Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > Official Power Sound Audio Subwoofer Thread
Luke Kamp's Avatar Luke Kamp 11:55 AM 11-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss1000 View Post

My budget is in the 800-1000 range for a sub. My initial thoughts were the xv15, but just wanted to double check with you guys. If I need to add a second xv15 that would be a possibility next year, however, I'm coming from a small Polk PSW111 (got it super cheap from a friend as a stop-gap until I could afford a real sub), so I'm guessing a single xv15 is going to blow me away.
I am sitting in the middle of the space, and I know this isn't ideal, but it's about the only option in the space. Any recommendations on sub placement?
Thanks for the replies!

Well lots of setup to consider to hopefully get your seats out of the middle of the room. Seating distance from screen.
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

Also consider speaker placement, I prefer equilateral triangle between mains and seat.
If seat cannot be moved closer and having nulls in the middle of room, nearfield placement of subwoofer should be considered to try and minimize rooms detrimental effects. Experimentation is key such as sub crawl...

Good Luck

nicker1987's Avatar nicker1987 12:09 PM 11-05-2012
Walke108 i got black ops ll on order too cant wait to kill me sum zombies and have my house shacking in the process.

Hoss1000 i think u will be happy with a xv15 and remember returning customers get a discount so if u end up needing another
pretsam's Avatar pretsam 05:55 PM 11-05-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss1000 View Post

My budget is in the 800-1000 range for a sub. My initial thoughts were the xv15, but just wanted to double check with you guys. If I need to add a second xv15 that would be a possibility next year, however, I'm coming from a small Polk PSW111 (got it super cheap from a friend as a stop-gap until I could afford a real sub), so I'm guessing a single xv15 is going to blow me away.
I am sitting in the middle of the space, and I know this isn't ideal, but it's about the only option in the space. Any recommendations on sub placement?
Thanks for the replies!

Couple hundred more you could even look into a XV30 new or B if the space is available. See what Tom says about your room options.
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar Tom Vodhanel 09:44 AM 11-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

PSA's Customer Service is TOP notch! Tom emailed me within minutes with a response. His company and products look very good, congrats!

Much appreciated!

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar Tom Vodhanel 09:52 AM 11-06-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubadub View Post

yeah, the middle of the room can have a bass null. experiment with your seating if possible. moving up closer just a foot can make a big difference.

I agree, if the seating is equidistant between two boundaries make every attempt to slide it a LITTLE forward or back(from the screen). As mentioned, even a foot can help significantly.

Regarding the XV15 in the room, very good choice. If possible I would try a front corner and near field placement. The "sub crawl" can pinpoint unexpectedly good locations too.

Don't hesitate to email support with any additional questions. We usually hit the support box quickly----but it may take a day or two to catch up on all the forums.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
TheLaw612's Avatar TheLaw612 12:19 PM 11-06-2012
So my XV15 shipped yesterday and arrived this morning while my wife and I were having our coffee. I helped the Fed Ex driver pull it off the truck and my wife's reaction was "What are you doi...WHAT IS THAT?!" Sadly though I wasn't able to unbox it and fire it up before I left for work this afternoon but I will do that tomorrow morning. I can't wait.

We are actually moving next Friday and my wife thinks it would be a good idea to just leave it boxed up until we move... HAH! Not possible.

Overall the service I have received thus far has been top notch. Tom and his team are wonderful to work with. I'll post thoughts and impressions later on when I can put it through some movies and music.
kaotikr1's Avatar kaotikr1 01:21 PM 11-07-2012
Just when you think you have it all figured out on your next sub purchase you come across someone new and it messes everything up again....

I am excited to have PSA on my list of possibly sub purchases. I look forward to seeing more impressions.

I feel the need to praise Tom for answering my emails so promptly and providing such a wealth of information.

I have been burned by a couple ID companies in the past so I am making sure I make a sound judgement on my next move... smile.gif
radiofrog's Avatar radiofrog 03:34 PM 11-07-2012
Wow! My sub is already here today (finalized the order this weekend). I can't wait to hook it up after work tonight! #earlychristmas
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27 05:55 PM 11-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

Just when you think you have it all figured out on your next sub purchase you come across someone new and it messes everything up again....
I am excited to have PSA on my list of possibly sub purchases. I look forward to seeing more impressions.
I feel the need to praise Tom for answering my emails so promptly and providing such a wealth of information.
I have been burned by a couple ID companies in the past so I am making sure I make a sound judgement on my next move... smile.gif
Don't worry, your not going to get burned with PSA. Tom and Jim are also pros in the CS department.
ahblaza's Avatar ahblaza 08:06 PM 11-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Don't worry, your not going to get burned with PSA. Tom and Jim are also pros in the CS department.

Man I can't say enough about Tom and CS, I've been buggin him for two weeks straight non stop. I have never had the experience I did with any company regardless of what they were selling that I have with PSA, I feel like I've known Tom for years, talking shop, shooting the breeze, you name it we talked it. Just got my automated call from Fedex earlier, that item #1181 (XV15) will arrive Thursday and a signature is required biggrin.gif shipped today, I'm that close to PSA. Told the wife to expect something big in the morning,biggrin.gif she got real excited until I told her it wasn't a part of me..........Thanks Tom eek.gif
av addiction's Avatar av addiction 08:11 PM 11-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Man I can't say enough about Tom and CS, I've been buggin him for two weeks straight non stop. I have never had the experience I did with any company regardless of what they were selling that I have with PSA, I feel like I've known Tom for years, talking shop, shooting the breeze, you name it we talked it. Just got my automated call from Fedex earlier, that item #1181 (XV15) will arrive Thursday and a signature is required biggrin.gif shipped today, I'm that close to PSA. Told the wife to expect something big in the morning, she got real excited until I told her it wasn't a part of me..........Thanks Tom eek.gif

Congratulation on your purchase. You will enjoy the xv15 many years to come biggrin.gif
ahblaza's Avatar ahblaza 08:37 PM 11-07-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by av addiction View Post

Congratulation on your purchase. You will enjoy the xv15 many years to come biggrin.gif

Thanks, I plan on it. Hopefully sooner than later the XV15 will have a sibling to play with.biggrin.gif
TheLaw612's Avatar TheLaw612 09:55 PM 11-07-2012
So I was able to unbox the XV15 this morning (rough doing it by myself) and quickly set it up to watch a few scenes before I left for work. First one I played was the sound cannon scene from The Incredible Hulk... HOLY CRAP. Unbelievable. I now know what everyone means when they say they are hearing and feeling things they never knew were there with their old subs.

Second movie I played was the first Transformers. I played a few different scenes with the same result. Unreal bass that I never knew was there. I can't wait to actually sit down and enjoy this thing for a few hours.

With the way one XV15 sounds/feels, I can't imagine what some people are experience with two of these beasts.

Funny side note - in my haste to set it up I accidentally left my front speakers set to large after calibration and was initially worried with the lack of bass. Then I went back and set them back to small and was blown away.
emesnik's Avatar emesnik 02:54 PM 11-08-2012
I got my XV15 unboxed and connected. After a quick call to PSA to understand the gain control is a little different than most and is designed to be set on the high side, I was ready for a quick try out before worrying about location or exact settings. I popped in some Zeppelin out of due respect to always have Zeppelin be heard first through any audio item I buy. Then a quick run through some Avatar scenes, some live Rush and then some Transformers all crunched into about 30 minutes. All I can say is WOW... and if it sounds this freaking good without considering best placement, etc. I can't wait until I get it dialed in.
av addiction's Avatar av addiction 05:51 PM 11-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post

Thanks, I plan on it. Hopefully sooner than later the XV15 will have a sibling to play with.biggrin.gif

I bet you will cool.gif
av addiction's Avatar av addiction 05:55 PM 11-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLaw612 View Post

With the way one XV15 sounds/feels, I can't imagine what some people are experience with two of these beasts.

Bass Addiction never stop.
You will get another one for sure my friend.biggrin.gif
Slingblayde's Avatar Slingblayde 11:24 AM 11-10-2012
Hi guys, this is probably an odd/ridiculous question but, anybody have problems with monsters like these subs popping breakers when rocking out movies? I dont mean the breakers in the amps on the subs, I mean on your electrical panel lol.
Im pretty much a n00b when it comes to HT and am in the process of building one in the basement now. I want to try to plan for power requirements, but how do I plan for them when I dont know where I have to place 1 or 2 subs. I dont have drywall up yet and dont want to run into a problem of not enough juice, especially since I have lots of room in the panel to add additional power.
Ideally I want to place the subs on either side of my screen so it looks symmetrical (eljaycanuck style) but I cant know if they are going to sound good there. I cant subcrawl without any drywall up can I?
Is it recommended to place an XV30 on a separate breaker? once its is pounding while a movie is on, with a couple lamps or whatever also on the same circuit is it going to be drawing too much?

Sheesh, being a n00b is a drag!
jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 12:11 PM 11-10-2012
Peak (dynamic) watts on the XV30 is 1500w, so at 120volts that would be about 12.5amps. It has a 750W RMS (continuous) which is about 6.5amps. So you really shouldn't have any troubles tripping breakers at your panel. I've been running dual Polk Audio DSW MicroPRO 3000 subs and they have 2400watts peak and 1200w RMS on the same circiut and have never had a problem. Of course I'm not claiming to be an expert or an electrician so maybe someone else can weigh in but I think you should be okay.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 01:50 PM 11-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

Hi guys, this is probably an odd/ridiculous question but, anybody have problems with monsters like these subs popping breakers when rocking out movies? I dont mean the breakers in the amps on the subs, I mean on your electrical panel lol.
Im pretty much a n00b when it comes to HT and am in the process of building one in the basement now. I want to try to plan for power requirements, but how do I plan for them when I dont know where I have to place 1 or 2 subs. I dont have drywall up yet and dont want to run into a problem of not enough juice, especially since I have lots of room in the panel to add additional power.

I recently went through your above question in another thread and FWIW I'm still butt burned regarding how poorly my question was handled. The following will give you accurate (empirical) information in which to answer your above question.

Here's a PDF file that gives accurate information to help answer your question. See Pg 4, for 20A, breaker information.

For pertinent information, one needs to find out what the manufacture of their electric service box is and then put the name of the service box manufacture plus circuit breaker amperage and; "circuit breaker time current curves" into their search engine. Use the following as a search engine template:

"Murray 20A circuit breaker time current curves"

With this information one will be able to easily figure out exactly what the circuit's, circuit breaker is capable of and for how long. You'll also need to find out what the constant current draw is of all the appliances that will be plugged into the circuit as the circuit demand is a total of all the appliances plugged into the same circuit; constant demand vs peak demand.

As an example, ambient internal wall temperature aside, the above curve is for our panel's breakers (120V/60Hz) and it shows our 20A breakers can hold a 60A surge for, at minimum, approximately ten seconds. For perspective, a pair of Seaton, SubMersive HP's, running hot, each draw about 800W continuous or about 1,600W for the pair; max amplifier demand for one amplifier is ~2,400W; 4,800W for a pair. As you can see, the peak demand our living room circuit is capable of handling, for short bursts of under ten seconds in duration, is some 7,200W. It's all about resistance and temperature wise, how hot the wall wiring is going get as nobody wants their house burned down due to a newly rented Blu-ray movie.

If your walls are open, it never hurts to have a couple of dedicated 20A circuits run to your equipment wall. This allows for one to have a dedicated breaker for subs and to have a second dedicated breaker for a separate outboard amplifier. In the future, if you plan to go all Home Theater crazy, make sure and have the basement electrical, wired for crazy; separate 20A breakers on each wall. If the walls are open, then it's nothing more than running wires to the breakers. It will depend on the age of your electric service box and what it's rated capacity is; 90A vs 200A. Breaker wise, being the wall is open, what's prudent to have installed is dependent on how crazy you plan to get, now and well into the future. I also recommend, for a few bucks more, have all duplex outlets be of a "hospital" grade for durability and have gangs of two/three duplex outlets installed; four/six plug capability. It's your call.

Never allow one to talk you out of upgrades, logic says you should have installed. If one is at home, it's always better to have more than less. Discuss your concerns with the individual doing the electrical work and let them know that when the wallboard is in place, you don't want to worry about the future. Hope the above helps.

-
ZOOM ZOOM's Avatar ZOOM ZOOM 11:24 AM 11-11-2012
you never really know what a builder has done when it comes to electrical wiring in a home. I have seen new & old homes where the outlets and lights are on the same curcuit. so when you run heave amps through your outlets... the lights dim. in other words, every house set up can be different. earlier today I was putting my system through a hard run. An emotiva xpa3 and PSA15V. after about one and a half hours I noticed a smell. the kind that you never want to smell from your electronics. emotiva amps are known for running cool, but at the level I was pushing, it was hot. because of this I checked all my other equipment, and power cords. the 15V sub was cool and the electrical outlet cover along with the power cords were also cool. I turned the volume down but enjoyed the time I had. I used Mannheim Steamroller Fresh aire III as my first choice to see what my PSA 15V could do. The bass was clean and deep.I felt the music like never before. Tom was a great person to work with. he makes you fill as if you are the only one he is dealing with. clearly he is a busy man. his CS is great.

this is my story in picking the PSA 15V.
I was looking at the HSU VTF3 for HT & music. I ran across articles of the PSA15. after much research comparing the two, I decided to go with the PSA15 ported sub. my deciding factors were the basch 500 watt RMS amp over the HSU smaller 350 W Rms. yes the HSU has a higher short term power of 1400w as some people were pointing out, but I'm of the old school belief that RMS power is a better standard than total peak power. The psa has no delivery charge. So both amps price out the same. From what I had read, I fill that once some comparisons come out on this sub it will come out tops in it's price range. so I decided to get the PSA15V. I can't give you any comparisons, none of my friends have any thing to compare this to. I will say that I'm happy with the performance of this sub. My sytem composes of an emotiva xp3, Wharfedale 10.1 speakers and a 12" ported non powered sub. I have a large open floor plan with 15' vaulted ceilings. I have not had a chance to test this sub with a THX movie yet, but the indications for this sub are good. As one person pointed out.... I need to set my speakers to small. I never would have thought of that.smile.gif
Ely51um's Avatar Ely51um 02:04 PM 11-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post

I talked/emailed with Josh a week or so ago and I believe we are likely looking toward the end of October for his review to be completed...maybe a bit sooner.

I just wanted to say that Josh Ricci's review is the only thing I'm waiting on before deciding to pull the trigger on an XV15, so I'm really hoping that it will be out sometime this month. I have little doubt that it's an excellent unit though, considering the several positive remarks from those who've already taken the plunge - it's just that $800 is a lot for me to drop on this kind of gear and I'd feel more comfortable if I could read at least one third party review before going forward.

Also, every time I read your name it somehow translates to 'Tom Bombadil' in my head. tongue.gif
walke108's Avatar walke108 03:26 PM 11-11-2012
Can anyone tell me if they change up their phase control at all? I have owned many subs but haven't ever messed with it. I was thinking of playing around with it a little bit with my XV-15. Any opinions? Should I just leave well enough alone?
radiofrog's Avatar radiofrog 03:44 PM 11-12-2012
This weekend I got my XS15 all set up, ran Audyssey, and got right to playing.

I figured I would start out with a little Skrillex test (dubstep) at moderate volume. It freaked my cat the f out.
I re-auditioned a buch of other tracks: blues, classical, metal, rock; then I rewatched The Avengers and some bits of Tron: Legacy... it's like getting a whole new sound system!
This puts to shame any other sub I've owned. It just keeps making me smile. biggrin.gif
walke108's Avatar walke108 03:58 PM 11-12-2012
Audioholics put out on their Facebook account that we should see a review on the XV-15 at the end of this week or early next week.
Slingblayde's Avatar Slingblayde 04:05 PM 11-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I recently went through your above question in another thread and FWIW I'm still butt burned regarding how poorly my question was handled. The following will give you accurate (empirical) information in which to answer your above question.
Here's a PDF file that gives accurate information to help answer your question. See Pg 4, for 20A, breaker information.
For pertinent information, one needs to find out what the manufacture of their electric service box is and then put the name of the service box manufacture plus circuit breaker amperage and; "circuit breaker time current curves" into their search engine. Use the following as a search engine template:
"Murray 20A circuit breaker time current curves"
With this information one will be able to easily figure out exactly what the circuit's, circuit breaker is capable of and for how long. You'll also need to find out what the constant current draw is of all the appliances that will be plugged into the circuit as the circuit demand is a total of all the appliances plugged into the same circuit; constant demand vs peak demand.
As an example, ambient internal wall temperature aside, the above curve is for our panel's breakers (120V/60Hz) and it shows our 20A breakers can hold a 60A surge for, at minimum, approximately ten seconds. For perspective, a pair of Seaton, SubMersive HP's, running hot, each draw about 800W continuous or about 1,600W for the pair; max amplifier demand for one amplifier is ~2,400W; 4,800W for a pair. As you can see, the peak demand our living room circuit is capable of handling, for short bursts of under ten seconds in duration, is some 7,200W. It's all about resistance and temperature wise, how hot the wall wiring is going get as nobody wants their house burned down due to a newly rented Blu-ray movie.
If your walls are open, it never hurts to have a couple of dedicated 20A circuits run to your equipment wall. This allows for one to have a dedicated breaker for subs and to have a second dedicated breaker for a separate outboard amplifier. In the future, if you plan to go all Home Theater crazy, make sure and have the basement electrical, wired for crazy; separate 20A breakers on each wall. If the walls are open, then it's nothing more than running wires to the breakers. It will depend on the age of your electric service box and what it's rated capacity is; 90A vs 200A. Breaker wise, being the wall is open, what's prudent to have installed is dependent on how crazy you plan to get, now and well into the future. I also recommend, for a few bucks more, have all duplex outlets be of a "hospital" grade for durability and have gangs of two/three duplex outlets installed; four/six plug capability. It's your call.
Never allow one to talk you out of upgrades, logic says you should have installed. If one is at home, it's always better to have more than less. Discuss your concerns with the individual doing the electrical work and let them know that when the wallboard is in place, you don't want to worry about the future. Hope the above helps.
-

Thanks for the info BeeMan, Im going to talk to my friend who is doing the electrical to run a separate breaker specifically for the 2 subs along the wall with the screen on it. I already have 2 separate plugs on dedicated breakers in the closet the MA rack is going in. AAAAND I talked to Tom on the phone today, and through several emails on the weekend, and I should have a pair of XV15's sitting at my buddy's house over in Detroit on Wednesday biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif WOOHOO. hope I dont get a hernia lifting them into my sisters truck.

Now all I need is the AVR and I can start placing speakers in the areas they will be mounted in and running some wires to test things out a bit before drywall gets started.
eljaycanuck's Avatar eljaycanuck 04:16 PM 11-12-2012
Quote:
... I talked to Tom on the phone today, and through several emails on the weekend, and I should have a pair of XV15's sitting at my buddy's house over in Detroit on Wednesday biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif WOOHOO.
Congrats on the new subs! cool.gif Whether or not you set them up "eljaycanuck style" - smile.gif - I have a feeling you're going to be very satisfied with your purchase. biggrin.gif
Ely51um's Avatar Ely51um 04:31 PM 11-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by walke108 View Post

Audioholics put out on their Facebook account that we should see a review on the XV-15 at the end of this week or early next week.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm really looking forward to reading this review.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 05:31 PM 11-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

Thanks for the info...

biggrin.gif

I look forward to your first impressions.
vardo's Avatar vardo 08:52 PM 11-12-2012
All these comments and impressions of the XV-15's are putting a smile on my face. I ordered duals on Saturday evening (after a few emails with Tom),
and the XV-15's were shipped out today! Got the tracking numbers this afternoon. Great service. Can't wait to set 'em up.

vardo smile.gif
Slingblayde's Avatar Slingblayde 09:48 PM 11-12-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Congrats on the new subs! cool.gif Whether or not you set them up "eljaycanuck style" - smile.gif - I have a feeling you're going to be very satisfied with your purchase. biggrin.gif

Ill have to snap a pic for you with them set up eljaycanuck style ;-)

(even though the room is a disaster still)
Tags: Xs30 , Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Denon Avr 3313ci Receiver , Denon Avr 4520ci Receiver , Power Sound Audio , Xv15 , Power Sound Audio Triax , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Denon Avr X4000 7 2 Channel Home Theater Receiver
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop