as good as you can get, turn on the 2nd sub (located in the next best location) and start dialing in the timing with the 2nd sub in the mix (leave the center channel in the mix as well). This is where you are playing with the delay of the 2nd sub to get rid of as many cancellations and peaks as you can between the subs. Once you get the best response you can it's time to run Audyssey.
If Audyssey returns a trim of -12, turn down the gains on both subs the same amount, keeping them matched. If the Trim is below -7 I would turn up my gains and rerun. I like to shoot for somewhere between -9 to -11.5 (personal preference). I use a SPL meter to keep my subs matched whenever I turn my gains up or down.
Now run REW and see where you stand. I know a lot of guys will question dialing in the timing of everything before running Audyssey, since that is part of what it is supposed to be doing. But I found this method worked better. When I just let Audyssey do it all I got worse (ranging from much worse to slightly worse) responses then when I did all this.
Also, by manually getting the timing set before hand you can see if it's possible to get an acceptable in room response with the subs in their current location. I have literally dialed in my subs better manually than what Audysey has returned. There have been times where I dialed them in, ran Audyssey and got a worse response after Audyssey. I wouldn't have known how good a response was possible if I hadn't of achieved a better one manually. When that has happened, I found a small tweak in the distance setting in Audyssey on one of the subs can really help with small adjustments.
Bottom line, auto room calibration is just a tool in our arsenal but we still need to be the ones running the show. When it comes to subs (especially multiple subs), you need to keep an eye on things.