Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1226 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31365Likes

post #36751 of 36992 Old 09-11-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
Took a break from cleaning up the house to listen to some music for a bit with the 1801's , the S36's arent here yet , been sitting in LA since saturday...Anyhow , I noticed that I was getting deeper bass in the other side of the house than when the 1801s were about 15' closer and thought it was a bit odd.. Taking a listen , I powered off the 1801 that was shooting directly at the fireplace on the left and just let the corner loaded one play and there was not that much of a difference..So I picked up the one by the fireplace and threw it on top of the corner loaded one and hooked it back up , and again not much difference , but back on the other side of house there was just an overbearing amount of bass and pressure that the GF even complained about her ears hurting , never heard that from her...Actually she wasnt feeling well after that saying it messed up her ears.. I stood over there and it was not good , I mean it is a bit interesting to get great TR on the toilet , but I need it on the couch..So the stack of 1801's does not work or maybe I need to adjust the RSC down a little bit..I now have the option of using one as an end table on the left side of the couch where the speaker is to fire back at the corner loaded one , ill have to see how that works..I may try that location with the S36 first and put the other in the corner..
Due to the extremely long wavelengths, low bass freqs are going to develop better at a longer distance from the MLP unless you have a sealed room and ideal room geometry and dimensions. The wavelengths for low bass are 56 ft. (20 Hz) and 112 ft. (10 Hz). There's also a lot of interactions with 1/4 and 3/4 wavelengths and pressures. If they are allowed to propagate their full wavelength, they will develop very well, especially with room modes acting on those full waves. I wish I had the time and energy to draw out a detailed explanation, but it is very similar to radio antennas and the way they transmit. Your room can be equated to an antenna. The length of the room and antenna are the same parameter (in extremely basic terms). You are going to get the highest power output from a full wave antenna (as long as the wave) just as you are with a room as long as the bass wavelength.

I know there are many other variables in play here and I don't want to insult or challenge any Electrical Engineers with this analogy as I know there are many here in the forums.
ss nimrod and Pulloutchamp like this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...

Last edited by climber07; 09-11-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36752 of 36992 Old 09-11-2017, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Quote:
Took a break from cleaning up the house to listen to some music for a bit with the 1801's , the S36's arent here yet , been sitting in LA since saturday...Anyhow , I noticed that I was getting deeper bass in the other side of the house than when the 1801s were about 15' closer and thought it was a bit odd.. Taking a listen , I powered off the 1801 that was shooting directly at the fireplace on the left and just let the corner loaded one play and there was not that much of a difference..So I picked up the one by the fireplace and threw it on top of the corner loaded one and hooked it back up , and again not much difference , but back on the other side of house there was just an overbearing amount of bass and pressure that the GF even complained about her ears hurting , never heard that from her...Actually she wasnt feeling well after that saying it messed up her ears.. I stood over there and it was not good , I mean it is a bit interesting to get great TR on the toilet , but I need it on the couch..So the stack of 1801's does not work or maybe I need to adjust the RSC down a little bit..I now have the option of using one as an end table on the left side of the couch where the speaker is to fire back at the corner loaded one , ill have to see how that works..I may try that location with the S36 first and put the other in the corner..
Please correct me if I am wrong.

It think it has to do with the wavelength of those low bass signals. Remember at the GTG at Marc's place, the attendees sitting in the kitchen were giggling (well, aside from the extra Cilantro in the salad... )? You and your GF were sitting closer to the subs. The bass was crazy in the kitchen area. I also noticed that in my HT. Yes, there is more TR at the MLP, but at the back of the room further away from the sub, I felt the room is more pressurized.
Pulloutchamp likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM703 / LSiM706c / RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400
post #36753 of 36992 Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Due to the extremely long wavelengths, low bass freqs are going to develop better at a longer distance from the MLP unless you have a sealed room and ideal room geometry and dimensions. The wavelengths for low bass are 56 ft. (20 Hz) and 112 ft. (10 Hz). There's also a lot of interactions with 1/4 and 3/4 wavelengths and pressures. If they are allowed to propagate their full wavelength, they will develop very well, especially with room modes acting on those full waves. I wish I had the time and energy to draw out a detailed explanation, but it is very similar to radio antennas and the way they transmit. Your room can be equated to an antenna. The length of the room and antenna are the same parameter (in extremely basic terms). You are going to get the highest power output from a full wave antenna (as long as the wave) just as you are with a room as long as the bass wavelength.

I know there are many other variables in play here and I don't want to insult or challenge any Electrical Engineers with this analogy as I know there are many here in the forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong.

It think it has to do with the wavelength of those low bass signals. Remember at the GTG at Marc's place, the attendees sitting in the kitchen were giggling (well, aside from the extra Cilantro in the salad... )? You and your GF were sitting closer to the subs. The bass was crazy in the kitchen area. I also noticed that in my HT. Yes, there is more TR at the MLP, but at the back of the room further away from the sub, I felt the room is more pressurized.
hahaha , that Cilantro was quite the hit! I imagine what both of you describe is what is happening , it was almost headache inducing. That and the fact that we still have quite a bit of open area on the other side , so it provides almost a bit of a hollow sound...Guess I still got some tweaking to do..I imagine bass waves are bass waves , but does ported vs sealed have any effect on them?
chucky7 and climber07 like this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1

post #36754 of 36992 Old 09-12-2017, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 370
You guys are so helpful with the tips and tricks for setting things up.

A couple of weeks ago our puppy (110 pound/meathead/Cane Corso) pulled out a bunch of wires out of the receiver/speakers chasing her ball around.

I'm beyond stupid busy at work (50% surge this year), so time is a very limited asset for me.

Scanning this thread I had the system back up and running well quickly, thanks guys!

P.S. New rule "No ball in the house"
oneeyeblind, ahblaza and Hopinater like this.

PSA MTM 210T's, MTM 210C, MT 110SR, V-1800
65" LG 4K, Denon AVR-X4300H, Audio Techica AT-LP120 / AT 440MLB
post #36755 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 AM

Got the S36's yesterday and started to fool around with them..They are almost the same exact size as the V1801 , from the front they could be confused for except for the port...I squeezed them in perfectly between the wall and the front speaker , I dont really know if it matters with a sealed or even a ported which direction they face. I remember seeing some with a V36 port facing the wall? Anyhow , I toyed around with some clips and music and it sounded good but I still seemed to be getting alot of bass in the other side of the house. So I turned it 90 and brought it closer to the TV , thinking that corner loading may be the culprit of all the wild bass in the house , and in doing so it brought a clearer sound and a bit more in your face and less bass throughout the rest of the house. So just for funsies , I grabbed a V18 and stacked it on top used the other sub cable and power cord and began alternating between the 2...Music , movie clips off youtube , Blurays...Listen to one , rewind power off and on the other and watch again... The EOT on the S36 had my TV flexing like I hadnt seen before! The TR in my seat was pretty much the same from the 2 but slightly different.. The S36 seems to wobble the room , definitely pressurizes it more..The V18 kind of buzzes , shorter quicker bursts of TR... I would say like a speed boat VS a cruise ship in rough seas.. The S36 kind of just glides thru it , I really liked it...There were times I could tell the difference between the V18 and the S36 , but they are really really close...I went thru the songs like 20hz violation and Bass I love you and the S36 just shined and didnt even wince..Powered up the V18 and went thru the songs again , I really thought the V18 would come up a bit short here but to my suprise it held its own.. The S36 definitely played cleaner and a bit deeper and added room pressure , but the TR from the 2 was about the same , I would give the nod to the S36..So after going back and forth for a bit , I opened up the other S36 and had it flank the other side of the TV ( I really think having the subs inside the towers keeps the sound in my room better as opposed to all over the rest of the house) and let the 2 S36's play together...Went thru the normal scenes , WWZ grenade and EOT just filled the house and room with pressure and TR..I am really digging them...I am considering throwing the other V18 on top of the other S36 and going back and forth between the duals....I just wonder if not having the V18 @ ground level takes away some of the TR I may get? The GF made me watch the movie "Snatched" with Amy Schumer (MEH!) so I didnt get much bass action with the S36's last night...Should be a fun next few days...Both the S36 and V18's gain was at 12 o'clock , RSC Large , PH 0 , and thats bout all I could mess with at the moment...I left everything in the AVR the same for the time being , and still havent ran the calibration since setting everything back up so there are still some tweaks that can be done...Either way , right out of the box they sound pretty awesome...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170913-063202.jpg (1.27 MB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170913-063223.jpg (1.11 MB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20170913-063243.jpg (1.15 MB, 88 views)
chucky7, sk373 and Hopinater like this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #36756 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 793 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Finally got around to saving some measurements since I got the V1801s a couple of weeks ago. I tried some distance tweaks with the subs but what XT32 set it at seems to be best. Let me know what you guys think.

Both subs at 80hz crossover

Both subs at crossover at 80 and 100hz

Right and Left sub only

Right and left sub + ctr at 100hz

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Both subs only.jpg (59.2 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg Both subs with crossover at 80hz and 100hz.jpg (64.9 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Right sub only and left sub only.jpg (65.8 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg R+L + ctr at 100hz.jpg (66.5 KB, 310 views)
chucky7 likes this.

Last edited by imureh; 09-13-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #36757 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got the S36's yesterday and started to fool around with them..They are almost the same exact size as the V1801 , from the front they could be confused for except for the port...I squeezed them in perfectly between the wall and the front speaker , I dont really know if it matters with a sealed or even a ported which direction they face. I remember seeing some with a V36 port facing the wall? Anyhow , I toyed around with some clips and music and it sounded good but I still seemed to be getting alot of bass in the other side of the house. So I turned it 90 and brought it closer to the TV , thinking that corner loading may be the culprit of all the wild bass in the house , and in doing so it brought a clearer sound and a bit more in your face and less bass throughout the rest of the house. So just for funsies , I grabbed a V18 and stacked it on top used the other sub cable and power cord and began alternating between the 2...Music , movie clips off youtube , Blurays...Listen to one , rewind power off and on the other and watch again... The EOT on the S36 had my TV flexing like I hadnt seen before! The TR in my seat was pretty much the same from the 2 but slightly different.. The S36 seems to wobble the room , definitely pressurizes it more..The V18 kind of buzzes , shorter quicker bursts of TR... I would say like a speed boat VS a cruise ship in rough seas.. The S36 kind of just glides thru it , I really liked it...There were times I could tell the difference between the V18 and the S36 , but they are really really close...I went thru the songs like 20hz violation and Bass I love you and the S36 just shined and didnt even wince..Powered up the V18 and went thru the songs again , I really thought the V18 would come up a bit short here but to my suprise it held its own.. The S36 definitely played cleaner and a bit deeper and added room pressure , but the TR from the 2 was about the same , I would give the nod to the S36..So after going back and forth for a bit , I opened up the other S36 and had it flank the other side of the TV ( I really think having the subs inside the towers keeps the sound in my room better as opposed to all over the rest of the house) and let the 2 S36's play together...Went thru the normal scenes , WWZ grenade and EOT just filled the house and room with pressure and TR..I am really digging them...I am considering throwing the other V18 on top of the other S36 and going back and forth between the duals....I just wonder if not having the V18 @ ground level takes away some of the TR I may get? The GF made me watch the movie "Snatched" with Amy Schumer (MEH!) so I didnt get much bass action with the S36's last night...Should be a fun next few days...Both the S36 and V18's gain was at 12 o'clock , RSC Large , PH 0 , and thats bout all I could mess with at the moment...I left everything in the AVR the same for the time being , and still havent ran the calibration since setting everything back up so there are still some tweaks that can be done...Either way , right out of the box they sound pretty awesome...
When I did my sub comparisons, I put them furniture sliders and just moved one out after the other but had them in the exact same location and position to know the true difference. I would suggest you put them both on the ground and swap them out as you go between each other. Its a pain but ensures you are comparing them equally. I also ran Audyssey each time I switched them out, just did the first three points.
Pulloutchamp likes this.
post #36758 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:
I assume you have audyssey turned off while comparing them, correct? Do you have a mic and Rew set up? I found in my room having the subs as wide a possible, with the drivers facing front and back and just inside my left and right speakers were the best spot. I wanted to keep the subs up front so I limited my placement to the front but I tried the subs in various spots up front and with the drivers facing every position possible and the front to back driver array was by far the best. I think once you have the subs in place and run audyssey you will be more than happy.
Pulloutchamp likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #36759 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
When I did my sub comparisons, I put them furniture sliders and just moved one out after the other but had them in the exact same location and position to know the true difference. I would suggest you put them both on the ground and swap them out as you go between each other. Its a pain but ensures you are comparing them equally. I also ran Audyssey each time I switched them out, just did the first three points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
I assume you have audyssey turned off while comparing them, correct? Do you have a mic and Rew set up? I found in my room having the subs as wide a possible, with the drivers facing front and back and just inside my left and right speakers were the best spot. I wanted to keep the subs up front so I limited my placement to the front but I tried the subs in various spots up front and with the drivers facing every position possible and the front to back driver array was by far the best. I think once you have the subs in place and run audyssey you will be more than happy.
Onkyo doesnt have Audyssey , just a basic calibration method....I adjust it to what sounds good to me , there is too much back and forth for me from what I read with Audyssey...I have too much other stuff to study than constantly go back and forth , did I have this set , this null that null , DEQ on/off , boost subs after Calibration , did you have RSC set to this when you ran then re-ran yadda yadda yadda...I prefer some things simple , if im only getting 50% of what my speakers can do , so be it they are pretty damn loud anyway and sound great....So with the Audyssey and REW and MIC questions outta the way lol , I will try putting the V18's on the floor to get an apples to apples as best I can..I also think the front to back array inside of my mains is the best position...I have the option to use one as an end table on the left side of the couch....Sort of a last resort...Bringing them inside the mains really helped localize the bass to where I really want it and not the rest of the house..Most of the house is still sort of a shell , so im sure thats helping the waves go all over the place!
chucky7 and Mike Butny like this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #36760 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
I just wonder if not having the V18 @ ground level takes away some of the TR I may get?
I have measured my xs30 using REW between having the sub on the floor vs being elevated around 2ft in the same location, it made quite a bit of difference in the midbass range. With the elevated position having a bigger dip in the midbass vs on the floor.

This site has a way to calculate it http://tripp.com.au/sbir.htm if you want to enter all the numbers.
Mike Butny and Pulloutchamp like this.

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator
post #36761 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
Quote:
Finally got around to saving some measurements since I got the V1801s a couple of weeks ago. I tried some distance tweaks with the subs but what XT32 set it at seems to be best. Let me know what you guys think.

Both subs at 80hz crossover

Both subs at crossover at 80 and 100hz

Right and Left sub only

Right and left sub + ctr at 100hz

I am starting to think that you should move the sub and/or the MLP... You are not getting anything below 18Hz, considering your room is on the small size... I see that when you graphed for Cap 1400 before as well as now...
FattyMcButterPants likes this.

Panasonic TC-P55UT50
Pioneer SC-1222-K
Polk Audio LSiM703 / LSiM706c / RTiA3
JTR Captivator 1400
post #36762 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
I have measured my xs30 using REW between having the sub on the floor vs being elevated around 2ft in the same location, it made quite a bit of difference in the midbass range. With the elevated position having a bigger dip in the midbass vs on the floor.

This site has a way to calculate it http://tripp.com.au/sbir.htm if you want to enter all the numbers.
I will give it a try...I think I may just move the tower out of the way and have them side by side , that way I can power on and off fairly quickly and have a good idea of what I just thought in my head..There are probably slight differences not being in the same exact spot , but thats splitting hairs to me..

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #36763 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I am starting to think that you should move the sub and/or the MLP... You are not getting anything below 18Hz, considering your room is on the small size... I see that when you graphed for Cap 1400 before as well as now...

Yeah. That was biggest difference I felt between the sealed and ported. I don't have much flexibility to move either given a small room. I can may be bring the subs closer together and measure. But I know with the sealed was getting solid extension down to 5hz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chucky7 likes this.
post #36764 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Paragraphs save lives.
Alan P, klh007, Mike Butny and 4 others like this.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #36765 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 5680
Okay I finally had some free time to play around with DEQ. I turned DEQ back on and ran my subs 3 dB hot over what Audyssey set the trim at. I watched the movie LIFE today and didn't find the bass to be muddy per se but I think I need to watch a movie I'm more familiar with to really make a definitive statement on that. The hotter surround channels didn't bother me to much but if I decide to keep DEQ engaged I think I will turn them down a dB or two.

On a side note I'm convinced that I'm definitely noticing more TR with my couch sitting on the plywood. Like I said it's not a huge earth shattering amount of shaking but it's far more frequent than it used to be. For the cost of this modification it's was definitely worth it.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Denon X4200 - Oppo UDP-203 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
post #36766 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. That was biggest difference I felt between the sealed and ported. I don't have much flexibility to move either given a small room. I can may be bring the subs closer together and measure. But I know with the sealed was getting solid extension down to 5hz.

If you can't get the extension you want then an option would be dual S3000I'S.
SuperFist and Hopinater like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 09-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.
post #36767 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you can't get the extension you want a trade in for dual S3000I'S might fit you well. Just a thought.

Lol. Mike I just went from dual Submersives HPs 2400 watts to V1801s. The reasons were not that I did not like them but something else where they would trip my breaker on base heavy scenes. I do prefer the grunt of a ported sub. I really don't care for single sight extension as I am after chest slam which what the V1801 is good at. I was just responding to chucky where he stated I should move MLP or subs as I was not getting anything below 18hz.

Mike Butny likes this.
post #36768 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Paragraphs save lives.
Paragraphs are for term papers , never-ending ramblings are for AVS forums...lol
chucky7, Mike Butny, bulls and 2 others like this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #36769 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Okay I finally had some free time to play around with DEQ. I turned DEQ back on and ran my subs 3 dB hot over what Audyssey set the trim at. I watched the movie LIFE today and didn't find the bass to be muddy per se but I think I need to watch a movie I'm more familiar with to really make a definitive statement on that. The hotter surround channels didn't bother me to much but if I decide to keep DEQ engaged I think I will turn them down a dB or two.

On a side note I'm convinced that I'm definitely noticing more TR with my couch sitting on the plywood. Like I said it's not a huge earth shattering amount of shaking but it's far more frequent than it used to be. For the cost of this modification it's was definitely worth it.
I agree 100% with the Plywood. DEQ might not sound muddy to you because you lowered the sub trim from -10 to -3. That might be a good option if you like the overall effects of DEQ.

post #36770 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol. Mike I just went from dual Submersives HPs 2400 watts to V1801s. The reasons were not that I did not like them but something else where they would trip my breaker on base heavy scenes. I do prefer the grunt of a ported sub. I really don't care for single sight extension as I am after chest slam which what the V1801 is good at. I was just responding to chucky where he stated I should move MLP or subs as I was not getting anything below 18hz.

I just noticed you are from Houston, Texas. I hope all is well.

post #36771 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just noticed you are from Houston, Texas. I hope all is well.

Thanks. Very fortunate and blessed to have come out okay from the storm. Not many are able to say that unfortunately.

post #36772 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Hi Hop
Nice to see you giving DEQ another chance. Don't forget to experiment with the DEQ RLO, you might find changing it to -5dB (and perhaps adding even a few more dB to the sub) may be more to your liking, without needing to reduce the surrounds. I do think the fact that DEQ boosts the bass up to 200hz MAY be why some don't like it. I personally do like it, and (at least in my case) the PSA speakers seem to sound better with the slight midbass boost that DEQ provides. As with everything - YMMV
Hopinater likes this.

TV: Panasonic P65ST60
AVR: Denon X-1000
Speakers: PSA MTM-210C, PSA MTM-210's, PSA MT-110's
Subwoofers: SVS PB-2000 x 4
post #36773 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree 100% with the Plywood. DEQ might not sound muddy to you because you lowered the sub trim from -10 to -3. That might be a good option if you like the overall effects of DEQ.
Good point. I do not think running DEQ plus running the subs 9 to 10 db hot to be a good idea. I think that's why some guys are complaining about port noise. Many do not have a clue of just how over the top that type of set up is.

post #36774 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
Hi Hop
Nice to see you giving DEQ another chance. Don't forget to experiment with the DEQ RLO, you might find changing it to -5dB (and perhaps adding even a few more dB to the sub) may be more to your liking, without needing to reduce the surrounds. I do think the fact that DEQ boosts the bass up to 200hz MAY be why some don't like it. I personally do like it, and (at least in my case) the PSA speakers seem to sound better with the slight midbass boost that DEQ provides. As with everything - YMMV
Hey that's an idea I never considered that. I'll look into it. This is an easy thing to experiment with because you don't have to re-run the Audyssey set up EVERY time you make a change. I can not express in words how tired I am of running the Audyssey set up. 8 mic positions, 5 speakers, 2 subs. It almost makes me not want to add Atmos.

post #36775 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. Very fortunate and blessed to have come out okay from the storm. Not many are able to say that unfortunately.
I agree with Mike... I'm thankful you made it through unscathed. My prayers are with those who didn't. That goes for both Texas and Florida. Hang in there all you who are struggling with the destruction. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Mike Butny and vardo like this.

post #36776 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree with Mike... I'm thankful you made it through unscathed. My prayers are with those who didn't. That goes for both Texas and Florida. Hang in there all you who are struggling with the destruction. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thanks my friend. A lot of people are suffering with their lives turned upside down on both states. People in Florida did listen to the authorities which I think spared a lot of lives, things could have been much worse.

On an another note, now I am thinking of giving DEQ another try. I always used to listen with DEQ on but I also never had this type of sub fire power. You have got me interested.

Also your experiment confirms that there is no substitute for a suspended floor. With dual 1801s in my media room on suspended floor the TR is insane. The couch feel like massage chairs.

What do you think about the FR graphs I posted earlier today? Sounds pretty good to me which is of course the most important thing.

Mike Butny and Hopinater like this.
post #36777 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 872
Quote:
Hey that's an idea I never considered that. I'll look into it. This is an easy thing to experiment with because you don't have to re-run the Audyssey set up EVERY time you make a change. I can not express in words how tired I am of running the Audyssey set up. 8 mic positions, 5 speakers, 2 subs. It almost makes me not want to add Atmos.
Re running audyssey is a royal pain in the butt! 9 speakers 4 subs here takes at least 25 minutes
I'm currently testing the no dynamic eq but sub trims bumped up 7, surrounds and center bumped up 1.
Gonna give Blade Runner 4k a whirl tomorrow and Jupiter Ascending.
post #36778 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
I'm going to compliment you on your desire to get this right. So here's what I think you need to do. You paid some guy who really doesn't care about dialing in your system half as much as you do. And I'm willing to bet that 99% of the people who hire him take whatever he does and trust that it's right. But those people aren't members of AVS... and you are. So you have a wealth of information available to you that those people don't.

IMO what we are discovering is that the "Professionals" have dropped the ball. So I think you need to learn how to do this stuff for yourself. I get it, it's intimidating. But you really need to SEE what's going on in your room in real time. You need to be able to experiment and SEE what the results of you experiment are. This means REW.

Without it you are just guessing. You have close to $8,000 in subwoofers so you owe it to yourself to learn REW. Trust me, it's not hard. No... its not plug and play but it's not rocket science either. And there are plenty of us here who know how to use it and are willing to help you learn. Some guys like Alan P and basshead (and others as well) are very knowledgeable with it.

One nice thing about the PSA sub thread is we're a family here... we won't leave you hanging. We'll help you figure out REW so you can properly dial in your room on your own without having to depend on some professional who only cares enough to get paid. So trust me on this...buy a UMIK, download REW, and follow the link in Bassheads signature on REW. You'll be up and running in no time.
If REW intimidates him he can buy Omnimic software for around $300. It really is plug and play. I have both and prefer Omnimic as I can have sweeps running in 5 minutes even if I haven't used it in 6 months.
Hopinater likes this.
post #36779 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 794
when i run tests everything off in vr...my sub amp gets adjusted...i note all positions of sub amp cause many....in my case, i like to keep avr out of business when doing rew,

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #36780 of 36992 Old 09-13-2017, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Quote:
Good point. I do not think running DEQ plus running the subs 9 to 10 db hot to be a good idea. I think that's why some guys are complaining about port noise. Many do not have a clue of just how over the top that type of set up is.
DEQ enabled with sub 8 dB hot and no port noise whatsoever here. Just a whole bunch of bass. LOL
Mike Butny likes this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page