Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1236 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32233Likes

post #37051 of 37551 Old 09-21-2017, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Don't tell me, you forgot to the RSC back to large after cal... LOL

No, i def did. I moved sub and entire room. First though, I found a decent pre audyssey response and then ran audyssey at room setting at 1/4. Then I Simply took 8 audyssey locations and the response is very very good until 80 hz where there is a sharp and narrow dip (prob inaudible). Room setting is on high after audyssey. Just some tweaking (after several prior tweaks) did the trick. In the process, I bent my umik usb cable and need to get a new one. It’s beyond fixable I think. Are they expensive?

I had the graph and then the program stopped working due to the umik failure and I never did save that actual graph but it was very flat from 17 to 80. I’ll take 17 hz fall off with a 19 hz ported sub. I have the subs waves hitting off a short wall opposite an opening and it was the one spot that I didn’t think of placing it ( due to my couch) but alas, new couch and great location. Sorry, cocktail hour and sitting prior to the roger waters concert in Cleveland #buzzed

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
climber07 and Hopinater like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #37052 of 37551 Old 09-21-2017, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
No, i def did. I moved sub and entire room. First though, I found a decent pre audyssey response and then ran audyssey at room setting at 1/4. Then I Simply took 8 audyssey locations and the response is very very good until 80 hz where there is a sharp and narrow dip (prob inaudible). Room setting is on high after audyssey. Just some tweaking (after several prior tweaks) did the trick. In the process, I bent my umik usb cable and need to get a new one. It’s beyond fixable I think. Are they expensive?

I had the graph and then the program stopped working due to the umik failure and I never did save that actual graph but it was very flat from 17 to 80. I’ll take 17 hz fall off with a 19 hz ported sub. I have the subs waves hitting off a short wall opposite an opening and it was the one spot that I didn’t think of placing it ( due to my couch) but alas, new couch and great location. Sorry, cocktail hour and sitting prior to the roger waters concert in Cleveland #buzzed

Dave

The USB cables for the Umik are very cheap. Check out Amazon. They carry the monoprice cable. Probably less than $10.

Did your TR change in the new location? I just did something similar with my dual V1801s and found the set up that had the best FR, did not sound as good.

post #37053 of 37551 Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
The USB cables for the Umik are very cheap. Check out Amazon. They carry the monoprice cable. Probably less than $10.

Did your TR change in the new location? I just did something similar with my dual V1801s and found the set up that had the best FR, did not sound as good.

No where near as good... I had the 3601 next to couch but I felt it was too far from mains and didn’t blend in. 2 subs would solve it

post #37054 of 37551 Old 09-21-2017, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 5879
Quote:

Dave
I like a success story. It's good to see your persistence paid off.
Mike Butny and ahblaza like this.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203
Denon X4200 - Panamax M4300 - Apple TV - Xbox360 - Crowson Motion Actuator's
post #37055 of 37551 Old 09-21-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked: 2212
Quote:

Dave

Dave, glad to hear you got it worked out, I didn't think there was much wrong with your initial graph, remember what I said about the graph axis limits, the vertical scale top limit, increments of 5 dB not 10.
I think this is the cable you need:
https://www.amazon.com/iXCC-Durable-...b+to+micro+usb

Don't go over 15 feet with the mic cable, if you need it longer buy a powered USB adapter, I have one and it's great. If you calibrate your sub like you take pictures I can see why the low end was missing..
post #37056 of 37551 Old 09-21-2017, 09:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 6573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
Damn , Im back to square one! ..... I dont really know what happen or what or why , but all the amazement and pure satisfaction I had with the S36's is gone...Its really back to how I thought on day one , that it was close between the V18's and the S36's , but then a day or so later I felt the S36's came alive and left me not even wanting to hook the V18's back up. Well last night after a couple of days of this thought , I hooked the V18's back up just to clear my head and get a sound refresher...I really do not know what happened.
Up until Saturday it was pure bliss! I really dont know if that the circuit popping had something to do with it , but it was like the very next day or so that I thought I noticed something lacking and it just hasnt came back since sunday or so.. All the settings are the same on everything.. They really sounded neutered almost..Again I really think there is something screwy with my AVR that seems to cut signal to the subs. It was VERY apparent when I said it was like the S36's came to life , and also very apparent when it seems like im not getting 100% out of them..Im going to unplug everything from the AVR and the AVR itself and start over...I want that sound back!
Thats why there is blind testing because we tend to listen with our eyes until we get use to looking at the new toys, then our ears take over..since its a shiny new toy its got to be better right? That is why I waited a while before I gave my impressions on the V1801. Honestly when I first read your impressions between the two, I was instantly thinking " I wonder if he will feel the same in a week". Been there done that!!

Anywho, I hope you find what you are looking for!
jamiebosco likes this.
post #37057 of 37551 Old 09-21-2017, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 6573
Quote:
No where near as good... I had the 3601 next to couch but I felt it was too far from mains and didn’t blend in. 2 subs would solve it

I think its your room as previously mentioned. When I added the V1801 it netted me another couple hz extension. I was pretty close to reference capable in the 12-13hz. However I did not notice much of a difference compared to being reference capable to 16hz. I would say if you added another, you would have all the bass you need.
ahblaza likes this.
post #37058 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I think its your room as previously mentioned. When I added the V1801 it netted me another couple hz extension. I was pretty close to reference capable in the 12-13hz. However I did not notice much of a difference compared to being reference capable to 16hz. I would say if you added another, you would have all the bass you need.

I think you are right!

post #37059 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Now that I think about it I noticed the same thing with my old Onkyo 818 receiver. Sometimes after a new calibration or a simple power cycle, everything would sound great and I mean great but as time went by the subs would sound underwhelming. I moved on to a Marantz receiver last May and now my subs sound great every time I turn them on.
This is similar but a little bit different , its usually when hooking up new subs I have an issue...Very odd..They will sound just dead for a day or so...Either way it fixed itself last night!!! As far as ive noticed the sound doesnt diminish once it gets its act together...

Quote:
Thats why there is blind testing because we tend to listen with our eyes until we get use to looking at the new toys, then our ears take over..since its a shiny new toy its got to be better right? That is why I waited a while before I gave my impressions on the V1801. Honestly when I first read your impressions between the two, I was instantly thinking " I wonder if he will feel the same in a week". Been there done that!!

I turned on some music right when I got home with the V18's hooked up and immediately heard what I was missing and knew I was good...Its almost like the AVR clips the signal to the LFE when something new happens to it , and it takes a few days to re-calibrate itself per se'...I dunno , hard to believe or explain lol...I listened to about an hour or more of music with the V18's playing various songs and was just itching to hook up the S36's so I finally did..And Voila' what I heard previously was back!
I replayed all the songs I had just played and the S36's just outdid the V18's in my book! I re-watched the ending fight of Deadpool with both the V18's and S36's , which was the scene that caused me to know something was up because I was getting no low end and led me to hooking up the V18's again. I was getting things with the V18's that I didnt hear the night before which was a good thing and pretty much relieving , but when it was the S36's turn , they turned it up another notch and I felt everything that I expected to feel. Especially during Superhero Drop lol. They really provide a much fuller sound that takes up the whole room that I dont know if 2 V1801's can do , maybe 3 can. Im not sure.
Im glad the sound is back and my previous thoughts still stand , even after going directly V18 vs S36... They just sound that much better to me! And scared the crap out of me also!! We watched Now You See Me 2 last night and the scene when they throw the dude in the chest and dump him in the water. There is some sort of rolling bass note that also made my couch feel like it was rolling , and living in SoCal with all these recent earthquakes really made me pause for a moment! Who says you cant get TR from sealed ... Its jussssttttt about time for a signature change , now that I've heard the 2 directly compared , I dont think I can go back!
Mike Butny likes this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
post #37060 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:
Quote:
Now that I think about it I noticed the same thing with my old Onkyo 818 receiver. Sometimes after a new calibration or a simple power cycle, everything would sound great and I mean great but as time went by the subs would sound underwhelming. I moved on to a Marantz receiver last May and now my subs sound great every time I turn them on.
This is similar but a little bit different , its usually when hooking up new subs I have an issue...Very odd..They will sound just dead for a day or so...Either way it fixed itself last night!!! As far as ive noticed the sound doesnt diminish once it gets its act together...

Quote:

I turned on some music right when I got home with the V18's hooked up and immediately heard what I was missing and knew I was good...Its almost like the AVR clips the signal to the LFE when something new happens to it , and it takes a few days to re-calibrate itself per se'...I dunno , hard to believe or explain lol...I listened to about an hour or more of music with the V18's playing various songs and was just itching to hook up the S36's so I finally did..And Voila' what I heard previously was back!
I replayed all the songs I had just played and the S36's just outdid the V18's in my book! I re-watched the ending fight of Deadpool with both the V18's and S36's , which was the scene that caused me to know something was up because I was getting no low end and led me to hooking up the V18's again. I was getting things with the V18's that I didnt hear the night before which was a good thing and pretty much relieving , but when it was the S36's turn , they turned it up another notch and I felt everything that I expected to feel. Especially during Superhero Drop lol. They really provide a much fuller sound that takes up the whole room that I dont know if 2 V1801's can do , maybe 3 can. Im not sure.
Im glad the sound is back and my previous thoughts still stand , even after going directly V18 vs S36... They just sound that much better to me! And scared the crap out of me also!! We watched Now You See Me 2 last night and the scene when they throw the dude in the chest and dump him in the water. There is some sort of rolling bass note that also made my couch feel like it was rolling , and living in SoCal with all these recent earthquakes really made me pause for a moment! Who says you cant get TR from sealed ... Its jussssttttt about time for a signature change , now that I've heard the 2 directly compared , I dont think I can go back!
I would like to officially welcome you to the sealed side. Can you give us a detailed review of both? Did they sound the same with music and movies? What separated them besides output? Could you tell the difference between sealed and ported? I think this type of review would be a great read and would be very useful for future PSA customers.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 09-22-2017 at 02:55 PM.
post #37061 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@Pulloutchamp I think the room is too large now to consider sealed without dropping some serious $$ on S7201s or several S3601s.

If anything, I would consider adding another V1801 right behind the MLP and they should give you more than enough of everything.
The room is larger and most of the things I had read previously would say ported over sealed...Granted , dollar for dollar ported will probably always win and maybe thats where sealed gets shunned in large rooms?

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #37062 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 5135 Post(s)
Liked: 3833
Quote:
Close mic meaning? I’m sorry I have to google that

Measure with the mic a few inches in front of the subwoofer driver's dust cap. This takes the room out of the equation.
David Charles likes this.
post #37063 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I like to officially welcome you to the sealed side. Can you give us a detailed review of both? Did they sound the same with music and movies? What seperated them besides output? Could you tell the difference between sealed and ported? I think this type of review would be a great read and would be very useful for future PSA customers.
Detailed? No lol.Layman's terms , possibly.
First thing I guess would be room size.I'm roughly 30x30x8 (maybe a little less) on concrete slab , open concept , but im tucked in a 12x30 corner that is flanked by a fireplace. Whether that helps or not , I am not sure but I think both the V18 and S36 could fill the whole room even if placed in the center they are both that good.
I had the V18's in my original 17x17 room and they filled it nicely and with ease. The TR just made the couches buzz like crazy! When we remodeled , the new layout almost doubled the room size along with opening everything up , which I thought would stress the V18's out as I had seen in an extremely large area at a GTG. Nope! They handled it well and I shouldnt have even thought about adding anything new , but to spite my GF about a pool table disagreement , I ordered a pair of V36's after too many lunch beers one Friday.
When I sobered up and gathered the courage to show her what I ordered , she about freaked out because of the overall dimensions and brought up a really valid point "DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU NEED MORE?" Which even in my head I knew I didnt , but I thought "I dont need more , but could I get better?" Spoke to Tom and a week later the S36's arrived.
Size difference wasnt a whole lot different from the V18 , just a bit deeper and heavier. At first I didnt see too many differences in sound from 1 V18 compared to 1 S36 both hooked up and alternating power , a real half-assed way of comparing but thats kinda my MO. I hooked up both S36's and still didnt see a whole lot of difference , at least not $1500 worth of difference. As I have come to learn , my AVR is a bit quirky and likes to test my patience.
Fast forward a day , and a new attitude by my AVR , I was given full power of the S36's and could immediately tell a difference! I listen to a variety of music , mainly hanging out in the electronic and hip-hop genre's and jumping in and out of everything else. There are a couple songs that I am pretty familiar with that I like to jump to that give me an idea of whats going on.
One is a song "Humble" by Kendrick Lamar and Big Sean "I dont F with you" along with a variety of others. The biggest thing I noticed between the 2 was pretty much the volume of the sub. The midbass on the V18 is strong and it is definitely louder to the point that I think the neighbors across the street could "Hear" it. The S36's just have a much deeper almost darker tone to them , like impending doom , that you dont so much hear but just feel. I think the neighbors could probably feel them. They provide a pressure bubble in the room to the point that it feels like you could pop it with a needle.
I think that is one thing that appeals more to me than loud mid-bass , is the air-sucking pressure. My dad commented to my mom when he left that he thought his heart rhythm changed after hearing a couple demos lol. With the strong mid-bass of the V series , I pictured myself being thrown across the room like Marty McFly , just in your face bass!! The S36's leave you in your place and seem to suck the walls in and out around you. Maybe the V36's do to , I dont know and dont want to know lol!!
The TR between the 2 is different , at least from what I can tell at the moment. I mentioned the buzzing of the couch earlier in my smaller room and I still do get that a bit from the V18's in our larger area. The S36's dont give off as much buzz but more like rolling waves. Quite scary if you live in an earthquake prone area as I experienced last night! The V18's may be able to replicate that sensation , I just dont know if they would be able to with that amount of authority! As it seems at the moment , the V18's give alot of ripples and S36's give fewer ripples with bigger waves.
Overall , the S36's just blew me away with their endless headroom and deep extension and most of all clarity! I dont think I was even close to the limits of the V18's , but I dont know if they could get that deep low pressurization that I think I was really looking for. In my opinion the S36's just give me an all around better fuller sound. They can definitely fill a large room and give a ported sub a run for its money. Granted its going to take more money and subs for a sealed to keep up so there always that trade off. But for the sake of this comparison 2 V1801's vs 2 S36's , Im taking the S36's!
Alan P, Mike Butny and Hopinater like this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #37064 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
I bet if Tom shipped out complimentary cases of beer with every order they would likely triple their sales
Mike Butny and Pulloutchamp like this.
post #37065 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Detailed? No lol.Layman's terms , possibly.
First thing I guess would be room size.I'm roughly 30x30x8 (maybe a little less) on concrete slab , open concept , but im tucked in a 12x30 corner that is flanked by a fireplace. Whether that helps or not , I am not sure but I think both the V18 and S36 could fill the whole room even if placed in the center they are both that good.
I had the V18's in my original 17x17 room and they filled it nicely and with ease. The TR just made the couches buzz like crazy! When we remodeled , the new layout almost doubled the room size along with opening everything up , which I thought would stress the V18's out as I had seen in an extremely large area at a GTG. Nope! They handled it well and I shouldnt have even thought about adding anything new , but to spite my GF about a pool table disagreement , I ordered a pair of V36's after too many lunch beers one Friday.
When I sobered up and gathered the courage to show her what I ordered , she about freaked out because of the overall dimensions and brought up a really valid point "DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU NEED MORE?" Which even in my head I knew I didnt , but I thought "I dont need more , but could I get better?" Spoke to Tom and a week later the S36's arrived.
Size difference wasnt a whole lot different from the V18 , just a bit deeper and heavier. At first I didnt see too many differences in sound from 1 V18 compared to 1 S36 both hooked up and alternating power , a real half-assed way of comparing but thats kinda my MO. I hooked up both S36's and still didnt see a whole lot of difference , at least not $1500 worth of difference. As I have come to learn , my AVR is a bit quirky and likes to test my patience.
Fast forward a day , and a new attitude by my AVR , I was given full power of the S36's and could immediately tell a difference! I listen to a variety of music , mainly hanging out in the electronic and hip-hop genre's and jumping in and out of everything else. There are a couple songs that I am pretty familiar with that I like to jump to that give me an idea of whats going on.
One is a song "Humble" by Kendrick Lamar and Big Sean "I dont F with you" along with a variety of others. The biggest thing I noticed between the 2 was pretty much the volume of the sub. The midbass on the V18 is strong and it is definitely louder to the point that I think the neighbors across the street could "Hear" it. The S36's just have a much deeper almost darker tone to them , like impending doom , that you dont so much hear but just feel. I think the neighbors could probably feel them. They provide a pressure bubble in the room to the point that it feels like you could pop it with a needle.
I think that is one thing that appeals more to me than loud mid-bass , is the air-sucking pressure. My dad commented to my mom when he left that he thought his heart rhythm changed after hearing a couple demos lol. With the strong mid-bass of the V series , I pictured myself being thrown across the room like Marty McFly , just in your face bass!! The S36's leave you in your place and seem to suck the walls in and out around you. Maybe the V36's do to , I dont know and dont want to know lol!!
The TR between the 2 is different , at least from what I can tell at the moment. I mentioned the buzzing of the couch earlier in my smaller room and I still do get that a bit from the V18's in our larger area. The S36's dont give off as much buzz but more like rolling waves. Quite scary if you live in an earthquake prone area as I experienced last night! The V18's may be able to replicate that sensation , I just dont know if they would be able to with that amount of authority! As it seems at the moment , the V18's give alot of ripples and S36's give fewer ripples with bigger waves.
Overall , the S36's just blew me away with their endless headroom and deep extension and most of all clarity! I dont think I was even close to the limits of the V18's , but I dont know if they could get that deep low pressurization that I think I was really looking for. In my opinion the S36's just give me an all around better fuller sound. They can definitely fill a large room and give a ported sub a run for its money. Granted its going to take more money and subs for a sealed to keep up so there always that trade off. But for the sake of this comparison 2 V1801's vs 2 S36's , Im taking the S36's!

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review. I highly recommend trying the plywood platform experiment since you are on concrete. The plywood effect will give you more couch vibration. I find the difference quite amazing as those scenes with cars passing or other non-high octane scenes are now felt. It's not going to make a night and day difference in those huge outrageous scenes, it will help but what the plywood platform does and does very well is, it provides more vibration/tactile sensation in the other 90% of scenes. I'm sure once you try it you will never go back. Congrats on dual S3601's.
Pulloutchamp likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
post #37066 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time and writing a review. I highly recommend trying the plywood platform experiment since you are on concrete. The plywood effect will give you more couch vibration. I find the difference quite amazing as those scenes with cars passing or other non-high octane scenes are now felt. It's not going to make a night and day difference in those huge outrageous scenes, it will help but what the plywood platform does and does very well is, it provides more vibration/tactile sensation in the other 90% of scenes. I'm sure once you try it you will never go back. Congrats on dual S3601's.
I will have to fall back and take a look at that section. I remember you guys talking about it , but I really didnt pay much attention to it as I was in the middle of tearing down my house!
Mike Butny likes this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #37067 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will have to fall back and take a look at that section. I remember you guys talking about it , but I really didnt pay much attention to it as I was in the middle of tearing down my house!
It's very simple, you just add 1/2"-whatever the desired amount of thickness ( I'm using 3/4 inch) of plywood under the couch and you isolate the plywood with https://thebuttkicker.com/kinetic-isolator-rdb-120/ or https://www.lowes.com/pd/Waxman-4-Pa...ippers/3091005 from the concrete. You can basically use anything that has some amount of give/cushion to it, you want to avoid a hard material product. Depending on the size/shape of your couch you can have this installed in minutes.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 09-22-2017 at 02:52 PM.
post #37068 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's very simple, you just add 1/2"-whatever the desired amount of thickness ( I'm using 3/4 inch) of plywood under the couch and you isolate the plywood with https://thebuttkicker.com/kinetic-isolator-rdb-120/ or https://www.lowes.com/pd/Waxman-4-Pa...ippers/3091005 from the concrete. You can basically use anything that has some amount of give/cushion to it, you want to avoid a hard material product. Depending on the size/shape of your couch you can have this installed in minutes.
Hmmm , I do need to add some sliders onto the couch anyway...

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #37069 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmmm , I do need to add some sliders onto the couch anyway...
You would want to use the grippers. The sliders are more of a sponge material. My end seats recline and I didn't want the couch to slide off the plywood so I attached thin strips of wood on top of the plywood in front and back of the bottom frame of the couch to keep it from sliding off. I also kept the dimensions of the plywood smaller than the body of the couch so it doesn't stick out from the bottom. It's just slightly larger than the bottom frame. Procedure: The couch rests on the plywood and the plywood sits on top of the isolation pads.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 09-22-2017 at 03:12 PM.
post #37070 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You would want to use the grippers. The sliders are more of a sponge material. My end seats recline and I didn't want the couch to slide off the plywood so I attached thin strips of wood on top of the plywood in front and back of the bottom frame of the couch to keep it from sliding off. I also kept the dimensions of the plywood smaller than the body of the couch so it doesn't stick out from the bottom. It's just slightly larger than the bottom frame. Procedure: The couch rests on the plywood and the plywood sits on top of the isolation pads.
Oh damn...Ill probably just throw a square of plywood under the feet lol....I dont get too involved with things , hence LAZY.... I like to tell people where to build things , I dont actually like building them...Surveyor Life....Well im outta here , everyone enjoy their systems and weekends!!!

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
post #37071 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh damn...Ill probably just throw a square of plywood under the feet lol....I dont get too involved with things , hence LAZY.... I like to tell people where to build things , I dont actually like building them...Surveyor Life....Well im outta here , everyone enjoy their systems and weekends!!!
You could try that but if you want the full effect you would need to add a sheet under the entire couch. The more surface area there is to excite the more vibration/tactile sensation you will feel.
Pulloutchamp likes this.

post #37072 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Hop inater, can you please repost the picture of your plywood and isolation pads for @Pulloutchamp to see, thanks.

Last edited by Mike Butny; 09-22-2017 at 04:36 PM.
post #37073 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Hop inater, can you please repost the picture of your plywood and isolation pads for @Pulloutchamp to see, thanks.
As you requested.

I used 1/2 inch plywood. I have removed a couple of the isolation pads that you see in the photos but having more or less isolation pads didn't seem to effect the TR too much either way.

Note... The electrical box and cord go to the powered recliner of the couch (in case you are thinking I have Transducers).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1185.JPG (80.9 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1186.JPG (58.9 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1187.JPG (49.9 KB, 101 views)
Mike Butny likes this.

Last edited by Hopinater; 09-22-2017 at 05:36 PM.
post #37074 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
As you requested.

I used 1/2 inch plywood. I have removed a couple of the isolation pads that you see in the photos but having more or less isolation pads didn't seem to effect the TR too much either way.

Note... The electrical box and cord go to the powered recliner of the couch (in case you are thinking I have Transducers).
Thanks, Hop. Hey if you get a chance check out Ozark on Netflix http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5071412/, it's entertaining.
Hopinater likes this.

post #37075 of 37551 Old 09-22-2017, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Thanks, Hop. Hey if you get a chance check out Ozark on Netflix http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5071412/, it's entertaining.
+1 to Ozark. Well written, acted, paced, etc., checks all the boxes for an intense drug cartel/antihero story.
Mike Butny and Hopinater like this.

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1801 x2 & V1800 x2, B1200D x2
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2
Processing/EQ: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP
post #37076 of 37551 Old 09-23-2017, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As you requested.

LOL... This is a bad sign, I'm starting to quote myself.

Actually I just wanted to add (for anyone considering it) that this whole project took less than an hour to do and cost less than $70. The bonus is I'm now set up for adding Crowsons which I hope to do soon. That however won't be cheap.
Mike Butny and Sekosche like this.

post #37077 of 37551 Old 09-23-2017, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
LOL... This is a bad sign, I'm starting to quote myself.

Actually I just wanted to add (for anyone considering it) that this whole project took less than an hour to do and cost less than $70. The bonus is I'm now set up for adding Crowsons which I hope to do soon. That however won't be cheap.
If you're not able to use some existing couch fame holes (or don't want to drill holes into metal) to bolt the plywood on, you can easily drill a couple small holes in the plywood on both sides of the frame rail and thread zip ties around a handful of areas to help secure it.

I wouldn't recommend running transducers with just the weight of the couch keeping it from sliding off the plywood...too many moving parts and Crowsons are intense! However, this is just a guess, and your setup might work brilliantly without any further modifications.

Edit: I'd also add felt sliders under all your isolation feet on hard floors, but this is more to help add some height to them, as the Crowson is I believe almost a full 0.125-0.25" thicker than the BK isolation feet, and that's before they squish down some, so the only other variable to get right is the height of everything, but you can play around with that.
Hopinater likes this.

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1801 x2 & V1800 x2, B1200D x2
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2
Processing/EQ: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP

Last edited by Sekosche; 09-23-2017 at 12:19 PM.
post #37078 of 37551 Old 09-23-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Just thought I'd comment on the 15V I've had for almost two months now. I rented Finding Nemo from my local library to test out a few scenes everyone keeps talking about, more specifically the Darla and fish tank scene. I fast forwarded right before the scene, had the MV set at -20db and I almost jumped out of my seat as I was NOT expecting that type of bass coming my way. I instantly turned it down within a matter of seconds, and next thing I hear is the basement door opening with the sound of my wife saying, "What just happened?!?!? It felt like an earthquake was happening inside the house!" I couldn't help but laugh in response. Absolutely love my 15V.
vardo, ahblaza, tomnan24 and 7 others like this.
post #37079 of 37551 Old 09-23-2017, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Just thought I'd comment on the 15V I've had for almost two months now. I rented Finding Nemo from my local library to test out a few scenes everyone keeps talking about, more specifically the Darla and fish tank scene. I fast forwarded right before the scene, had the MV set at -20db and I almost jumped out of my seat as I was NOT expecting that type of bass coming my way. I instantly turned it down within a matter of seconds, and next thing I hear is the basement door opening with the sound of my wife saying, "What just happened?!?!? It felt like an earthquake was happening inside the house!" I couldn't help but laugh in response. Absolutely love my 15V.
The 15V is near the top of my list for a reasonably big open room on tile over concrete. Would you mind describing your area that the 15V filled so well? Thanks.

Samsung UN55KS8000
Denon AVR1610
Cherry Energy RC10 mains, RC-LCR center, RCmini surrounds
PA120 Sub(broken,to be replaced)
post #37080 of 37551 Old 09-23-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 6057
Hi all,

Need a favor from denon AVR owners. I need a system check if you have the 4300. If you have a sister model(3300,6300, etc) wouldn't hurt to check too. Heck anything recent from denon/marantz might be worth a look-see if you guys have the time..

Anyway,

Have a source playing a typical DD codec---- blu ray for example.

Press the green sound mode(MOVIE) button on the denon remote and select "dolby digital + dolby surround" option.

NOW---this is the difficult part.

Check to see if the LFE channel is playing as it should. The LFE channel *ONLY*.

Not the redirected bass from yadda, yadda. The LFE channel.

Also, while I have the podium. What "sound mode" is everyone using for their listening? (and why)?

Thanks!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“Quality isn't expensive, it is priceless" --- fortune cookie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page