Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1233 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32297Likes

post #36961 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
No!!! Don't fight it! Do it!

I absolutely think you should trade in all your subs and get dual S7201's. I don't know why you wouldn't. Really when you think about it you deserve them because you work hard and you've earned them. You owe it to yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
I agree, any body who can fit them, should get them, no doubt!
Hmm..if I trade in all my subs I could probably cover one 7201!
Then just wait for my yearly bonus check and boom! There's the other!
But seriously I think my neighbors would totally kill me!
They had to put up with I believe five bass heavy movies all day yesterday
One day, when I move and build my dedicated theater room mark my words I will get them!
Mike Butny and Hopinater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36962 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Hmm..if I trade in all my subs I could probably cover one 7201!
Then just wait for my yearly bonus check and boom! There's the other!
But seriously I think my neighbors would totally kill me!
They had to put up with I believe five bass heavy movies all day yesterday
One day, when I move and build my dedicated theater room mark my words I will get them!

Dedicated media room is the way to go, but there are few that can accommodate two of these monsters. I have a dedicated media room 2100 cuft but no way I can fit them in there. So if you build one, make sure its big enough for them...
subacabra likes this.
post #36963 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Omg you're not kidding! Bass fest and crazy visuals. Wish I sprung for the 4k version but the regular blu ray was still amazing.
Funny side story, yesterday an old buddy stopped by and saw the two v1500's and was like, "Are those subwoofers?!?"
I laughed and said yes, and there's two more over here(pointing to two 15v's)
The look on his face was priceless
Had the same thing happen this weekend , a buddy who hadnt been over in awhile brought his son who has never been over. My buddy takes his son over to the sub and pulls off the screen and they both laugh when they see the 18" , and he points over to the other S36 and says "Yeah hes got 2 18's in here.." I kind of chuckled and did the OxyClean guy "BUT WAIT THERES MORE!" Pulled the S36 forward and showed him the one in the back and he just looked at me defeated almost and said "Why!!??" All I could say was "WHY NOT??"

Quote:
No!!! Don't fight it! Do it!

I absolutely think you should trade in all your subs and get dual S7201's. I don't know why you wouldn't. Really when you think about it you deserve them because you work hard and you've earned them. You owe it to yourself. 😇
I just could not imagine dual 7201s , 2 S36's are fantastic! Kind of makes me wonder about the power spikes? I hit a bit of a snag saturday night during the prelims of the fight. A couple of my buddies came inside real quick to take a listen..So I put on the EOT intro and let it rip and on the last bass note it tripped the breaker! Odd because I thought our contractor put a 20amp line there for that reason. So I got a bunch of BOO's from the outside viewing peanut gallery...I threatened to throw them all out if they didnt pipe down , which only made them do it louder .. anyhow Im going to have to ask him what else is on that line , I figured with that line I would have power to spare?
Mike Butny, sk373, Nalleh and 1 others like this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1

post #36964 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztech View Post
Hi rolldog, I enjoyed reading your post of thinking out of the box placement for your speakers and subs. I too plan on moving into another home if the Lord permits and was wondering what category of power wire are you using for your hi-fi set up? Did you upgrade outlets and have your electrician put in dedicated outlets? What type of ground setup do you have? Did you have to upgrade your power box? I'm just trying get some pointers here on some dedicated house wiring. I actually liked the idea of having your pc13 ultra in the closet. If your living room closet is a hollow core door, it's like the closet door ain't even there with that down firing, top port firing sub! I've always been of a mind that sometimes you want the sub to be placed where you want it. And then you can tune it for that particular position. I didn't even know what a sub crawl was until here recently. I just would slam em in the corner. Still learning.
Sorry, I just got back on this forum for the first time in a while. Regarding your wiring questions, unfortunately, I made an impulse purchase of my house because I needed a place to live for about a year, while my other house gets remodeled. I couldn't justify renting an apartment just to throw away money paying rent for at least a year when I could actually build up equity in a house as long as the house was in a highly desirable neighborhood and could be sold easily. When I first started looking at houses, I ran across a friend of mine, who I've known since high school, and he was about 2 weeks away from finishing a spec house in a new neighborhood, he gave me a good deal, so I bought it. This was back in April, and today, I'm still working on this house. Obviously, my plans have changed. The money I paid for an architect to draw up plans to remodel my old house was a waste because I've decided to stay in this new house. Not only is the neighborhood safe and in a convenient location, my daughters can both walk to school from here in 5 minutes, which is a huge plus since their school does not have a bus service. Now, all the time wasted driving carpool or going back out to their school because one of them had some after school activities is in the past. I've decided to just sell my old house instead.

Since this was a spec house, I've had to do a TON of work. The house was supposed to be pre-wired for CAT5e and speaker drops were supposed to be in a few locations, but all of the existing wiring had to be ripped out and redone. I've had the house wired for whole home audio/video with CAT6 coming off a matrix to deliver 4K UHD HDR content with an Atmos/DTS:X soundtrack. I have 8 TVs, all of which are 4K HDR, I have a 5.1 setup in the living room using Sonance in-ceiling speakers and a hidden SVS PB13 Ultra in a media closet under the stairs, which was the only setup possible given the open floor plan and ceiling height, and upstairs I have a 7.1.4 setup using Triad Silver in-wall and in-ceiling speakers and a PSA S3601, which is also hidden away. I have wood floors throughout my house, but behind the wall in the media room is a 20 foot long carpeted hallway where the subs is and the racks for all of my equipment. I had to run a dedicated 50 amp circuit to this hallway and I had to run a dedicated 50 amp circuit to where my pool equipment was being located, plus, I had to run a 2" gas line from the gas meter on one side of the house to the other side of the house (up one side, across the attic, down the other side, then run underground about 10 feet). Afterwards, I had to call the gas/power company to come upgrade my gas meter to a 2 lb gas meter so I'd have enough pressure to provide gas to all of my appliances/fire pits/fire places/gas lanterns/stoves/grills/etc.

So, to answer your question, yes. I had to run a dedicated circuit to where all my audio/video equipment is located, with the exception of one closet downstairs where one rack is located and only has a few components in it. Everything would have been much easier if I would have designed this house and had it built to my specs because having to go back, tear out the prior wiring since it was either done cheaply or the wires were cut somehow during the building process, then re-wire everything to handle the bandwidth for the distribution of a 4K HDR signal with an Atmos/DTS:X soundtrack through a Control4 automation system that controls everything inside and outside of the house, but as I mentioned, this was supposed to be a temporary move and turned into a place where I intend to stay for a while. I closed on this house in April, and I'm almost finished "remodeling" it. Since I closed on my house, my builder has poured a slab for a custom house across the street, and they're moving in next weekend, so I've done quite a bit of work here.
post #36965 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 5136 Post(s)
Liked: 3836
Quote:
...but I can now affirm that a flat graph does not always sound the best!
Truer words have never been spoken.

I have found the same with my subs. After measuring with REW for about a year straight, and learning how my response looks in different locations/orientations, I've pretty much went to the "adjust by ear" method and I use whatever sounds best to me...graphs be damned!

I believe that it is very important to have the ability to measure your system so that you know what is going on in your room, but after you have that info I think it is perfectly acceptable to make compromises in the graph if it fits your preference.
post #36966 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 5136 Post(s)
Liked: 3836
I would LOVE to do dual S7201s up front in my room, but being a living room, they would HAVE to have grills.

C'mon Tom, how hard can it be to plop a grill over that gaping hole?
Mike Butny and ereed like this.
post #36967 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Just stretch a giant sheer stocking over it or given nobody has such wide legs a strip of stocking stretched over the two cavities and some duct tape holding it in the back.
post #36968 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2340 Post(s)
Liked: 5902
Quote:
Dedicated media room is the way to go, but there are few that can accommodate two of these monsters. I have a dedicated media room 2100 cuft but no way I can fit them in there. So if you build one, make sure its big enough for them...
I don't have a dedicated media room (although my wife would argue that fact sometimes) but I could accommodate two in my room. However, the price tag would be too much. Besides, with return shipping etc I think if I were to add more fire power it would be cheaper to get two more V3601's and stack them on top of the existing ones. Hmmmm... There's an idea.

But no... My wife would kill me. Besides I'm shrinking my room down in a few months by adding a door to close off the hall so I'll be going from well over 5200 cubic feet to 2700 cubic feet.

So the dual V3601's I have may be over kill soon. But that's okay because when it comes to subwoofers I love over kill. IMO subwoofer over kill is a term that simply means you have the right amount of subwoofers. Those DIY guys with 24 eighteen inch drivers and 100,000 watts in a room? They have it figured out!

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203
Denon X4200 - Panamax M4300 - Apple TV - Xbox360 - Crowson Motion Actuator's
post #36969 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Since I first purchased a PSA V1500 due to the persistent, insistent residents of the The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts forum, I thought I'd put a word in about my beginning Love Story of PSA subs!

I was originally indoctrinated into the realm of Bass Addiction first and foremost by a fellow comrade on the Slickdeals forum wherein he was schooling me on capable, budget subwoofers. This led me to purchasing the Dayton Audio SUB-1200 on sale for $125 shipped. I was amazed, awed and enveloped in a bass realm heretofore unbeknownst to me (outside of the 2 sealed 10" JL Audio DVC subs in my Lexus). I was so impressed with them, I bought a second one shortly thereafter.

A couple of months down the road, I happened upon The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts forum wherein I was coerced to rent, check-out and purchase movies with good LFE in them. Some time later I realized the best bass movie scenes noted by others just wasn't being experienced by me as such. I dismissed it, thinking that I just wasn't ready to commit to the higher dollar cost of audiophile subwoofers and kept trudging along with my Daytons that I was more than satisfied with.

Then... curiosity got the best of me as I was at first heavily encouraged to DIY my own subs. After an adamant refusal from myself, many members then directed me to the ID sub manufacturers to which I greedily read about as much as I could. After comparing and recomparing reviews, write-ups and member feedback, I finally settled on the V1500 which Tom kindly offered prompt and courteous e-mail support and guidance. After suffering a horrendous FedEx doortag visit when I was actually home but they didn't knock or ring the doorbell on a Friday for which I took the day off from work, I finally got them to deliver it that Saturday, after much frustration, argumentation and complaint.

I was stupefied and thrilled with the aural awesomeness and sheer power of the V1500 as I had never heard such force in my home theater before. My house reeled and ached from the waves and pulsations of bass from such hard hitting monsters as The Incredible Hulk, Tron Legacy, 9, War Of The Worlds, Deepwater Horizon, Pulse, 13 Hours, Hacksaw Ridge, Mad Max: Fury Road and many more. But it wasn't until I listed to the very beginning of Edge Of Tomorrow that I wondered how those 5 different ULF bursts would sound on a sealed sub!

I tried to dismiss my curiosity to experience the same power with a sealed sub, but it wouldn't last for long. So I scoured these forums for comparisons on the V1500 with other sealed subs and I came upon 2 or 3 different threads that pitted it against the S3000i. In all instances, the reviewers preferred the sound signature and sheer pressurized punch of the S3000i. "That's it!", I resolved. I just had to experience it for myself!

So I first contacted Tom about how I would, if I could, match the V1500 with the S3000i and Tom echoed what pretty much everyone on these forums know... NOT A GOOD IDEA! So I asked him if I could compare them and he let me know as long as I realize I'd be responsible for the return shipping on either of them, which is north of $100. I didn't care, it was worth the Home Trial alone for me!

As soon as the S3000i came from FedEx, which I was ready for, I eagerly and swiftly set it up... and WOW!!! The first thing I listened to was the very beginning of Edge Of Tomorrow and... it's like I never heard it before!!! THIS is how it SHOULD sound!!! I was in love instantly! The precise, pressurization of the bass notes entertained me as if the sub was an instrument in and of itself! My couch rattled like I had Buttkickers attached to them!

I remember distinctly playing Jupiter Ascending with the V1500 and it was nice. But then I watched it with the S3000i... Oh My Goodness!!! There were effects I was hearing for the first time!!! That's it, I resolved... this badboy is mine! The V1500 is going back!!! And I am eventually getting another S3000i.

Thank you for reading my long arse novel!

Last edited by SuperFist; 09-18-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #36970 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have a dedicated media room (although my wife would argue that fact sometimes) but I could accommodate two in my room. However, the price tag would be too much. Besides, with return shipping etc I think if I were to add more fire power it would be cheaper to get two more V3601's and stack them on top of the existing ones. Hmmmm... There's an idea.

But no... My wife would kill me. Besides I'm shrinking my room down in a few months by adding a door to close off the hall so I'll be going from well over 5200 cubic feet to 2700 cubic feet.

So the dual V3601's I have may be over kill soon. But that's okay because when it comes to subwoofers I love over kill. IMO subwoofer over kill is a term that simply means you have the right amount of subwoofers. Those DIY guys with 24 eighteen inch drivers and 100,000 watts in a room? They have it figured out!

Yeah. It's could amazing how quickly one adapts to the bass and then it starts feeling like you want more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36971 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
This is PSA's Facebook post

"We have a pair of XS30 subwoofers heading to the outlet. Very good condition overall, just passed all QC checks...they perform flawlessly. $949 each, $1849 for the pair. Email me(support@powersoundaudio) or pop into chat with any questions."
sk373 and FattyMcButterPants like this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #36972 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Since I first purchased a PSA V1500 due to the persistent, insistent residents of the The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts forum, I thought I'd put a word in about my beginning Love Story of PSA subs!

I was originally indoctrinated into the realm of Bass Addiction first and foremost by a fellow comrade on the Slickdeals forum wherein he was schooling me on capable, budget subwoofers. This led me to purchasing the Dayton Audio SUB-1200 on sale for $125 shipped. I was amazed, awed and enveloped in a bass realm heretofore unbeknownst to me (outside of the 2 sealed 10" JL Audio DVC subs in my Lexus). I was so impressed with them, I bought a second one shortly thereafter.

A couple of months down the road, I happened upon The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts forum wherein I was coerced to rent, check-out and purchase movies with good LFE in them. Some time later I realized the best bass movie scenes noted by others just wasn't being experienced by me as such. I dismissed it, thinking that I just wasn't ready to commit to the higher dollar cost of audiophile subwoofers and kept trudging along with my Daytons that I was more than satisfied with.

Then... curiosity got the best of me as I was at first heavily encouraged to DIY my own subs. After an adamant refusal from myself, many members then directed me to the ID sub manufacturers to which I greedily read about as much as I could. After comparing and recomparing reviews, write-ups and member feedback, I finally settled on the V1500 which Tom kindly offered prompt and courteous e-mail support and guidance. After suffering a horrendous FedEx doortag visit when I was actually home but they didn't knock or ring the doorbell on a Friday for which I took the day off from work, I finally got them to deliver it that Saturday, after much frustration, argumentation and complaint.

I was stupefied and thrilled with the aural awesomeness and sheer power of the V1500 as I had never heard such force in my home theater before. My house reeled and ached from the waves and pulsations of bass from such hard hitting monsters as The Incredible Hulk, Tron Legacy, 9, War Of The Worlds, Deepwater Horizon, Pulse, 13 Hours, Hacksaw Ridge, Mad Max: Fury Road and many more. But it wasn't until I listed to the very beginning of Edge Of Tomorrow that I wondered how those 5 different ULF bursts would sound on a sealed sub!

I tried to dismiss my curiosity to experience the same power with a sealed sub, but it wouldn't last for long. So I scoured these forums for comparisons on the V1500 with other sealed subs and I came upon 2 or 3 different threads that pitted it against the S3000i. In all instances, the reviewers preferred the sound signature and sheer pressurized punch of the S3000i. "That's it!", I resolved. I just had to experience it for myself!

So I first contacted Tom about how I would, if I could, match the V1500 with the S3000i and Tom echoed what pretty much everyone on these forums know... NOT A GOOD IDEA! So I asked him if I could compare them and he let me know as long as I realize I'd be responsible for the return shipping on either of them, which is north of $100. I didn't care, it was worth the Home Trial alone for me!

As soon as the S3000i came from FedEx, which I was ready for, I eagerly and swiftly set it up... and WOW!!! The first thing I listened to was the very beginning of Edge Of Tomorrow and... it's like I never heard it before!!! THIS is how it SHOULD sound!!! I was in love instantly! The precise, pressurization of the bass notes entertained me as if the sub was an instrument in and of itself! My couch rattled like I had Buttkickers attached to them!

I remember distinctly playing Jupiter Ascending with the V1500 and it was nice. But then I watched it with the S3000i... Oh My Goodness!!! There were effects I was hearing for the first time!!! That's it, I resolved... this badboy is mine! The V1500 is going back!!! And I am eventually getting another S3000i.

Congrats and welcome to the sealed side

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #36973 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:

I'm feeling the same way having come from dual XV15se subs and upgrading to the S7201. The world of bass was there before, but now the entire universe of bass awesomeness is at my every beck and call.
SuperFist, sk373 and Pradeep2 like this.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #36974 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 01:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Truer words have never been spoken.

I have found the same with my subs. After measuring with REW for about a year straight, and learning how my response looks in different locations/orientations, I've pretty much went to the "adjust by ear" method and I use whatever sounds best to me...graphs be damned!

I believe that it is very important to have the ability to measure your system so that you know what is going on in your room, but after you have that info I think it is perfectly acceptable to make compromises in the graph if it fits your preference.
Yeah Alan, it was a real learning for me. I had a good response to begin with but the SQ of the TR was much better with driver facing forward....
post #36975 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Omg you're not kidding! Bass fest and crazy visuals. Wish I sprung for the 4k version but the regular blu ray was still amazing.
Funny side story, yesterday an old buddy stopped by and saw the two v1500's and was like, "Are those subwoofers?!?"
Quote:

Currently giving some S36's a trial run VS my V1801's , and I have to agree with you all the way....Plus , for some reason I feel like more of an adult with a sealed sub. Like ever since I got it , ive been paying all my bills on time , flossing twice a day , only been going to the strip club 3 times a week...And even when I do go to the club , its just to compare their subwoofers to mine , and wonder how much better mine would sound playing booty music compared to their 40hz tuned disaster.......
SuperFist, ahblaza, gbreda and 4 others like this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #36976 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
Currently giving some S36's a trial run VS my V1801's , and I have to agree with you all the way....Plus , for some reason I feel like more of an adult with a sealed sub. Like ever since I got it , ive been paying all my bills on time , flossing twice a day , only been going to the strip club 3 times a week...And even when I do go to the club , its just to compare their subwoofers to mine , and wonder how much better mine would sound playing booty music compared to their 40hz tuned disaster.......

Lol. Not to ruin the sealed party, but I had dual seaton Submersives HPs for about a month and agree all that is being said. But when I listened to the V1801s there was something about the violence of the bass and the grunt of the ported that attracted me. This debate about sealed vs ported has been going on for a while and each ending with personal preference. The other thing for me is that I have an all PSA set up and the entire system just seems to play so well together that it is seamless. They present themselves as one big speaker. So may be that is also impacting my perception. I have heard though that the PSA sealed have more impact and thump than some others. I can't say that for sure since I have not tried one but people that have do say so.

Last edited by imureh; 09-18-2017 at 04:33 PM.
post #36977 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Bwahahahaaaaaa!!!!
David Charles likes this.
post #36978 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's awesome.

post #36979 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That's an awesome story and it's very well written and entertaining as well. I know you've had a PSA sub for a month or two but allow me to take this opportunity to welcome you to the PSA subwoofer family.

Truthfully this place is an asylum for bass addicts... but it's a fun asylum.
Mike Butny likes this.

post #36980 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 PM

Watched Lone Survivor on the s7201, Dynamic EQ on and +3 on the receiver sub gain, Auddesey set the sub to -5.

Helicopter insertion scene is just mindblowing. Can definitely smell the freshness of the drivers as they pump out the 7 Hz. And then at the end with the attack on the village, impact is just insane.

First run the sub was about 8 feet away, second time I brought it in to about 4ft. Now I have it very near field, I'm sitting on one half of a loveseat, the s72 is placed parallel along the back of the couch with the upper cavity less than 1 ft from my head to the left, this allows me to not block line of sight to my single rear speaker, basically takes all the room between my rear and surround left. Sub speaker distance set to 0.3 feet. Very tactile response at this range, even on a floating concrete slab.
post #36981 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Watched Lone Survivor on the s7201, Dynamic EQ on and +3 on the receiver sub gain, Auddesey set the sub to -5.

Helicopter insertion scene is just mindblowing. Can definitely smell the freshness of the drivers as they pump out the 7 Hz. And then at the end with the attack on the village, impact is just insane.

First run the sub was about 8 feet away, second time I brought it in to about 4ft. Now I have it very near field, I'm sitting on one half of a loveseat, the s72 is placed parallel along the back of the couch with the upper cavity less than 1 ft from my head to the left, this allows me to not block line of sight to my single rear speaker, basically takes all the room between my rear and surround left. Sub speaker distance set to 0.3 feet. Very tactile response at this range, even on a floating concrete slab.
You have the S7201 nearfield? Next to your head?

Now that's intense!!
Mike Butny likes this.

post #36982 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:

Picture please! Lol
post #36983 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:

The coating on the coil wires does get a little smelly at first, especially with the exposed motor vent. I imagine it will dissipate after a time. You're probably smelling a little bit of the off-gassing from the cabinet coating and interior baffle insulation.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #36984 of 37582 Old 09-18-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Picture please! Lol
Pic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170919_004110-2241x3984.jpg (1.75 MB, 164 views)
subacabra likes this.
post #36985 of 37582 Old 09-19-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
...I remember distinctly playing Jupiter Ascending with the V1500 and it was nice. But then I watched it with the S3000i... Oh My Goodness!!! There were effects I was hearing for the first time!!! That's it, I resolved... this badboy is mine! The V1500 is going back!!! And I am eventually getting another S3000i.

And thank you for posting. I have been planning the S3000i for my own HT but am still a way off from purchasing, and need all the re-enforcement I can get. Apart from its performance I like the size, and the different cabinet finishes.

Though I'm struggling ATM to find the web page where pics of the various finishes are shown--what happened to it?
post #36986 of 37582 Old 09-19-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
And thank you for posting. I have been planning the S3000i for my own HT but am still a way off from purchasing, and need all the re-enforcement I can get. Apart from its performance I like the size, and the different cabinet finishes.

Though I'm struggling ATM to find the web page where pics of the various finishes are shown--what happened to it?
The S3000i website looks good to me; the different custom finish pics are all there.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/s3000i

If you're still having trouble, I bet Tom can link you some pics in chat.
Hopinater likes this.

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1801 x2 & V1800 x2, B1200D x2
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2
Processing/EQ: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP
post #36987 of 37582 Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 201
So I experimenting with moving my v3601 right behind my couch with the drivers /port about 1 inch from the couch. It was insanely intense and while I still need to dial it in, I liked it and it reminded of my old car stereo for spl.

My question: is it ok for the port to be that close or should I leave a few inches? I already have my couch moved quite far off the wall to accommodate the sub and I'd like to save every inch I can. If it requires too much space for the port, I'll scrap the VNF idea.

SBuger and Pulloutchamp like this.
post #36988 of 37582 Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Lol. Not to ruin the sealed party, but I had dual seaton Submersives HPs for about a month and agree all that is being said. But when I listened to the V1801s there was something about the violence of the bass and the grunt of the ported that attracted me. This debate about sealed vs ported has been going on for a while and each ending with personal preference. The other thing for me is that I have an all PSA set up and the entire system just seems to play so well together that it is seamless. They present themselves as one big speaker. So may be that is also impacting my perception. I have heard though that the PSA sealed have more impact and thump than some others. I can't say that for sure since I have not tried one but people that have do say so.

Im thinking of hooking the V1801's back up in a day or 2 ... i think I have gotten adjusted to the sealed sound and ready to see what the ported can throw back at me...We have been doing so much work at the house , the thought of more gets me exhausted lol...

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #36989 of 37582 Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
The S3000i website looks good to me; the different custom finish pics are all there.

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/s3000i

If you're still having trouble, I bet Tom can link you some pics in chat.
I just added a button that links to an image containing all of the finish options under the components tab on the product page. Lead times for the wood options are usually two weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finish_options.png
Views:	80
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	2285044  
climber07 and Sekosche like this.

Jim Farina
Power Sound Audio
post #36990 of 37582 Old 09-19-2017, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 3400 Post(s)
Liked: 5005
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
So I experimenting with moving my v3601 right behind my couch with the drivers /port about 1 inch from the couch. It was insanely intense and while I still need to dial it in, I liked it and it reminded of my old car stereo for spl.

My question: is it ok for the port to be that close or should I leave a few inches? I already have my couch moved quite far off the wall to accommodate the sub and I'd like to save every inch I can. If it requires too much space for the port, I'll scrap the VNF idea.

That's an interesting question. If your sub doesn't make any bad noises that close to the couch, then I wouldn't worry about it. With round ports, and the ports facing toward a wall, I remember hearing the advice to leave about one port diameter of space for the ports to breathe. With a slot port, though, even an inch or so might be enough.

Again, I would probably let my ears be the guide. If your sub doesn't exhibit any bad noises from having the port close to the couch, then there shouldn't be any problem. And, you should get some pretty insane tactile sensations. As I think about the location of the slot port, it may actually not be fully obstructed by the couch anyway, unless the couch sits flush to the floor. And, the top of the couch will probably be closer to the front of the subwoofer than the bottom of the couch (where the port is located) will be.

Regards,
Mike
SBuger and David Charles like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page