Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 1238 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32270Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #37111 of 37566 Old 09-24-2017, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
First off... I like your movie posters. Where did you get them? I have a couple LOTR and Pirates of the Caribbean posters but I'm always looking for more movie posters.

Second... Sounds like you found some good alternative placements for your subs and I'm glad you got rid of the null for the secondary listening position. But I've come to realize that when company comes over they won't notice whether there's a null or not. If one of us were sitting in that seat we would notice but the average Joe is so in shock at what our subwoofers can do they are just holding on for dear life and hoping to survive through the movie. If there's a null they would never know.

That's what I love about our set ups. They shock and awe people. But I think I have a relative who is a bass junkie. I had my brother in law and his family here for a visit and they all watched Stars Wars the Force Awakens and my 20 year old niece kept muttering: "That bass... it's awesome!" It was pretty cool to have someone who really appreciated what she heard.
Haha! So true! Of recent the only person that loved it was my step dad. I played MMFR for him on the pj and while my mom and sister were telling me to turn it down he was like "this is awesome, it's like the movie theater!" And that was with *only* two subs at the time.
I got all my posters off Amazon and the frames too.
So far I have Deadpool, Oblivion, Christine, Dredd, Ferris Beuller, Gremlins, Jaws, Ghostbusters and Kick Ass. Plus a lot of autographed Walking Dead pics in my bar room.
Mike Butny and Hopinater like this.
subacabra is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #37112 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pulloutchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gob Bluth View Post
I just watched the helicopter scene from Terminator Genisys back to back first in DTS Neural then switched to Dolby surround and the LFE was the same on both. This is using a Denon X3300W.

However... When I first hooked up my V1500 the LFE signal was absolutely neutered using Dolby surround. Like the V1500 could barely match the output of my 20 year old 12" velodyne. After reconnecting every cable a few times what finally resolved my issue was changing from Dolby surround to DTS Neural. Huge difference - it's like changing to DTS "unlocked" the LFE channel and the 15" came to life after days of troubleshooting.

After that, LFE started working in all listening modes. I have stuck to DTS Neural for the last month just because of the initial problem I had. Although as I type this, Terminator Genisys is still playing in Dolby surround and the LFE channel is every bit as loud as I'm used to with DTS.

I'm planning on adding another V1500 or V3601 around the end of October. Kind of a toss up between putting a V3601 in the corner and using 1-2 V1500s nearfield or just getting 4 15s similar to subacabra. Either way, more business headed for your way in a month.
I think I have the exact same problem with my onkyo when I hook up subs or power goes out...After a day or so of fiddling around , the subs come back to life! I think I mentioned that to you when you were originally saying your sub sounded dead..It happened to the S36's the other day when the circuit popped..
Gob Bluth likes this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Pulloutchamp is offline  
post #37113 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,456
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
I think I have the exact same problem with my onkyo when I hook up subs or power goes out...After a day or so of fiddling around , the subs come back to life! I think I mentioned that to you when you were originally saying your sub sounded dead..It happened to the S36's the other day when the circuit popped..
What happens if you unplug the power from both the AVR and the subwoofer(s) for 30 seconds then plug them back in? Do you get the same anomaly with weak bass?

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
 
post #37114 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Pulloutchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
What happens if you unplug the power from both the AVR and the subwoofer(s) for 30 seconds then plug them back in? Do you get the same anomaly with weak bass?
I am not really sure..It might be OK..I noticed it when I was going thru subs like crazy and I was a bit new to all this. I remember plugging in the RCA cable and get a loud buzzing noise and then just poor performance from the new subs for a day or so..I really made sure to hit the power switch on EVERYTHING and then unplug everything , and re-plug and then hit the power switches before powering on the AVR..From the V15's to the 1801's , I didnt have a problem because I was systematic about it. When I went from the PC12's to the V15's , the V15's sounded terrible for a day or two to the point of what the hell did I waste money on!!?? I think the same thing happened with I got the S36's , because I was plugging in and unplugging , powering on and off , and I think thats why I had the S36 epiphany a day or so later..The first day , they really did sound just about the same! When the circuit popped the night of the fight , I think it gave me the same issue , and I noticed it almost immediately because I usually get great TR on my toilet. Although really took me a couple of days to say something is up and I hooked up the V18's..The next day everything was back to normal and will stay that way until I start screwing with subs again...I dont know , AVR Voodoo I guess...

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Pulloutchamp is offline  
post #37115 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,456
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
... I noticed it almost immediately because I usually get great TR on my toilet.
The key to good TR on the toilet is fiber. LOL

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #37116 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
Pulloutchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
The key to good TR on the toilet is fiber. LOL
Mike Butny likes this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Pulloutchamp is offline  
post #37117 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 PM
Member
 
Jamie Pawlikowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My XS30 B stock just shipped. Really excited to get this guy plugged in and going


Jamie
Jamie Pawlikowski is offline  
post #37118 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
@climber07 , here's some pics of my room with t he 7201, excuse the disarray, I've been moving furniture, sub, equipment rack and MLP to accommodate the 72, very sloppy looking now. Sorry again about non PSA speakers. Also have some new graphs I took with the sub in the opposite corner, have one spot left behind the MLP on it's side, it's going slow and happy I got at least this much done. Haven't really listened much at all yet though, a quick demo for about five minutes and the missus said it has to go, she came running down from upstairs. I really need to start evaluating this thing in the next weeks to come.





OTHER CORNER



FROM BACK OF ROOM, ABOUT 10' from MLP LAST PLACEMENT OPTION BEHIND COUCH NON IT'S SIDE


http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1506382103

Bunch of measurements with Center + Sub all around the MLP



Average of about 12-15 graphs.......



Next up listening impressions when I get time.

Cheers Jeffrey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7201 008.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	790.3 KB
ID:	2288202   Click image for larger version

Name:	7201 004.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	939.1 KB
ID:	2288204   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	654.3 KB
ID:	2288206   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2288208   Click image for larger version

Name:	ALL C+ SUB 80 Hz XO 5dB new.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2288210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVERAGE C+ SUB 80 Hz XO new.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	2288212  
ahblaza is offline  
post #37119 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 859
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
I think you meant to say your wife said "you need another one for symmetry!"

Bet that sounds great, and bet those lcr's kick butt!!
ahblaza, Hopinater and Pradeep2 like this.
subacabra is offline  
post #37120 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,456
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pawlikowski View Post
My XS30 B stock just shipped. Really excited to get this guy plugged in and going


Jamie
Queue the cheesy Italian accent... Yous a gonna lika da XS30.

Congrats man. Can't wait to hear the impressions after you get it set up. Let us know if you have any questions.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #37121 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM
Member
 
Jamie Pawlikowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Queue the cheesy Italian accent... Yous a gonna lika da XS30.

Congrats man. Can't wait to hear the impressions after you get it set up. Let us know if you have any questions.
Ha! Thanks much. Really excited. This is my first "real" setup, have done the HTiB thing many years ago. Have combed these message boards since probably 2009 and kept up with this thread and a few others fairly regularly. Now that I have a real dedicated room decided to make the jump. I did however pair these with Klipsch Reference Premier speakers (which I am now regretting a bit). Probably will phase those out over the next year in pairs in favor of some more high end speakers. First to get this setup! Almost went with two but my room is only about 2000 cubit feet. We shall see!

Best,
Jamie
sk373 likes this.
Jamie Pawlikowski is offline  
post #37122 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,456
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@climber07 , here's some pics of my room with t he 7201, excuse the disarray, I've been moving furniture, sub, equipment rack and MLP to accommodate the 72, very sloppy looking now. Sorry again about non PSA speakers. Also have some new graphs I took with the sub in the opposite corner, have one spot left behind the MLP on it's side, it's going slow and happy I got at least this much done. Haven't really listened much at all yet though, a quick demo for about five minutes and the missus said it has to go, she came running down from upstairs. I really need to start evaluating this thing in the next weeks to come.

Bunch of measurements with Center + Sub all around the MLP



Next up listening impressions when I get time.

Cheers Jeffrey
Man those graphs are so flat they're disgusting!!! That is the flattest graph I think I've ever seen. Probably has something to do with all of the headroom and the S7201's ability to produce 6 Hz at over 100 dB.

You should try crossing the speakers at 100 Hz and let the S7201 do its thing.

Power Sound Audio S7201 Quad 18" 4000W Sealed Subwoofer - Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Epson 5030UB Projector - Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - - XBox One S - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #37123 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 5,357
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 5890
HAS TO GO!??? IMO when a wife comes running into a room saying that the subwoofer has to go that's when you know for sure that the subwoofer is AWESOME! And therefore it must stay.

So your wife was okay with three V1801's but not with one S7201? Hmmmm.. this S7201 is quite the beast.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203
Denon X4200 - Panamax M4300 - Apple TV - Xbox360 - Crowson Motion Actuator's
Hopinater is offline  
post #37124 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 5,357
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 5890
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Man those graphs are so flat they're disgusting!!! That is the flattest graph I think I've ever seen. Probably has something to do with all of the headroom and the S7201's ability to produce 6 Hz at over 100 dB.

You should try crossing the speakers at 100 Hz and let the S7201 do its thing.
Apparently Jeff has a really good room because his graph with three V1801's was even a little flatter. You're right, it's disgusting... Jeff has an awesome graph and he hasn't even started trying yet.
Mike Butny and basshead81 like this.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203
Denon X4200 - Panamax M4300 - Apple TV - Xbox360 - Crowson Motion Actuator's
Hopinater is offline  
post #37125 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 5,357
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked: 5890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pawlikowski View Post
My XS30 B stock just shipped. Really excited to get this guy plugged in and going


Jamie
Congrats and welcome to the world of PSA subwoofers. It's a lot of fun. Enjoy your new sub.
Jamie Pawlikowski likes this.

Subwoofers: dual PSA V3601's with a PSA XV15se nearfield
Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203
Denon X4200 - Panamax M4300 - Apple TV - Xbox360 - Crowson Motion Actuator's
Hopinater is offline  
post #37126 of 37566 Old 09-25-2017, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,004
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
HAS TO GO!??? IMO when a wife comes running into a room saying that the subwoofer has to go that's when you know for sure that the subwoofer is AWESOME! And therefore it must stay.

So your wife was okay with three V1801's but not with one S7201? Hmmmm.. this S7201 is quite the beast.
That is pretty crazy the three V1801's didn't elicit a similar response, but he possibly didn't drive them as hard in the short time they were set up. Or maybe with the formidable S7201 lurking in the corner, @ahblaza spouse is finally starting to fear for her safety, lol. I dig those bamboo veneered speakers.

I've been listening to movies a few decibels louder lately for added TR, and it makes a huge difference hitting peaks of 118-120dB...that's until you hear something shatter while watching World War Z earlier today at reference and have to do the house crawl to search for a broken decorative item, hide the shards in the trash, and hope it will be a while before she notices.

Power Sound Audio

Speakers: PSA (MT-110 x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2); SVS Satellite x4
Subs: PSA V1801 x2 & V1800 x2, B1200D x2
Actuators: Crowson Tech Shadow-8 x2
Processing/EQ: Denon X4200, MiniDSP HD x2, NU6000DSP
Sekosche is online now  
post #37127 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 03:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nalleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
-------------------

Here is an example disc. World War Z.

First, reset your bass management so the sub(s) are only going to get the LFE channel. (mains to large / unfiltered)

1)Don't use the default DTS track(because if you do, you cannot seletc Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround in the Denon menu).

2)Use say, the French DD track on the Blu-Ray(select-able within the BR player menu)

3)FF to the beginning traffic jam scene right after the mirror is broken and Brad Pitt gets out. That first explosion in the distance. Replay that a few times(In the DD French). And try a few different listening modes in the Denon. Does the *** Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround *** mode mute the bass?

If yes, there's something wrong. If not, I'm taking crazy pills.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tested this today.

First of all, why are you listening to the lossy DD track, when blurays have lossless track?
Secondly maybe not normal to have fronts as large?

Anyway, i reset my fronts to large, and played the french DD track, and could not hear any difference between plain DD 5.1, or using any of the upmixers DSU or Neural:X or Auromatic. I have a Denon 7200WA.

And sure you can use DSU on a DTS track. That was fixed ages ago.

Triple Atmos Receivers
Atmos 13.1.8/DTS:X 9.1.8/AURO 3D 12.1

My setup:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wha...l#post41323201
Nalleh is offline  
post #37128 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pulloutchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pawlikowski View Post
Ha! Thanks much. Really excited. This is my first "real" setup, have done the HTiB thing many years ago. Have combed these message boards since probably 2009 and kept up with this thread and a few others fairly regularly. Now that I have a real dedicated room decided to make the jump. I did however pair these with Klipsch Reference Premier speakers (which I am now regretting a bit). Probably will phase those out over the next year in pairs in favor of some more high end speakers. First to get this setup! Almost went with two but my room is only about 2000 cubit feet. We shall see!

Best,
Jamie
What arent you liking about the Klipsch RP's paired with the PSA? Just curious as I and actually quite a few others on here have the RP280's paired with various PSA subs. They are about the only thing I havent changed in my setup.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Pulloutchamp is offline  
post #37129 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,696
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 6057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Tested this today.

First of all, why are you listening to the lossy DD track, when blurays have lossless track?
Secondly maybe not normal to have fronts as large?

Anyway, i reset my fronts to large, and played the french DD track, and could not hear any difference between plain DD 5.1, or using any of the upmixers DSU or Neural:X or Auromatic. I have a Denon 7200WA.

And sure you can use DSU on a DTS track. That was fixed ages ago.
You skipped/missed my original post on this topic which would explain all of the above.

1) I'm trying to isolate the LFE channel and test the signal flow with one specific listening mode--- Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround.

2) Since most don't have access to test equipment/ LFE specific source tones I suggested a work around would be to reset the mains to "large" as this would (in most cases) eliminate anything going to the sub except the LFE signal.

3) I never said you cannot use DSU on a DTS track. That isn't what I'm trying to isolate. The issue I'm having is limited only(AFAIK) to the sound mode " DOLBY DIGITAL + DOLBY SURROUND SOUND "

Anyway, I do appreciate the feedback.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

“Quality isn't expensive, it is priceless" --- fortune cookie
Tom Vodhanel is offline  
post #37130 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Member
 
Jamie Pawlikowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
What arent you liking about the Klipsch RP's paired with the PSA? Just curious as I and actually quite a few others on here have the RP280's paired with various PSA subs. They are about the only thing I havent changed in my setup.
Actually don't have them plugged in yet as a full share. Have only plugged 280FAs in independently and they certainly rock hard. Really more concerned about 450c as center and potentially extreme levels of bass I've heard out of the 280s. Maybe crossover will help dampen bass in towers?
My setup
280FA X2
450c
RP250S X2
RP160M X2
PSA SUB.

hoping for a good blend of bass and vocals. No music for this setup. Net is I am concerned that speakers won't be as quality as I would like. We will see.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pulloutchamp likes this.
Jamie Pawlikowski is offline  
post #37131 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Nalleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 1,529
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
You skipped/missed my original post on this topic which would explain all of the above.

1) I'm trying to isolate the LFE channel and test the signal flow with one specific listening mode--- Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround.

2) Since most don't have access to test equipment/ LFE specific source tones I suggested a work around would be to reset the mains to "large" as this would (in most cases) eliminate anything going to the sub except the LFE signal.

3) I never said you cannot use DSU on a DTS track. That isn't what I'm trying to isolate. The issue I'm having is limited only(AFAIK) to the sound mode " DOLBY DIGITAL + DOLBY SURROUND SOUND "

Anyway, I do appreciate the feedback.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Well, as i said: i did the above, and altough i did not isolate to just the LFE track, i have Crowson motion actuators under my couch, and can very easy hear/feel if the LFE is reduced. And i could not hear any difference between DD+DSU and the other modes.

Triple Atmos Receivers
Atmos 13.1.8/DTS:X 9.1.8/AURO 3D 12.1

My setup:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wha...l#post41323201

Last edited by Nalleh; 09-26-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Nalleh is offline  
post #37132 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pulloutchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pawlikowski View Post
Actually don't have them plugged in yet as a full share. Have only plugged 280FAs in independently and they certainly rock hard. Really more concerned about 450c as center and potentially extreme levels of bass I've heard out of the 280s. Maybe crossover will help dampen bass in towers?
My setup
280FA X2
450c
RP250S X2
RP160M X2
PSA SUB.

hoping for a good blend of bass and vocals. No music for this setup. Net is I am concerned that speakers won't be as quality as I would like. We will see.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Oh I see...I wouldnt be to worried , they blend in quite well! I have the small center and get plenty of vocals out of it , and same with the 280's. I had 2 V1801s and now currently run 2 S3601's and they have no problem keeping up. Others have them mixed with V3601's. 80hz X-over seems to work well for me.
Gob Bluth likes this.

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Pulloutchamp is offline  
post #37133 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 10:56 AM
Member
 
Jamie Pawlikowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulloutchamp View Post
Oh I see...I wouldnt be to worried , they blend in quite well! I have the small center and get plenty of vocals out of it , and same with the 280's. I had 2 V1801s and now currently run 2 S3601's and they have no problem keeping up. Others have them mixed with V3601's. 80hz X-over seems to work well for me.
Thanks for the insights. That's what I had planned for my crossover setting as well. Will definitely post here once I'm all setup and have some impressions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pulloutchamp likes this.
Jamie Pawlikowski is offline  
post #37134 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Pulloutchamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pawlikowski View Post
Thanks for the insights. That's what I had planned for my crossover setting as well. Will definitely post here once I'm all setup and have some impressions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
You should be more than happy! Welcome to Outside the HTIB!

Sharp Aquos Q+ 70" UQ
Onkyo Tx-nr646
Klipsch RP-280F (F/R towers) RP-250C (Center)
Polk Towers (rear surround)
SVS Elevations (Front Height)
2 PSA V1801 1 PSA V1500 Xbox1
Pulloutchamp is offline  
post #37135 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
I'm going to watch a couple movies tonight if I have time, Super Woman and new Transformer movie and see what happens. The little I did listen to the 72 was weird, my seat bottom was rumbling with the WOTW pod scene, that's all I listened to. I forgot what rumble felt and sounded like. My wife said she could see the filament in the light bulbs flickering and dancing around and she thought the bulbs were going to burst a floor above me.

I had the sub about 5 dB hot at MV -12 for that scene. I know the sub can dig deep now I want to listen for all the other things I've come to appreciate with the sound signature of the PSA subs. Like I said I want to put this sub through the ringer, not just with demo scenes and music. I intend to watch a whole movie and listen to one of my favorite albums tonight.

I really hope I can settle for a single sub and the 7200 does everything I expect it will do. I'll be back soon.
ahblaza is offline  
post #37136 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 6,241
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 1555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pawlikowski View Post
Thanks for the insights. That's what I had planned for my crossover setting as well. Will definitely post here once I'm all setup and have some impressions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm running the older RF series with the smaller center (= to the RC52). I've tried everything from mains + LFE to every crossover between 60 and 120. I've settled on 120. It sounds the best at this crossover. Having two subs eliminates any localization that may have been there with just one sub. Even with one sub I rarely noticed any localization.

So, start with 80hz and experiment, you never know until you try.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #37137 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Apparently Jeff has a really good room because his graph with three V1801's was even a little flatter. You're right, it's disgusting... Jeff has an awesome graph and he hasn't even started trying yet.
You're right Jim, I didn't even try to do the sub distance tweak yet, matter of fact I haven't done much of anything except take measurements from two different sub locations and multiple mic positions at the MLP. I really want to like this sub and only having a single is something I really have to get used to. The size is really intimidating, I tried firing it with the cavities aimed at the opposite right corner and got a decent FR but the sub just looked ridiculous oriented that way, looked like I had a black worm hole on the front wall. OK my friend I'll share my impressions soon.
Hopinater likes this.
ahblaza is offline  
post #37138 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
@climber07 , here's some pics of my room with t he 7201, excuse the disarray, I've been moving furniture, sub, equipment rack and MLP to accommodate the 72, very sloppy looking now. Sorry again about non PSA speakers. Also have some new graphs I took with the sub in the opposite corner, have one spot left behind the MLP on it's side, it's going slow and happy I got at least this much done. Haven't really listened much at all yet though, a quick demo for about five minutes and the missus said it has to go, she came running down from upstairs. I really need to start evaluating this thing in the next weeks to come.





OTHER CORNER



FROM BACK OF ROOM, ABOUT 10' from MLP LAST PLACEMENT OPTION BEHIND COUCH NON IT'S SIDE


http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1506382103

Bunch of measurements with Center + Sub all around the MLP



Average of about 12-15 graphs.......



Next up listening impressions when I get time.

Cheers Jeffrey
Very impressive Jeff. Hope things are getting better for you and your family.
ahblaza likes this.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Mike Butny is offline  
post #37139 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mike Butny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Orland Park, Il
Posts: 1,334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

1)the only mode I'm concerned with right now is Dolby Digital + Dolby surround.

We can't use HD audio code for this. So, for example, if you pop in the EoT BR to use the opening sine wave stuff for the test...we have to switch to one of the alternate audio tracks.(french for example). That is the only way(i know of) that we can then select Dolby Digital + Dolby Surround.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom: I'm using an older Marantz SR7009 and I only use the default codec+Dolby Surround. Whats nice about the Marantz SR7009 is if the track is DTS it allows me to use it with Dolby Surround( DSU) as the newer models do not.

Equipment List: Benq W6000, Darbee DVP-5000S Video Processor, JKP Affinity 100 inch 16x9 .9 gain reference screen, Marantz SR7009 Receiver, 3-Marantz Ma700 and 2-Ma6100 mono blocks, 9.2 set-up, B&W Nautilus 805 front speakers, B&W Nautilus HTM2 center speaker, Infinity ( soon to be replaced by B&W ) bookshelf Atmos Speakers, Mirage HDT-R side speakers, Jamo THX surround one rear speakers, PSA S3600I & S3000I subs, Richard Grey, Monster Power, and Panamax powerline conditioning/surge protection.
Mike Butny is offline  
post #37140 of 37566 Old 09-26-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ahblaza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pittsburgh Steeler Country
Posts: 3,246
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butny View Post
Very impressive Jeff. Hope things are getting better for you and your family.
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate the well wishes, seriously my friend. Right now I fell like I'm in the eye of the storm, the calm before the ...............
Mike Butny and Pulloutchamp like this.
ahblaza is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , s7201 , v1500 , V1800 , v1801 , V3600i , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Xs30 , Xv15

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off