Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1210 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31471Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #36271 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 01:55 PM
Member
 
Drew1204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So I am back…

Edit: I didn't realize I have 60 days of testing with the PSA which is awesome, not 30 so I still have 30 days left to test... but here are my updated thoughts.

Currently testing Kong with the Cap 1400 and v1801.

I re-ran Audyssey and I think that something was wrong the first time as now my opinion has flip flopped.

As Mark Seaton suggested I tried turning down LF adjust, and this fixed the distracting rattling of the doors and windows I was getting from the cap 1400.

After re-running Audyssey I would say that the cap 1400 plays just as loud if not louder as the 1801, something must have been wrong.

I am noticing now, is that back to back the is that they both obviously have different sound signatures.

Sometimes the 1801 is a bit more in your face during certain frequencies and is very punchy. Kind of more like a car stereo subwoofers pressuring a car, vs movie theatre subs sinking into the movie.

The Cap 1400 is smoother, tighter just as loud, without being too in your face at certain times like the 1801 could be. I listen to the same movie, back to back and the 1801 will give me a headache perhaps from the loudness or the sound signature, and badass punchiness. However, it isn’t fun to get a headache from watching a movie at -10.

The Cap 1400 I have found with adjusting the LF knob totally changes the sound. Obviously the higher you turn it up it noticeably plays louder down low. When Kong first appears in the first 3 minutes of Kong, I played it back to back with the LF adjust off, halfway and full on.

At Cut, it sounds tight and no rattles and shakes on my windows or wall. At halfway I smiled as it was totally badass and was completely different. I did notice that I can hear the woofer on the Cap 1400 the higher I introduce LF. Is this normal? It sounds like a piece of paper / the woofer shaking and I can hear it. I never notice this with the 1801. Turning down LF to cut makes it so you cannot hear the paper rattling sound. Does it need to break in more, or is it possibly defective?

The sound signatures are different, and originally I thought that while watching the movies the sub should be more in your face. Obviously this is all adjustable by how loud you turn the gain and settings. However, playing the Cap at the same Audyssey adjustments it is just as loud, but less in your face which seems to bother me now.

It seems like the 1400 plays more effortlessly, if I had to describe it. It melts into the content. My room is ginormous at 11,000 cubic feet but it as if the whole room is filled, and it is very hard to detect where the bass is coming from. Two would be even more difficult and badass I am sure. The 1801 I am slightly more able to tell where the bass is coming from.

I had the cut at halfway and I forget the scene, but I could literally see the screen shaking and vibrating on my 75 inch TV. This is something I never noticed with the 1801. I can also sometimes feel the 1400 on my shirt as well. I don’t think my shirt is moving but I can feel it, if that makes sense. I have yet to really feel chest slam, but am still testing and have mostly been listening at the level Audyssey set, or testing +3 hot. I am about 13 feet away.

To Mark Seaton, thank you for mentioning the LF adjust feature and to turn it down. I tested with changing the distances of the 1400 and exiting out of the menu like you suggested, but did not really notice much difference. What specifically should I look for when changing the distance? It is set to 18 feet.

I wish I had an SPL meter and stuff to do more testing for you guys. I am just getting into the hobby but figured I would give you my thoughts. I have to figure out what to do soon, but am now leaning towards keeping the Cap 1400 as something was clearly wrong the first time I ran audyssey. Now its a totally different experience. I want to note I am not trying to make anyone wrong, just giving my thoughts and experiences. They are both killer subs. Still testing a bit so I may post some more thoughts as I go through some more ultimate bass movies. I think maybe Pacific Rim will be next. Any other suggestions?

Edit: also I know it isn't necessarily "fair" to compare a $1,400 sub vs a $2,000 sub and the 3601 would probably be more of a fair comparison. But the 1400 and 1801 were the two subs I was cross-shopping so maybe it will help someone. They are both spectacular and either way I don't think I'd be going wrong.

Last edited by Drew1204; 08-25-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Drew1204 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #36272 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
Power everything off , unplug everything and start over with everything powered off...and most important , make sure you have it plugged into the Left (double check me on that , had a good IPA at lunch ) channel for the PSA sub for LFE.....Seems really basic , but I went thru what you are experiencing a few times...No clue why...
Maybe even a factory reset of the AVR. Could be something with the filters applied from the Velodyne. You never know.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #36273 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,210
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 801
if I was testing a sub or breaking it in I wouldnt use any eq...same for speakers...all that dsp/eq is off til I know what I get in the raw
ahblaza likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
 
post #36274 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Pulloutchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1204 View Post
So I am back…

Today is my last day of testing.

Currently testing Kong with the Cap 1400 and v1801.

I re-ran Audyssey and I think that something was wrong the first time as now my opinion has flip flopped.

As Mark Seaton suggested I tried turning down LF adjust, and this fixed the distracting rattling of the doors and windows I was getting from the cap 1400.

After re-running Audyssey I would say that the cap 1400 plays just as loud if not louder as the 1801, something must have been wrong.

I am noticing now, is that back to back the is that they both obviously have different sound signatures.

Sometimes the 1801 is a bit more in your face during certain frequencies and is very punchy. Kind of more like a car stereo subwoofers pressuring a car, vs movie theatre subs sinking into the movie.

The Cap 1400 is smoother, tighter just as loud, without being too in your face at certain times like the 1801 could be. I listen to the same movie, back to back and the 1801 will give me a headache perhaps from the loudness or the sound signature, and badass punchiness. However, it isn’t fun to get a headache from watching a movie at -10.

The Cap 1400 I have found with adjusting the LF knob totally changes the sound. Obviously the higher you turn it up it noticeably plays louder down low. When Kong first appears in the first 3 minutes of Kong, I played it back to back with the LF adjust off, halfway and full on.

At Cut, it sounds tight and no rattles and shakes on my windows or wall. At halfway I smiled as it was totally badass and was completely different. I did notice that I can hear the woofer on the Cap 1400 the higher I introduce LF. Is this normal? It sounds like a piece of paper / the woofer shaking and I can hear it. I never notice this with the 1801. Turning down LF to cut makes it so you cannot hear the paper rattling sound. Does it need to break in more, or is it possibly defective?

The sound signatures are different, and originally I thought that while watching the movies the sub should be more in your face. Obviously this is all adjustable by how loud you turn the gain and settings. However, playing the Cap at the same Audyssey adjustments it is just as loud, but less in your face which seems to bother me now.

It seems like the 1400 plays more effortlessly, if I had to describe it. It melts into the content. My room is ginormous at 11,000 cubic feet but it as if the whole room is filled, and it is very hard to detect where the bass is coming from. Two would be even more difficult and badass I am sure. The 1801 I am more able to tell where the bass is coming from.

I had the cut at halfway and I forget the scene, but I could literally see the screen shaking and vibrating on my 75 inch TV. This is something I never noticed with the 1801. I can also sometimes feel the 1400 on my shirt as well. I don’t think my shirt is moving but I can feel it, if that makes sense. I have yet to really feel chest slam, but am still testing and have mostly been listening at the level Audyssey set, or testing +3 hot. I am about 13 feet away.

To Mark Seaton, thank you for mentioning the LF adjust feature and to turn it down. I tested with changing the distances of the 1400 and exiting out of the menu like you suggested, but did not really notice much difference. What specifically should I look for when changing the distance? It is set to 18 feet.

I wish I had an SPL meter and stuff to do more testing for you guys. I am just getting into the hobby but figured I would give you my thoughts. I have to figure out what to do soon, but am now leaning towards keeping the Cap 1400 as something was clearly wrong the first time I ran audyssey. Now its a totally different experience. I want to note I am not trying to make anyone wrong, just giving my thoughts and experiences. They are both killer subs. Still testing a bit so I may post some more thoughts as I go through some more ultimate bass movies. I think maybe Pacific Rim will be next. Any other suggestions?
CAP1400 is a beast , one movie my friends like to watch over and over is Lone Survivor...Although not really a ULF monster , the gunshots on there are meant to imitate a suppressed rifle so they have a pretty nice thud throughout most of the movie.....

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Pulloutchamp is offline  
post #36275 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
drwinlied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Like I mentioned earlier. Video of low freqs usually sucks. The shaking of my home isn't visible.
When I sold my old Def Tech BP7001 towers, the buyer wanted video that the internal sw's were working before buying. hard to capture, for sure. I ended up putting some dried crumbs in a ziplock baggie, taking the socks down to expose the drivers, held the bag of crumbs to the drivers and recorded the crumbs going wild for proof. If it works, it works. You, however, might need a bigger bag of crumbs...or entire cars lol
ahblaza likes this.

Stuff, I have some of it
drwinlied is offline  
post #36276 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Timothy1180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: California
Posts: 1,245
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Was just reading a few posts about your 12" vs 15" Psa sub.

Many of the cheaper subs actually have more output from 50-80hz. That's were the majority of bass comes from.

Example is one jbl es250p hits 120db in a average size room at 60hz. The issue with that jbl is it can't even hit 95db at 25hz. They do this to be able to use cheaper amps and drivers. Being able to hit over 110db below 20hz take a lot of power.

So it is definitely possible your 12" sub seems louder then Psa. Many people don't care about all the deep room rattling bass. I know I'm one of them. I'd rather have high spl from 20-60hz. Below 20 isn't a big deal to me a just brings in to many issues.
drwinlied, torii and Gob Bluth like this.
Timothy1180 is online now  
post #36277 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1204 View Post
So I am back…



Edit: I didn't realize I have 60 days of testing with the PSA which is awesome, not 30 so I still have 30 days left to test... but here are my updated thoughts.



Currently testing Kong with the Cap 1400 and v1801.



I re-ran Audyssey and I think that something was wrong the first time as now my opinion has flip flopped.



As Mark Seaton suggested I tried turning down LF adjust, and this fixed the distracting rattling of the doors and windows I was getting from the cap 1400.



After re-running Audyssey I would say that the cap 1400 plays just as loud if not louder as the 1801, something must have been wrong.



I am noticing now, is that back to back the is that they both obviously have different sound signatures.



Sometimes the 1801 is a bit more in your face during certain frequencies and is very punchy. Kind of more like a car stereo subwoofers pressuring a car, vs movie theatre subs sinking into the movie.



The Cap 1400 is smoother, tighter just as loud, without being too in your face at certain times like the 1801 could be. I listen to the same movie, back to back and the 1801 will give me a headache perhaps from the loudness or the sound signature, and badass punchiness. However, it isn’t fun to get a headache from watching a movie at -10.



The Cap 1400 I have found with adjusting the LF knob totally changes the sound. Obviously the higher you turn it up it noticeably plays louder down low. When Kong first appears in the first 3 minutes of Kong, I played it back to back with the LF adjust off, halfway and full on.



At Cut, it sounds tight and no rattles and shakes on my windows or wall. At halfway I smiled as it was totally badass and was completely different. I did notice that I can hear the woofer on the Cap 1400 the higher I introduce LF. Is this normal? It sounds like a piece of paper / the woofer shaking and I can hear it. I never notice this with the 1801. Turning down LF to cut makes it so you cannot hear the paper rattling sound. Does it need to break in more, or is it possibly defective?



The sound signatures are different, and originally I thought that while watching the movies the sub should be more in your face. Obviously this is all adjustable by how loud you turn the gain and settings. However, playing the Cap at the same Audyssey adjustments it is just as loud, but less in your face which seems to bother me now.



It seems like the 1400 plays more effortlessly, if I had to describe it. It melts into the content. My room is ginormous at 11,000 cubic feet but it as if the whole room is filled, and it is very hard to detect where the bass is coming from. Two would be even more difficult and badass I am sure. The 1801 I am slightly more able to tell where the bass is coming from.



I had the cut at halfway and I forget the scene, but I could literally see the screen shaking and vibrating on my 75 inch TV. This is something I never noticed with the 1801. I can also sometimes feel the 1400 on my shirt as well. I don’t think my shirt is moving but I can feel it, if that makes sense. I have yet to really feel chest slam, but am still testing and have mostly been listening at the level Audyssey set, or testing +3 hot. I am about 13 feet away.



To Mark Seaton, thank you for mentioning the LF adjust feature and to turn it down. I tested with changing the distances of the 1400 and exiting out of the menu like you suggested, but did not really notice much difference. What specifically should I look for when changing the distance? It is set to 18 feet.



I wish I had an SPL meter and stuff to do more testing for you guys. I am just getting into the hobby but figured I would give you my thoughts. I have to figure out what to do soon, but am now leaning towards keeping the Cap 1400 as something was clearly wrong the first time I ran audyssey. Now its a totally different experience. I want to note I am not trying to make anyone wrong, just giving my thoughts and experiences. They are both killer subs. Still testing a bit so I may post some more thoughts as I go through some more ultimate bass movies. I think maybe Pacific Rim will be next. Any other suggestions?



Edit: also I know it isn't necessarily "fair" to compare a $1,400 sub vs a $2,000 sub and the 3601 would probably be more of a fair comparison. But the 1400 and 1801 were the two subs I was cross-shopping so maybe it will help someone. They are both spectacular and either way I don't think I'd be going wrong.


Replied to you on the JTR thread as well. Go with what sounds good to you. In the end you need to be the one that needs to be happy. For me it was the sound signature and size for my room. Plus the finish and CS and cost as well. However the sound and size were the main factors. If budget is not an issue then go with the 1400 If you find it more pleasing to your ears.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike Butny, ahblaza and Hopinater like this.
imureh is online now  
post #36278 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Holy cow. Sitting here listening to Toni Braxton - Spanish Guitar. Hard to breath on the bass notes. So smooth. -7 dB MV.

My XV15SE subs struggled with this song. The S7201 isn't breaking a sweat.
Marc Alexander and Mike Butny like this.
climber07 is online now  
post #36279 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,210
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 801
i like good old boz scaggs


Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #36280 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,429
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 1944
Oh yeah!
climber07 is online now  
post #36281 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 9,729
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
if I was testing a sub or breaking it in I wouldnt use any eq...same for speakers...all that dsp/eq is off til I know what I get in the raw
I agree!
Marc Alexander is online now  
post #36282 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Gob Bluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Blairsville, GA
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Was just reading a few posts about your 12" vs 15" Psa sub.

Many of the cheaper subs actually have more output from 50-80hz. That's were the majority of bass comes from.

Example is one jbl es250p hits 120db in a average size room at 60hz. The issue with that jbl is it can't even hit 95db at 25hz. They do this to be able to use cheaper amps and drivers. Being able to hit over 110db below 20hz take a lot of power.

So it is definitely possible your 12" sub seems louder then Psa. Many people don't care about all the deep room rattling bass. I know I'm one of them. I'd rather have high spl from 20-60hz. Below 20 isn't a big deal to me a just brings in to many issues.
Yeah I had to hook my velodyne back up just to get any decent mid bass. It wouldn't be that bad to relegate the V1500 to ultra low frequency but it rattles and pops violently trying to produce anything under 30hz or so.

I'll try taking everything apart / resetting everything over the weekend. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'm in the market for a pair of 12's or something with some decent mid bass response. If this is what 20hz and below is supposed to sounds like, I can definitely live without it.

Samsung UN65KS8000
Denon AVR-X3300W | Infinity SM-125 x 4 | Klipsch RP-250C | Velodyne CT-120 | PSA V1500
Gob Bluth is online now  
post #36283 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Pulloutchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 481
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
Yeah I had to hook my velodyne back up just to get any decent mid bass. It wouldn't be that bad to relegate the V1500 to ultra low frequency but it rattles and pops violently trying to produce anything under 30hz or so.

I'll try taking everything apart / resetting everything over the weekend. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'm in the market for a pair of 12's or something with some decent mid bass response. If this is what 20hz and below is supposed to sounds like, I can definitely live without it.
Definitely not what unde 20hz is supposed to sound like , something is amiss.....Alot of the guys on here will get you figured out , time for me to go home for the week!

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Pulloutchamp is offline  
post #36284 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
Yeah I had to hook my velodyne back up just to get any decent mid bass. It wouldn't be that bad to relegate the V1500 to ultra low frequency but it rattles and pops violently trying to produce anything under 30hz or so.

I'll try taking everything apart / resetting everything over the weekend. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'm in the market for a pair of 12's or something with some decent mid bass response. If this is what 20hz and below is supposed to sounds like, I can definitely live without it.
Rattling and popping?? Yeah, def something amiss.
subacabra is online now  
post #36285 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

I am watching the pod emerging scene in war of the worlds for the first time on my dual 1801s in my 2100 cuft media room with MV at -11, gain at 1pm and room size at 1:30 and the slam and TR are unbelievable. It's like I have transducers! The bass hits hard and precise. I don't know with the size, how these subs generate so much power and energy. Can't imagine dual V3601 in my room I have not even cranked these puppies up and I fear for my home. Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imureh is online now  
post #36286 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 3,112
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
Yeah I had to hook my velodyne back up just to get any decent mid bass. It wouldn't be that bad to relegate the V1500 to ultra low frequency but it rattles and pops violently trying to produce anything under 30hz or so.

I'll try taking everything apart / resetting everything over the weekend. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'm in the market for a pair of 12's or something with some decent mid bass response. If this is what 20hz and below is supposed to sounds like, I can definitely live without it.
Are you using the same settings for both velo and the 1500 and the same cables? Popping and rattling are not an indication of 20 Hz bass. When using the Audy mic at the beginning of the calibration process when it asks you to set the bass to 75 dB where is the gain knob set at, if you're above 10-12:00 on the dial something is wrong.

Try running your system without Audyssey, set the gain on the 1500 to about 11:00 and don't touch the trim levels, in other words just do a manual setup and leave all levels at the default setting on the 3300. Before you listen to anything or play a source with your system powered on turn the gain up on the 1500 and listen for any sounds while it's quiet. If something's amiss with the amp you'll hear it. I highly doubt this is the problem, so this will rule that out.

Now try listening to something, a demo clip or anything with decent bass and report your findings. Do this with the Velo after as well and notice any differences, this really doesn't sound right, seriously. It would help if you put both subs NF as 11000^3 is huge, take the room out of the equation and put both subs close. We'll figure this out......
ahblaza is online now  
post #36287 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,210
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 801
yea..popping/rattling blown sub sounds to me
Mike Butny likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #36288 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
I am watching the pod emerging scene in war of the worlds for the first time on my dual 1801s in my 2100 cuft media room with MV at -11, gain at 1pm and room size at 1:30 and the slam and TR are unbelievable. It's like I have transducers! The bass hits hard and precise. I don't know with the size, how these subs generate so much power and energy. Can't imagine dual V3601 in my room I have not even cranked these puppies up and I fear for my home. Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regarding your room size at 1:30, what differences have you noticed say if it were at large instead?
Just curious because I have all four of mine on large. I may have to experiment and turn them down some.
subacabra is online now  
post #36289 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Regarding your room size at 1:30, what differences have you noticed say if it were at large instead?
Just curious because I have all four of mine on large. I may have to experiment and turn them down some.


Things sound tighter as I go from large to small. This seem to be a good mix. On large it was even more TR but perhaps a little too much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imureh is online now  
post #36290 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Things sound tighter as I go from large to small. This seem to be a good mix. On large it was even more TR but perhaps a little too much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, thanks! I'll mess around with them on Sunday. Wondering if I should do all four the same or try a mixture.
subacabra is online now  
post #36291 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
drwinlied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy1180 View Post
Was just reading a few posts about your 12" vs 15" Psa sub.

Many of the cheaper subs actually have more output from 50-80hz. That's were the majority of bass comes from.

Example is one jbl es250p hits 120db in a average size room at 60hz. The issue with that jbl is it can't even hit 95db at 25hz. They do this to be able to use cheaper amps and drivers. Being able to hit over 110db below 20hz take a lot of power.

So it is definitely possible your 12" sub seems louder then Psa. Many people don't care about all the deep room rattling bass. I know I'm one of them. I'd rather have high spl from 20-60hz. Below 20 isn't a big deal to me a just brings in to many issues.
HA! that seems eons ago in my HT life. I do still love those ol' Daytons. I sold both of them to a buddy and he has both NF in a TINY apt. A few weeks ago we listened to the entire Fear Factory, "Obsolete" album at "bar close volume". A good time, to be sure. Those things are great for what they are (esp the price), but spilled-glass-of-water vs Lake Michigan in terms of depth/sound quality comparison.

Stuff, I have some of it

Last edited by drwinlied; 08-25-2017 at 05:58 PM.
drwinlied is offline  
post #36292 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Cool, thanks! I'll mess around with them on Sunday. Wondering if I should do all four the same or try a mixture.


Try all at the same and if that does not sound good to you tinker with one at a time. No wrong way of doing this.

I assume you ran calibration with room size at 12?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by imureh; 08-25-2017 at 04:56 PM.
imureh is online now  
post #36293 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bscool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1204 View Post
So I am back…

Edit: I didn't realize I have 60 days of testing with the PSA which is awesome, not 30 so I still have 30 days left to test... but here are my updated thoughts.

Currently testing Kong with the Cap 1400 and v1801.

I re-ran Audyssey and I think that something was wrong the first time as now my opinion has flip flopped.

As Mark Seaton suggested I tried turning down LF adjust, and this fixed the distracting rattling of the doors and windows I was getting from the cap 1400.

After re-running Audyssey and placing my RCA cable on cable lifters I would say that the cap 1400 plays just as loud if not louder as the 1801, something must have been wrong.

I am noticing now, is that back to back the is that they both obviously have different sound signatures.

Sometimes the 1801 is a bit more in your face during certain frequencies and is very punchy. Kind of more like a car stereo subwoofers pressuring a car, vs movie theatre subs sinking into the movie.

The Cap 1400 is smoother, tighter just as loud, without being too in your face at certain times like the 1801 could be. I listen to the same movie, back to back and the 1801 will give me a headache perhaps from the loudness or the sound signature, and badass punchiness. However, it isn’t fun to get a headache from watching a movie at -10.

The Cap 1400 I have found with adjusting the LF knob totally changes the sound. Obviously the higher you turn it up it noticeably plays louder down low. When Kong first appears in the first 3 minutes of Kong, I played it back to back with the LF adjust off, halfway and full on.

At Cut, it sounds tight and no rattles and shakes on my windows or wall. At halfway I smiled as it was totally badass and was completely different. I did notice that I can hear the woofer on the Cap 1400 the higher I introduce LF. Is this normal? It sounds like a piece of paper / the woofer shaking and I can hear it. I never notice this with the 1801. Turning down LF to cut makes it so you cannot hear the paper rattling sound. Does it need to break in more, or is it possibly defective?

The sound signatures are different, and originally I thought that while watching the movies the sub should be more in your face. Obviously this is all adjustable by how loud you turn the gain and settings. However, playing the Cap at the same Audyssey adjustments it is just as loud, but less in your face which seems to bother me now.

It seems like the 1400 plays more effortlessly, if I had to describe it. It melts into the content. My room is ginormous at 11,000 cubic feet but it as if the whole room is filled, and it is very hard to detect where the bass is coming from. Two would be even more difficult and badass I am sure. The 1801 I am slightly more able to tell where the bass is coming from.

I had the cut at halfway and I forget the scene, but I could literally see the screen shaking and vibrating on my 75 inch TV. This is something I never noticed with the 1801. I can also sometimes feel the 1400 on my shirt as well. I don’t think my shirt is moving but I can feel it, if that makes sense. I have yet to really feel chest slam, but am still testing and have mostly been listening at the level Audyssey set, or testing +3 hot. I am about 13 feet away.

To Mark Seaton, thank you for mentioning the LF adjust feature and to turn it down. I tested with changing the distances of the 1400 and exiting out of the menu like you suggested, but did not really notice much difference. What specifically should I look for when changing the distance? It is set to 18 feet.

I wish I had an SPL meter and stuff to do more testing for you guys. I am just getting into the hobby but figured I would give you my thoughts. I have to figure out what to do soon, but am now leaning towards keeping the Cap 1400 as something was clearly wrong the first time I ran audyssey. Now its a totally different experience. I want to note I am not trying to make anyone wrong, just giving my thoughts and experiences. They are both killer subs. Still testing a bit so I may post some more thoughts as I go through some more ultimate bass movies. I think maybe Pacific Rim will be next. Any other suggestions?

Edit: also I know it isn't necessarily "fair" to compare a $1,400 sub vs a $2,000 sub and the 3601 would probably be more of a fair comparison. But the 1400 and 1801 were the two subs I was cross-shopping so maybe it will help someone. They are both spectacular and either way I don't think I'd be going wrong.
I told you guys!!!!!! I bet he read read it here >>>>>> Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread
tbass2k and drwinlied like this.

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator

Last edited by bscool; 08-25-2017 at 07:06 PM.
bscool is online now  
post #36294 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Try all at the same and if that does not sound good to you tinker with one at a time. No wrong way of doing this.

I assume you ran calibration with room size at 12?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ran it with all subs set at large, all the way up. Should I re run it at the halfway position?
subacabra is online now  
post #36295 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bscool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,108
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
Yeah I had to hook my velodyne back up just to get any decent mid bass. It wouldn't be that bad to relegate the V1500 to ultra low frequency but it rattles and pops violently trying to produce anything under 30hz or so.

I'll try taking everything apart / resetting everything over the weekend. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'm in the market for a pair of 12's or something with some decent mid bass response. If this is what 20hz and below is supposed to sounds like, I can definitely live without it.
It sounds like something is wrong or maybe damaged in shipping? Call Tom he will walk through everything to check and you will know if something is wrong with the sub before spending, even more, time trying things.

If they Velodyne isn't making the same bad noises I wouldn't think it is the AVR settings.

The PSA should stomp the 12" Velodyne if working properly.
basshead81 likes this.

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
bscool is online now  
post #36296 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
I ran it with all subs set at large, all the way up. Should I re run it at the halfway position?


The recommendation from Tom was to set room size to 12 and gain to level match at 75db as part of the calibration. Once you get a trim around -10 to -11.5, raise it to anywhere between -3.5 to -7db and then dial up gain in sub if you need more. Same with room size, if you need more raise it from there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imureh is online now  
post #36297 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,410
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 804 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
I told you guys!!!!!!


You bugger! Made me go and read the original post! I thought I had missed reading it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bscool likes this.
imureh is online now  
post #36298 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3,210
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 801
so what does the gain knob do "per se"?

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #36299 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 783
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
The recommendation from Tom was to set room size to 12 and gain to level match at 75db as part of the calibration. Once you get a trim around -10 to -11.5, raise it to anywhere between -3.5 to -7db and then dial up gain in sub if you need more. Same with room size, if you need more raise it from there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know the gain/level matching part. Lucky for me with gain a touch below 9 o' clock on all subs I'm getting a -10.5 on both subwoofer trims in my avr, which I bump up to -4.5

I'm just wondering since I ran audyssey with the room size control at large on all subs if I need to go back and re run audyssey with them at noon position.
Or, if I can just go in and try turning room size down a touch.
I can see where running audyssey with room size control at noon would possibly give you more flexibility.
Anyways, I'm cluttering the thread with all this room size silliness so I'll experiment when I can. Thanks again!
subacabra is online now  
post #36300 of 37111 Old 08-25-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 5,096
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked: 2679
OK psychotic PSA subwoofer freaks, here is my contribution to the PSA subwoofer thread. If you don't have it(you probably don't), download "Down" by Fifth Harmony. Play it at reference level if your system is capable. This should make a most excellent music demo track. On my setup, the bass is loud, had a very crisp punch, while also being nice and deep. Not 17Hz Electronica deep, just nice deep music bass while have a nice strong punch at the same time.

If anyone tries it, let me know what you think. This will probably be the first song I demo for any guests.
kyzer soze likes this.
bear123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off